Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan - Post Match Reaction

Baj

are we the only two that have highlighted this problem, Window Cleaner.? Every time I bring up the subject people suggest Gazza as replacement !

I'm not ANTI-KD.....but do anyone think that Gazza (good talent that he maybe) is a good replacement / challenger for the No.1 spot.?

KD has stayed virtually injury-free in 5 years, but IF anything were to happen, we can't run round in panic and try to get an " unemployed Prem. class keeper " - who just happens to be free and available.

You are by no means alone in thinking this.

My take is that Kelvin (bless him) is a good keeper, but not really an outstanding one. Given the scale of the challenge ahead of us we surely we need to sign a top quality keeper this week, or face the consequences. The record shows that collectively our defense was conceding a goal a game last season in the Championship, That did not prove fatal at the time because our forwards were scoring frequently. Faced however with significantly sharper Premier League strikers, and more robust defences too, if that stat goes up to 2 or 3 goals a game conceded - which seems likely right now - then the writing is already on the wall for us this season.

The need to sign a experienced keeper who can both challenge Davis for a starting place and/or provide reliable cover should he become injured, is pressing. The last time we were in this division we had two International quality goalkeepers on our books - Antti Niemi & Paul Jones. Recreating that enviable situation is too much to ask, but signing one quality keeper isn't.

You are by no means alone in thinking this.

My take is that Kelvin (bless him) is a good keeper, but not really an outstanding one. Given the scale of the challenge ahead of us we surely we need to sign a top quality keeper this week, or face the consequences. The record shows that collectively our defense was conceding a goal a game last season in the Championship, That did not prove fatal at the time because our forwards were scoring frequently. Faced however with significantly sharper Premier League strikers, and more robust defences too, if that stat goes up to 2 or 3 goals a game conceded - which seems likely right now - then the writing is already on the wall for us this season.

The need to sign a experienced keeper who can both challenge Davis for a starting place and/or provide reliable cover should he become injured, is pressing. The last time we were in this division we had two International quality goalkeepers on our books - Antti Niemi & Paul Jones. Recreating that enviable situation is too much to ask, but signing one quality keeper isn't.

Overall I'd agree with that.

However on Saturday Kelvin had one shot to deal with which he made an excellent save from, and was let down by Fonte (OK so TV said he was fouled, but in a position like he was in he should have been MUCH stronger in the tackle or made sure the player didn't get away from him)

For the first goal, (Fonte again) lost his man. The only critique I have was that Kelvin did not seem to "Stand Tall" as the player shaped to shoot and seemed to squat down (almost shrink) giving the striker a bigger target.

However, seeing as Joe Hart has faced 4 shots and conceded 4 goals, Keeper is NOT the most critical position on the team at this moment, let's see what he has in front of him in a week's time. With more protection he may be fine

Overall I'd agree with that.

However on Saturday Kelvin had one shot to deal with which he made an excellent save from, and was let down by Fonte (OK so TV said he was fouled, but in a position like he was in he should have been MUCH stronger in the tackle or made sure the player didn't get away from him)

For the first goal, (Fonte again) lost his man. The only critique I have was that Kelvin did not seem to "Stand Tall" as the player shaped to shoot and seemed to squat down (almost shrink) giving the striker a bigger target.

However, seeing as Joe Hart has faced 4 shots and conceded 4 goals, Keeper is NOT the most critical position on the team at this moment, let's see what he has in front of him in a week's time. With more protection he may be fine

I agree with this. KD has been beaten twice at his near post this season if you want to be very harsh about De Santo's goal. But having now seen MoTD and Football First, the standard of keeping is very, very average in this league. People talk about Al-Habsi pulling off great saves on Saturday but every shot was straight at him!!

I think the keeper's union have put it into our heads that if a bloke tips over a shot which is hit straight above his heaed, it is a wonder save! When in fact, given that with his arms up he is the same height as the goal, this is nonsense!

KD is nowhere near the standard of Neimi but I don't believe a single keeper in thid division is. Talk about ball movement all you like, keeper's now flap, parry and punch anything even when it is hit at their chests!

Federici has made far worse mistakes than Davis in his 2 games, and many would have said he was the outstanding keeper in the Championship last season.

I think Davis is ok for this league but if a better option becomes available for the right price then we should make a move either now or in January.

To those questioning why Adkins didnt make subs earlier the answer is because there were no Premier League quality players available to him.

Need additions this week and the quality of them will define the season.

