Sorry But We Will Get Relegated !

Smalls

When did we know about Clyne signing? Why do you believe everything you read? If we're in for this Italian, why do you assume that is the only player we are in for in that position?

Why is your assumption that you know more about the player strategy and transfer activity than the current manager and Chairman and that Adkins isn't happy about what's going on?

I made up a quote to demonstrate how ridiculous all your assertions are. But I see I am wasting my time...

I knew about it 6 weeks before it happened, I posted it on here and then a few days before it happened. Thanks all the same.

If Adkins was happy whys is he on record of saying he wants to strengthen? Why are we bidding for players? Why say we will have players in before the Man City game and before the end of the window? Why not just say

"we've got an amazing squad, easily good enough for the premier league, I'm happy with everything that is going on. The chairman is brilliant and delivered everything he promised, I'm delighted, ecstatic in fact and all these bids we are making are just to throw other clubs off the scent and motivate Jason Pucheon"

Isn't this making up quotes fun.....

He doesn't have a point. He's angry, we lost.

We lost, I'm old enough not to care yet.

He wants to put it right now.

I know as long as we put it right we'll be ok.

I'm not angry, not at all. It's you resorting to stupid comments and making up quotes.

Edited by Turkish

I knew about it 6 weeks before it happened, I posted it on here and then a few days before it happened. Thanks all the same.

If Adkins was happy was is he on record of saying he wants to strengthen? Why are we bidding for players? Why say we will have players in before the Man City game and before the end of the window? Why not just say

"we've got an amazing squad, easily good enough for the premier league, I'm happy with everything that is going on. The chairman is brilliant and delivered everything he promised, I'm delighted, ecstatic in fact and all these bids we are making are just to throw other clubs off the scent and motivate Jason Pucheon"

Isn't this making up quotes fun.....

So you know for a fact that Adkins is unhappy?

So you know for a fact that Adkins is unhappy?

Who said anything about that? What he's said on several occasions is he wants to strengthen In certain positions and will do this. why say this if you don't? Other than to motivate Dan Seaborne of course.

None of us on here can say what is happening behind the scenes. It does appear that Adkins wants to bring in players and so far Cortese has failed to do it.

But for all we know Adkins might have told Cortese that the current squad are definitely good enough to keep us up.

If this is really the final squad then we are going straight back down tbh

Who said anything about that? What he's said on several occasions is he wants to strengthen In certain positions and will do this. why say this if you don't? Other than to motivate Dan Seaborne of course.

You said yourself, 'If Adkins was happy'...

So he's unhappy?

I agree the club clearly wants to strengthen - but we don't know what the discussions between Manager and Chairman have been. Whether they have agreed the current squad is good enough to stay up but not challenge? Whether Ramirez is the difference between 14th and 10th? And so on. You take everything said as being all that is being said... We know for a fact how the media works. Quotes made for the benefit of fans, agents, players, the Chairman, the press...

As an aside, after West Brom beat Liverpool, Steve Clarke said "Liverpool are a top team, they will be challenging. When Kenny and I left last season we thought they would be top four this season"

Do you really think Steve Clarke believes that? Really???!! Or is he saying "Fans, we've beaten a poor Liverpool but I want you to think it's a huge achievement. John Henry, you were wrong to fire Kenny and me. Brendan, see how you like it managing in a pressure cooker..."

I don't know, but I reckon Steve Clarke is no-one's fool.

This disussion started with me saying that if we were bottom at Christmas Adkins will be fired. You said the Chairman would need to share the blame if they didn't sign the players the manager identified as being needed. I agree. He won't (Chairman never do). But on this we agree 100%.

So what exactly is your point?

Two games in is too late to sign these players?

The Chairman is not backing the manager?

The manager is not looking for the right players?

You are concerned we will not sign them? Not sign them soon enough?

If we don's sign them we will be relegated? Or just not achieve as well as we should/could with those players?

What is it?? Genuinely. I am not interested in some of the other mugs on here, but in your opinion, for now, I am!

Okay okay I get it. So when Adkins said he wanted to sign at least one centre back he didn't really mean it, he was just saying it just keep the fans happy, right? So if we dnt sign one everyone will be delighted because we'll have a super motivated Dan Seaborne chomping at the bit to step in. Job done.

no one knows we want to sign a winger Because despite the fact we've bid for at least two in the last week we don't know of any conversations that have gone on between the manager and chairman.

Whilst we're on the subject of managers taking boll*cks to keep people happy, all this talk of Europe and ambition must be a load of horse sh*t as well then?

