Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan - Post Match Reaction

Baj

I'm not sure that the negative remarks about Wigan are justified. I suspect that if you look from about 15 game before the end of last season, they've been one of the PL's better teams. They might not have too many big name players but they're very well coached and - despite their budget - they're on the road to the kind of mid table solidity we're hoping to achieve.

We didn't play well at all in the second half but let's not make it worse by pretending that Wigan are crap.

Despite the bright start -Fox's injury/stoppage seemed to knock the wind out of us, it was predictable, ponderous stuff. Clyne was probably our most direct player which is saying something. That said, Wigan didn't show much and I thought we contained them pretty comfortably. We do need a pacier CB and more cover but, right now, our attack feels like a greater concern.

NA's post-match interview was very revealing. Its pretty obvious that he will stick with 4-3-3 at home and away, raising questions about how to accomodate Lambert, Jrod and the other strikers. NA switched to 4-4-2 in the second half, giving people what they wanted; but it coincided with our worst period of play when we couldn't get the ball off them and they toyed with us.

NA basically conceded that the switch failed: play 4-4-2 and you give the opposition too much possession which, against teams that are comfortable on the ball, will kill you. The personnel didn't help either. Sure they are learning each other's game but Jrod and Lambert looked lost togther, getting in each other's way as both made the same runs, often coming short.

Still don't understand the fixation with RM. In both games, our right hand side has looked pretty good. Rather the left hand side appears to be the problem.

Finally, the Guly bashing is unbelievable - he was one of our best players in the first half. Put in a peach of a cross for the header that the keeper made a great save from. Like the rest of the team, he faded in the second half and conceded possession; but often because he was trying to make things happen unlike the rest of the side that huffed and puffed and laboured in its one pace football.

Edited by shurlock

Why do we always end up with one of our CBs alone in our half of the pitch with the ball and the closest player is about a mile away? Also Fonte was fouled and how clever was it to throw the ball to him with Kone about only inches away?

I would add to this that I'm just not sure about Kelvin in this league. I know it was a 1 on 1 so the odds were against him but he seemed to give Kone the whole goal to shoot into

Not good at all. Never really looked a threat, always looked a man light in defense. They passed us off the park second half.

Hate to start the Guly-bashing so early but did he not lose the ball every time he had it today? Still don't see what he offers us apart from slowing down play long enough for our midfielders to get forward leaving us woefully exposed when he inevitably gets caught in possession.

Nah, sorry Guly did well when you consider he was left so exposed they will be calling him Prince Harry if he's not careful. He's not the best player but certainly he worked his socks off and his passing was as good as any and better than some ala Fox.

Feel a bit flat about the game but not devastated. As most have said, I thought we were pretty good first half but just lacked penetration/ideas when finishing. Agree with peoples opinion about the J-Rod situation - just frustrating really! Thought our shape completely fell apart after the substitutions - we literally had no one in centre mid! Guly really does divide opinion every game,to the point of having an argument with a Guly 'hater' behind us. I thought he was really good first half but would have subbed him after for punch after 75 or so as he didn't have the best second half.

On a brighter note I've had Hazard as fantasy football captain for 2 weeks wooooop!

Oh dear, someone else who doesn't watch the game but just trots out what may be a popular remark. I agree with you on Fonte and Rod, although to be fair Fonte made one awful mistake, otherwise was not troubled by the worst attack in the PL). Guly, though was probably contender for best player on our side today, along with Lallana and Morgan. Everyone else (possibly except Jos and Clyne) was total pants. Not saying Guly was world-beating, but in terms of today's game along with AL he was the only one who you felt might make something happen. Very, very poor performance all round today, no fight, no spirit, no pace, no ideas.

Well said, pretty much how I saw the game. In general ALL the players moved to ball at "walking pace" around the pitch it was as if they were still in "pre-season mode" or unsure of the system they were meant to play.

On the Guly subject I have somebody who sits behind me in the Chapel who was slating him within 30 seconds of the kicked off even before he touched the ball. I wonder WHY some of the Guly-haters bother going to games, because they don't seem to watch it.

On another subject I didn't see Nicola in his usual seat, which in the past has meant that the Liebherr family were over and he was in a Box with them. Does anybody know whether they were here to see that (non)performance ?

