The paper ban

thorpie the sinner

The Sun will soon forget, will they print a special edition when we get promoted or win the JPT again??? Soon more clubs will be doing this if it is such a money spinner?

However it does seem NC feels better when he is upsetting people! Southampton FC friendly family club, oh those were the days.

That article missed the best bit.

WARNING

there is no mention of a once-proud South Coast club in this report. This is entirely down to the cretinous behaviour of its crazed chief, Nicola Cortese

Keep going I say Mr Cortese

That article missed the best bit.

Keep going I say Mr Cortese

I can't believe any Saints fans are happy at the way our chairman is turning us into the most hated club in the country.... worse than dirty Leeds, worse than cheating Pompey

I can't believe any Saints fans are happy at the way our chairman is turning us into the most hated club in the country.... worse than dirty Leeds, worse than cheating Pompey

Setady on patred!!

The dirty Leeds bit yeah....................but hush your mouth on the last bit!

Edited by countysaint
typo

hated club in the country?? slight over reaction! fans of other clubs coulnt give a flying, cant believe that people get so upset because we have !ssed off the sun!!

Cortese is a liability and an embarrassment. I hope Mr Liebherr realises this.

sorry, dont agree, are you really embarrassed about this?

Lets cast our minds back to August 2009, the takeover is complete and NC says that he wants us to be self sufficient. Later on NC is invited by the league to, for want of a better phrase, look at the books. Since then he has implemented in house catering, and now images, designed imo to aid us to become self sufficient. It would not surprise me if this wasnt something that wasnt discussed with the FL

Since when has anyone liked the press?

Thats not the point though is it ?

The bottom line is if you **** off the press for no sound reason, and this isnt a sound reason by a long chalk, then they in turn will stir the brown stuff for you big time, will paint you in a negative light and will generally turn any positives for that club into a negative.

Mr Cortese needs to remember what division we are in. If we were a Premiership big boy doing this it might just make a difference but we are a First Division club and the attitude of the press and public alike will probably be "who the hell do they think they are".......and they have a point.

Lets cast our minds back to August 2009, the takeover is complete and NC says that he wants us to be self sufficient. Later on NC is invited by the league to, for want of a better phrase, look at the books. Since then he has implemented in house catering, and now images, designed imo to aid us to become self sufficient. It would not surprise me if this wasnt something that wasnt discussed with the FL

NC strikes me as the type of person who won't change his mind so his stance on photography will limit the club when it comes to sponsorship next season and therefore contrary to making the club money it will cost the club money. The press are not going to back down to some little noddy club which is what we are.

not amongst fans or pundits just editors and journos - although bad hardly the scale of Leeds or Skates

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/06/southampton-fc-bans-press-photographers

"The issue came to light yesterday when local media applying for accreditation were informed of the plan and, separately, a press conference on an upcoming match was arranged for broadcasters while national and local papers were not invited"

Personally I think the whole thing is a bit OTT

While at the same time deciding not to take up a shirt sponsor for the season, which might bring in a teensy bit more money than the zero pounds this dopey photo ban is going to rake in.

I like Corteses stance on this because why should "outsiders" so to speak get free images?

In a world where image rights seem to be a major talking point, Cortese is meerely protecting the clubs rights.

If this strategy was implemented across football then each club would make money off the back of their photos because the media written and digital would have to purchase every image. This would create anotherincine stream albeit a relatively small one but over time may be lucrative.

The press ( the sun in this case ) obviously hate it because something they have got for free or indeed paid their own photographer for is now going to cost them. Tough!

And when or how many Saints related photos are in any publication currently and how often last season did The Sun in particular publish a Saints picture. Very few if at all any I suspect!!

Noticed The Pink had pictures taken from Sky, IMO all this crap has gone on for to long it is time for all the parties concerned to sit down and sort it out and stop behaving like spoilt children.

There's only one spoilt kid in all of this to be fair. Cortese has gone looking for a fight and he's picked on boys that are bigger than him.

NC has shot himself in the foot this time.

He may think he's the big boss but he's going to come unstuck.......

What would you know? He is the boss btw and is answerable to nobody bar mr liebherr. Stop being such a drama queen, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride.

For what its worth, the nationals have been ****ing me off for years with ass licking of the 'big' 4.

Saints vs man u. Whole page about united blah blah, small paragraph at the bottom, btw saints won 3-0.

