Southampton 0 - 2 Wigan - Post Match Reaction

Baj

Sounds like a direct quote from Adkins post match interview. That aside, why do you think Cortese has a padlock on his wallet?

Well we're still very short of new signings and you can't help but think due us being a bit tight with the cash. That said in today's market maybe we're right to do so. Lets hope we get some new blood to feature in the Utd game. Oh and Rooney is out for our game. One small bonus.

We never once made it to the by-line, Rodriguez is by no means a left winger and should be nowhere near there. Why the Guly hating again? Looked pretty threatening at times, and all this talk about him not "chasing back" is nonsense, but then the majority of fans love players who run at 100mph everywhere. We need a new CB and two proper wingers who can beat their man. Interesting week ahead...

Havent read this thread, but I thought we did very well in the first half. If we'd been 2-0 up at half time noone would have argued. But they came in at half time sorted themselves out and then did a professional job on us in the second half. Stupid error from Fonte cost us a chance of nicking a point in the dying minutes. We're not far from having a decent side but there is a lot of improving to be done tactically as well as quality wise.

For somebody who (1) we are willing to pay the asking price for, (2) whose current club is willing to accept our bid, and (3) who wants to come to SMS. Problem with Ramirez and Philips is that for the former it's at best 2 out of 3, and for the latter probably only 1 out of 3. Who the CB targets are is anybody's guess.

I didn't ask for an analysis of potential hurdles to jump in signing players - those are obvious and relate to any transfer deal...... I said 'what are we waiting for' !!

We never once made it to the by-line, Rodriguez is by no means a left winger and should be nowhere near there. Why the Guly hating again? Looked pretty threatening at times, and all this talk about him not "chasing back" is nonsense, but then the majority of fans love players who run at 100mph everywhere. We need a new CB and two proper wingers who can beat their man. Interesting week ahead...

That's Guly's "problem". He'll work well with an attacking full back who can get beyond him. He'll cut in well and keep things moving. But he absolutely won't be an attacking threat down the line, and therefore play gets condensed and predictable. The same on the other side with Rodriguez, and with Fox not able to commit as far forward. Compare it to swansea (who we're trying to emulate) and today they were superb with Routledge and Dyer on either side getting the ball, attacking the full backs and stretching play.

Obviously it is very early days, so it would be silly of me to write us off now. Wigan are a very good side, they haven't been in the Premier League for the time they have been without being good. However, if we want to stay up we need to beating beating teams like Wigan at home and that's no disrespect to them. I think fans of both teams are aware we will be in the bottom half come May.

On today's game, it probably wasn't as awful as some will make out. We have 4 or 5 solid chances and on a different day we could have come away with a couple of goals. But we didn't, and I think our main problem was down wings. There were too many balls lobbed into the box which didn't stand a chance. Guly isn't a winger, and Clyne was sort of having to play his role from defence.

Players of note. I thought Lallana was good, and looked dangerous at times and skillful, but I felt like he had to do it all himself sometimes and I feel if we want to see the Lallana we are used to, he will need higher quality players around him. Lambert can't be faulted, he needs service and he got none. Rodriguez seems to be playing out of position and to be honest I'm not sure this 4-2-3-1 formation gave us enough width today and Wigan won the midfield battle by the end of the match and so the game. Clyne was by far our best player, and looked extremely useful and reliable. Guly was okay, had some great touches at times and I feel like a lot that people were shouting at him about wasn't really his fault. We need another centre back. Fonte is still a question mark at this level for me and he is very one footed and the 2nd goal was just disastrous. I think Jos is much more steady at the back and I feel he is the better of the two CB, but I do think we need at least one more CB if at the very least to make sure there is competition for places. Fox looked underpar at times, and had some awful distribution at times, but I'm not sure if he was injured or not tbh.

On the whole though, not a disaster yet... it's game 2, but we have a lot of improving to do. I think a CB and an explosive winger could go a long way.

Just watched a bunch of donkeys watching a ball being kicked abou for an hour and a half. Shower of shoite, waste of money.

Sorry but I don't think I've been so disappointed watching Saints in my life. To think I was going to have 20 notes on us at 4-1. Glad I never

After last week I felt that the acid test would be whether we could defend well against teams like wigan. If you can't defend in football, you are finished.

