Acceptable multi-tasking whilst driving?

Arizona

Was bored at work earlier and ended up reading a copy of the Dailly Mail which was lying around. There was an article showing motorists who had been caught out on camera commiting various 'misdemeanors'. Some of them I agree with. Stuff like a guy on his mobile, a guy steering with his elbows and a guy eating a bowl of cornflakes. There was some stuff I just plain didn't guess what all the fuss was about. Stuff like a guy drinking from a bottle of water, a guy eating a sandwhich and another changing the CD player. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Is it just typical Mail sensationalism or is it really that bad?

Just wondered where everyone else draws the line with this sort of thing.

i eat while driving a lot, and drink. I also text, which got a bit harder when i got an iPhone but is still do-able.

I often change the CD, although having the multi-changer in the boot, it can get a bit hairy

Any chance of giving me your make, model and registration number, so that I can keep Me and my motorcycle away from You and your travelling manslaughter weapon..?

I hate motorcyclists, the way you lot drive at times makes me think i don't need to be texting etc to kill one of you.

No offence to you personally St Landrew, i used to move aside for you lot all the time. All i get these days is the arrogance, not thanking and blatently getting infront of me at the lights, even when it was almost impossible to do so. Now if i see one behind me on the motorway in a Q of traffic i don't bother.

I hate motorcyclists, the way you lot drive at times makes me think i don't need to be texting etc to kill one of you.

No offence to you personally St Landrew, i used to move aside for you lot all the time. All i get these days is the arrogance, not thanking and blatently getting infront of me at the lights, even when it was almost impossible to do so. Now if i see one behind me on the motorway in a Q of traffic i don't bother.

I can understand that. We don't do ourselves any favours, as far as cars are concerned. But we are relatively small, relatively fast, and have relatively more vision, because we're not inside a cage. We may seem to do dangerous things occasionally, from your perspective, but more often than not, they aren't dangerous from ours. We get tea and coffee, apple cores, lit cigarette ends, etc... thrown at us, from drivers and passengers who wind down the window and don't look first [well, maybe they do..?], but on the other hand, I often find that car drivers move over, and I always give them a thumbs up or wave as I go past. Fact is, if you're on a motorcycle, and waiting at the back of a traffic queue, or not overtaking when there's plenty of time and space, you're hardly using your motorcycle to its advantage, that is getting to the destination way before the car.

To be honest, Smirking, I don't expect any favours from car drivers. A minority of motorcyclists seem intent to spoil any good relations we have with car drivers. All I want drivers to do is not to injure or kill me through a lack of due care. All the bravado mobile texting and phoning counts for nought when you see a motorcyclist, cyclist or pedestrian lying badly injured or dead in the road, and you've helped to cause it. I know the feeling because I'm also an everyday car driver and back in the 1980's an old guy on a moped ran into me, flipped over the top of his handlebars and died when he hit the ground. I tell you, it's sh!t from every angle you look at it. That caused me incredible grief, even though it wasn't my fault, but because I was there. Maybe I could have done something if I'd have taken more care. I'll never know.

Of course, using the mobilephone, hands-on, when driving is illegal. But so many people blatantly do it, you'd think it wasn't. I keep saying one of these days, I'm going to take the number of the car and go to the nearest police station and report them, but I never do. But if there is a plain disregard and almost boastful idea about it, I probably will start reporting these people. So, Saint Stevo. Don't let me find out your reg no. eh..? ;)

i wasn't boasting, i was just replying to the thread. I do text while i drive, usually on Motorway though when its a bit easier. The iPhone stopped me for a while while i got used to the keypad but it's ok now. I don't do it ALL the time, just sometimes really.

Other times i might check the football scores etc on the move, but that's only a couple of clicks

i wasn't boasting, i was just replying to the thread. I do text while i drive, usually on Motorway though when its a bit easier. The iPhone stopped me for a while while i got used to the keypad but it's ok now. I don't do it ALL the time, just sometimes really.

Other times i might check the football scores etc on the move, but that's only a couple of clicks

So basically, you'll just carry on illegally using your mobilephone whilst driving.

So basically, you'll just carry on illegally using your mobilephone whilst driving.

Interesting. I do wonder where SS said he was using it HAND HELD. I assume he had it in a cradle and tapped the screen much like you do a SatNav. Nout wrong (in theory) with that.

Interesting. I do wonder where SS said he was using it HAND HELD. I assume he had it in a cradle and tapped the screen much like you do a SatNav. Nout wrong (in theory) with that.

That's how i do it now with the iphone, previously used to be able to feel the buttons out or hold it on the steering wheel

I am sure we all do illegal things.

