Lessons Learnt ???

alpine_saint

There are lessons to be learnt from last night, for management and fans alike.

My lesson learnt : I reckon we can put out a decent side once Thomas, Schneiderlin, Euell, Holmes and maybe Killer are fit. Well, at least one that will compete and avoid relegation.

But JP needs to man-manage, motivate and play his best 11 players, set a tactical plan which they can play to and is effective, and have a Plan B up his sleeve.

So the questions are :

Will Lowe allow him to field his best team ?

Can JP man-manage, and set and direct the tactical requirements for success at this level ?

I really hope that these two have learnt something from last night, just as I have.

My lesson learnt : I reckon we can put out a decent side once Thomas, Schneiderlin, Euell, Holmes and maybe Killer are fit. Well, at least one that will compete and avoid relegation.

But JP needs to man-manage, motivate and play his best 11 players, set a tactical plan which they can play to and is effective, and have a Plan B up his sleeve.

So the questions are :

Can JP man-manage, and set and direct the tactical requirements for success at this level ?

I really hope that these two have learnt something from last night, just as I have.

Does it matter? you will only find something else to moan about.

So the questions are :

Absolutly agree.

What arrogant nonsense.

Amazing that when Alpine shows a bit of diffidence, you accuse him of arrogance.

I hope that a lesson learned after last night is that a blend of older, experienced players with the youngsters is beneficial. And the lesson from the Watford game is that we ought to play 4-4-2 at home.

I completely agree with Alpine on this. Can't understand why he's being called "arrogant" for actually saying we have some decent players when they're allowed to be picked.

Thomas - injured.

Euell - injured.

Schneiderlin - injured.

Holmes - injured.

Killer - injured.

They are not being picked because they are injured.

Also, alps hasn't seem any of them play this season. What makes him think Wayne Thomas would be a great addition to the starting XI? I have no idea. He's talking his usual codswallop and trying to dress it up as being gracious.

So the questions are :

Spot on Alpine!

Why? If Lowe had picked the team then he would deserve credit for swallowinig his pride and realising that his mad experiment of trying to play all youngsters outfield had failed.

But what if he hadn't picked the team up until last night?

Thomas - injured.

Euell - injured.

Schneiderlin - injured.

Holmes - injured.

Killer - injured.

They are not being picked because they are injured.

Also, alps hasn't seem any of them play this season. What makes him think Wayne Thomas would be a great addition to the starting XI? I have no idea. He's talking his usual codswallop and trying to dress it up as being gracious.

If you took the care to read what Alpine had actually said, instead of trying to pick holes in what you thought he had said, then you would see that he had stated that we might have a decent team when those players were fit to play.

I find it quite profound that the only people bleating on about lowe are the anti lowe brigade.

Theres rarely a comment in the press comming from him and I cannot recall when he was last on TV/radio giving an interview.

Its seems it is only the anti lowe brigade who are keeping his name in the headlines not the man him self

Oh and another lesson I have learnt is that Alpine has confirmed he is a serial whinger.

If you took the care to read what Alpine had actually said, instead of trying to pick holes in what you thought he had said, then you would see that he had stated that we might have a decent team when those players were fit to play.

No he didn't. Had that been the case one of his "questions" would be: Can we get our squad back to full fitness? Rather than the insulting "Despite the fact I have no evidence and sit thousands of miles from the game, will the chairman stop picking our team?" question he did include.

Also, Wayne Thomas would not be an improvement on the starting XI, and where you'd actually play Euell I'm not sure. He'd be best suited to Lallana's position, so is alpine suggesting we drop Lallana now?

Amazing that when Alpine shows a bit of diffidence, you accuse him of arrogance.

I hope that a lesson learned after last night is that a blend of older, experienced players with the youngsters is beneficial. And the lesson from the Watford game is that we ought to play 4-4-2 at home.

Having Rudi playing on the left made a substantial difference. If we have to pay him then let us damn well play him.