As good as Clyne was today I felt he showed a lack of experience at times by holding onto the ball for to long,I have no doubt he will learn to play the ball quicker as he adapts.

Bit miffed to why JWP was brought on when we were chasing the game,personally I would of given Puncheon 20 mins.

Hopefully this will be the catalyst to getting those much needed players in. We weren't that good today, Rodriguez looks good but seems wasted on the wing, guly was hot and cold, I wish he'd give and go sometimes instead of giving then hanging back and ball watch. Their first goal was like knife through butter, we need an experienced centre back who'll take control but they're not easy to come by. We also need a spark and creativity linking up with the strikers, lallana was good at times but someone else in there as well would create more chances.

Still early yet and we'll play better by people might have to get to grips with the idea that we might not get any points for a while.

As good as Clyne was today I felt he showed a lack of experience at times by holding onto the ball for to long,I have no doubt he will learn to play the ball quicker as he adapts.

Bit miffed to why JWP was brought on when we were chasing the game,personally I would of given Puncheon 20 mins.

I think he's a great talent, but is still very raw around the edges - which is to be expected. I think your assessment is fair - at times, his decision making in attacking and defensive positions still isn't 100% - and he has the tendency to get beaten around the back from time to time.

He'll only get better though, the player with pace in our squad....so for that reason alone, starter every week!

The problem we have and its has been the case in both L1 and C/Ship is that we try to build from the back instead of moving the ball forward at pace. There is a time and a place for retaining the ball across the back and waiting for that incisive pass to present itself. What we lack is moving at speed up the pitch and striking whilst on the move.

I think we have superb passing and in particular that fast one touch football at time when in tight corners, some teams don't come even close when it comes to being that comfortable on the ball.

But and for me its a big But, the longer you pass the ball about at the back the more time it gives the opposition time to sort themselves out and take up position waiting for the inevitable Saints attack.

We need more urgency in our play, we need players moving up field with the ball and drawing player supon them before passing or laying the ball off.

I think he's a great talent, but is still very raw around the edges - which is to be expected. I think your assessment is fair - at times, his decision making in attacking and defensive positions still isn't 100% - and he has the tendency to get beaten around the back from time to time.

He'll only get better though, the player with pace in our squad....so for that reason alone, starter every week!

100% starter for me as well,maybe I am biased but for what we picked him up for he could be one of the best bits of business in the prem this window.

With time he will get better and it wont be long before he is challenging for a place in the England squad

Didn't hear much booing, all I heard was big support as the players came round to clap at the end.

There was booing in the Kingsland around Block 36. Disgusting. Probably a bunch of c*nts that have only just decided returned to St Mary's after 7 years "in the wilderness".

There was booing in the Kingsland around Block 36. Disgusting. Probably a bunch of c*nts that have only just decided returned to St Mary's after 7 years "in the wilderness".

I liked the bloke in the back row there, just behind me, who was shouting and moaning all game. He was talking complete crap and his language would have made a docker blush. No problem really, until I looked round and saw that he had his young nipper (couldn't have been older than 5) with him. Classy.

Just in.

I know you are not allowed to criticise Adkins, but he got it wrong.

Why pay £7m for a striker & play him out wide?

Why have absolutely nobody up front when they have a corner?

The game changed when Martinez pushed DoSanto up front from the right wing. They pressed us deep & we did not know what to do. No plan B for Adkins.

We have got promoted by playing attacking football so why has he switched formation?

We got 2 goals on Sunday by switching to 4-4-2 so why switch from 4-5-1 to a diamond?

He is being far too negative & not at all brave.

His comments after the game were nonsense. " We had a game plan & it was working, but we did not take our chances" " We switched formation & we left ourselves too exposed" We lost Mr Adkins & we were losing with your game plan so it was not working. You put Guly in the middle for some strange reason.

I dont think Cortese will tolerate this for too long.

Stop talking rubbish Adkins & find your balls man. If we are gonna lose, lets lose trying to attack!!

Its gonna be a long hard season!!

Just in.

The game changed when Martinez pushed DoSanto up front from the right wing. They pressed us deep & we did not know what to do. No plan B for Adkins.

