Olympic games

Thedelldays

Very true. Best ever winner of medals - without a doubt, best ever swimmer - certainly but best ever Olympian? And is winning a medal what it is all about?

FWIW my vote would go to Mohamed Ali Rashwan a member of the Egyptian Judo team in 1984. In the final of his class in 1984 he was up against a Japanese (Yama****a) who had injured his right leg in an earlier round. The Egyptian refused to attack Yama****a's right leg as he believed it would be unfair to do so.

Swimming is a sport that facilitates multimedal winning. There have been a number of occasions in these games where swimmers, having competed in one race, are back in the pool 50 minutes later winning a gold medal. I can't think of many sports where that would be possible.

IMO phelps haul at Bejing ( 8 ) was no more impressive than Bolt (3). Redgrave has to up there having won 5 endurance golds in one of the toughest sports as should the chap who is representing Canada for the 10th time

Edited by CB Saint
8 ) turns into a smiley

Honestly thought they would bottle it - fair play

I'm sure I heard one of the commentators on the rowing heats earlier this week say that some teams would deliberately not win a first heat but rather wait for the repecharge to qualify for the semis so that they didn't meet the strongest teams in the semis.

I may have misunderstood but at the time I thought that wasn't the Olympic spirit either.

It's a bit like football teams putting out weak teams for trophies when they're concentrating on league positions, I guess.

No medal for Team GB in womans time-trial.

Apparently it wasnt the right sort of course for the GB best time-trialler, Emma Pooley.

Who the f**ck sets these courses ? Can you imaging the French, Yanks, Chinese or Russians throwing away home advantages by setting crap courses for their athletes ?

This infuriating cricket-match sh*t raises its ugly head - again !!!

Its like this French first announcement b*ll*cks.

Whats wrong with us - is patriotism vulgar, or even worse forbidden in the UK nowadays ?

Alps goes into meltdown, absolutely priceless. Thank you Alps, you are a legend.

Swimming is a sport that facilitates multimedal winning. There have been a number of occasions in these games where swimmers, having competed in one race, are back in the pool 50 minutes later winning a gold medal. I can't think of many sports where that would be possible.

IMO phelps haul at Bejing ( 8 ) was no more impressive than Bolt (3). Redgrave has to up there having won 5 endurance golds in one of the toughest sports as should the chap who is representing Canada for the 10th time

8 medals. That's 8 events, giving it all you can. That's a hell of a lot, and while you quite rightly state there are more chances of medals, the chance of failure must be higher?

Murray looking more like Murray in the second set. 6-1.

Hopefully he can come through well in the third to get through to the quarters. He really should get a medal of some colour in this. He is more than capable.

Edit: And Murray is through. Pretty routine in the end. Really celebrated at the end.

Edited by Saintandy666

8 medals. That's 8 events, giving it all you can. That's a hell of a lot, and while you quite rightly state there are more chances of medals, the chance of failure must be higher?

Agreed, but you won't see a track and field athlete enter 8 events or more (decathlon doesn't count before MLG pipes up). I not belittling the acheivement - it is amazing. There must be something about the physical demands of swimming which facilitates quicker recovery.

Murray looking more like Murray in the second set. 6-1.

Hopefully he can come through well in the third to get through to the quarters. He really should get a medal of some colour in this. He is more than capable.

Edit: And Murray is through. Pretty routine in the end. Really celebrated at the end.

In the world of Irony on finals day...

Murray wins at Wimbledon yet will never win Wimbledon

Agreed, but you won't see a track and field athlete enter 8 events or more (decathlon doesn't count before MLG pipes up). I not belittling the acheivement - it is amazing. There must be something about the physical demands of swimming which facilitates quicker recovery.

If one was forced to make an arbitrary judgement on the 'best ever Olympian' I would look at the intensity of training required for each Olympics and divide that by the number of medals won at each games then multiply that by the number of Olympics they've taken part in.

I suspect Steve Redgrave would come top of that particular pile.

Of course the organisers will say that to avoid opening the floodgates, but it's not the organisers that uphold the law of the land.

I was referring to UK consumer law which states you are entitled to a refund for any goods or services that were either 'not as advertised' or 'not of merchantable quality'.