No he didn't. Had that been the case one of his "questions" would be: Can we get our squad back to full fitness? Rather than the insulting "Despite the fact I have no evidence and sit thousands of miles from the game, will the chairman stop picking our team?" question he did include.

Also, Wayne Thomas would not be an improvement on the starting XI, and where you'd actually play Euell I'm not sure. He'd be best suited to Lallana's position, so is alpine suggesting we drop Lallana now?

The Wayne Thomas i've seen play would be better than Lancashire. I'm not knocking having the young lad come in when we've injuries, but we shouldn't be picking him everyweek.

Euell can play centre mid, he's experienced enough. Gillette, who didn't have a bad game yesterday, could be replaced.

As I said in my comments before the season started when JP was appointed and the strategy of the Kids was announced, it is all about balance.

Now before we get carried away, the club IS bleeding to death financially and although it may SOUND petty to hear the "can't afford appearance money" views, I am convinced that is very close to the truth.

We have some older pro's, they HAVE been injured and have cost us money we did not have in our plan.

BUT now they are becoming available and two lessons are learnt.

1) Despite what we thought, Skacel DID play, so behind the scenes, IF the rumours are true then some Rabbits really ARE being pulled out of empty hats

2) Having a better MIX of youth and experience seems to have worked better

But again, it is ONE result the Championship IS all about ups and downs and a "previously woeful" Norwich side when we played them walloped a "good Wolves side" last night....

So

I think it is a sign of a step in the right direction. But BECAUSE it is football there could have been other contributory factors last night. Maybe we kept a better shape without DMG? Maybe BWP covered the full back better to reduce the space, maybe Sheff U didn't get their tactics right and were one-dimensional, or of course maybe the wiser heads helped out and Rudi is truly our saviour.

So I'll happily take a point in what will be an up and down season and I will take the two signs that people behind the scenes are actually TRYING very hard to get things sorted out and on an even keel.

(Oh & I am with Draganov in many ways, because so far this season anybody who isn't a Saints fan looking in from outside would say Who the ??? is this Rupert everyone keeps *****ing about?

He has at least STFU leaving only innuendo and speculation. It is interesting that we treat ITK takeover speculation with abusive responses but let the other stuff go by...)

Sorry, but there is more than a suggestion floating around that Skacel at least hasnt been in contention for reasons other than fitness. However, due to the utterly dire situation we were in after the Watford game, his return was an absolute necessity, and now he has his foot in the door, we know he is fit (or thereabout), it is difficult to drop him, and it will look bad if he is dropped.

As for your opinion on Wayne Thomas, that's all it is. Your opinion.

Its good to see you are prepared to admit you are wrong sometimes Alpine.

The club seem to have accepted we need to play Rudi even though he costs a lot of money each game. It has been pointed out on here the attendances will only slightly recover with better results, and also put him in the shop window at the same time.

So the questions are :

Good post.

Alps, some may find your post condescending, arrogant whatever given that you do have a history of such posts and the fact that you rely on radio/newspapers/views on here or whatever to form your judgement rather than actually being there. However, you are spot on here.

JP will have learnt a few important things about his players and tactics last night as will the fans and the mark of a good manager is what he now does with that information. I think a number of us would be very disappointed if he now reverts back to Saturday's team and tactics for Swansea. IMHO it's about the right time to drop McG and James to test their character and see how motivated they are to improve.

Time will tell as regards your rhetorical questions but I beleive the match-going fans will play their part in JP answering them.

I have to say that I agree that the four injured players you site (less Killer) are absolutely key to our season and perhaps more importantly I feel Schneiderlin and Holmes are key to a top 6 push next year.

Play Lallana a little off of Stern John, in the same position that Rooney plays for ManU. It can be difficult to pick up the player in the hole if he's coming from deep.

