Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Adkins hasn't a clue at this level. Poor team selection and game plan, no alternative in view. A ground far from full. How can Cortese invest when the ground isn't packed? Why is Sharp playing second fiddle when he should have been on at half time. I love Prowsey but was he the player to swing the game.

For whom the bell tolls, that is what is on a lot of minds tonight.

Edited by ART

I think we saw a lot of the ball today and at times had a little too much time and tried the complicated things instead of the simple option.

Home and away is a very different proposition in the prem and in some ways easier to play away more than home. We need to go 4 4 2 at home and have the two men up front the freedom of the 4 attacking players is not helping them they are all looking to pass it. Stick rickie and jay up front at home with lallana and guly / ano wide for them.

Atkins hasn't a clue at this level. Poor team selection and game plan, no alternative in view. A ground far from full. How can Cortese invest when the ground isn't packed? Why is Sharp playing second fiddle when he should have been on at half time. I love Prowsey but was he the player to swing the game.

and it begins

Atkins hasn't a clue at this level. Poor team selection and game plan, no alternative in view. A ground far from full. How can Cortese invest when the ground isn't packed? Why is Sharp playing second fiddle when he should have been on at half time. I love Prowsey but was he the player to swing the game.

Who is Atkins? The dietician?

What we don't need is the bed wetters to start their hysterical posts !

We only lost by 2 goals against a Premier side that is used to taking points off relegation rivals. They did a good job on one of the League's new boys.

We may get relegated, we may not. We have had time to prepare for the new season we have made a few signings and I think the squad that we have now is more or less it. If we go down it is not the end of the world as we get the Premier parachute and can rebuild next year. FWIW, I see no point in breaking the bank or depleting our financial resources.

Enjoy the Premier League, take each game one at a time and who cares about the table.

Did you go to the game? I DIDNT THINK SO!

it's all very well giving your thoughts from the arm chair, you should see it for real this century SHOCKING!

I spoke to a few people after they were in the same mind, suprising the team didnt get boood......

Firstly, it's Adkins.

Secondly, it's game 2.

Thirdly, we can invest because of the revenue received from TV money, not gate receipts.

Fourthly, don't panic.

Unbelievable. We have lost 2 games at the start of the Premier League. Two years ago we were in league 1. What is the worst that can happen ? We get relegated to the NPC with a bucket load of cash. What we should not do is blow our money on journey men and has beens. We can use our parachute money to rebuild next year taking our inspiration from WBA. We are obviously following their YOYO policy as I have said and not a bad idea as well.

Just leaving the ground. The worst performance I have seen since Leicester at home last year. Lethargic and no desire and hunger. We look tired! Controversial opinion but we should have signed a cb before now. Guly was terrible today. All the optimism from last week is disappearing...

Did you go to the game? I DIDNT THINK SO!

it's all very well giving your thoughts from the arm chair, you should see it for real this century SHOCKING!

I spoke to a few people after they were in the same mind, suprising the team didnt get boood......

You make a fair point. However, why would it be a disaster if we went down with a stack load of money. It would be a lot worse if we wasted the money on over inflated wages and transfer fees and still went down. I think the policy is to be prudent and see if the spirit of the team will see us through. IMO it is worth a shot and it has been obvious to see that this is the plan.

Just leaving the ground. The worst performance I have seen since Leicester at home last year. Lethargic and no desire and hunger. We look tired! Controversial opinion but we should have signed a cb before now. Guly was terrible today. All the optimism from last week is disappearing...

Agree with first 4 bits

I think we saw a lot of the ball today and at times had a little too much time and tried the complicated things instead of the simple option.

Home and away is a very different proposition in the prem and in some ways easier to play away more than home. We need to go 4 4 2 at home and have the two men up front the freedom of the 4 attacking players is not helping them they are all looking to pass it. Stick rickie and jay up front at home with lallana and guly / ano wide for them.

First sensible analytical post on this thread. Well done.

From watching the stream, I didn't think we were that bad. We hit the bar twice and their keeper was outstanding. We had most of the possession, but got too ponderous as the commentators said - need to move it quicker.

The areas everyone was worried about before the season are biting us in the arse now we're playing premiership teams.

I have a lot of respect for Guly and what he has done on our way up, but he looked a liability for large periods of the game today - much too slow allowing the defenders to get set and then take the ball. We do need Ramirez or Phillips, or both to give us more pace and ability to get in behind the defences.

Good as Fox is at delivering set pieces, his defending's not good enough and he never overlaps to deliver crosses from dangerous areas. Hope Shaw's ready to step up if we don't sign anyone else!

Fonte and Jos are going to concede needless goals every match in this league. We need a stronger pairing.

I'm not despondent, but I think there's still work to do in the transfer window to make sure we have a chance to being a strong enough team to survive in this league.

The result was disappointing, but some of the panic merchants are over reacting.

First half, we played quite well and created a couple of chances, with a Lallana shot being tipped onto the bar. Wigan always looked dangerous on the break and after they got the lead, they put loads of me behind the ball.

Their second goal came from a foul. There had been a similar incident about a minute earlier where Guly had nicked the ball off one of their players and the ref gave a Wigan free kick.

Rodriguez was anonymous and struggled to get into the game, made no impact. Hopefully, in a little time, he will adapt and fit in with the formation or the team will change to accommodate him.