**** em all.

No one likes us, we don't care

That goes for sky as well

This is a no win situation for NC & Saints now. No agency will be are suppler now & even if we got our own photographer no one would buy the pictures anyway. This will cause more damage than any minimal gains made form the image rights IMHO. NC may be a hard nosed buisness man & not one for making reverses on decisions he has made, but he needs to think very hard about doing it on this occasion. The papers (appears now its not just the Sun its all of them) will be looking for any little anti-Saints angle now & looking to increase the already considerable pressure that the players & staff are under, do the club & players really need this at this time of the season? Is it really worth it NC?

The papers (appears now its not just the Sun its all of them) will be looking for any little anti-Saints angle now & looking to increase the already considerable pressure that the players & staff are under, do the club & players really need this at this time of the season? Is it really worth it NC?

If what some people are saying is true, maybe this is exactly what NC wants. The sooner he has a valid reason to make the changes he apparently wants to make, etc, etc......

**** em, who cares?!? I want SFC to be successful, I don't care about what some ****ty rags think! What have the nationals possibly got to offer us? If they want images from SFC then sod them, let them pay for the privilege. I doubt a Newcastle fan picking up the Sun today is thinking "why-I pet, that Cortese is a ******!"

Remember AC Milan wanted NC; one of the biggest teams in the world ...then again I suppose we're all football know-it-alls on here so we must know better than the AC board!!

First the Echo, now the nationals. Football is a media led business, and ****ing off the Sun is a mistake. You can afford to perhaps tweak the medias nose every now and then when you're Mann United, but we ain't.

Anybody who thinks this is not important or even a good thing, doesn't know how the media works, or our status within the football, media, business, pyramid.

Ive seen Southampton mentioned more in the press in the last few days than the last 2 or 3 years. It's a good think. We never got in the sun anyway so who cares what they think

But as someone has already pointed out, when you **** off the media, especialy when you go around acting like Billy-Big-****** when you're a 3rd Division club, will simply encourage the media to print lots of negative, unsettling stories about you.

Nobody in their right mind picks a fight with the British press.

**** em, who cares?!? I want SFC to be successful, I don't care about what some ****ty rags think! What have the nationals possibly got to offer us? If they want images from SFC then sod them, let them pay for the privilege. I doubt a Newcastle fan picking up the Sun today is thinking "why-I pet, that Cortese is a ******!"

Remember AC Milan wanted NC; one of the biggest teams in the world ...then again I suppose we're all football know-it-alls on here so we must know better than the AC board!!

Maybe NC would do ok at AC Milan because they are a big club with a big think tank behind the scenes. If kept on a short leash i'm sure NC could offer them a lot, but at SFC he is all powerful and frankly he seems to be struggling on his own.

And....? So what?

And so, Einstein, the press will delight in printing any and every negative media story they can find. Any unsettling rumour about player unrest. Any story that will rock the boat. Thats the way they do things.

All because NC wants to do it his way and didn't stop to consider the implications.

There is such a tiny benifit for SFC (if there is one at all), compared to a very large negative impact. And the fact NC couldn't see that is the most worrying thing.

And the fact NC couldn't see that is the most worrying thing.

Precisely. 99% of posters on here would surely recognise that confronting the british press is not a good idea and yet NC has now banned the Echo and more foolishly taken on fleet street. I don't think he really understands how things work in this country.

I think you will find AC Milan emphatically denied this

I for one always enjoy reading the national's report of our games because it is written from an unbiased standpoint.

The Observer's write-up of the Saints v Pompey Cup-tie last season is a perfect example.

When compiling writing the books I have always preferred to quote national rather than local reports.

If the media boycott Saints then it will impact our brand and reduce sponsorship. While I don't particularly care what the tabloids think of my club, I think ZERO coverage is a very bad idea.

Precisely. 99% of posters on here would surely recognise that confronting the british press is not a good idea and yet NC has now banned the Echo and more foolishly taken on fleet street. I don't think he really understands how things work in this country.

The echo are not banned

Let's not forget who owns the Sun.......

We would have received some healthy revenue from Sky on Saturday.

And don't forget that all journalists mix in the same bars and rivalry between the papers is just a front. They'll stick together when it comes to SFC and Cortese and I predict we will see a sustained campaign of negative press. Cortese won't win this battle.

Just read the sun match report this morning entitled 'Opposition 0 Plymouth 1'.......Oh dear, we really are gaining no friends at all! NC is winding up the nationals big time!!!!!!!! This could be a long long season!

I'm sure we were responsible for the Hillsborough disaster too - I think I read in in the Sun next week