What would you do if Mike Ashley bought Saints next?

The Fat Controller

Sounds good to me, maybe minus Wise. Although having heard some Spanish commentators the signings Newcastle made are thought very highly of. Newcastle fans are responsible for 90% of the problems there, unrealistic expectations and an insular outlook on the world.

I'd welcome a man with money to clear our debts and significant amounts left to spend on playing staff in the next window.

Can't see it happening though.

Keegan didnt know the structure. That is a common mis-interpretation of what happened. He knew Wise was coming in but was told by Ashley in no uncertain terms that he would have final say on transfers incoming and outgoing, and all Wise was there for was to pursue the players that Keegan identified and to head up the scouting of young "future" players such as Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer and Fabio Zamblera. With regards to the first-team transfer dealings, Keegan was under the impression he was in charge of that and with the signings of Gutierrez, Guthrie and Coloccini made some decent signings. Ashley then tried covering himself by saying the list of players Keegan gave to Wise included Lampard, Henry, Ronaldinho etc... which is not the case at all. Keegan wanted to sign Stephen Warnock... Hardly a Galactico. Instead he gets a lightweight forward from Deportivo and some Uruguayan on loan who's never played in La Liga, let alone the Prem.

I would say the Newcastle fans had every right to be "over-emotional" about this. Keegan was honest with the fans, dispelling their delusions on grandeur by making it clear he wasnt able to break in to the top 4 any time soon. He did however get them playing positive attacking football and seemed to have the players enjoying playing their football again. The Newcastle fans dont ask for anything else but that. Attacking football, the feeling as if the players are at least trying to entertain and their players to look as if they are enjoying earning the vast amounts Newcastle United are prepared to lavish upon them. I dont think thats too much to ask at all.

Sambosa you seem to know more about this than most.From the little I see of KK over the years is that he is prone to these storming out episodes and it is part of his personality.The time he should have made his stand was when Wise was first installed. The alarm bells should have started ringing then, how could he be seen as a better judge of footballer that KK, a director of football is not a scout and it would be folish to think he is.

As for Newcastle fans wishing only for attacking football is a litttle too romantic in my opinion

Keegan didnt know the structure. That is a common mis-interpretation of what happened. He knew Wise was coming in but was told by Ashley in no uncertain terms that he would have final say on transfers incoming and outgoing, and all Wise was there for was to pursue the players that Keegan identified and to head up the scouting of young "future" players such as Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer and Fabio Zamblera. With regards to the first-team transfer dealings, Keegan was under the impression he was in charge of that and with the signings of Gutierrez, Guthrie and Coloccini made some decent signings.

Keegan didn't make those signings either, though. It's all well and good him whinging at the players who have looked crap who were forced upon him, but strangely he's not complained about the likes of Coloccini coming in...

Redknapp fairly publicly turned the Newcastle job down because Ashley told him transfer dealings would be left to the as-yet-unappointed director of football (or "Executive Director (Football)" as Wise is bizarrely titled). I'm pretty sure he would have told Keegan exactly the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if KK just said "yeah yeah, that's fine, just give me the job" without actually thinking what it meant to his role.

Keegan didnt know the structure. That is a common mis-interpretation of what happened. He knew Wise was coming in but was told by Ashley in no uncertain terms that he would have final say on transfers incoming and outgoing, and all Wise was there for was to pursue the players that Keegan identified and to head up the scouting of young "future" players such as Tamas Kadar, Ben Tozer and Fabio Zamblera. With regards to the first-team transfer dealings, Keegan was under the impression he was in charge of that and with the signings of Gutierrez, Guthrie and Coloccini made some decent signings. Ashley then tried covering himself by saying the list of players Keegan gave to Wise included Lampard, Henry, Ronaldinho etc... which is not the case at all. Keegan wanted to sign Stephen Warnock... Hardly a Galactico. Instead he gets a lightweight forward from Deportivo and some Uruguayan on loan who's never played in La Liga, let alone the Prem.

I would say the Newcastle fans had every right to be "over-emotional" about this. Keegan was honest with the fans, dispelling their delusions on grandeur by making it clear he wasnt able to break in to the top 4 any time soon. He did however get them playing positive attacking football and seemed to have the players enjoying playing their football again. The Newcastle fans dont ask for anything else but that. Attacking football, the feeling as if the players are at least trying to entertain and their players to look as if they are enjoying earning the vast amounts Newcastle United are prepared to lavish upon them. I dont think thats too much to ask at all.

Sorry, but that doesn't tie in with Keegan being in breach of contract. He signed up believing he could get whatever he wanted and felt that because he had the fans on his side he could push Newcastle's board around, he did the same in the early ninties and won. He believed he could do it again. He ****ed up big time. He let Ashley reappoint him, and yes, was probably FULLY aware of what his plans where, but then acted like a big baby when he couldn't change things to get his own way. I doubt he ever read his terms and conditions of employment through properly when he re-took the job, I would suspect he saw the chance for 'love' again and signed up without consideration.

Keegan's 'honesty' was the ramblings of an overgrown infant who couldn't understand that the board wouldn't pander to the fan's messiahs wishes. Newcastle's fans feel betrayed by Ashley because they cannot see past their love of 'King Kev,' Ashley and the Club's board held firm, knowing they hadn't done anything wrong, Keegan's manipulation of the media far from being for the best interest of Newcastle has been entirely self serving, he only went back because he wanted be be loved and adored again by his 'public,' that someone else could be taking his thunder for anything achieved was something he couldn't cope with, his ego wouldn't let him. His own vanity has, essentially cost Newcastle a chairman who may not have been perfect, but had a plan of action to keep Newcastle stable and give them a chance to push on to a brighter future. Keegan has brought this board down and could well have destroyed Newcastle football club.

Regarding asking for attacking football and some endeavour, isn't that what we all want as football fans?

Edited by Colinjb

Keegan didn't make those signings either, though. It's all well and good him whinging at the players who have looked crap who were forced upon him, but strangely he's not complained about the likes of Coloccini coming in...

Redknapp fairly publicly turned the Newcastle job down because Ashley told him transfer dealings would be left to the as-yet-unappointed director of football (or "Executive Director (Football)" as Wise is bizarrely titled). I'm pretty sure he would have told Keegan exactly the same thing. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if KK just said "yeah yeah, that's fine, just give me the job" without actually thinking what it meant to his role.

Redknapp wasnt actually offered a position by Newcastle, so how he could turn it down? He was invited up for talks and used that purely as a way of engineering a pay-rise at Pompey.

Keegan DID make those signings, in so much as Wise did his job by recommending them to KK and he also voted in favour of bringing them in. That was what Wise was supposed to do; head up the scouting network to find players to recommend to the manager. That was the protocol set out by Newcastle to follow that of Arsenal, which Keegan was massively in favour of. What he wasnt told though was if he happened to disagree with Dennis Wise, the club would still carry on with signing the player. Do you reckon that sort of thing happens at Arsenal? Do you reckon Arsene Wenger would stand for that kind of thing? I certainly dont, and that is why I dont blame KK for walking.

As for saying he's got a name for doing this, he did it with Newcastle in 1997, purely because there was a lot of outside interference with the Halls which he didnt agree with. He stood down from the England job because he admitted his managerial talents were not up to scratch tactically and he left Man City as a mutual agreement because he didnt want to sign a new contract.

As for me seeming to know a lot about this, the baulk of my family are Geordies and NUFC season ticket holders so I speak to them a lot and keep up to speed with the goings on at Newcastle also.

Also, whoever said it was a bit romantic to say all Newcastle fans want is a bit of attacking football, maybe it sounds strange but it really is true. If they were really that hung up about winning a trophy after so long without one, do you really think they'd pack 50,000 into St James Park almost every week (last few matches being the exception). They just want to be entertained and watch their players put a bit of effort in. That really is all they ask for.

im afraid the newcastle fans will never be happy as they think they are bigger and better than they are (where have i heard that before).

if reports are to be believed that he is looking to make a £50 mil profit from the sale,this would be enough to secure our future (financially) for a few years, it wouldnt be enough to push us onto bigger better things.i would like the money but perhaps not the man,but saying that he might do a good job here as our expectations are not as high as the geordies.................or are they?