Play Euell at CM with Schneiderlin or Gillett, Surman LM, and whoever at RM (BWP maybe). Leave the defence as it is, apart from Thomas or Svensson in when fit to play alongside Perry.

I expect Rupert has worked it all out for Saturday anyway.

Its good to see you are prepared to admit you are wrong sometimes Alpine.

The club seem to have accepted we need to play Rudi even though he costs a lot of money each game. It has been pointed out on here the attendances will only slightly recover with better results, and also put him in the shop window at the same time.

What a bizarre twist...

How about making him feel he has a role to play, could be integral to the team, and actually managing/encouraging him to play for the shirt and get the maximum performance out of him ? There is no way he will give his all if he thinks he is in the shop window.

Alpine:I reckon we can put out a decent side once Thomas, Schneiderlin, Euell, Holmes and maybe Killer are fit.

Just what is it that you cannot grasp about this? It seems to be perfectly comprehensible to anybody with even a basic grasp of the English language.

Just what is it that you cannot grasp about this? It seems to be perfectly comprehensible to anybody with even a basic grasp of the English language.

I think he has a problem with complex scenarios.

For example, yes Euell was injured, but no, he may still not get a look-in because Lowe deems appearance pay to be too high.

The question about Lowe's control of selection stands on its own right, irrespective of who is lying on the treatment table.

Alpine, excellent post. You are right in what you say. Last night might be teh turning point. It will be interesting to see the starting line on Saturday.

As for Bungle, well what planet is he from? All hypothetical crap. Lowe picking the team is simply here say, rumours spread by those who do not want someone with a name like Rupert to succeed.

A blend of youth and experience is needed right now, Rudi is key as he is one of the few who has talent.

Now we got the playground temper-tantrums out of the way, I'd like to know if any adults also feel that last night could represent some sort of cross-roads in how the season will unfold.

no! but i now think they will get 40+ points rather than the 30 odd i predicted at the start of the season.

As for Bungle, well what planet is he from? All hypothetical crap. Lowe picking the team is simply here say, rumours spread by those who do not want someone with a name like Rupert to succeed.

Totally and utterly agreed. The rumours spread about Lowe picking the team are muck, which was what I was trying to point out. Alps believes it, as you can tell by his "questions" section. He also spreads most of these unfounded rumours from his Austrian hidey-hole.

What a bizarre twist...

How about making him feel he has a role to play, could be integral to the team, and actually managing/encouraging him to play for the shirt and get the maximum performance out of him ? There is no way he will give his all if he thinks he is in the shop window.

It is a bit of both. He has been left out in the cold and now has a chance to shine.Do not confuse the fact that he played with him wanting to leave us twice only to be thwarted by monetary considerations.If it means good displays will give him the opportunity to leave he will do so. I beleive the club and he wishes for that to happen.

It is a bit of both. He has been left out in the cold and now has a chance to shine.Do not confuse the fact that he played with him wanting to leave us twice only to be thwarted by monetary considerations.If it means good displays will give him the opportunity to leave he will do so. I beleive the club and he wishes for that to happen.

How about JP deciding that he has a role to play via performances over the next month, trying to convince Lowe and man-managing him so he changes his mind ?

Now we got the playground temper-tantrums out of the way, I'd like to know if any adults also feel that last night could represent some sort of cross-roads in how the season will unfold.

no! but i now think they will get 40+ points rather than the 30 odd i predicted at the start of the season.

Totally and utterly agreed. The rumours spread about Lowe picking the team are muck, which was what I was trying to point out. Alps believes it, as you can tell by his "questions" section. He also spreads most of these unfounded rumours from his Austrian hidey-hole.

Bungle, the point is that Apline's other comments are right. JP has played around with the team too much and not played enough experience. Watford was the prime example, where was th eexperience in defence? Last night he changed it: Perry, Rudi, BWP, John and even Drew, that's half the outfield players with bags of experience. Bring back Holmes, Spiderman and maybe Thomas and we will have a fantastic team. JP needs to learn and learn fast.

