The paper ban

thorpie the sinner

Phil.

You seem to be suggesting that our Chairman should tell a lie to cover up the reason why he has taken his decision.

I suspect that once people - and the press in particular - saw through that hopelessly thin lie, all sorts of sh1t would hit the fan.

As it is, we have a statement from the club saying in plain old English, not trying to dress it up or hide the fact at all, that this decision was taken solely and simply to make more money for SFC.

And yet, look at all the grief this and other threads have generated on the topic, where the club have come out and openly stated the reason behind the decision! The whole South Coast would have gone into meltdown if the club / Cortese had been found out to be lying!!

Lie vs Marketing Bullsh1t/Spin.

No

I'm saying that even a really BAD decision can be given "an angle" that makes it harder to "fight". ATM the "lack" of an angle makes it a dictat makes it easy for everyone to attack.

An example - Ryan Air - standing room only on his aircraft. A ludicrous idea (if you are 6ft tall you CAN'T stand up under the hat rack in a 737) BUT it has the angle of "It will allow people to fly for a pound" - FFS they can do that already if they book during a sale period, but people are saying oh great. (also the pound for a pee decision - simple money making decision "It will allow us to continue to keep our fares low for the benefit of our customers - yeah right)

Green taxes on flying - The UK put the charge on tickets the population say great well done - but around half of those who fly through UK are transit passengers who all feck off to other airlines from countries that don't charge it and bingo - airlines are losing money and will go bust or ask for handouts.... so the decision is a bad one commercially but everyone loves it. And then of course everone in the Uk then moans about Ryan Air charging all these add ons when they try and buy their one pound standing up ticket and it costs them 40 quid....

IMHO it is a commercially sound concept. One that other clubs would LIKE to implement. The Press already PAY for pictures from other sports. It also (possibly) has some relevance as we climb the leagues in view of the Image Rights v Tax issues. So it is a SOUND decision for the right reasons.

One of my work mates, his son in law works at SMC and Cortese was spitting blood yesterday.

Tell him to leave a few copies of the sun around today because in the pools section and the fixtures section we're refered to as "South Coast Team". The Sun are not going lose this battle.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by up and away viewpost-right.png

Here's another picture closer to home. Papers / freelance make money from these pictures with the image rights. Don't get confused with freedom of the press, when Murdoch will drag your sorry arse into court if you try taking liberties with any image rights he holds, with not even a muttering of "freedom of the press". It's all about money, nothing else.

How much money is being made on photos from League one matches exactly? Do you really think this is some kind of goldmine the national press have been depriving poor liddle Cortese of?

Whatever this is about it isn't about money. If we were that desperate for money we'd have a bloody shirt sponsor, we wouldn't be on the selling-photos-of-Dan-Harding-taking-a-throw-in gravy train :rolleyes: .

THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. Why do Premier clubs do this then? Previously photographers had to pay a set fee for being allowed to take photographs, with the club having no rights over the images. This is more about putting everything in place for the future rather than now. Even in our pomp we were never going to command that much for image rights, until you get a home cup game against ManU and all of a sudden that goes out the window. This is one part which gives us control over our merchandising, giving us the right to earn possible revenue from this rather than others. No newspaper is going to like this because it nibbles into their margins, but they are quick in defending any item they hold image rights on.

Just read that whole thread :scared:

They're quite an evil bunch really arent they. Jealous, Much.

Scumhampton appear ever more up their own arses as each week passes. They are like the condemned man falling down the gallows and finding the rope snaps to find not only is he alive but he's got a rather large inheritance and he then goes around being a ****** about it to all and sundry. I find the whole team and everything about them incredibly arrogant and tedious, to be treated with utter contempt. Southampton & Pompey, the arsehole and gammy ***** of league football.

Liked this persons signature though lol;

**** off, I hope your boyfriend punches you in the head as he is ramming you up the chocolate fun slot.

Seriously, if we were ANY kind of fans we'd rally behind the club and NOT behind the fecking SCUM!! Of ALL papers? Seriously? Murdoch cares about as much about freedom of the press as my cat, he's out to exploit whatever money he can from whoever he can.

If I went to the Sun for a picture of a Saints game they would CHARGE me for something that they obtained Gratis... so where do saints get their cut?

The fact is this has actually INCREASED our coverage in the press and while papers not having access to our pictures won't bother them now, just wait and see how hacked off they'll be should we draw a big name in the FA cup or gain promotion to the PL? They'll be worried then.

What Saints fans SHOULD be doing is organising a boycott of the SCUM rather than criticisng the Chairman of our club for trying to exploit a revenue gaining opportunity, mark my words it might not make us much money now, but it would do if we make the PL.

And this is NOT about freedom of the press, it's about money, simple as.

