Sorry But We Will Get Relegated !

Smalls

Well at least we'll have got there by lack of talent, rather than lackof signings. We need at least a fighting chance first, if we can't compete after that, well then questions will obviously be asked and decisions made on the back of that.

like you, if we don't AT LEAST bring in a wide player (with pace) and a CB who both could start in the team from the off...I will be very disappointed really.....that is the very least and think that is all we will get...which IMO, will give us a fair crack till january anyway

Last season, Blackpool 'hit the ground running' in the Premiership and were in the top half for the first third of the season, flirting with European places. Where are they now?

And where are QPR and Wigan?

Last season Blackpool were playing us in the Championship.

But besides that, what are you saying, it's better to start badly?

When Hull stayed up they got off to a flyer which gave them enough points to keep them up.

What about teams that start badly like Derby or Watford and then still go down?

We're two games in and there is too much knee jerk nonsense going on. But people saying "Phew, at least we didn't get off to a flyer, that means certain relegation" is equally as dopey as any of the more routine wrist slitting.

I saw far more to concern me than console me I'm afraid.

Square pegs in round holes designed for a system that we don't have the players for & a CB pairing that is far too weak at this level not to mention a LB that has already been found seriously wanting.

I looked towards the bench & thought how/what do we change and the cupboard was bare.

This week is crucial to our season. Not bothered by the results in the next two matches but we must bring in pace, guile & strength in key positions or we are going to be in serious trouble.

This is exactly how I saw it. The manager has identified the positions he wants to recruit it but I find it very strange we are playing a system now designed for players we don't have. Neither of our centre backs are up to it either. People will say its only two games but this team and squad is no where near good enough or strong enough to stay up.

If this comes about DD, I would expect Adkins to be fired, a new manager appointed and a budget for new players allocated. Cortese does not countenance failure. And that's what gives me faith above all else.

Adkins has identified the players and positions he wants to improve, yet this hasn't been done, yet. Maybe Cortese will need to look in the mirror before firing anyone for faliure.

Adkins has identified the players and positions he wants to improve, yet this hasn't been done, yet. Maybe Cortese will need to look in the mirror before firing anyone for faliure.

well, most managers will want more players...its what they do..

lets say we sign a wide player and a CB this week....that would mean we would have brought in 5 starters....more than many that have come up in the last two years....and would say pretty much enough to give us a chance till jan

I saw far more to concern me than console me I'm afraid.

Square pegs in round holes designed for a system that we don't have the players for & a CB pairing that is far too weak at this level not to mention a LB that has already been found seriously wanting.

I looked towards the bench & thought how/what do we change and the cupboard was bare.

This week is crucial to our season. Not bothered by the results in the next two matches but we must bring in pace, guile & strength in key positions or we are going to be in serious trouble.

You didn't watch us last week outpace the Champions on half a dozen occasions at the back then?

Both the first and second goals came on the break - something I didn't expect to see from this side.

I'm not saying everything is perfect and we should relax - this is a learning curve for our entire squad and manager. But J-Rod has pace (he showed it last week), Chung has pace, Rickie doesn't need it because his positioining is outstanding. Clyne looks pacy and classy - I agree Fox is a weak link (although by no means the worst left back in the Premiership) but then our numbr 3 shirt is unattributed... Morgan looks up to this standard, as does Lallana, as does Guly (no matter what people say about his laziness). As does Davis. As, to be fair, after two games does JWP.

I'm cheesed off we didn't beat Wigan. I thought we bossed the first half and they were there for the taking. Second half we were sloppy and maybe too complacent. And it cost us dearly.

But I'm not going to lose sleep because if there is one thing the management of this football club have shown it's that they have a vision and will implement it without a second thought to the 'fan-consequences' (sacking Pardew)...

Last season Blackpool were playing us in the Championship.

But besides that, what are you saying, it's better to start badly?

When Hull stayed up they got off to a flyer which gave them enough points to keep them up.

What about teams that start badly like Derby or Watford and then still go down?

We're two games in and there is too much knee jerk nonsense going on. But people saying "Phew, at least we didn't get off to a flyer, that means certain relegation" is equally as dopey as any of the more routine wrist slitting.

Re-read my post. Take a deep breath and the decide if that's what I said...

well, most managers will want more players...its what they do..

lets say we sign a wide player and a CB this week....that would mean we would have brought in 5 starters....more than many that have come up in the last two years....and would say pretty much enough to give us a chance till jan

Our benchmark that we are always comparing ourselves to, Norwich and Swansea brought in 7 and 8 I believe. If a manager identifies the positions he wants to improve and this is agreed, as it seems to be giving our pursuit of left backs, centre backs and wingers this window then it's not just the manager who has failed is it?