For the life of me I can't understand how we have allowed ourselves to get to within a week of the window closing with no cover at CB, let alone improving in that department. Our defence last season was average for a promoted team......Jos and Fonte deserve a chance, but we are very vulnerable.

As we found out in 2005/05, a bad start is hard to recover from......

What we need is not a team that can adapt to the Premiership, but a fan base that can.

We're a decent footballing side who were undone today by another side who can play on their day under a decent manager.

If we finish 17th and pick up seven times the SKY money next season, that's good enough.

But we won't. We'll finish mid-table (10th-14th) because the manager and Chairman are not as idiotic as half of the fanbase, thank God...

We're in big trouble. Some of you saw this as a home banker.

I expect there is now no doubt whatsoever left in everyones mind about the hope that our CBs are up to this level.

The next week until the window shuts will go a long way to determine what league we are in next season.

We're in big trouble. Some of you saw this as a home banker.

I expect there is now no doubt whatsoever left in everyones mind about the hope that our CBs are up to this level.

The next week until the window shuts will go a long way to determine what league we are in next season.

If anyone sees any game as a home banker in the best league in world football, they need their heads examined.

What we need is not a team that can adapt to the Premiership, but a fan base that can.

We're a decent footballing side who were undone today by another side who can play on their day under a decent manager.

If we finish 17th and pick up seven times the SKY money next season, that's good enough.

But we won't. We'll finish mid-table (10th-14th) because the manager and Chairman are not as idiotic as half of the fanbase, thank God...

First "it's all the fans fault" post of the season.

Brilliant.

Reasonable first half very cautious by saints Very poor second half out fought and out passed by wigan. As soon as we started to chase the game we lost all discipline and pattern looked very poor. 2nd goal of a poor defensive error just capped a poor day. Must improve and we need new blood and some pace.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

First "it's all the fans fault" post of the season.

Brilliant.

It's true. We're used to winning. Now we're going to lose more often. At least for a while. You'd think people might have prepared themselves for it... Swansea were hammered on the opening day last season and now sit top of the league. They won't be there all season, but that's PROGRESS...

Only reflecting the comments that were made.

Yes you are right most thought it was winnable but with the squad currently assembled we are going to have great difficulty winning many in the next few weeks

There seems to have been little planning over the last year to get a reasonable PL squad together got to the PL by luck not sure where we will end up doubt it will be in Europe

It's true. We're used to winning. Now we're going to lose more often. At least for a while. You'd think people might have prepared themselves for it... Swansea were hammered on the opening day last season and now sit top of the league. They won't be there all season, but that's PROGRESS...

Funny they haven't done it by buying Carlos Tevez or Michael Owen though....

We don't win so people blame Guly. Haha. Well done.

Today proved that Premiership teams are more clinical and that when you lose possession you don't get it back for 3 minutes.

I thought we started well but faded and Wigan mostly took us out the game in the second half. Oh well.

We don't win so people blame Guly. Haha. Well done.

Today proved that Premiership teams are more clinical and that when you lose possession you don't get it back for 3 minutes.

I thought we started well but faded and Wigan mostly took us out the game in the second half. Oh well.

Idiotic response. Last week some utter cretin abused guly on here and was roundly criticized. I said that I thought guly played really well. This week I think guly was very poor along with some others and deserving of criticism.

What troubles me most is that we already look very predictable in a league that punishes predictability.

Two games in and a) an angled ball through our central two has cost two goals and a penalty (Fox saved another today with a great tackle), b) Kelvin is there for the taking on the near post, and c) we'll build slowly and we won't get a team backpedalling with a quick pass out (the freaky breakout against City excepted). There are others.

I'm certainly not downhearted but we have a lot of learning to do in a short period.

Well we're still very short of new signings and you can't help but think due us being a bit tight with the cash. That said in today's market maybe we're right to do so. Lets hope we get some new blood to feature in the Utd game. Oh and Rooney is out for our game. One small bonus.

I think we have allegedly bid good money for certain players - wait until the end of the window and judge it then.