Seriously, if we were ANY kind of fans we'd rally behind the club and NOT behind the fecking SCUM!! Of ALL papers? Seriously? Murdoch cares about as much about freedom of the press as my cat, he's out to exploit whatever money he can from whoever he can.

If I went to the Sun for a picture of a Saints game they would CHARGE me for something that they obtained Gratis... so where do saints get their cut?

The fact is this has actually INCREASED our coverage in the press and while papers not having access to our pictures won't bother them now, just wait and see how hacked off they'll be should we draw a big name in the FA cup or gain promotion to the PL? They'll be worried then.

What Saints fans SHOULD be doing is organising a boycott of the SCUM rather than criticisng the Chairman of our club for trying to exploit a revenue gaining opportunity, mark my words it might not make us much money now, but it would do if we make the PL.

Well said, stop buying the sun, simple. I suspect that just one person who stops buying the sun, will cost them as must a the photo they refuse to buy. So I for one, whilst only buying it on occasion, will now add it to my banned list along with the Echo.

I'm not rallying behind the 'SCUM' at all, and if you read carefully, you'll see that most others don't care about them that much either. What they care about is the effect it will have on SFC in the long run.

Saints are included in the same arrangement as the other 91 league clubs in signing up for Football DataCo to represent them when it comes to accreditation of photographer and licencing of picture reproduction. As I've typed several times now. That is how Saints are paid. This does not stop Saints ALSO obtaining revenue from selling their own pictures (which they have done for years, and can still do.)

What Saints have done is simply restrict access so that they control the market.

Careful NTKM, I will do what I feel it is right to do. I am as certain as I can be (and am more than happy to be proved wrong if it doesn't happen) that we will NOT make much money on this AT ALL, because media and other outlets will NOT buy pictures from us. Also, it will be interesting to see if any agency takes on the role, given that they would also likely suffer a boycott from the media. And bearing in mind agencies depend on a LOT more than just pictures of Saints, I can't see any established agency worth it's salt, taking up Saints offer.

On this point I agree completely. But that now instead of the quality of pictures dictating which ones earn the money, Saints are now just trying to control the market, to the detriment of all other agencies, newspapers AND clubs, who will probably question the validity of the agreement in light of the Football DataCo position.

All in all, I can see this being damaging to SFC, which is what I care about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/10/southampton-photography-ban

Not sure if this has been posted, but the agency appointed to distribute the photos has just pulled out - Pressure from the press?

Whatever the reason, where does that leave us?

When you say us, what you really mean is Cortese, because he is the one that has dug himself into this hole. As to where it leaves him well he's going to have to gracefully back down or become a comical figure in the national press.

Hopefully he will learn from this mistake and it'll do him good because he's become too big for his boots.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010...hotography-ban

Not sure if this has been posted, but the agency appointed to distribute the photos has just pulled out - Pressure from the press?

Whatever the reason, where does that leave us?

Did post this a few pages back.

I'm sure there will be some small unknown company that would jump at the opportunity to be solely responsible for the photos on behalf of the club. Despite going against all of the other media companies out there. Cortese will work his "magic" and find another one...

I'm sure there will be some small unknown company that would jump at the opportunity to be solely responsible for the photos on behalf of the club. Despite going against all of the other media companies out there. Cortese will work his "magic" and find another one...

I'm not so sure about that because any company that acts as an agent will I feel become pariahs amongst the press. I wouldn't be at all surprised if newspaper editors haven't made a few calls to the main players already to advise them on how they feel.

I'm not so sure about that because any company that acts as an agent will I feel become pariahs amongst the press.

Indeed. How many photos are there in UK media on a daily basis? How many of those are of SFC?

Any agency signing up to this risks losing all their other business. No one is likely to risk that except a smaller agency just starting out with little to lose, but then they risk having nothing else to gain.

Hi All,

I just wanted to quickly say that i'm so glad that a lot of you are now realizing that the football club isn't as safe as everyone thought a year ago. Having recently left employment at the club (voluntarily), mainly down to certain people there, Cortese included, and not liking the way the club is being run, i am very glad to be out! Love the team and Pardew, but the management is shocking and it affects the whole club and team, and stuff like this has been happening none stop since Cortese took over. He makes ridiculous decisions, and then goes back on it when he realizes he was wrong. I know most of the office was looking for jobs when i left!... just thought you should all know incase anyone was still thinking Cortese is a God! - Markus yes, Cortese no

What if the contract is that the company will get x% of sales? No one will buy the photos and therefore they wont get a penny.

Could be why the other company pulled out.

