Bi-Polar Disorder -Saints Support Group

saintbob40

Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated mood clinically referred to as mania or, if milder, hypomania. Individuals who experience manic episodes also commonly experience depressive episodes or symptoms, or mixed episodes in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time. These episodes are usually separated by periods of "normal" mood, but in some individuals, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, known as rapid cycling. Extreme manic episodes can sometimes lead to psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations.

OK-lets be honest who on this board are suffering from said condition?:rolleyes:

Not sure who it was, but it may have been Sundance or Alpine, but they became very touchy about this being bandied around as a laughable problem. Being depressed and mega happy, then depressed again is no laughing matter (unless you are on the happy bit, but believe me, it might not last, but on a positive side, it could come back, so don't do anything silly while depressed.)

Not sure who it was, but it may have been Sundance or Alpine, but they became very touchy about this being bandied around as a laughable problem. Being depressed and mega happy, then depressed again is no laughing matter (unless you are on the happy bit, but believe me, it might not last, but on a positive side, it could come back, so don't do anything silly while depressed.)

It was Alpine that didn't like me suggesting that the forum was a bit bipolar.

Anyway, I think that case has been proven again over the past month. We can go from mega depressed to over the top happy in 4 days.

Bipolar disorder is a psychiatric diagnosis that describes a category of mood disorders defined by the presence of one or more episodes of abnormally elevated mood clinically referred to as mania or, if milder, hypomania. Individuals who experience manic episodes also commonly experience depressive episodes or symptoms, or mixed episodes in which features of both mania and depression are present at the same time. These episodes are usually separated by periods of "normal" mood, but in some individuals, depression and mania may rapidly alternate, known as rapid cycling. Extreme manic episodes can sometimes lead to psychotic symptoms such as delusions and hallucinations.

OK-lets be honest who on this board are suffering from said condition?:rolleyes:

I don't think it wise or clever to make fun of people, it is a terrible thing to have and I for one would not want it. Just accept that there are those with rose tinted glasses and there are more honest and realistic people. Optimists anoy negatives and vice versa

I am bipolar. Get over it! It really isnt such a big deal so long as meds are taken correctly and nothing is taken to excess. Saying that 5 hospital admissions in 10 years aint such a great record!! Although my latest medication which I have been on for 18 months is very good.

You are a "swing-both-ways-white-bear?"

What we need is a few schizophrenics to boost the attendance figure.

Provided that they pay at least twice that is. ;););)

I am bipolar. Get over it! It really isnt such a big deal so long as meds are taken correctly and nothing is taken to excess. Saying that 5 hospital admissions in 10 years aint such a great record!! Although my latest medication which I have been on for 18 months is very good.

Many thanks Northernsaint. This seemed a bit 'touch and go' but many people have always maintained that the best way to treat conditions is laughter. And in todays PC society, I have found that some of the funniest people are the ones with the conditions themselves.

Point in fact, I worked with a QS called Mathew who was only four foot tall, and I remeber being in a heated meeting with him once telling the client off for not paying us. The client said to him, ' I take it from this you are not happy!' To which he replied, 'No, I'm one of snow whites other dwarfs!!'

Back to the topic.

I am no doctor but a bit of advice:

Your sig says you live in Fleetwood near Blackpool,get the **** out of there!

You are now cured,cheque or Paypal please for £5

I'm with you on this. My brother was only recently diagnosed with it (January this year). He is only 16 but has already speant 4 months in hospital meaning he'll probably have to repeat a year at school, making it harder to connect with his mates. Also he's gone from dux of his grade to around the middle so it really is no joking matter.

I take it you don't know anyone with this condition? or the effects it has on them, their family and friends? otherwise you wouldn't be treating it as a laughing matter.

F**king hell people take things too serious. He was only joking, and jokes are supposed to be controversial!!

When a comedian says a racist/sexist joke it doesn't mean it's their actual opinion.

Calm down people.

I don't know why you've brought racism and sexism into the mix Scotty tbh, they seem largely irrelevant in this instance.

As for this thread, I know the OP wasn't trying to offend anyone. At the very worst he's trivialised the condition in his first post, and I'm not even sure that's completely true.

F**king hell people take things too serious. He was only joking, and jokes are supposed to be controversial!!

When a comedian says a racist/sexist joke it doesn't mean it's their actual opinion.

Calm down people.