We have got promoted by playing attacking football so why has he switched formation?

We got 2 goals on Sunday by switching to 4-4-2 so why switch from 4-5-1 to a diamond?

His comments after the game were nonsense. " We had a game plan & it was working, but we did not take our chances" " We switched formation & we left ourselves too exposed" We lost Mr Adkins & we were losing with your game plan so it was not working. You put Guly in the middle for some strange reason.

Stop talking rubbish Adkins & find your balls man. If we are gonna lose, lets lose trying to attack!!

Tbf, we were at our worst when we went 4-4-2. Couldn't get the ball off them and Wigan toyed with us. NA effectively blamed 4-4-2 for our inability to get the ball back in the post-match. Jrod and Lambert didn't look comfortable playing together either. Against City I thought we only switched to 4-4-2 after Sharp came on?

Edited by shurlock

Just in.

Have to agree with everything you say. We lack pace and in that game never played to our strengths, lets go in fighting. What also worries me is the onus on transfers now, we should have nailed them by now to be better prepared. As you said...it will be a long hard season.

What, the 4-4-2 that totally ended the game for us today? Once we switched to 4-4-2 we didn't have a scooby what we were doing.

Keep the formation as it is because it is fluid, easy on the eye and is the way forward long-term - but add a bit more penetration and ''nous'' down the flanks and we'd have more luck.

Exactly, when we changed to 4-4-2 after the first Wigan goal (which was the first time Wigan had really threatened all game, and came just after Lambert had almost put us 1 up with a trademark header), it was embarrassing how easily could then keep the ball. They had us chasing shadows.

4-5-1 / 4-3-3 is the way forward, but we desperately need some pace and trickery on the wings. As much as I like them as players, Guly and Rodriguez aren't working out there. Perhaps Lee could (and maybe putting Lallana back on the left too), but we also need a couple of players like Ramirez and Phillips to make it really work. And of course another CB, maybe a LB too as I don't think Fox is able to support the man ahead of him enough either, to create the much needed 2 on 1 situations down the flanks.

Oh, and unlike last week, Guly was indeed poor today, terrible ball retention and not much came off for him. But HE DID chase back when he lost the ball. People who say he is lazy must be blind. But at the end of the day, hopefully soon, Guly will just be back up to Lallana in the attacking central midfielder role, with faster/trickier players on the wings.

PS - PLEASE CAN A MOD/ADMIN MAKE ME A FULL MEMBER. I PAID MY SUBS OVER A MONTH AGO, AND YOU IGNORE ALL MY MESSAGES! Thanks.

The problem we have and its has been the case in both L1 and C/Ship is that we try to build from the back instead of moving the ball forward at pace. There is a time and a place for retaining the ball across the back and waiting for that incisive pass to present itself. What we lack is moving at speed up the pitch and striking whilst on the move.

I think we have superb passing and in particular that fast one touch football at time when in tight corners, some teams don't come even close when it comes to being that comfortable on the ball.

But and for me its a big But, the longer you pass the ball about at the back the more time it gives the opposition time to sort themselves out and take up position waiting for the inevitable Saints attack.

We need more urgency in our play, we need players moving up field with the ball and drawing player supon them before passing or laying the ball off.

This ^

Also, the passes around the back four are slow, as in no pace on the ball, particularly from keeper to CB. By the time the CB has got the ball they've been closed down and have to rush a pass, usually to a poorly positioned Fox.

But the point you (syd monk & shulock) is missing is that Martinez switched DoSanto about 30/35 mins into the game. Wigan then pushed higher up the park & made us hump it more. Was our answer to expose them down the flanks in a 4-4-2?? No it was a diamond without width. Adkins got it wrong. He talks about players being brave & he simply was not at all brave today.

Just in.

What seems wrong is that we're trying to play Lambert,Lallana,Guly and Rodriguez in a 4-3-3 base system. Nigel's just got to choose becuse it's either Lambert or Rodriguez but not both, surely he knew that when we paid 7 million for an NPC goaleador .