Hi All,

I just wanted to quickly say that i'm so glad that a lot of you are now realizing that the football club isn't as safe as everyone thought a year ago. Having recently left employment at the club (voluntarily), mainly down to certain people there, Cortese included, and not liking the way the club is being run, i am very glad to be out! Love the team and Pardew, but the management is shocking and it affects the whole club and team, and stuff like this has been happening none stop since Cortese took over. He makes ridiculous decisions, and then goes back on it when he realizes he was wrong. I know most of the office was looking for jobs when i left!... just thought you should all know incase anyone was still thinking Cortese is a God! - Markus yes, Cortese no

all my own opinion of course

No one is likely to risk that except a smaller agency just starting out with little to lose, but then they risk having nothing else to gain.
This is my point, I'm sure if a small company was struggling they would snap up the opportunity. I know that prob won't happen as that small company wouldnt be good enough for cortese anyway, but I just dont think Cortese will back down so I dont know how this will end....

...Maybe people will just forget about this and things will carry on as normal...

Hi All,

Which of the anti-cortese posters on here were you before you re-created yourself as "Camera"? :D

Since newspaper photographers since the year immemorial have taken pictures of games over the years it appears to me that "image rights" may be rather difficult to defend in law. With the size of cameras available anyone can take pictures. Is the club really going to pursue every printed picture in the courts for payment? If so, then the press is going to have a jolly time with us whilst NC is rushing from court to court with a posse of lawyers.......Maybe this is just one of those decisions which will wordlessly slither into the long grass.

Hi All,

It is disappointing reading posts like this. The feelgood factor is fading away and we will be back to the infighting we had over the last 5 years.

Hi All,

Just goes to show everything people suspects of cortese is true. I'd hoped it wasnt and that all is well within SFC.... Think I may bury my head in the sand from now on and not listen to anything other than "sport" news regarding the club.

Just goes to show everything people suspects of cortese is true. I'd hoped it wasnt and that all is well within SFC.... Think I may bury my head in the sand from now on and not listen to anything other than "sport" news regarding the club.

You know for a fact that this is a genuine ex-employee, do you ?

It could be Rupert Lowe for all we know.

As it seems the user has no problem making his former employer known to the forum, I will assume he/she has no problem with me confirming it.

Are you confirming it in saying that or you WILL confirm it?

Obviously I don't know it for fact no. I think it at least sounded genuine and something an unhappy ex-employee would say.

Hi All,

How many times do we hear these stories from "insiders" at all companies not just SFC. There will be unhappy campers in every company surely? Camera, not backing Cortese, just noting that it's usually unhappy voices that are heard over those who are content.

We also had these things said about Hoon, Dullieu (sp?) etc when they came in and made difficult decisions.

Camera, why would these sort of decisions make you leave SFC? Are they having a direct effect on on you as an employee? Could you give an example of a stupid decision that has made you leave your job @ SFC? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just interested on how NC is having an impact on normal employees.

So there we have proof about how things are at SMS from an ex employee. Now watch everyone say he shouldn't be trusted and everything is rosy.

It's not proof of how things are - it's an ex employee's viewpoint.

It's a bit dodgy for him posting what he has so if I was a mod i'd do the decent thing and remove his post and any quotes of his post.

The only difficulty with Camera is that people who have left, are on the outisde, will always be disgruntled in some shape or form.

There are plenty of North Korean defectors who have overstated much of the regime, similarly with the former Iraqis.

Definitely not questioning Camera as I don't know the chap/chappette, just trying to achieve a little bit of balance with all of this. Some good, some bad, that kind of thing.

It is disappointing reading posts like this. The feelgood factor is fading away and we will be back to the infighting we had over the last 5 years.

Not really Nick.

I'm sure you've been around the business world long enough to know that when a new management structure is put in place a lot of the 'old guard' will be upset with the new policies and procedures, especially if it means their 'cushy' job role is changed - I expect there were quite a few 'cushy' roles under the previous regimes....

I would take the post for exactly what it is, one ex-employee disgruntled with his/her previous employer.

So there we have proof about how things are at SMS from an ex employee. Now watch everyone say he shouldn't be trusted and everything is rosy.

Hypo, my only comeback on your statement would be Camera left "mainly down to certain people there, Cortese included, and not liking the way the club is being run". So it's not just NC that he/she has a problem with is it.

Hypo, my only comeback on your statement would be Camera left "mainly down to certain people there, Cortese included, and not liking the way the club is being run". So it's not just NC that he/she has a problem with is it.

I have never said it is just NC, but as the chief executive, ultimately he is responsible for how things are.

I have never said it is just NC, but as the chief executive, ultimately he is responsible for how things are.

I stand corrected then. From your previous posts on the subject I was under the impression that you thought most of the wrongs @ SMS we due to Cortese.

From my own perspective, there are no rose tinted specs, just trying to step back and seeing that Camera's issue is with more than one person at the club. As WSS pointed out when things change a percentage of the employees at that org are disaffected. This happens in every organisation; the disaffected staff are the ones whose voices normally get heard.

I'm seriously interested to know from the OP by Camera, which decisions NC has made and then back tracked on. To the point where he/she would leave their job.