Ah, apologies. I forgot half of this board were privvy to our transfer policy and player strategy. I'll butt out...

Don't you listen to or read Adkins interviews? He's said on several occasions he wants one if not two CB's and we've been actively chasing wingers and almost signed a left back. Why would we do this if we didn't want or need them?Not difficult is it.

Our benchmark that we are always comparing ourselves to, Norwich and Swansea brought in 7 and 8 I believe. If a manager identifies the positions he wants to improve and this is agreed, as it seems to be giving our pursuit of left backs, centre backs and wingers this window then it's not just the manager who has failed is it?

indeed they brought in 7 or 8....but how many of them were regular starters (i don't know myself).....

if at the start of the season we were told by the close of the window we would have brought in 5 players that will be starting nearly week in week out...I would have been happy with that...given the positions they SHOULD be in....a RB, CB, CM, WINGER, FORWARD....pretty much what we all though

now, if we don't sign a CB and a wide player with pace who could both start from the off, then I will be very disspoointed with the club..after all the crap about europe etc

indeed they brought in 7 or 8....but how many of them were regular starters (i don't know myself).....

if at the start of the season we were told by the close of the window we would have brought in 5 players that will be starting nearly week in week out...I would have been happy with that...given the positions they SHOULD be in....a RB, CB, CM, WINGER, FORWARD....pretty much what we all though

now, if we don't sign a CB and a wide player with pace who could both start from the off, then I will be very disspoointed with the club..after all the crap about europe etc

No idea, but they undoubtedly strengthened the squad. Seaborne and a couple of 17 year old on the bench tells you our squad isn't strong enough either.

Don't you listen to or read Adkins interviews? He's said on several occasions he wants one if not two CB's and we've been actively chasing wingers and almost signed a left back. Not difficult is it.

Ah yes, here it is...

"I've been desperate to bring in two new Centre Backs, a left back and a left winger, but the Chairman is refusing to put up the cash for the players we need. What I really need to succeed in this league is a Chairman who appreciates the urgency of the players we are lacking and backs me to the hilt. So far, Nicola Cortese has blocked a handful of potential targets, refused to meet the scandalous wage demands and rejected four of my five new player requests..."

We heard this total cobblers about our transfer strategy EVERY close season for the past three years. Hasn't done us too much harm to date. Who knows, maybe this is the year the Chairman will fail...

No idea, but they undoubtedly strengthened the squad. Seaborne and a couple of 17 year old on the bench tells you our squad isn't strong enough either.

agree....but like I said, if we sign AT LEAST a CB and a wide player that will mean what...6 players..5 of which would be seen as regulars..?

not too bad really......

One thing has changed you haven't put a subtle dig at Cortese or how the club is run into one of your posts.

Well I tell it how I see it and who can complain as to what has gone on in the last two years. I really don't care who runs our club as long as we are doing well. Believe it or not politics is 2nd to football.

Ah yes, here it is...

"I've been desperate to bring in two new Centre Backs, a left back and a left winger, but the Chairman is refusing to put up the cash for the players we need. What I really need to succeed in this league is a Chairman who appreciates the urgency of the players we are lacking and backs me to the hilt. So far, Nicola Cortese has blocked a handful of potential targets, refused to meet the scandalous wage demands and rejected four of my five new player requests..."

We heard this total cobblers about our transfer strategy EVERY close season for the past three years. Hasn't done us too much harm to date. Who knows, maybe this is the year the Chairman will fail...

Okay, let me it it another way as your making up quotes now as your clearly struggling. So I'll make it easy for you.

if a manager and chairman agree on a list of targets and positions that need strengthening and then for whatever reason these positions are not strengthened then faliure is a collective reponsibility or is it all the fault of the manager who has had to make do with what he has?

Ah yes, here it is...

What are you on about?

Adkins has previously said he wanted to bring in "1 or 2 goalkeepers and 1 or 2 centre backs". His words, published in print. We were obviously interested in at least 1 winger, perhaps 2. And a left back also. That's potentially 7 positions we were looking to fill, and we haven't done it yet.

No-one is saying how or why that hasn't happened. Simply that it hasn't happened, yet, and therefore the manager doesn't yet have the resources he and his transfer committee have identified as being necessary to compete.

What are you on about?

Adkins has previously said he wanted to bring in "1 or 2 goalkeepers and 1 or 2 centre backs". His words, published in print. We were obviously interested in at least 1 winger, perhaps 2. And a left back also. That's potentially 7 positions we were looking to fill, and we haven't done it yet.

No-one is saying who or why that hasn't happened. Simply that it hasn't happened, yet.

maybe he feels or think he now no longer needs a new LB..?

What are you on about?