Okay okay I get it. So when Adkins said he wanted to sign at least one centre back he didn't really mean it, he was just saying it just keep the fans happy, right? So if we dnt sign one everyone will be delighted because we'll have a super motivated Dan Seaborne chomping at the bit to step in. Job done.

no one knows we want to sign a winger Because despite the fact we've bid for at least two in the last week we don't know of any conversations that have gone on between the manager and chairman.

Whilst we're on the subject of managers taking boll*cks to keep people happy, all this talk of Europe and ambition must be a load of horse sh*t as well then?

fair enough

so, when the window closes and nigel states (when asked) that he is happy with the business done....that will be that..?

I think I agree with the gist of that, but I'm not sure. Could you provide some fictional quotes from various Saints-related personnel to make it a bit clearer?

We might get relegated, we might not.

The only thing which is certain is that none of the football geniuses on this forum are able to tell after 2 games. Swansea didn't score a single goal until October last season!

2 games in and the whinging and moaning has already commenced. Wouldn't have expected anything less.

When we got relegated in 2005 it was absolutely gutting and took me weeks to get accustomed to it, I enjoyed the last 2 seasons immensely, went to some great grounds and met some great fans.

If we go down again this time I certainly wouldn't be that bothered....why....because we are nowhere near being ready to compete in this league.

Last week when you watch the replays City could of been out of sight, we played well but had nothing to lose yet got beaten by terrible defending.

Yesterday we got shown up at times by Wigan who we couldn't get near the ball for about ten minutes.

Every fan knows our defence and pace was our problem...we sign a £6m striker yet play him left wing like a fish on a bike.

I thought at times we looked ok but unless this week we recruit 2 decent defenders and a pacey winger we will see loads of games like yesterday. We had all of pre-season....we have 5 days left.

So at the moment you are right but the management have the opportunity to stop that and wasting weeks chasing average S Americans hasn't helped us in the slightest.

Good post. We are 2 years of building the team in a financially sustainable manner. I don't think that getting into the Premiership earlier than ready has changed our timeplan. Rather, the Premier money will be an unexpected bonus. No, relegation will be anything but a disaster because we have a long term plan. We are going for the WBA 'YOYO' model.

the 1x LB, another keeper, 2x CB, wide player etc and if he does not get those then NC has failed him...

He's on record says at least one centre back, one if not two keepers (weve got one) and we are bidding for wingers and have bid for a left back. If we get less than half of those this week, then yes, NC will have failed.

I never said that. If we don't get at least three (hoping for four) players in by this time next week then we have failed somewhere along the line IMO.

I hope for 3 maybe 4....i expect at least 1 x CB and 1 x wide player (with pace) who can come in to the first team from the off...if not, then OH DEAR imo

He's on record says at least one centre back, one if not two keepers (weve got one) and we are bidding for wingers and have bid for a left back. If we get less than half of those this week, then yes, NC will have failed.

why if NA is side happy with the LB situation...what if there is only a certain amount of £££ and he/the club have decided we can only get 3 players of quality with that money..?

I hope for 3 maybe 4....i expect at least 1 x CB and 1 x wide player (with pace) who can come in to the first team from the off...if not, then OH DEAR imo

I agree with this. IMO we need 2 x CB 2 x wingers (if we persist with 4-3-3/4-5-1) and 1 x LB

We will probably get 1 x CB and 1 x Winger.

why if NA is side happy with the LB situation...what if there is only a certain amount of £££ and he/the club have decided we can only get 3 players of quality with that money..?

He clearly isn't happy with the CB and winger situation as if rumours are to be believed we've got bids in for 2 of each which total about £25m.

There was/is always a chance that we would get relegated, but what kept me going was the thought that IMHO we would score goals. Absolutely we would concede loads, but on the evidence of 2 seasons we would create chances & have a go at teams.

In one pre-season Adkins has changed that & taken away what we were good at because of fear. He goes on about being brave & is simply not living by his own words.

How many times did we see Frazer or Butterfield bomb on & cross the ball in. Yep we were exposed, but at least we were having a go. Yesterday & at Citeh we were far too deep. Scared of what the opposition could do to us.

We are 1-0 down at home & everyone, but their keeper is in our half. It makes no sense. I was listening to the radio one night. Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle & the old Spanish Liverpool manager were on about how they simply dont understand why managers do it as all it does is allow the opposition to put more players in our box & does not give you an outlet.

More fear from Adkins.