I thought we stated brightly enough and might even had been the better team for a while, Lallana forcing a top class save from El Habsi, but after about 35 minutes or so we ran out of ideas and the game became pretty even. The second half had hardly got started and our sleepy defence was undone by a quick Wigan goal that Kelvin had no chance with. One goal down with plenty of time on the clock you'd think the home team would push on for a equalizer - you'd have thought that would happen but it didn't really. We had nothing left to offer as Wigan had by now figured us out, nullified Lambert, and started to outplay our midfield.

Any possibility of our team getting back into the game was not increased by the managers inert reaction to going behind. When we did eventually get subs on (too late IMO) the selection of young JWP for Steve Davis didn't seem likely to change the pattern of the game - and sure enough it didn't. I'm no great fan of Jason Puncheon to put it mildly, but he might just have made a difference to this game. So early days but a VERY depressing result in truth. Looking at the fixture list it's anyone guess when we get our first points this season.

Three Good.

Lallana - Had a decent game in the middle today I thought. Probably better employed on the left however.

Steve Davis - Good tidy player that will doubtless prove to be a decent addition to our midfield.

Clyne - Has a lot left to learn about defending, but will develop into a proper PL player before long methinks.

Three Bad.

Fonte - Utterly out of depth today. Poor defensibly, dismal in his distribution, wasteful going forward.

Guly - Well people keep telling me how wonderful he is. My view is he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11

Rodriguez - A striker being asked (unsuccessfully) to play out wide. Sort it out NA !

So Phillips, Ramirez and a couple of centre backs and everything will be rosey then?
I very much doubt it. It's more of the same tactics and too late substitutions like during last seasons hiccup. 2 games people say, but I didn't see any wins beyond the tour game in pre season. We've plenty of strikers but not scoring the goals, have a dodgy goalkeeper who'll leave the defense nervous and shaky. :(

What troubles me most is that we already look very predictable in a league that punishes predictability.

Two games in and a) an angled ball through our central two has cost two goals and a penalty (Fox saved another today with a great tackle), b) Kelvin is there for the taking on the near post, and c) we'll build slowly and we won't get a team backpedalling with a quick pass out (the freaky breakout against City excepted). There are others.

I'm certainly not downhearted but we have a lot of learning to do in a short period.

True and kind off agree - and its why we scored againsts City, because we broke quickly and in numbers and were 'unpredictable' feck it surprized me! Think many have said that we have the foundations there for a good side, but need to add a bit of sparkle/magic fairy dust etc and become a little smarter in the final third - but guess that is why we were after Ramirez....

Three Bad.

Fonte - Utterly out of depth today. Poor defensibly, dismal in his distribution, wasteful going forward.

Guly - Well people keep telling me how wonderful he is. My view is he shouldn't be anywhere near our starting 11

Rodriguez - A striker being asked (unsuccessfully) to play out wide. Sort it out NA !

Oh dear, someone else who doesn't watch the game but just trots out what may be a popular remark. I agree with you on Fonte and Rod, although to be fair Fonte made one awful mistake, otherwise was not troubled by the worst attack in the PL). Guly, though was probably contender for best player on our side today, along with Lallana and Morgan. Everyone else (possibly except Jos and Clyne) was total pants. Not saying Guly was world-beating, but in terms of today's game along with AL he was the only one who you felt might make something happen. Very, very poor performance all round today, no fight, no spirit, no pace, no ideas.

If anyone sees any game as a home banker in the best league in world football, they need their heads examined.

If Wigan were representative of "the best league in the world" then I'm a Martian. They were utterly appalling, we played much better teams in L1. The difference was we were even worse. This would have been a home banker if we had 11 players on the pitch who wanted to win and were up for it.

If Wigan were representative of "the best league in the world" then I'm a Martian. They were utterly appalling, we played much better teams in L1. The difference was we were even worse. This would have been a home banker if we had 11 players on the pitch who wanted to win and were up for it.

Laughable. At no point did we play better teams in league one. They weren't great but they made us look very bad in the second half.

Oh dear, someone else who doesn't watch the game but just trots out what may be a popular remark. I agree with you on Fonte and Rod, although to be fair Fonte made one awful mistake, otherwise was not troubled by the worst attack in the PL). Guly, though was probably contender for best player on our side today, along with Lallana and Morgan. Everyone else (possibly except Jos and Clyne) was total pants. Not saying Guly was world-beating, but in terms of today's game along with AL he was the only one who you felt might make something happen. Very, very poor performance all round today, no fight, no spirit, no pace, no ideas.