No-one is saying who or why that hasn't happened. Simply that it hasn't happened, yet.

He's making up quotes because I dared to say that if they have agreed on targets and positions to strengthen and it doesn't happens then if we struggle Cortese is partly culpable. That sort of talk isn't welcome on here.

So we lost to the reigning champions Manchester City away... and had a bad day at the office yesterday. It's not as if Saints are renowned for their good start to a season btw!

Man United next - then Arsenal. It doesn't get any easier, that's for sure.

But there are several days of the transfer window left - and I'm pretty sure we will do some sterling business with the time left. Cortese & Adkins haven't let us done yet - and I'm

sure they won't now. Yesterday was very disappointing agreed, but now is hardly the time for such mass negative outpourings - not after just two games, surely?

Okay, let me it it another way as your making up quotes now as your clearly struggling. So I'll make it easy for you.

if a manager and chairman agree on a list of targets and positions that need strengthening and then for whatever reason these positions are not strengthened then faliure is a collective reponsibility or is it all the fault of the manager who has had to make do with what he has?

No, I think we agree here. If the manager identifies a position that needs to be filled and it isn't, then it's a collective failure.

Back to why we got into this debate which is what would happen if we were bottom at Christmas, and I think Cortese would fire Adkins.

Does that make it right if they collectivelty failed to recruit the right personnel? No. But I have rarely seen a Chairman share the failure on the pitch...

Okay let's forget about the left back for your argument. Still 6 positions to strengthen in addition to the 4 we've already made.

well, not many managers get EVERYTHING they want...for sure.

bet just resign ourselves to the getting in a CB and a wide player (at least)...

Jeez what a bunch of bed wetters. The Premier League is tough always has been with some hard to take results. I'll just pick some results we endured in seasons where we didnt get relegated that stick in the mind. Losing 7-0 away to an average Everton (if I remember correctly we stuffed Boro 4-0 the following week) , 3-0 up at home against Ipswich we drew 3-3, losing 2-0 at home to a poor Blackburn. There are many more.

We may stay up we may get relegated but the Premier League is what we have strived for. Enjoy the ride.

Wasn't it 7-1 ? :)

None of us on here can say what is happening behind the scenes. It does appear that Adkins wants to bring in players and so far Cortese has failed to do it.

But for all we know Adkins might have told Cortese that the current squad are definitely good enough to keep us up.

None of us on here can say what is happening behind the scenes. It does appear that Adkins wants to bring in players and so far Cortese has failed to do it.

But for all we know Adkins might have told Cortese that the current squad are definitely good enough to keep us up.

How dare you suggest we don't know the player strategy and transfer policy. Down negative man...

No, I think we agree here. If the manager identifies a position that needs to be filled and it isn't, then it's a collective failure.

Back to why we got into this debate which is what would happen if we were bottom at Christmas, and I think Cortese would fire Adkins.

Does that make it right if they collectivelty failed to recruit the right personnel? No. But I have rarely seen a Chairman share the failure on the pitch...

Exactly my point though. If he doesn't bring in the players in the positions they've discussed then he needs to look in the mirror as well.

Adkins has already made public some of the targets we're looking at. We're also obviously working behind the scenes to bring in other positions (Ramirez and Buttner deals). So I don't think anyone is suggesting that nothing is being done. Simply that there has so far been a collective failure to get deals done in time for the start of the season, which was one of Adkins' stated objectives.

Exactly my point though. If he doesn't bring in the players in the positions they've discussed then he needs to look in the mirror as well.

why.....what if we simply do not have the money to do so...to bring 8/9 players of the quality you want...

if replacing half of the first team is not enough till jan then I don't know what is

How dare you suggest we don't know the player strategy and transfer policy. Down negative man...

Why do you keep going on about that? It's pretty f*cking obvious what positions we want to sign players in. we've been in negotiations for two wingers, almost signed a left back and Adkins has said he wants at least one centre half. Go n, make up another quote!

why.....what if we simply do not have the money to do so...to bring 8/9 players of the quality you want...

if replacing half of the first team is not enough till jan then I don't know what is

Who said what I want? The manager has said what he wants, it doesn't matter what I, you or anyone else wants. If we don't have the money then why bid for the players? £12m for Ramirez, £5-6m for Phillips, French press saying £8m for the defender.

who knows...but we are bordering on replacing literally the whole first team

I am just saying 2 more starters would be 5 new starters...half of the team will be new..not manager managers will get that at any level

That is true, but lets not forget we only made 4 signings last summer, 3 of whom were first team choices. And lost 1 first teamer in the Ox. We supplemented that with 2 strikers in the January window, but neither would replace RL. So we still have the bones of a former league 1 team and need to do some catching up pretty quickly.

