Olympic games

Thedelldays

Had an amazing day. Got the train to Kingston form Parkway (conveniently changing at Wimbledon) and saw some of the women's time trial. Walked through a huge park behind Hampton Court, vaulted a fence and ended up 150m from the finish line of the time trial just where the last corner was by the big screen.

Train up to Waterloo, then onto Excel for the boxing where the £30 tickets I bought this morning got me sat with loads of athletes in prime seats. Saw 2 Brits, both of who won and was back in Waterloo 30 minutes after the end in plenty of time for the 0030 train back. Loved it. Even saw a random Venezualan with a medal at Canning Town, stopping to have photos with anyone who wanted them.

Have to day London is a very good place to visit at the moment. Everyone is happy and friendly, strangers are actually taking to each other and no one seems to be rushing about and looking stressed. Just brilliant.

Had an amazing day. Got the train to Kingston form Parkway (conveniently changing at Wimbledon) and saw some of the women's time trial. Walked through a huge park behind Hampton Court, vaulted a fence and ended up 150m from the finish line of the time trial just where the last corner was by the big screen.

Train up to Waterloo, then onto Excel for the boxing where the £30 tickets I bought this morning got me sat with loads of athletes in prime seats. Saw 2 Brits, both of who won and was back in Waterloo 30 minutes after the end in plenty of time for the 0030 train back. Loved it. Even saw a random Venezualan with a medal at Canning Town, stopping to have photos with anyone who wanted them.

Have to day London is a very good place to visit at the moment. Everyone is happy and friendly, strangers are actually taking to each other and no one seems to be rushing about and looking stressed. Just brilliant.

Possibly because no Londoners are there at the moment - either on vacation or working from home! ;)

When I got up this morning I thought, shall I go to Wimbledon and pay money to hang out with toffs supporting an overated underachiever in a sport cherished by middle-aged ladies, or shall I go and join the mass hysteria on the streets supporting the man who won the brutal Tour de France, and who was going to ruthlessly put his opponents to the sword and write history?....mmmm, difficult...

Let's just say that four hours on a pavement in Esher was worth every minute.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/cycling/9445432/London-2012-Olympics-British-public-stand-tall-to-show-the-Olympics-belongs-to-them.html

300,000 people watched with you. Wow

I'm flying in to Heathrow on Saturday - nothing to do with the Olympics, it just happened to coincide. I was planning on giving London a wide berth till after the games as there are things and places I want to go without getting stuck in crowds. But the atmos of being in town amidst it all sounds quite appealing.

I never even gave tickets a thought but what with the shambles on empty seats and you say you bought the same day, how would I go about trying to attend? What events are there tickets available for?

I'm flying in to Heathrow on Saturday - nothing to do with the Olympics, it just happened to coincide. I was planning on giving London a wide berth till after the games as there are things and places I want to go without getting stuck in crowds. But the atmos of being in town amidst it all sounds quite appealing.

I never even gave tickets a thought but what with the shambles on empty seats and you say you bought the same day, how would I go about trying to attend? What events are there tickets available for?

Twitter

James Pearce

[h=1]James Pearce[/h] [h=2]@Pearcesport[/h] BBC Olympics Correspondent. Been covering London 2012 every step of the way for more than a decade. This is an official @bbcsport account.

Journo who keeps an eye open. He tweeted everyday about where to find tickets in the build up & continues to let people know

The official site are releasing several thousand tickets for the next day every evening. I guess you may need to be registered on the Locog site (locals can advise)

Transport is not a problem in London what so ever. Not that bad around east end either.

All the venues are on the jubilee line

Well I know I was one of the ones who was really looking forward to it before but I have been blown away by everything so far. The level of support is just stunning. I have spoken to many people who have been. A mate of mine's daughter was an international ping pong player and he travelled all around the world with her - she took him a couple of days ago as a thank you and he said he had never seen anything like it - wasn't even a GB match but the noise was astonishing.

Rather got to me yesterday to hear the crowd belting out the anthem when the girls got the Gold have to say.