You, Sir, are becoming a very wise young man. I fully agree with you and unlike Ponty I do "get" your connection with sexist/racist jokes and the like. In most jokes there is always someone/group, etc that is the brunt of the joke. I struggle to think of any joke of merit that does not laugh at someone's personal situation.

the point and/or the humour was aimed squarely at the flip/flop nature of this board following a good or a bad result not on sufferers of BPD. Lets all move on please.

Comparing this board and the perfectly NORMAL mood swings of football fans to their condition triviallises their suffering.

For heavens sake, when a team goes 3-0 up and then lose 4-3, as we have done at least 2 occasions that I can remember after applying 10nanoseconds of recollective thought, we go through a ridiculous swing of emotion during one game !

Comparing this board and the perfectly NORMAL mood swings of football fans to their condition triviallises their suffering.

For heavens sake, when a team goes 3-0 up and then lose 4-3, as we have done at least 2 occasions that I can remember after applying 10nanoseconds of recollective thought, we go through a ridiculous swing of emotion during one game !

There is nothing particularly normal about the mood swings of some football fans. Most of it is just over emotional self indulgence or self pity.

This thread has become too serious. As it was obviously meant to be light-hearted I am going to add the following :)

A young African lad looks out of his window and spots an elephant walking past. After a few minutes watching it he runs off to find his Mum

"Mudda, what is dat ting dat hangs down from de elephant?"

"Dat is his trunk, my son" she replies

"No, mudda, what is de odda ting that is hanging down from de elephant?"

"Dat is his tail, my son" she replies

"No, mudda, what is the ting dat hangs down BETWEEN de tail and de trunk?"

"Dat is NOTHING, boy, you hear me? NOTHING. Do not ask me again!"

So the lad runs to find his father...

"Fadda, fadda, what is dat ting dat hangs down from de elephant?"

"Dat is his trunk, my son" he replies

"No, fadda, what is de odda ting that is hanging down from de elephant?"

"Dat is his tail, my son" he replies

"No, fadda, what is the ting dat hangs down BETWEEN de tail and de trunk?"

"Errrr....ummm...maybe you should go ask your mudda...." he says

"I did, fadda! She say it was nothing!"

"Ahhhh" replies his father, "Well your mudda has been spoiled..."

I've often thought Saints should be sponsored by The Samaritans.

Seriously, all forms of depression should not be treated lightly. Perhaps Saints could support charities like them and Bipolar Disorder/depression charities such as Aware.

http://www.aware.ie/index.htm

The club does have a good record of supporting important causes, and the response from supporters has always been very positive. One of the many things that makes be proud to be a Saints fan.

Whilst I am sure that no Saints fan wants to see them lose (although there are some on here I wonder about) there is no doubt that some revel in it when we do lose or play badly. They also enjoy finding a scapegoat and ripping the living poo out of him.

You find Drama Queens in all walks of life so no surprise then to find a bunch alive and well on here.

My ex wife was like that, if there wasn't a drama in her life she would soon create one, thrived on the adreneline you see. I guess you could throw in an element of attention seeking too.

Yes football is an emotional game, but there are some people who are able to handle a slump in their clubs fortunes without finding the need to "hate" someone they have never even met or to think that the world was over.

You have to take your hat off to the moaning minnies, how they manage to make such distinctions between a set of managers that most have never met on the basis of a load of third hand gossip on an internet forum never fails to amaze me.

Another sourse of constant amazement is the notion that when we f**k up, we suddenly become a national laughing stock? Most people outside of the deep South couldn't give a tuppeny one about Southampton Football Club, let alone spare a chuckle ot two at our plight.

A couple of wins and the DQs have mellowed a little, but give it one or two bad results and they will be back in droves telling us how the club is "finished", how no one knows what they are doing, how there is no point in even drawing breathe anymore....

Jeez, you guys should come down to my workplace, you would have a field day. It is called the Real World and that is where the real dramas are played out.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have every right to feel the way they do, but why do they feel the need to drag every last soul down to their own dark depths?

Even my partner's 16 year old son's Goth and Emo mates seem better company than some of the wrist slitters here!!!

Lighten up. It is only a game and as such meant to provide a sourse of enjoyment. If you can only find enjoyment through wallowing in despair then perhaps your Saturday afternoon's would be better spent with the Goths and Emos down at the local graveyard?