The Guly bashing is an over-reaction in my view. He linked up well with Clyne in the first half and played some really good stuff. In the second half he got caught in possession a couple of times, but overall, I thought he did alright.

You didn't think guly was terrible?

First half he offered a threat with Clyne down right, second half he let his head drop but imo he was no worst than Jay Rod.

Worry for me was we were sluggish, second to most balls and i am not sure if it was because they were fitter, thought quicker or were just better.

This is my third time watching after promotion to top flight and biggest concern is that our best player, Lallana,is just ordinary in this division unlike Paine/Davies etc

"Welcome to the Premier League"

*I expect we'll see a few Skates on here this evening... not that they've got anything to laugh about

No Crabby not on hear to smirk at all, Said before start of the season Adkins not good enough, and courtesy needs to release most of the promotion money just to give you a chance. Got to be worth the gamble knowing next seasons prem money is up by 70%

First half he offered a threat with Clyne down right, second half he let his head drop but imo he was no worst than Jay Rod.

Worry for me was we were sluggish, second to most balls and i am not sure if it was because they were fitter, thought quicker or were just better.

This is my third time watching after promotion to top flight and biggest concern is that our best player, Lallana,is just ordinary in this division unlike Paine/Davies etc

Agree with all of that tbf. Rodriguez was totally anonymous.

No Crabby not on hear to smirk at all, Said before start of the season Adkins not good enough, and courtesy needs to release most of the promotion money just to give you a chance. Got to be worth the gamble knowing next seasons prem money is up by 70%

Pompey fan in "gambling money advice"... You sure about that Mack? ;)

We do need to be stronger though, so I agree. Good point about the Prem money.

Simply not good enough. One paced and lacking in invention, we didn't have enough in the locker to break them down and got punished at the other end.

Massive wake up call that the squad isn't good enough.

This. But the worry is that with a few days of the transfer window remaining, can we get the required level of players in and in the right positions? I just hope that Cortese wasn't perusaded by the argument that Norwich and Swansea stayed up with largely the team that won them promotion. Ok, so it worked for them; but a big risk to assume that will happen again. On another angle; Adkins's seemed slow at substitutions today. Rodriguez was having a shocker wide on the left but waited until 75 minutes to change it. Steep learning curves all round I suspect.

18 months ago the majority of this squad were League 1 players, and we were dreaming of today. We have become used to winning far more than we lose, we damn near went a complete calendar year without a defeat at SMS. Yes today was disappointing, especially after last week's efforts. But maybe we just froze a bit due to the occasion and found out to our cost that those slight errors that we have been getting away with for the last 3 seasons will be punished at this level. None of the teams at this level are going to roll over and let their tummies be tickled - let's hope that the players and coaches are making their way up the learning curve.

There's a long way to go, and que sera sera.

COYS !

18 months ago the majority of this squad were League 1 players, and we were dreaming of today. We have become used to winning far more than we lose, we damn near went a complete calendar year without a defeat at SMS. Yes today was disappointing, especially after last week's efforts. But maybe we just froze a bit due to the occasion and found out to our cost that those slight errors that we have been getting away with for the last 3 seasons will be punished at this level. None of the teams at this level are going to roll over and let their tummies be tickled - let's hope that the players and coaches are making their way up the learning curve.

There's a long way to go, and que sera sera.

COYS !

Our record in league one has no relevance to this season.

oh yeh and to top off the annoying result today, I seem to have this couple next to me now in the Northam (as my mate didn't renew and the person next to him didn't) and they were just cuddling and kissing all game, made me want to be sick. I pray to god they haven't got season tickets and they are just spare seats.

Hate to say it but Martinez won the tactical duel, knew exactly how to stop us doing anything and made sure our best passer in the midfield couldn't do anything.

Still early in the season, but we need more quality at the back and pace and quality out wide.

This, and maybe a bit more invention or drive in the midfield.

This is me, after a long time, jumping on the Guly bandwagon.

He was absolute rubbish. Gave the ball away too much, chickened out of a couple of challenges, and didn't put in a proper shift. I am shocked that he didn't get subbed.

I am also puzzled with Rodriguez. He is not a left midfielder. We spent £7m on a striker, we should use him there. To be honest we don't look that comfortable with our new formation, but hopefully that will improve.

I thought Wigan were the better side, but on another day we could have got a point. Their keeper was excellent.

Didn't go to the game - just listened to the boys on Solent.

Sounds like it was a disappointing and deserved loss. Going to happen. Just hope that this highlights the need for reinforcements.

Losing 0-2 to Wigan at home? I feel like a Saints fan again now.

Our record in league one has no relevance to this season.

It does as the fans have got used to winning, and therefore their view of how the team perform might be slanted because they aren't used to seeing us lose, especially at home. Similarly with the players, as a group they probably aren't used to having to graft and chase every week in the way experienced Premier teams will make them do.

Wow it's like the last seven years never happened. A long season ahead it would seem. At the end of the day these are the games we need to win to have any hope of staying up. Only have the radio to go on but the atmosphere SMS sounded flat as did the team. It's all very well being up for the big games, like last week, but these are the games that count and the ones were we really need to take to the opposition instead it sounded like we gave them an easy ride.