Tests have shown that hands free phones are just as dangerous as hands-on. People using them while driving show the same or worse characteristics as someone seriously over the alcohol limit. It may not be illegal, but using a hands-free phone is not safer. This has been known for years.

I don't get as annoyed by the people who use hands free (like I said, it's legal) as I do by the people who act as if they're being good by doing it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/handsfree-mobile-kits-just-as-dangerous-for-driving-483090.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7152551.stm

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=060815161706.0xbugxlr&show_article=1

The most frightening thing that ever happened to me in the van was on the M40, londonbound near warwick services. Heavy load in the back, tootling along at a steady 70 in the middle lane going past slowish traffic on a sunday morning. Car in front pulls out from the left lane to go past a trailer, I check the mirror and pull into the fast lane to go past him. No drama, no problem, but while I was pulling out I saw a tiny speck of light in the far distance, at least half a mile back. Car goes past his trailer and pulls back into the left lane so I start indicating and gradually start moving back to the middle lane. This is a sprinter van, so no rear window. Halfway into the centre lane I suddenly caught sight of something going very fast on the inside blind spot, and swerved to avoid hitting it. It was a bike, and clipped my offside door mirror. He had come up behind me at an absolute minimum of 140, and decided to undertake while I was changing lanes. I nearly lost control of the van. It was suicidal. I managed to get the van back away from the central crash barrier, pulled into warwick services and phoned the police. Dont know if they ever got him.

Going back to mobile phones.

There's an access roundabout to the M40 near me - at Cherwell Services. The roundabout is notorious for the number of lorries that take it too fast and overturn.

Many times I've seen an artic driver negotiating that roundabout one handed whilst on the phone.

Frightens the bejeezus out of me :(

That's how i do it now with the iphone, previously used to be able to feel the buttons out or hold it on the steering wheel

I am sure we all do illegal things.

Not really a very good argument, is it..? The consequences of your actions could kill. I know we all change the CD, tape or radio station. But nobody said it was against the law. There have possibly been accidents caused by operating these things, but it isn't illegal to do so. It is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving - unless hands off, of course, and we know there have been accidents. Is it really worth it that you can't pull over to the kerbside and find out what you need to know..?

Edited by St Landrew

The most frightening thing that ever happened to me in the van was on the M40, londonbound near warwick services. Heavy load in the back, tootling along at a steady 70 in the middle lane going past slowish traffic on a sunday morning. Car in front pulls out from the left lane to go past a trailer, I check the mirror and pull into the fast lane to go past him. No drama, no problem, but while I was pulling out I saw a tiny speck of light in the far distance, at least half a mile back. Car goes past his trailer and pulls back into the left lane so I start indicating and gradually start moving back to the middle lane. This is a sprinter van, so no rear window. Halfway into the centre lane I suddenly caught sight of something going very fast on the inside blind spot, and swerved to avoid hitting it. It was a bike, and clipped my offside door mirror. He had come up behind me at an absolute minimum of 140, and decided to undertake while I was changing lanes. I nearly lost control of the van. It was suicidal. I managed to get the van back away from the central crash barrier, pulled into warwick services and phoned the police. Dont know if they ever got him.

Riding it like he'd stolen it, perhaps..?

Riding it like he'd stolen it, perhaps..?

from the brief glimpse I got of the prat I dont think so. Looked like he was wearing full matching leathers, and possibly a pannier and rucksack set, my guess at the time was that he may have been a courier, especially given that he was heading for london at full tilt. I was trying to stop the van turning over so might be wrong, but that was my impression. He certainly used up one of his nine lives tho

Not really a very good argument, is it..? The consequences of your actions could kill. I know we all change the CD, tape or radio station. But nobody said it was against the law. There have possibly been accidents caused by operating these things, but it isn't illegal to do so. It is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving - unless hands off, of course, and we know there have been accidents. Is it really worth it that you can't pull over to the kerbside and find out what you need to know..?

Im sorry Landy, but that makes no sense at all. If he isnt using it illegally, then how is it worse that changing tracks on the CD player, turning the volume up, yawning, talking to the kids in the back, sneezing, picking up that £1.50 from the console for the toll, grabbing your sunglasses from the side pocket....

Im sorry Landy, but that makes no sense at all. If he isnt using it illegally, then how is it worse that changing tracks on the CD player, turning the volume up, yawning, talking to the kids in the back, sneezing, picking up that £1.50 from the console for the toll, grabbing your sunglasses from the side pocket....

But didn't he admit that he was..?

EDIT: P.S. Morning, Pancake.

But didn't he admit that he was..?

EDIT: P.S. Morning, Pancake.

he said it was in a cradle now, but used to hand held. Technically legal (and yes, I checked this last night with my b-i-l who is a traffic cop in Kent) if not a bit dodgy.

