Lallana

OldNick

i think Lallana is a wonderful prospect. Last night he was not so much in the game but still showed some really great skills. My greatest concern about him in the scoring stakes is that he doesn't seem to have any power in his shooting but relies on sidefooting the ball.

i think Lallana is a wonderful prospect. Last night he was not so much in the game but still showed some really great skills. My greatest concern about him in the scoring stakes is that he doesn't seem to have any power in his shooting but relies on sidefooting the ball.

You don't say!

he is a stroker not a basher

He's better than Rudi, eh nicky ??
playing in the hole he is, at left back he's not. Having the choice of keeping lallana on a sensible wage against Rudi on 10k plas then there is no contest.

For me its not about Rudi its about a young player that needs to improve in certain areas.

Lallana is the most gifted and best player at this club. Playing him wide left last night stifled his play and in my opinion was a complete waste of his talents - he should be played in the 'hole' not just now and then but EVERY match. We are making too many changes and do not have a settled squad.

I feel the worse that if offers are made for Adam in Dec/Jan and we have not played him in his right position/constantly changed his position then he will simply leave. It is imperative to the success of this team that Adam Lallana stays at this club - that means playing him week in and week out in his proper position.

Rant over!

COYR

Lallana is the most gifted and best player at this club. Playing him wide left last night stifled his play and in my opinion was a complete waste of his talents - he should be played in the 'hole' not just now and then but EVERY match. We are making too many changes and do not have a settled squad.

I feel the worse that if offers are made for Adam in Dec/Jan and we have not played him in his right position/constantly changed his position then he will simply leave. It is imperative to the success of this team that Adam Lallana stays at this club - that means playing him week in and week out in his proper position.

Rant over!

COYR

Fair comment.

The problem is that if you have a developing star who has broken into the first team because of his ability in one position and is succesful in that position why move him before he has fully developed.

Surman's best position was and is central midfield. He is then moved out to the left and then left back. His form appears to deteriorate because he is out of position and the supporters start saying he is not the player he was. He in turn can see he is not being allowed to develop his undoubted skills and starts to think, "will I be better off somewhere else?"

Same with Lallana, he wants to play regularly and appreciated he needs to be playing 40+ games for Saints to develop his talent. But if he is being put in a deeper midfield role as he was against Watford or left midfield as he was last night he is only going to tollorate that so much.

For those that say a good player can play many roles well I agree but after they have developed there skills in the position that suites their abilities, not when they are still developing.

Rant over!

COYR

I agree but do we build the team around him at present? Because that is what we have to do if he is a must play in the hole role. In a perverse way him noit be blindingly good every game makes it more likely he will stay as clubs may see him as a risk.He would not get into any PL side in that position at present and so why would he go? He knows he can develop here and he should learn other roles.

I still stand by my observation that he needs to work on his shooting skills.

I do understand what you mean. Last night there were a couple of occassions when a powerful shot was required and he attempted to side foot. He's young and I am sure he will learn from experience (including last night).

I do understand what you mean. Last night there were a couple of occassions when a powerful shot was required and he attempted to side foot. He's young and I am sure he will learn from experience (including last night).

It won't be a problem much longer.

As long as Spurs dob us £5 million for him they can sort out the wonder kid who has already lost us a couple of games because he can't shoot hard and straight.

We can get a big ugly oaf for £1 million who CAN do that and have jam and crumpets for tea with the rest.

Im glad he has as i dont want him to go too soon.

Agree

I think it is obvious we have 2 premiership players in our squad. Davis and Lallana. We can't afford to lose either of them. As you said he didn't have his best night but he gives his all and chases everything he can. Sometimes he does make the wrong decision when he tries to do too much dribbling wise when a simple pass to the right would be easier. But he will learn and get better and better. Even though this is his 1st season in the team proper he does looklike he has been there for years. I just hope he doesn't go the Surman route where he kind of faded away after his good season. Also thankfully he wasen't hurt in that tackle he had last night as i was worried he could of been injured the way he was moving on the ground.

It won't be a problem much longer.

As long as Spurs dob us £5 million for him they can sort out the wonder kid who has already lost us a couple of games because he can't shoot hard and straight.