Our olympic adventure starts on Saturday , taking the family to the athletics

So... has anyone changed their opinion? anyone opreviously cynical and pleasantly surprised?

Transport is not a problem in London what so ever. Not that bad around east end either.

All the venues are on the jubilee line

I know the transport situation is probably fine, it was more whether the museums and other stuff that I wanted to do, would be even more chaotic 'cos of the games...?

Any London residents/commuters give me an idea?

Day Six at the Olympics: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19037273

GB ATHLETES TO WATCH

The first of the main Team GB medal contenders to organise your day around is the men's lightweight four rowing crew, featuring Coleraine brothers Richard and Peter Chambers, who are on the water at Eton Dorney at 1210 BST. They were winners of their heat and semi-final and are gunning for world champions Australia.

Peter Wilson and Richard Faulds go in the double trap shooting and are the best chance of British gold at the Royal Artillery Barracks at the Games. Qualification from 0900 BST with the final at 1500 BST.

Around tea-time we should hopefully see track cyclists Victoria Pendelton and Jess Varnish in women's team sprint final at 1801 BST as the pine-fresh velodrome gets its first airing of the Games. The power-packed trio of Jason Kenny, Sir Chris Hoy and Philip Hindes launch themselves at team sprint gold at 1818 as long as evrything goes to plan in qualifying.

That is all before swimmer Fran Halsall goes in the women's 100m freestyle final at 2037...

I know the transport situation is probably fine, it was more whether the museums and other stuff that I wanted to do, would be even more chaotic 'cos of the games...?

Any London residents/commuters give me an idea?

It's no worse than normal. Standard is running stories everyday about how quiet traders are finding it. South bank was busy yesterday but is every summer. Lots of things going on down there.

Lots of Americans, possibly more than normal.

Have noticed that there are lots of guides/stewards to help which are handy for people unfamiliar with places.

It's no worse than normal. Standard is running stories everyday about how quiet traders are finding it. South bank was busy yesterday but is every summer. Lots of things going on down there.

Lots of Americans, possibly more than normal.

Have noticed that there are lots of guides/stewards to help which are handy for people unfamiliar with places.

I travelled from Hampton Court across to Waterloo and on to the Excel in rush hour yesterday and it wasn't all that busy at all. Reports are that many Londeners are working from home or leaving early.

And yes there are thousands of guides, stewards and security everywhere all of whom seem very clued up.

In regards getting tickets, yes you will need to register on the official website but do check late night/early morning for released tickets as they are coming on sale. People were buying athletics tickets yesterday.

Going tomorrow. I just can't wait.

you will absolutely love it.

make sure you have a good wander round (the whole park is huge)....it was good to sit down by the boating lake and watch the games on the huge telly.

the Velodrome is really an impressive site.

also, keep your ear to the ground for recycled tickets..they go on sale at very very short notice for £5. but you have to be at the right place at the right time

also, you have to visit the McDonalds there.....the biggest in the world....the other McDonalds is the 2nd biggest in the world lol

it is expensive (as I'm sure you could imagine)

we got off the jubilee line and went into west fields shopping centre and had breakkie before we went in..saved shed loads of cash as food is very expensive

saw loads of various athletes from various nations in west fields......many of the ladies are just stunning

its all very political...my mates there told me that the FBI have an OPS room there. The Chinese Athletes are generally not allowed out. Neither really are the Yanks....

Edited by Thedelldays

They didn't get the lane they should have and that would have been the 0.2s difference - its a big deal for them as you can imagine - however that was one of the best races I've ever seen

Looking good in Judo and shooting at the moment as well

Then the main event - as Frankie Boyle tweeted a few days ago ' I would eat Victoria Pendletons saddle ' nom

yesssssssssssssss, f/cking amazing, she's in the final. Beat the world champion FFS. you've gotta see this on the news, she was knackered but got a rush of strength and threw her opponent down. fantastic.

Edited by dune

He's a racist c**t. "The black" couldnt possibly have been "ours" on first reflection....

Oh dear, jumping to conclusions. If you look up I have explained that my confusion was based on the colours they were wearing.:rolleyes: