Bob Marley

RonManager

Brilliant.

When the second Wailers album came out, I was a 'complaints officer' at Island Records. Just as I joined, the pressing plant lost the plot and pressed line after line of ashtray-shaped vinyl. So I spent an entire summer handwriting letters saying 'sorry, here's another bent album'. All done in a haze of marijuana smoke so thick that the forklift drivers downstairs in the warehouse were banned from driving in the afternoons. After three months of that, it just showed how durable Marley's career was going to be.

Brilliant.

When the second Wailers album came out, I was a 'complaints officer' at Island Records. Just as I joined, the pressing plant lost the plot and pressed line after line of ashtray-shaped vinyl. So I spent an entire summer handwriting letters saying 'sorry, here's another bent album'. All done in a haze of marijuana smoke so thick that the forklift drivers downstairs in the warehouse were banned from driving in the afternoons. After three months of that, it just showed how durable Marley's career was going to be.

Are you Dubai Phil in disguise?

Remember seeing this documentary about his life many years ago, and the part about his funeral procession struck me particularly...

He went to his grave having earned the love and respect of not just his entire nation, but millions of people around the world. I am struggling to think of anybody else who can claim to have made such a positive impact on so many people.

RIP Bob, your legacy lives on...