Jay Rod on the wing..................what is that all about.

I certainly dont want to see him sacked, but he needs to live by the sword not wimp out........................

For christ sake, lets lose trying to win not just dropping deep & hoofing it.

I think it was pretty clear yesterday three of our back four probably aren't good enough for the premier league. If we sort that out we'll be a lot closer to staying up.

Also it seemed to me the spell when we couldn't even touch the ball coincided with morgan dropping out of the game, oh and why the hell didn't we start puncheon?

I've said from the start we'll be lucky to stay up this season but got shouted down, maybe now people are going to see it's not as easy as they think

I don't get this two games and we're doomed band wagon but :

1) People obsess about formations but it is horses for courses - NA mentioned it yesterday, it's about individual battles over the pitch and we need to change players and tactics on a game by game basis. Back in L1 people moaned Pardew had no "plan b" - now we're trying Plan C people are grouchy. You can't win.

2) Name the teams that play a fixed 4-4-2 in the Premiership? If you try to play it against a team that has pressed the midfield (as we did after going behind yesterday) then you will lose out. You can get away with it with the kick and rush of the Championship but EPL clubs are increasingly skillful, patient and probing.

3) In my opinion J-Rod was primarily bought as an alternative to Rickie but he has also played on the wing. Until we get some wingers in (hence Ramirez and Phillips bids) it makes sense to deploy him there.

Give the team and Adkins time or go and support Man City.

There was/is always a chance that we would get relegated, but what kept me going was the thought that IMHO we would score goals. Absolutely we would concede loads, but on the evidence of 2 seasons we would create chances & have a go at teams.

In one pre-season Adkins has changed that & taken away what we were good at because of fear. He goes on about being brave & is simply not living by his own words.

How many times did we see Frazer or Butterfield bomb on & cross the ball in. Yep we were exposed, but at least we were having a go. Yesterday & at Citeh we were far too deep. Scared of what the opposition could do to us.

We are 1-0 down at home & everyone, but their keeper is in our half. It makes no sense. I was listening to the radio one night. Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle & the old Spanish Liverpool manager were on about how they simply dont understand why managers do it as all it does is allow the opposition to put more players in our box & does not give you an outlet.

More fear from Adkins.

Jay Rod on the wing..................what is that all about.

I certainly dont want to see him sacked, but he needs to live by the sword not wimp out........................

For christ sake, lets lose trying to win not just dropping deep & hoofing it.

Good post. I cannot imagine Glenn Hoddle would have allowed us to lose 2-0. We would have won 3-2...probably.

3) In my opinion J-Rod was primarily bought as an alternative to Rickie but he has also played on the wing. Until we get some wingers in (hence Ramirez and Phillips bids) it makes sense to deploy him there.

Give the team and Adkins time or go and support Man City.

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense. We have Lallana who played LM for most of last season. He's a creative, attacking midfielder. Why not play him there? The fact that he's not a CM is even more reason to move him forward so he can take on defenders rather than battle with midfielders.

JRod should be used as an alternative to Rickie; to come on and replace a tiring Rickie or to start and be replaced by Rickie. Sharp gives another option too.

A good exercise at this point would be to take our 2005 relegation squad and the current squad and compare and mark the players on points for quality and Premier League ability. I think it ends up giving one a wake up call in how lacking the current squad is.