Anyone contesting the all too obvious 'no refunds' stance taken by the retailer ought to win their case if the law of the land is adhered to.

The organisers are relying on people not being clued up as far as UK consumer law is concerned, which is a fairly save bet knowing this country's population...

Edited by trousers

You seem to make no allowance for other teams over-performing or 'pulling one out of the bag'. The favourites do not always win. This is why sport is so compelling... underdogs can succeed, favourites can sometimes fall short. You make it all sound so simplistic. And to then make the link that one potential failure would affect everyone else...?! Well, I can only hope you never seek to coach or teach anyone because that kind of mentality would stop many athletes before they got very far.

Have you ever fallen short at something? Or do you always achieve everything you set out to? If you were beaten at something by someone who put in an exceptional performance, would you give up? If everyone slated you as a result, how would you feel?

You do the same with Saints... grudging credit only when we win, unable to see merit in any performance if we don't, and you sap the enthusiasm out of anyone who listens. YOU might think you're right, clearly, but sometimes you have to stop and look around at the influence you're having and think about why other people hold the opinion of you that they do.

This is not the way narcissists operate. EVERYTHING is about them.

When I got up this morning I thought, shall I go to Wimbledon and pay money to hang out with toffs supporting an overated underachiever in a sport cherished by middle-aged ladies, or shall I go and join the mass hysteria on the streets supporting the man who won the brutal Tour de France, and who was going to ruthlessly put his opponents to the sword and write history?....mmmm, difficult...

Let's just say that four hours on a pavement in Esher was worth every minute.

If one was forced to make an arbitrary judgement on the 'best ever Olympian' I would look at the intensity of training required for each Olympics and divide that by the number of medals won at each games then multiply that by the number of Olympics they've taken part in.

I suspect Steve Redgrave would come top of that particular pile.

You forgot to divide by the reciprocal of the coefficient of their country's population density and then multiply by the square-root of their country's GDP.

;)

When I got up this morning I thought, shall I go to Wimbledon and pay money to hang out with toffs supporting an overated underachiever in a sport cherished by middle-aged ladies, or shall I go and join the mass hysteria on the streets supporting the man who won the brutal Tour de France, and who was going to ruthlessly put his opponents to the sword and write history?....mmmm, difficult...

Let's just say that four hours on a pavement in Esher was worth every minute.

Well done you lucky bstd. Try and find an "I was there " T-Shirt - a special moment and WOW what crowds they had

I thought of a new event earlier. Upstream swimming. They could use the rapids they use for canoeing/kayaking. It'd be brilliant. Just a simple race from bottom to top. Anyone know anyone official I could mention it too - would I get a pay-out if they like the idea?

I thought of a new event earlier. Upstream swimming. They could use the rapids they use for canoeing/kayaking. It'd be brilliant. Just a simple race from bottom to top. Anyone know anyone official I could mention it too - would I get a pay-out if they like the idea?

They could have separate events for men and women and then a combined team. In the combined team evennt, when the women get to the top, they have to eject a wad of eggs; when the men reach the top they have to find and fertilise the eggs belonging to their own team!

Too fancy. I wish they would just have egg and spoon races, sack races, three legged races and welly wanging.

Hmmm. do they use salt water in these pools now? If so, what is the effect on speed? What with maybe a little extra buoyancy possibly maybe or perhaps not.

Oh, I don't know if they use saline solutions in pools used for competitive swimming. Your question is an interesting one. Probaly not, for the reason you suggest.

Well that was a helluva lot more enjoyable than watching England play hoofball.

If Sturridge gets 100% fit that team could do something

Not great for the neutrals but well done to the mixed up kids & old farts for being able to play football and have around 60% possession against a South American Football team.

Are you watching Roy Hodgson???? Are you waaahaatching Roy Hodgson

While sitting alongside Trev that was

Well that was a helluva lot more enjoyable than watching England play hoofball.

If Sturridge gets 100% fit that team could do something

Not great for the neutrals but well done to the mixed up kids & old farts for being able to play football and have around 60% possession against a South American Football team.

Are you watching Roy Hodgson???? Are you waaahaatching Roy Hodgson

While sitting alongside Trev that was

Stop abusing my real name please. Have you been stalking me?