saints sign smith

JustMike

Yes - I'm always intrigued when a club in a higher division loans someone from a lower division.

I can only imagine he'll play a few games for us, or why bother loaning him? He's a winger, so clearly Jan rates him more highly than the likes of Gobern and White.

He played for Millwall's reserves against our second string on Wednesday night, so someone obviously liked what they saw in that game.

I'm also intrigued by the need for more midfielders when our need is certainly defensively.

Very true we do need defenders not more in midfield, is this a vote of no confidence in some of our younger players?

Someone to play left wing in place of Lee Holmes sounds ideal -I've given up on Skacel ever being picked and think Surman is stronger in the centre.

I agree about cover at full back to a certain extent - but we have Cork to cover Lloyd James at right back and Surman to cover Jospeh Mills at left back so we're not completely out of options there.

Of course if he turns out to be right winger then why!?!?!?!?

Not knocking the kid, but described as a winger that can play upfront isn't exactly prolific:

picture1nj4.png

Prove me wrong nipper

Looks like Jade from Damage.

I'd be more interested in his assist rate than scoring to be fair.

If he can cross a ball then he's alright by me...

I've just asked an avid Millwall fan (yes, he goes to every home game...) what he thought of Ryan Smith and here's his reply:

"Very skilful player but lightweight with a questionable attitude. He is also injury prone.

Cannot get into our side. "

Make of that what you will.....

Is he a left or a right winger? I can actually see the need for both sides. DMG is creating stuuf down the right occasionally but doesn't offer any protection to James (maybe that's why James looks average?) and on the left we have a gaping hole since Holmes got injured (although I hope Skacel will get a chance there).

Looks a sensible signing.

With the 1-2-1 up front, not having natural wide players causes problems the shape goes wrong as well as problems in getting the ball in the box as well as the whole covering back thing. DMG & BWP really aren't wingers so this seems cover while Holmes recovers.

For a club who's finances are melting down we keep bringing more youngsters into the squad.....

Why not give him a chance? I'd imagine that coming from Millwall in league 1, his wages will be tiny. I agree that Wotte must have liked the look of him during the reserve game. Get him here, have a look at him during training, see if Jan can get the best out of him, how he adapts to the system etc.

He came through Arsenal's academy, so he must have shown some promise as a youngster. I'd much rather have a genuine winger on the pitch, then BWP or another striker playing wide.

Seems to me Holmes is out until January so we got an extra winger, especially getting rid of Dyer. Makes perfect sense and hope he comes on and proves himself.

I really like the idea that we will become a team known for giving good young players a chance to play good passing football experience.

He probably isn't palying in the Milwall team as they want to play with older sloggers rather than with young fast players.

from Millwall fan-

'Has gone to Southampton on loan for 3 months and I dare say that he'll play very well and impress everyone at St Mary's and then hopefully they'll sign him permanently and then he'll be a wasted talent again. Maybe we can money out of the deal'

Sounds like he's a bit of a 'Saga', plays well when he first goes somewhere and then drops off.

I remember a few stories about him when he was at Arsenal.

A fantastic talent, but Wenger thought he had a bad attitude and lacked the professionalism to succeed at Arsenal

I've just asked an avid Millwall fan (yes, he goes to every home game...) what he thought of Ryan Smith and here's his reply:

"Very skilful player but lightweight with a questionable attitude. He is also injury prone.

Cannot get into our side. "

Make of that what you will.....

Would seem to be consistent with what said Millwall fan thought....still, as people say, no point judging until we've seen him (on the TV highlights, obviously, given I "never go to a game")

Makes sense with Holmes out. Just means even less chance of seeing Skacel, which is disappointing. But on the bright side, less chance of BWP too.

Don't agree about defence, I think they just need time and more protection.

Cork is excellent and can play anyway, James isn't as bad as people make out, Hatch is still waiting for his chance, Mills looks decent, Surman can play there, Rudi could play there in emergency, and centrally Lancashire will be an excellent player, Thomas will be back by christmas, perry, svensson and wotton can all do a decent job too.

Have been told by someone in a position to know, that despite the denials from the club, Skacel is on big appearance money, hence his non appearance thus far and the loan of this kid.

from Millwall fan-

'Has gone to Southampton on loan for 3 months and I dare say that he'll play very well and impress everyone at St Mary's and then hopefully they'll sign him permanently and then he'll be a wasted talent again. Maybe we can money out of the deal'

A bit like what we said when Dyer went to Sheffield United.

It is going to be strange come January when all our loanees return to their clubs.

A bit like what we said when Dyer went to Sheffield United.

It is going to be strange come January when all our loanees return to their clubs.

Although the initial loans are for 6 months it remains to be seen if they will actually return to their clubs. If Cork stays in the team I'd imagine Chelsea will be more then happy to let him stay here (unless a PL club would want to loan him). The same would go for most of the loans.

I guess I gave up on the googling too soon. Thanks.

Just found this as well (never quite trust fan sites ;))

http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/01/FAYC_4P_Arsenal2Barnet1.htm

Smith, a left-winger with frightening skill, had clearly been identified by Preston as Arsenal’s most influential player and he seemed to be encircled by defenders whenever he had the ball. He was subjected to some rough treatment and he didn’t like that at all.

After being bowled over about 30 yards out during a typical high-speed run towards Preston’s goal, he complained bitterly to the referee before curling over a free-kick that was nudged on into the net for the equaliser by the head of central defender Matthew Connolly.