I wish Guly was our only problem because that could be sorted easily enough. We didn't lose today solely because of any one player, but put simply Guly is very clearly not a Premier League player. Overhearing other fans comments on the way out I can assure you I'm not the only fan who holds this view - far from it.

Welcome to the Premier. We were not too bad in the first half, getting in quickly to the loose ball and having good possession. Lallana had his moments but nothing sustained from the team to warrant a winning threat. Wigan soaked up the pressure, then pressed the ball just that little bit more in the second half and we just wilted away. Wigan are nothing special but I doubt any Premier team playing that style against us will have problems. Against a team playing primarily defensively and without the pace to open their door, you just run out of ideas after a while and in effect we just gave in. If Saints had played in the same manner as Wigan we could easily have got a draw from the game. The trouble is going out against Wigan at home playing for a draw will never be acceptable to anyone, but that is the position we are in. If this had been the NPC, it's more than possible we could have got a win from that first half performance. I still can't believe Davis rooted himself in that position for the second goal (although not affecting the result). I don't know how much easier he could have made it for the forward.

We have tried to create more by giving Lallana a free role but all that does is to underline where the threat is and the lack of pace to give their back line any head aches. We all knew from last season the lack of pace would give us problems and the only solution is to commit bodies forward to give that back line the head ache. We showed we could do this effectively with our second goal against ManC. Try that against a lowly team like Wigan soon shows you the futility when they are set up defensively.

Our pass and move football is just not good enough for the Premier and we will get picked off consistently. We need to bring teams onto us and blunt them to stand a chance with what we have at present, hoping for something in the second half. We have too many players that don't have the pace to make the difference in the Premier and we have to start selecting the team accordingly. The only real pace we have is Clyne, but Wigan saw that one coming. It's going to be an interesting season and will take all this on the chin in the knowledge we will advance sometime in the future, even with the step backs.

Luckily both Adkins and Cortese can see the writing on the wall and have time enough to do something. Just one creative and one for pace and that team will be more than good enough to support them.

So you agree with his comments but suddenly decide he is making it up about guly. You do realise it is not wrong to have a negative opinion about guly?

I agree it seems you were watching the game unlike the usual critics.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Our whole game was just slow and predictable. Lallana's shot which got tipped onto the bar was about as close as we got. Lambert and Guly both had a good effort on target but they were from too far out and will very rarely beat a Premier League keeper.

Rodriguez wasn't the only player playing in an awkward position. None of the three central midfielders took a hold of the game and dictated play. That's supposed to be the point of having three in the middle, you run the midfield, but we didn't. Lambert had three Wigan defenders around him most of the time and no Saints players within 20 yards.

You need proper wide players for this formation to work too. People who can run at the full backs, stretch the play and make space in the middle for Lambert and the three central midfielders. Neither Guly nor Rod fit the bill at all. One paced, predictable and never tried to get to the line.

I'd go with Lallana and De Ridder out wide based on our current selection. De Ridder has his faults but he would at least run at them and stretch the opposition a bit. Tell me I'm wrong and SDR is crap if you want but doing what we did today isn't going to get us anywhere.

Having said that I'm still upbeat. We've got the talent in the squad, a good manager and a chairman with ambition and money to back it up. We will come good in the end. Up the Saints!!!!

I very much doubt they will be the worst team we will see.

Matinez sides are well drilled and organized, hence why his name was linked with the big vacant jobs during the summer.

442 at home next time please though.

What, the 4-4-2 that totally ended the game for us today? Once we switched to 4-4-2 we didn't have a scooby what we were doing.

Keep the formation as it is because it is fluid, easy on the eye and is the way forward long-term - but add a bit more penetration and ''nous'' down the flanks and we'd have more luck.

What, the 4-4-2 that totally ended the game for us today? Once we switched to 4-4-2 we didn't have a scooby what we were doing.

Keep the formation as it is because it is fluid, easy on the eye and is the way forward long-term - but add a bit more penetration and ''nous'' down the flanks and we'd have more luck.

Fair point, but I`d rather see Jrod up front with Ricky, think he`s wasted on the wing.