PS. Morning, can you believe it autumn already!

he said it was in a cradle now, but used to hand held. Technically legal (and yes, I checked this last night with my b-i-l who is a traffic cop in Kent) if not a bit dodgy.

PS. Morning, can you believe it autumn already!

NO, I f*****g well can't. Pathetic bloody summer, in truth. Reminded me of summers when I was growing up. All crap temperatures and then thunder and rain just as it was getting hot and so obviously muggy. Think I went sailing 3 times in all. Cue even worse general mood as the clocks go uselessly back one hour, in 6 weeks time. I've had it. Seriously thinking about moving to the South of France, in about 5 years time, when the house is paid up. Doesn't help that Saints aren't doing well/top of the league, either.

Cue bad mood for the rest of Autumn..!

NO, I f*****g well can't. Pathetic bloody summer, in truth. Reminded me of summers when I was growing up. All crap temperatures and then thunder and rain just as it was getting hot and so obviously muggy. Think I went sailing 3 times in all. Cue even worse general mood as the clocks go uselessly back one hour, in 6 weeks time. I've had it. Seriously thinking about moving to the South of France, in about 5 years time, when the house is paid up. Doesn't help that Saints aren't doing well/top of the league, either.

Cue bad mood for the rest of Autumn..!

Oh dear :( I woke up happy this morning and, now I've read your post, I'm bloody miserable.

Cheer up love - it ain't all bad in the world you know :)

Oh dear :( I woke up happy this morning and, now I've read your post, I'm bloody miserable.

Cheer up love - it ain't all bad in the world you know :)

Well I'm sure you know I wouldn't have posted it knowingly, making you miserable, BTF. But cheer..! How about this around the corner..?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8581426.stm

Double Summertime and putting the clocks back to BST in the winter. My goodness, it looks as thought someone in power might at last be seeing the benefit of it.

In my old car, I used to smoke. Not too bad in itself, but one time whilst driving on the M4 I had the lighter in my back pocket; trying to get it out, I put both legs on one side of the steering wheel, then suddenly hit gridlock. Unable to reach the brakes, I fortunately had the hindsight to drive onto the hard shoulder, twas about half a mile before I stopped the car.

I haven't smoked in a car since. I was constantly dropping my fag in my lap too, ruined a couple of pairs of trousers that way.

People should be concentrating on the road in my opinion. Some things are acceptable, like drinking water or similar, but I agree with the Police on the use of mobile phones. Still, nearly everyday, I see people using their mobiles, and a lot of the time they're driving erratically. It doesn't cost much to buy a hands free kit - cheap bastards.

My mum is a massive distraction when driving too - so I don't drive her anywhere anymore. One time she cried "look out" on a roundabout, despite the fact I was stationary and waiting for a gap in the traffic. She clings on to anything she can hold on to as well, dash board, grab handle, the back of the seat, it's most disturbing and it makes me nervous. I have been told on many occasions by my father, a retired traffic policeman, that I am a very safe driver, so God knows what my mum's problem is. Dappy old cow.

I once saw a driver with a dog sitting on their lap. Ok, not multi-tasking per se, but it was a ****ing great big Dalmatian, so it must've been obstructing her view. It's not my air-bag of choice...

i eat while driving a lot, and drink. I also text, which got a bit harder when i got an iPhone but is still do-able.

I often change the CD, although having the multi-changer in the boot, it can get a bit hairy

These things may seem a bit petty, but I see lots of police reports at work of accidents were people have been killed or maimed because a driver was texting and you can imagine how a bereaved family feel about it. It reminds me of the arguement about speeding too, better to be late here than early in the hereafter.

If there any text worth sending that is worth more than someone's life?

...My mum is a massive distraction when driving too - so I don't drive her anywhere anymore. One time she cried "look out" on a roundabout, despite the fact I was stationary and waiting for a gap in the traffic. She clings on to anything she can hold on to as well, dash board, grab handle, the back of the seat, it's most disturbing and it makes me nervous. I have been told on many occasions by my father, a retired traffic policeman, that I am a very safe driver, so God knows what my mum's problem is. Dappy old cow...

I have the same problem with an older brother. He has become a terrible back-seat driver. So much so that his wife will not drive while he is a passenger because he has shot her confidence. I consider myself a reasonable driver as, being a motorcyclist, I see danger on the roads way before it develops into something a bit naughty. Yet I am constantly barraged by his... watch out... look there, etc.., when I have taken in the information, yards before. When I finally lose it, and politely ask him to shut the f..k up he says he does it because I'm driving his vehicle. Yet he does it in any vehicle, whether he owns it or not, so that's complete bull.

Back seat drivers. The biggest danger on the road..! They should be illiegal. :)