Lessons learnt? You must be Ffing kidding! Nothing has been learnt this season since the West Ham match revealed that we couldn't defend a fortress against a plague of orange ballooons. (There's a Dutch reference in there somewhere). This bloke Poortvleit has ONE BIG IDEA and he is going to plug away every week doing the same old thing in the same old way with the same predictable result. The whole team selection thing and approach to matches is total b*ll*cks and if ever a team was doomed to RELEGATION it is this year's Saints.

Bungle, the point is that Apline's other comments are right. JP has played around with the team too much and not played enough experience. Watford was the prime example, where was th eexperience in defence? Last night he changed it: Perry, Rudi, BWP, John and even Drew, that's half the outfield players with bags of experience. Bring back Holmes, Spiderman and maybe Thomas and we will have a fantastic team. JP needs to learn and learn fast.

But alpine's comments rely almost entirely on the basis he believes Lowe tells JP what team to pick.

I agree we need some consistency, and I was also very pleased to see Cork at RB. Sadly with Lancashire's suspension he can't continue with Perry at CB, but maybe Wotton can play for one game. I was pleased to see BWP back as well, but had I said last week I wanted him in the side I would have been slated and told he was useless and lazy. Holmes isn't coming back for a while, and Schneiderlin is only just getting fit again. I can't see the fuss about Thomas. Useful cover but Jack Cork is best RB by some distance, and Lancashire will be good enough for this league- remember it took Alan Bennett a while to settle.

God..didn't know that you were such an expert with so much internal knowledge at SMS. Wow I bet Portaloo really relies on you and your opinions

How about JP deciding that he has a role to play via performances over the next month, trying to convince Lowe and man-managing him so he changes his mind ?
Alp Rudi is a pro footballer who wants to earn as much as he can from his few years left in football. To do so he has to leave, therefore his incentive is to play well and shine so to make other clubs come in for him. That is enough, he has been given his chance and it seems he did ok but however you treat him he will want to go.

I think too much is made of the experiment -both from the club on a positive and by posters on here as a negative.

The main three things about the experiment were

1) more reliance on young homegrown players as we can afford to buy established CCC players.

2) train first team and reserves together to aid easier movement of players between the two

3) playing a midfield made up of two holding, two attacking wide and an "in the hole"

The first makes total sense and we have to accept it is financially driven.

The second is hardly earth shattering and again makes sense.

The formation in midfield looked good with Holmes and Schneiderlin, Lallana got called up to the U21 based on the "in the hole" position and was described by two other managers as the best young player in this league.

The criticism of underutilising older players?

Svennson -would be playing if fit

Thomas - got back into team before injury

Euell - was hardly a football god and has been injured recently

John -looked of the pace in pre-season and I agreed that DMG did enough to start the season, however I feel that JP did persevere too long with DMG when clearly off form. John was not available against Watford and played last night.

Skacel - at start of season made it clear he wanted to leave, and I agree with JP that he should not be picked whilst in talks elsewhere. Since it fell through, who knows. Personally I think it was JP's decision from what he saw in training, reserves and talking to him that his attitude was not ready. JP did say that Surman was only a stop gap at LB so perhaps he always hoped he would return.

I don't agree with all of JP decisions and I am sure he would see in hindsight selections/substitutions he would have done differently.

Rather than systems etc the main issue is getting good players playing well. We are not in a position to sign 11 new good players. We did awfully last year with more experienced players.

Even if JP sticks to his principals, as the younger player gain experience, players return from injury I am confident we will do ok - as long as JP

1) plays in form players

2) finds some stability in defence

the obsession with the board room is ridiculous, the amount of times Lowe is mentioned in even a post match football thread!

There is nothing at all to say that RL is involved in team selection.

There is nothing to say that JP has been prevented from playing anyone, for example KD was apparantly up for sale, one of the higher earners, we signed a new keepers -played everygame.