Redknapp wasnt actually offered a position by Newcastle, so how he could turn it down? He was invited up for talks and used that purely as a way of engineering a pay-rise at Pompey.

Keegan DID make those signings, in so much as Wise did his job by recommending them to KK and he also voted in favour of bringing them in. That was what Wise was supposed to do; head up the scouting network to find players to recommend to the manager. That was the protocol set out by Newcastle to follow that of Arsenal, which Keegan was massively in favour of. What he wasnt told though was if he happened to disagree with Dennis Wise, the club would still carry on with signing the player. Do you reckon that sort of thing happens at Arsenal? Do you reckon Arsene Wenger would stand for that kind of thing? I certainly dont, and that is why I dont blame KK for walking.

As for saying he's got a name for doing this, he did it with Newcastle in 1997, purely because there was a lot of outside interference with the Halls which he didnt agree with. He stood down from the England job because he admitted his managerial talents were not up to scratch tactically and he left Man City as a mutual agreement because he didnt want to sign a new contract.

As for me seeming to know a lot about this, the baulk of my family are Geordies and NUFC season ticket holders so I speak to them a lot and keep up to speed with the goings on at Newcastle also.

Also, whoever said it was a bit romantic to say all Newcastle fans want is a bit of attacking football, maybe it sounds strange but it really is true. If they were really that hung up about winning a trophy after so long without one, do you really think they'd pack 50,000 into St James Park almost every week (last few matches being the exception). They just want to be entertained and watch their players put a bit of effort in. That really is all they ask for.

He also threw his toys out the pram and nearly walked a couple of days or weeks into his first time there. He is a loose canon.

You are certainly well jenned up on NUFC.

KK has a history as far as Im concerned of walking out in a huff.OK it may be only a few times but he has been in and out of football for years at a time. Dont forget he threw his dolls out of the pram under LM and that was because LM dared to question the players desire in a half time team talk. His outburst about Fergie showed him as passionate but also of bad judgement when riled.

They wouldnt pack inot SJP if they were where we are or knockig around the bottom of the league, yes they are well supported but thye are no different to other fans they dont like it when things are not going well and as others have pointed out they hold on to peole like KK and Shearer too much and have not given managers a chance.Allardyce being a prime example.

Just when you thought things could not become more farcical at Newcastle,look whose name has cropped up in an article today about the potential South African consortium :

Each member of the consortium has a history of reviving troubled businesses. Rupert[ not our Rupert] is the man behind Swiss-owned luxury goods company Richemont, and Imerman transformed Whyte and Mackay.

Any bid for control is not expected to reach its conclusion until the end of the month. Key to Cleland's vision of transforming the club will be the appointment at youth level of Simon Clifford, whose Brazilian Soccer Schools have more than two million members.

'We will invest in youth to build a club,' said Cleland 'Simon Clifford is an integral part of our consortium. Players like Micah Richards have come through his system.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1066313/South-Africans-calling-Toon-Ashley-moves-step-closer-selling-up.html

Just when you thought things could not become more farcical at Newcastle,look whose name has cropped up in an article today about the potential South African consortium :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1066313/South-Africans-calling-Toon-Ashley-moves-step-closer-selling-up.html

I thought for one hilarious moment you were going to say 'Lifelong Geordie' :D

I really don't get this thread. Rich bloke who's plan at newcastle involved investing in youth and having a structure very similar to the one we've currently got with a coach responsible for coaching. Where he fell foul was in thinking he could mould keegan into such a coach and not understanding the reality of his tempoary popularity versus keegan everlasting divinity with the toon faithful. in my opinion saints fans should be writing to ashley telling him what a great opportunity saints would be to reinvest his money and what a great welcoming family club it would be to bring his kids to watch games.

Ashley made it quite clear in a number of interviews to the media that Keegan would have the final say on any players going in or out of the club. Ashley then signed a few players without Keegans approval and put the first team squad on the transfer list during the transfer window.

So your theory about their situation is wrong. You should give Kev a bit more credit.

That said, I would welcome Ashley and his strategy to our club. Unfortunately, there is more chance of me playing for England.