Southampton FC .:. 2004/2005

Goalkeeper

1 Antti Niemi Finland 31/05/1972

25 Michael Poke England 21/11/1985

13 Paul Smith England 17/12/1979

32 Chris Baird Northern Ireland 25/02/1982

23 Olivier Bernard France 14/10/1979

16 Martin Cranie England 26/09/1986

Jason Dodd England 02/11/1970

6 Andreas Jakobsson Sweden 06/10/1972

22 Darren Kenton England 13/09/1978

3 Graeme Le Saux England 17/10/1968

6 Claus Lundekvam Norway 22/02/1973

26 Matt Mills England 14/07/1986

35 Mikael Nilsson Sweden 24/06/1978

11 Michael Svensson Sweden 25/11/1975

4 Jelle Van Damme Belgium 10/10/1983

Midfielder

18 Rory Delap Ireland 06/07/1976

29 Fabrice Fernandes France 29/10/1979

23 Yoann Folly France 06/06/1985

10 Neil McCann Scotland 11/08/1974

8 Matt Oakley England 17/08/1977

20 David Prutton England 12/09/1981

40 Nigel Quashie Scotland 20/07/1978

38 Jamie Redknapp England 25/06/1973

Andrew Surman South Africa 20/08/1986

33 Paul Telfer Scotland 21/10/1971

Forward

27 Leon Best Ireland 19/09/1986

Dexter Blackstock England 20/05/1986

37 Henri Camara Senegal 10/05/1977

15 Kenwyne Jones Trinidad & Tobago 05/10/1984

9 Brett Ormerod England 18/10/1976

17 Marian Pahars Latvia 05/08/1976

7 Kevin Phillips England 25/07/1973

Manager

Harry Redknapp England 02/03/1947

Edited by ART
Correction to squad

A good exercise at this point would be to take our 2005 relegation squad and the current squad and compare and mark the players on points for quality and Premier League ability. I think it ends up giving one a wake up call in how lacking the current squad is.

About three weeks ago some people on here were saying our current team is man for man better than the FA Cup final team.

if we get relegated,so be it.

weve come up two years ahead of schedule,so we drop down with money to spend and regroup and hopefuly get back up.

enjoy the season ahead,we will be beaten plenty,it hurts cos weve been used to winning but its life in the premiership.

i for one dont think we are strong enough,we have some good players but premiership quality,not so sure.

as for getting rid of adkins,please,do me a favour,lets for once stick with a manager through good and bad,alex ferguson comes to mind and look at manure,not bad eh.

if we get relegated,so be it.

weve come up two years ahead of schedule,so we drop down with money to spend and regroup and hopefuly get back up.

enjoy the season ahead,we will be beaten plenty,it hurts cos weve been used to winning but its life in the premiership.

i for one dont think we are strong enough,we have some good players but premiership quality,not so sure.

as for getting rid of adkins,please,do me a favour,lets for once stick with a manager through good and bad,alex ferguson comes to mind and look at manure,not bad eh.

I hate this view about ''Oh well, we'll go back and come back up again''.

The last time we went down, it took us 7 years to get back. Excuse me for being blunt, but **** that for a laugh again.

We're back here now and we need to make sure that we bloody well stay here. Getting relegated this season will harm this club, no matter what way it's painted.

I hate this view about ''Oh well, we'll go back and come back up again''.

The last time we went down, it took us 7 years to get back. Excuse me for being blunt, but **** that for a laugh again.

We're back here now and we need to make sure that we bloody well stay here. Getting relegated this season will harm this club, no matter what way it's painted.

I think that people think we would bounce straight bak up if we were to go down......far far from certain

I think that people think we would bounce straight bak up if we were to go down......far far from certain

If only it was that easy! What is certain though, is that we'd say goodbye to the likes of Morgan, Lallana, Davis, Jos. And all the ''decent'' players for us at that level are being moved on anyway/sidelined, so we'd be left with quite a poor looking squad.

We'd basically have to start again, so the last 2 years would become null and void.

In my opinion, it doesn't make sense. We have Lallana who played LM for most of last season. He's a creative, attacking midfielder. Why not play him there? The fact that he's not a CM is even more reason to move him forward so he can take on defenders rather than battle with midfielders.

JRod should be used as an alternative to Rickie; to come on and replace a tiring Rickie or to start and be replaced by Rickie. Sharp gives another option too.

Agreed it doesn't make sense pushing AL inside (although that is the player's preference IIRC) and, without injuries, I think we'd probably have seen Cork the centre and AL on the wing in place of JRod. I=

Remember when RL was out for a few games last season and we really had no big man replacement. JRod is that big man replacement for sure - but if Adkins thinks he's the best option out on the left at the moment then I respect that. I certainly wouldn't want Chaplow in so that RL could replace JRod - he's got his uses but not in a chess game (which the Premiership is).

If only it was that easy! What is certain though, is that we'd say goodbye to the likes of Morgan, Lallana, Davis, Jos. And all the ''decent'' players for us at that level are being moved on anyway/sidelined, so we'd be left with quite a poor looking squad.

We'd basically have to start again, so the last 2 years would become null and void.

you have to laugh though...it was going to be an impossible start..we were always going to be bottom after 4/5 games...I think people were just shocked as did not want to admit it after saying the prem is average etc.......it is not. that is why it is (billed) the hardest league in the world and why our teams regularly dominate the later stages of the european cup.

wigan are no mugs....just look at the run towards the end of last season..beat UTD...won at liverpool and arsenal...no mugs at all..

i think our MOANING fans need to calm down a bit and see where we are after 10 games or so...as like I said, with our start, we were always going to be rock bottom come end sept