But he won't, will he?

And why would you assume that he won't back his manager when he has clearly done so over the past two seasons?

The positions they have discussed maybe totally different to those we imagine they need - regardless of what he says in public. He might be motiviating his current reserves? He might be throwing other managers off the scent? He may be playing to agents?

Who said what I want? The manager has said what he wants, it doesn't matter what I, you or anyone else wants.

every manager wants more than they can have.....even mancini is moaning like fuk about the lack of players...arry is always down to the bare bones etc...they always want more.....its a toughie but IMO...(regardless of what is said in the press to the fans)...with the team that was top 2 all last season and played some excellent stuff...having 5 new starters (at least) i kney positions should be enough to see us till january with a good chance of staying up..even with the obvious expectation of being bottom after 4 games

But he won't, will he?

And why would you assume that he won't back his manager when he has clearly done so over the past two seasons?

The positions they have discussed maybe totally different to those we imagine they need - regardless of what he says in public. He might be motiviating his current reserves? He might be throwing other managers off the scent? He may be playing to agents?

So we've bid for Buttner, PHillips and been negotiating with Bologna for over a week for Ramirez to motivate Puncheon and Shaw and to throw other managers off the scent have we?!

Go on, make up another quote that tells us that Adkins and Cortese are doing this!

Adkins has already made public some of the targets we're looking at. We're also obviously working behind the scenes to bring in other positions (Ramirez and Buttner deals). So I don't think anyone is suggesting that nothing is being done. Simply that there has so far been a collective failure to get deals done in time for the start of the season, which was one of Adkins' stated objectives.

It all depends on the relationship between manager and chairman. If Adkins said we need x amount of new players before the start of the season or we're f*cked then the blame lies solely with Cortese in failing to deliver.

If Adkins said the side is more than good enough to stay up but we could do with x or y to improve the squad, no hurry Don. Then Adkins has to take the blame if we don't perform.

Like I said, none of us on here are in a position to say.

Why do you keep going on about that? It's pretty f*cking obvious what positions we want to sign players in. we've been in negotiations for two wingers, almost signed a left back and Adkins has said he wants at least one centre half. Go n, make up another quote!

When did we know about Clyne signing? Why do you believe everything you read? If we're in for this Italian, why do you assume that is the only player we are in for in that position?

Why is your assumption that you know more about the player strategy and transfer activity than the current manager and Chairman and that Adkins isn't happy about what's going on?

I made up a quote to demonstrate how ridiculous all your assertions are. But I see I am wasting my time...

every manager wants more than they can have.....even mancini is moaning like fuk about the lack of players...arry is always down to the bare bones etc...they always want more.....its a toughie but IMO...(regardless of what is said in the press to the fans)...with the team that was top 2 all last season and played some excellent stuff...having 5 new starters (at least) i kney positions should be enough to see us till january with a good chance of staying up..even with the obvious expectation of being bottom after 4 games

Maybe it should be, but Adkins clearly doesn't think so and obviously Cortese and the recruitment department whoever that is doesn't otherwise we wouldn't be making bids.

So we've bid for Buttner, PHillips and been negotiating with Bologna for over a week for Ramirez to motivate Puncheon and Shaw and to throw other managers off the scent have we?!

Go on, make up another quote that tells us that Adkins and Cortese are doing this!

I think you should give up your sbscription to the Daily Sport. They never did find a bus on the moon you know. Or Elvis...

NA has stated his desire to bring 2xCB, wingers, LB etc. It's on the record, so it's hardly a case of knowing the ins & outs of the clubs transfer policy.

Why are folk so determined to ignore those facts? Are they too scared to recognise that we have issues to address?

No, we're (well I) am bemused that we think the club aren't doing anything about. That would be idiotic. And have the Chairman or Manager at any stage given any impression they don't know how to run a football club?

It all depends on the relationship between manager and chairman. If Adkins said we need x amount of new players before the start of the season or we're f*cked then the blame lies solely with Cortese in failing to deliver.

If Adkins said the side is more than good enough to stay up but we could do with x or y to improve the squad, no hurry Don. Then Adkins has to take the blame if we don't perform.

Like I said, none of us on here are in a position to say.

No, but we can judge by what the manager actually says. Which was that he wanted 1 or 2 GKs and 1 or 2 CBs and before the season started. That didnt happen, the goalposts have now moved and he says he wants them before the end of the transfer window.

No, we're (well I) am bemused that we think the club aren't doing anything about. That would be idiotic. And have the Chairman or Manager at any stage given any impression they don't know how to run a football club?

No-one has said that, have they? The club are clearly doing things to bring in players, but so far they've been unsuccessful in certain key areas that they themselves identified needed filling by the start of the season.