Lowe was slagged off for signing Schneiderlin and Holmes, either that was unfair as untrue or Lowe knows more about football than the numerous posters on here who slagged Holmes off! (and there were loads of OTT posts)

Slag him off over shutting of corners (actually that may have been a crouch one) or replacing NP, or appointing JP, his lack of charm, etc but don't get obsessed with your bizarre conspiracy theories!

Lessons learnt? You must be Ffing kidding! Nothing has been learnt this season since the West Ham match revealed that we couldn't defend a fortress against a plague of orange ballooons. (There's a Dutch reference in there somewhere). This bloke Poortvleit has ONE BIG IDEA and he is going to plug away every week doing the same old thing in the same old way with the same predictable result. The whole team selection thing and approach to matches is total b*ll*cks and if ever a team was doomed to RELEGATION it is this year's Saints.

I take it you're going to put your money where your mouth is and have a few grand on the 7/4 against relegation on offer at Blue Square

http://www.bluesq.com/bet?action=go_oc_grp&level=&type=&type_id=4381&oc_grp_id=29430

If you're so certain we'll go down this will be like printing money for you

So the questions are :

Sounds points from Alpine here.

The questions answers are likely to be:

Lowe will continue to interfer... based on a plethora of historical examples. So he will not permit him to play our (fans) best team (MEN) - perhaps JPs team will be played until it fails but then it will back to Lowe's crap again. Answer is until Lowe has nothing to do with this Club again he will always interfer.

JP - on current evidence - lacks knowledge of the CCC. He lacks knowledge of his team players. He is restricted from above. He lacks the ability to take decisions in a match - relying completely on Wotte. So, he will continue to set up for games badly due to lack of knowledge and continue to lose the confidence of fans and players alike as he is clueless once a game begins... he freezes. I have watched him fo 3 games very closely. He relies entirely on a frustrated Wotte to get him to make a decision. Answer: JP can't do it but Wotte MIGHT be able to.

All in all I think Lowe will interfer and JP ... well he's another Simon Clifford. He's a fraud who's duped SCW and Lowe.

Sounds points from Alpine here.

The questions answers are likely to be:

Lowe will continue to interfer... based on a plethora of historical examples. So he will not permit him to play our (fans) best team (MEN) - perhaps JPs team will be played until it fails but then it will back to Lowe's crap again. Answer is until Lowe has nothing to do with this Club again he will always interfer.

JP - on current evidence - lacks knowledge of the CCC. He lacks knowledge of his team players. He is restricted from above. He lacks the ability to take decisions in a match - relying completely on Wotte. So, he will continue to set up for games badly due to lack of knowledge and continue to lose the confidence of fans and players alike as he is clueless once a game begins... he freezes. I have watched him fo 3 games very closely. He relies entirely on a frustrated Wotte to get him to make a decision. Answer: JP can't do it but Wotte MIGHT be able to.

All in all I think Lowe will interfer and JP ... well he's another Simon Clifford. He's a fraud who's duped SCW and Lowe.

I think these points are made up by those who obsess about boardroom, unless you KNOW otherwise?

So the questions are :

From what I've heard and read of last night's performance, the players responded to JP following the defensive howlers against Watford, he played arguably his strongest side and the tactics contributed to a creditable away draw. All positive.

Alpine, excellent post. You are right in what you say. Last night might be teh turning point. It will be interesting to see the starting line on Saturday.

A blend of youth and experience is needed right now, Rudi is key as he is one of the few who has talent.

Nobody said Lowe picked the team. What was said was that Skacel wouldn't be picked and McGoldrick was sure of his place. I know where this information came from within the club. Also that a la SCW, double training sessions were brought in. Not by the coaches I understand.

It may be that the emerging threat of demonstrations and the information being publicised caused a rethink. We know Wilde posts on here at times.

I thought Alpine's post was spot on.