Might be true but that's a shocker when you think about it.Less than a week to deadline day and we have no depth in the squad...oh dear.

Without jumping on any particular bandwagon, or getting hysterical, he has had all f^cking summer to remedy this and it does not help that when we do eventually attract our long term target - after a twelve month wait - for a reported £6m we play him out of position.

Agree about the need for additions though, our back four is out of its depth although obviously Clyne is a young and promising player who is still learning.

Well said......Adkins appears to be very ponderous bringing players in and sometimes his choices are expensive for their skill level - certainly Fox would fall

Into this category ! Cant tell too much about Rodrigues yet but certainly that was towards being over the top for a player who as yet has not shone....I know he has been playing out of position but that is the managers decision after all....For me decisions have been rather bizarre at times this year....releasing Harding and Martin with such haste, no Chaplow or Hmmond around on the bench - yesterday's game was crying out for some Chaplow energy and thrusting runs.....it is clear to

me that Adkins is a man who has favourites and this is a very dangerous trait that is emerging in him.....

Well said......Adkins appears to be very ponderous bringing players in and sometimes his choices are expensive for their skill level - certainly Fox would fall

Into this category ! Cant tell too much about Rodrigues yet but certainly that was towards being over the top for a player who as yet has not shone....I know he has been playing out of position but that is the managers decision after all....For me decisions have been rather bizarre at times this year....releasing Harding and Martin with such haste, no Chaplow or Hmmond around on the bench - yesterday's game was crying out for some Chaplow energy and thrusting runs.....it is clear to

me that Adkins is a man who has favourites and this is a very dangerous trait that is emerging in him.....

I cannot believe ANYONE can still have that opinion.

I trust you haven't seen the Ramirez thread?

It is NOT just Adkins involved, it includes Les Reed, our scouts and of course NC

It is NOT just Adkins involved, it includes Les Reed, our scouts and of course NC

For god's sake Phil. All you have to do is identify who you want, pick up the phone and BUY them.

The way you bang on it's as though first the selling club have to think about how much they want the player, who they might bring in to replace him, negotiating terms with the next club, and them going through the same debate, then negotiating terms with the player whose agent then alerts other clubs who might also be interested in the same player, then selling the club's vision to said player and his advisors...

Buying a footballer is not like buying a car. It's like buying a house. You make an offer but the vendor has to move home - and that has to be repated often a dozen times in the same deal...

My point was quite a long one ......with some observations of the general picture......it is obvious that the others you mention are also involved with transfer dealings we all know this and can read other threads thank you...

Got back after taking in the game whilst spending the Bank Holiday with the in-laws. Disappointing atmosphere and to see the empty seats. The first 20 minutes were good and Lallana was very unlucky not to score but after we failed to get in behind Wigan we ran out of ideas and the rest of the game consisted of slow, predictable hoofball. Most NPC sides would have taken us to the cleaners, let alone PL. Still, it strengthened Nigel's case to invest significantly in the squad to get the pace and athleticism required. The playing of J Rod on the left is weird and not working, Nigel had it right at Man City. Like Holt and Morison at Norwich last season, JRod and Lambert will probably alternate rather than play as a front two.

Looks like we are getting the 4 or 5 five pacy new faces we need to get the best out of the slower, technical players we have. An exception to that is the excellent Clyne, despite some moron on the bus interrupting my conversation to say Clyne was the worst player on the pitch (he had clearly had too much Stella pre-match). Lallana was also very good and Davis had a good first half before running out of steam in the second. Guly was hit and miss but Martinez had done his homework on Fox and a lot of Wigan's attacks came down that side. Their number 17 had oceans of space first half and some of Fox's positioning reminded me of Olivier Bernard. So definately an area to address this week with pace. Not much Kelvin could have done with the goals really and people forget that Kone missed two sitters before he scored the second, showing how vulnerable we are to simple diagonal balls. Sharp and JWP added a bit more work rate and effort, which had been lacking after the first 20 minutes. I hated seeing Wigan first to every ball but hopefully the new signings will raise the bar a bit in regard of sharpness and competitiveness, it's ok knocking 5 yard balls around but if you don't work hard off the ball or to win it back you won't get a chance to play after the transfer window shuts. One or two players might have guaranteed their return to the NPC on loan on Saturday's performance.

Not too despondant, as it showed the faults up loud and clear and gave added impetus to get the 5 or 6 new faces with the athletic attributes we need.