I sat quite close to the squad members that had been left out today. Steve de Ridder and Tadanari Lee didn't look too impressed, Chaplow was nonplussed, Hammond and Butterfield were having a laugh. The three youngsters seemed very down to earth.

I'd be none too impressed either if I was TL and I was fit.

What seems wrong is that we're trying to play Lambert,Lallana,Guly and Rodriguez in a 4-3-3 base system. Nigel's just got to choose becuse it's either Lambert or Rodriguez but not both, surely he knew that when we paid 7 million for an NPC goaleador .
Rubbish. If we'd played 4-4-2 like last season, Guly wide right, Lallana wide left, Lambert and Rodrigues up front, we'd have won today. Adkins got the tactics spot on last week, he got them wrong today.

That was a wake up call!

Firstly, credit where credit is due, Wigan played well, a well organised team who didn't allow us ANY time to settle on the ball. They also took their chances.

We looked lethargic, no urgency and no real ideas going forward.

We still can't defend, and unless some reinforcements are bought in, we'll be heading straight back down. We also lack strength in depth.

The 4-3-3 which was basically 4-5-1 didn't work, not at home. And why did it take Adkins 75 minutes to change it?

Clyne looked good, as did Davis, when he becomes match fit it'll be crucial. Fox looked to be struggling with the injury he picked up in the first half.

If ever there was proof that we need to spend some sensible money, that was it. Thankfully that performance came before the close of the window

Despite the bright start -Fox's injury/stoppage seemed to knock the wind out of us, it was predictable, ponderous stuff. Clyne was probably our most direct player which is saying something. That said, Wigan didn't show much and I thought we contained them pretty comfortably. We do need a pacier CB and more cover but, right now, our attack feels like a greater concern.

NA's post-match interview was very revealing. Its pretty obvious that he will stick with 4-3-3 at home and away, raising questions about how to accomodate Lambert, Jrod and the other strikers. NA switched to 4-4-2 in the second half, giving people what they wanted; but it coincided with our worst period of play when we couldn't get the ball off them and they toyed with us.

NA basically conceded that the switch failed: play 4-4-2 and you give the opposition too much possession which, against teams that are comfortable on the ball, will kill you. The personnel didn't help either. Sure they are learning each other's game but Jrod and Lambert looked lost togther, getting in each other's way as both made the same runs, often coming short.

Still don't understand the fixation with RM. In both games, our right hand side has looked pretty good. Rather the left hand side appears to be the problem.

Finally, the Guly bashing is unbelievable - he was one of our best players in the first half. Put in a peach of a cross for the header that hit the bar. Like the rest of the team, he faded in the second half and conceded possession; but often because he was trying to make things happen unlike the rest of the side that huffed and puffed and laboured in its one pace football.

What you reckon Rodrigues role is this season? You reckon we told him when signing he'd be left wing back?

Edited by Sour Mash

After the first 15 minutes we were pretty poor - I am worried that NA did not seem to have a plan B until 15 minutes from the end when Rodriguez came into the centre from the left side where he had been wasted. Clyne was good and so was Schneiderlin - some of the others really do not look like PL players. Hopefully this will be a wake up call.

4-3-3. I get the theory. It's the execution that bothers me. That performance was anything but fluid. We didn't move the ball anywhere near quickly enough and without much pace in the side that's essential. Too many passes played across the back four or between the central midfield pair and the back four leaving the centre backs to play it forward...generally poorly. I'm really concerned that we don't have the right players to play this way. I wonder whether the players believe in it. I really hope they can make it work but I found the whole match incredibly frustrating, a big contrast to the confidence displayed in last season's opening home fixture.

Rubbish. If we'd played 4-4-2 like last season, Guly wide right, Lallana wide left, Lambert and Rodrigues up front, we'd have won today. Adkins got the tactics spot on last week, he got them wrong today.

I agree. We were toothless up front. Needed Sharp on from the start of RL and JR up front.

Some of the players were slightly ****ed off that NA changed the formation back to 4-4-2 after an hour and thus letting Wigan back in it and eventually taking over the game,lessons to be learnt me thinks

Why? We were 1-0 down after an hour and not looking threatening. If the players are f****** off them maybe they need to ask themselves why for 2/3rd of the game they threatened little with the formation they seem to prefer.