We can get a big ugly oaf for £1 million who CAN do that and have jam and crumpets for tea with the rest.

Spurs wont buy him they have Modric. He will become a good player for us and then sadly will move on.

He will go in January, I suspect.

not a lot of overpaid players left to lose, but any that are still hanging around and not giving value for money must go before Lallana is sold otherwise the income from his sale will just go on paying their wages.

Spurs wont buy him they have Modric. He will become a good player for us and then sadly will move on.

Personally I'd rather he became a good player for someone else and we have the £5 million right now.

I mean as the yank cousins say:

He's real and he's nice but he ain't real nice.

To me he will probably always be a nearly man, can't score, that's his big problem.

How many League Goals this season ? 1 , that's not good enough for a 14 game

attacking midfielder playing in "the hole"

This is the Cantona and MLT role, they were one goal every 3 games (or so ) players.

Personally I'd rather he became a good player for someone else and we have the £5 million right now.

I mean as the yank cousins say:

He's real and he's nice but he ain't real nice.

To me he will probably always be a nearly man, can't score, that's his big problem.

How many League Goals this season ? 1 , that's not good enough for a 14 game

attacking midfielder playing in "the hole"

This is the Cantona and MLT role, they were one goal every 3 games (or so ) players.

I understand your point but I have to hold my hand up and say i thought Shearer was overrated and we had done well to get get 3m for him. He also wasnt good at 1 on 1's at that time but he raced away.Add to his stats the pens he has got us (Not that helped much) and he is a prospect. When he learns to shoot from distance he will start to learn quickly and that part of his game will improve. Keep him and it keeps a large section of the fans happy, the last thing we need is the club selling him and the fans getting on the backs of the club.

ps at present I think he would only command sub 1.5m

I understand your point but I have to hold my hand up and say i thought Shearer was overrated and we had done well to get get 3m for him. He also wasnt good at 1 on 1's at that time but he raced away.Add to his stats the pens he has got us (Not that helped much) and he is a prospect. When he learns to shoot from distance he will start to learn quickly and that part of his game will improve. Keep him and it keeps a large section of the fans happy, the last thing we need is the club selling him and the fans getting on the backs of the club.

ps at present I think he would only command sub 1.5m

He was more valuable in August before all the world and his dog found out that he couldn't shoot. I think (and this is just a sort of hunch) that Gasmi will show him up for what he is. Tricky and agile but can't shoot and not very solid.

I (and I'm not a great one for this) blame him 100% for the loss against Blackpool, we could have been 2 up and cruising if he could just shoot hard and low and not hit airy fairy dollie droppers in the middle of the goal.

He was more valuable in August before all the world and his dog found out that he couldn't shoot. I think (and this is just a sort of hunch) that Gasmi will show him up for what he is. Tricky and agile but can't shoot and not very solid.

I (and I'm not a great one for this) blame him 100% for the loss against Blackpool, we could have been 2 up and cruising if he could just shoot hard and low and not hit airy fairy dollie droppers in the middle of the goal.

I think it would have been 1 up, but I also recall that occasion. Like DMG we must be fair and accpet they are only lads and Lallana scored the crucial goal at WBA last season that to a degree made life easier last day.

I think it would have been 1 up, but I also recall that occasion. Like DMG we must be fair and accpet they are only lads and Lallana scored the crucial goal at WBA last season that to a degree made life easier last day.

That's where we differ. I don't count 20 going on 21 as being a lad any more.

No military(retired) man does.

Rant over!

COYR

Exactly how I saw it.

Lallana is a precocious talent and one of the best things about the Club since Theo.

He was wasted and isolated wide left, and whilst he did some good things he is much better used in the hole.

We should be looking to build a team around this player, but sadly Jan keeps chopping and changing all the time.

Being brutally honest, he may be better learning his trade somewhere else where they value him and look after him and I for one wouldn't blame him if he felt his future lay elsewhere.

Edited by um pahars

just spoke to both lallana and surman in the megastore,both good lads,lallana seems very quiet and a bit shy.

they are probably our biggest assets but hopefully they will be here next season at least.

I hop you didn't buy next years calendar with them both in it!!!!!!!

(unless of course Lallana has the first two weeks of January and Surman the second two!!!!!).

Exactly how I saw it.

Lallana is a precocious talent and one of the best things about the Club since Theo.

He was wasted and isolated wide left, and whilst he did some good things he is much better used in the hole.

We should be building a team around this player, but sadly Jan keeps chopping and changing all the time.

Being brutally honest, he may be better learning his trade somewhere else where they value him and look after him and I for one wouldn't blame him if he felt his future lay elsewhere.

Surely a player has to make a place his own and as yet Lallana has not stamped his mark on it fully. Where in the Pl would he get games week in week out? and so staying here would be best IMO

Surely a player has to make a place his own and as yet Lallana has not stamped his mark on it fully. Where in the Pl would he get games week in week out? and so staying here would be best IMO

If we're building a team around Lallana it's no wonder we're crap.

He's OK, just OK. At the start of the season he got us some penalties, now defenders know that the best thing they can do is leave him well alone because he can't fecking well shoot.They know he'll go down like a lead brick if they so muchas breath on him.

I for one would just like the experiment to be made to see just how we look without wonderboy.

I think we might look a bit more rigorous and heavyweight if he had a seat on the bench for a week or so.

Statistics say he's had 18 shots on target in 14 league games. **** poor.

Edited by Window Cleaner

If we're building a team around Lallana it's no wonder we're crap.

He's OK, just OK. At the start of the season he got us some penalties, now defenders know that the best thing they can do is leave him well alone because he can't fecking well shoot.They know he'll go down like a lead brick if they so muchas breath on him.

I for one would just like the experiment to be made to see just how we look without wonderboy.

I think we might look a bit more rigorous and heavyweight if he had a seat on the bench for a week or so.

Statistics say he's had 18 shots on target in 14 league games. **** poor.

You seem to be getting a touch ****ed off with Lallana has he done something to offend you or is it just his weak shooting ability that has rattled your cage.

It's all immaterial, as any player that's half good will go in January anyway. Unless we can keep players like him and build around them, then we stand no chance of progressing, so even if we survive this season in this division, we cannot find an endless supply of saleable youngsters worth enough to pay the bills. The spiral is going just one way; downwards.

You seem to be getting a touch ****ed off with Lallana has he done something to offend you or is it just his weak shooting ability that has rattled your cage.

Weak shooting ability from a guy who's supposed to be playing "in the hole".

Jan keeps saying and the fans keep saying were not converting our chances.

I am of the opinion that the role that Lallana is supposed to be playing is in fact stopping us from playing another out and out striker. If he can't shoot correctly

from 15/18/20/25 ,you know like MLT, and hoover up whatever loose balls fall

on the edge of,or just outside the box and hammer them goalwards,first time

without thinking about it,then he's not playing 'in the hole'.

I've seen the system criticised and multiple requests to revert to 4-4-2 but

Lallana would have no place in such a system. He's not an attacker, he's not

a rock solid midfield player.

If we went 4-4-2 you'd have to go for MCG and Robertson up front and

Surman,Euell,Morgan and Cork in midfield. No place for your man.

Firstly, IMHO you should play players in their best position whenever possible. Of course there may be times when the teams need comes first, but ultimately I think you get the best out of players when you pay them in their favoured positions.

Secondly, if he's not ready for that position, then perhaps he should be eased in and not thrown in at the deep end and then played out of position.

If Lallana is going to play they we should play to his strengths as they're one of the only strengths we've got at the moment.

BTW I'm not actually sure games week in and week out is what some of these guys need.

Weak shooting ability from a guy who's supposed to be playing "in the hole".

Jan keeps saying and the fans keep saying were not converting our chances.

I am of the opinion that the role that Lallana is supposed to be playing is in fact stopping us from playing another out and out striker. If he can't shoot correctly

from 15/18/20/25 ,you know like MLT, and hoover up whatever loose balls fall

on the edge of,or just outside the box and hammer them goalwards,first time

without thinking about it,then he's not playing 'in the hole'.

I've seen the system criticised and multiple requests to revert to 4-4-2 but

Lallana would have no place in such a system. He's not an attacker, he's not

a rock solid midfield player.

If we went 4-4-2 you'd have to go for MCG and Robertson up front and

Surman,Euell,Morgan and Cork in midfield. No place for your man.

You obviously wont be sorry to see him go,good luck with the talented Robertson and MCG.

You obviously wont be sorry to see him go,good luck with the talented Robertson and MCG.

Not the same role.

People keep saying AL is supposed to be playing "in the hole".

That's MLT, Zidane,Bergkamp,Zola,Maradonna,Cantona etc.

What do those blokes have in common, they could all hit screamers from 25 yards, on target and "as they came".

Got to agree that this is the most significant area of the game that AL can improve upon, but overall he's one of the brightest prospects at the club and has enough ability and influence to make it into he starting 11 every match at the moment.

I thought he looked out of sorts last night. I don't know if that was just about playing wide left or if he was carrying an injury, but based on previous performances I'd say it was a dip in form rather than a fundamental lack of ability.

Got to agree that this is the most significant area of the game that AL can improve upon, but overall he's one of the brightest prospects at the club and has enough ability and influence to make it into he starting 11 every match at the moment.

I thought he looked out of sorts last night. I don't know if that was just about playing wide left or if he was carrying an injury, but based on previous performances I'd say it was a dip in form rather than a fundamental lack of ability.

Not saying he doesn't have ability but I doubt the wisdom of a side being built round such an inexperienced player (19 first team starts) who's supposed to be a deep striker who can't score.Think he needs a rest to see what we can conjure up without him.Personally I'd rather have the 3million to spend on a seasoned striker without going to John and Rasiak wage levels.

McG can score goals, we know that, I'd rather he was playing up front with

a fast out and out striker than all alone in some half ****ed Puskas look alike system without the kind of seasoned player you need to implement it.

Rudi played in the hole in Scotland, let's give him a stab at it Saturday to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by Window Cleaner

He's better than Rudi, eh nicky ??

Although I don't rate Lallana that highly just yet, he is miles ahead of Skacel in terms of what he can offer the team (regardless of wage/value).

Lallana is a decent player but the amount of end product you get him him is frustrating, he seems to have tailed off a bit since the start of the season but he is probably playing too many games. He certainly didn't look fit against Sheffield United and Swansea.

Long term, he will be a cracking player but I wouldn't get that worried about a premiership side nicking him just yet.

Although I don't rate Lallana that highly just yet, he is miles ahead of Skacel in terms of what he can offer the team (regardless of wage/value).

Lallana is a decent player but the amount of end product you get him him is frustrating, he seems to have tailed off a bit since the start of the season but he is probably playing too many games. He certainly didn't look fit against Sheffield United and Swansea.

Long term, he will be a cracking player but I wouldn't get that worried about a premiership side nicking him just yet.

I'm not sure that you're right there actually Ash.

Not for the system that we seem to be trying to play.

If your "man in the hole"' isn't scoring the system goes totally tits up because he's supposed to be the man, you play a lone striker who gets all the shîte off of the defence and your hole man is supposed to profit from the work of the lone striker. It needs a player of character and charisma, a player known for his efficacy, the defence have to be afraid of what he might do to them if they leave him a nanosecond too long or a square inch of grass too much. Thus your lone striker profits from the nervosity of the defence. If your hole man is a wimp who can't shoot for toffee and has no physical presence (most of them get cards ,even reds) on the game your lone striker is a sacrificial lamb because all the defence has to do is shut him down.

Andrew Surman

Came into the side but was lightweight and used wide right and left. In an emergency he was used at left back that hardened him up quickly. He has now reverted to his favourite position.

He benefited from playing wide and fullback as that hardened him up and gave him some awareness of the needs of wide players.

Adam Lallana.

Still a bit lightweight, skill on the ball but lacking end product, shooting is really poor. He competes and makes a real effort to play as he is picked. Like Surman at this stage he will learn valuable lessons wherever he plays.

I am not convinced by in the hole strikers. We need a presence up front. In the hole strikers have to time runs into the six yd box past the main striker, he doesn't do this.

We need his skill but we are dominated by opposing defences in the last third. We need pace wide and power and pace up front. It might be better for him to play up alongside McGoldrick. As we don't have power and pace they together could cause defences problems in other ways, provided they stick close and play off each other.