Sorry But We Will Get Relegated !

Smalls

If only it was that easy! What is certain though, is that we'd say goodbye to the likes of Morgan, Lallana, Davis, Jos. And all the ''decent'' players for us at that level are being moved on anyway/sidelined, so we'd be left with quite a poor looking squad.

We'd basically have to start again, so the last 2 years would become null and void.

I disagree, relegation this time round wouldn't be nearly as damaging as before. I think with our current squad we would be very well placed to go straight back up. We have basically only brought Championship players so far.

if we get relegated,so be it.

weve come up two years ahead of schedule,so we drop down with money to spend and regroup and hopefuly get back up.

enjoy the season ahead,we will be beaten plenty,it hurts cos weve been used to winning but its life in the premiership.

i for one dont think we are strong enough,we have some good players but premiership quality,not so sure.

as for getting rid of adkins,please,do me a favour,lets for once stick with a manager through good and bad,alex ferguson comes to mind and look at manure,not bad eh.

Another person agreeing with my theory of two months ago. More and more people are concurring with my yoyo theory by the hour.

Salute the Dalek ! Salute the Dalek !

I disagree, relegation this time round wouldn't be nearly as damaging as before. I think with our current squad we would be very well placed to go straight back up. We have basically only brought Championship players so far.

I have comnsistently said since June that this scenario is very likely part of the managements view on developing a sustainable finanacil model based on the WBA 'yoyo' strategy. I have been mocked, abused and ridiculed by many on this site who are now coming over to my way of thinking but are unlikely to credit me for making an early call.

I have comnsistently said since June that this scenario is very likely part of the managements view on developing a sustainable finanacil model based on the WBA 'yoyo' strategy. I have been mocked, abused and ridiculed by many on this site who are now coming over to my way of thinking but are unlikely to credit me for making an early call.

you also said consistently last season that we would finish 17th in the Championship.....and no, I doubt many are coming round to your way off thinking

you also said consistently last season that we would finish 17th in the Championship.....and no, I doubt many are coming round to your way off thinking

True. My prediction was based early on our lack of activity in the transfer market. We got lucky at the last moment with some signings and dipped in December before resuing the situation in January transfer. Could have gone wrong and in the end we limped over the finish line.

True. My prediction was based early on our lack of activity in the transfer market. We got lucky at the last moment with some signings and dipped in December before resuing the situation in January transfer. Could have gone wrong and in the end we limped over the finish line.

Personally, I think your prediction of 17th was a season early ;)

Dalek, you are always entitled to your opinion, but it is your aspiration that is always hard to fathom. No one plans to "yoyo". Your support gets despondent, your best players rightly want to leave, even if you have the money not to need to sell. The rewards of staying up are better anyway. Teams have done it, but they didn't plan it, and they weren't happy about it.

Of course we shouldn't risk all on a gang of over paid mercenaries. However the talk of the clubs massive ambition is bound to make us assume that this is backed up with hard cash, without risk to our future. If the club are planning to "yoyo" they are not really setting us up for it are they?

But why is a yo-yo strategy more sustainable? How many clubs have genuinely been able to plan relegation-promotion-relegation-promotion while picking up parachute payments with clock-work efficiency.

No matter how much you invest in the team, there are f**k all guarantees about relegation -hence the abysmally low percentage of teams that bounce straight back up.

The reality is that most relegated teams are forced to rebuild as they struggle to keep their best players (see Wolves) and, in return, can only attract championship-level players, confronting them with the same quality problems (should they get promoted) they experienced when they went up the first time.

In short, it's a ridiculous strategy that nobody consciously plans for and much, much worse than simply investing in quality and aiming to consolidate in the prem.

Edited by shurlock

Hate to say it but lets get real we have not brought premiership players, squad is only championship quality and our transfer business has been shocking what the hell is NC doing lost a quality left back who's now at Man U and every other deal has hit the buffers.

Nice to see another 'realistic' fan speaking sense. Too many people on here live in the clouds. Ignore the people who will slag you off for being realistic. All this talk about European football is laughable. Saints are totally underprepared for life in the prem. Not one of our strikes looks like they'll be able to hack it in the prem. why pay £7m for J-Rod? That's a shocking bit of business as is Clyne & Davies. Average championship players at best. We have a perfectly good right back who must be wondering what the hell he's done wrong to lose his place to Clyne.

If the management have got anything about them they'll go out and buy some experience. Even if We only get one season out of them. It's all about survival. I'd make Michael Owen a priority. He'll always score goals and others can learn a lot from a player with his experience.

you have to laugh though...it was going to be an impossible start..we were always going to be bottom after 4/5 games...I think people were just shocked as did not want to admit it after saying the prem is average etc.......it is not. that is why it is (billed) the hardest league in the world and why our teams regularly dominate the later stages of the european cup.

wigan are no mugs....just look at the run towards the end of last season..beat UTD...won at liverpool and arsenal...no mugs at all..

i think our MOANING fans need to calm down a bit and see where we are after 10 games or so...as like I said, with our start, we were always going to be rock bottom come end sept

Pretty much this!

IF we get the signings we are needing (and I'm certain that NA & NC are no mugs) then I think we'll grow into this league as Swansea and Norwich did last year, and will have a good season. Without new signings I agree that we'll be found wanting.

Hate to say it but lets get real we have not brought premiership players, squad is only championship quality and our transfer business has been shocking what the hell is NC doing lost a quality left back who's now at Man U and every other deal has hit the buffers.

Totally agree with this. The club has stood still over the close season with a digit well and truly inserted into an orafice and now it is probable already too late. What a waste.

That's a shocking bit of business as is Clyne & Davies. Average championship players at best. We have a perfectly good right back who must be wondering what the hell he's done wrong to lose his place to Clyne.

That's total boll.ocks. Clyne looks an absolute bargain. He's head & shoulders above anything else at the club.

I'll assume you've not seen him play as if you'd have you'd know you were chatting sh.it.

David Moyes said the most sensible thing on MoTD last night.

"after ten games is how you judge the start of the season"

I heard him say that, and most people in football would say similar - but even then I don't think that it applies to us. I don't think that we will have a fair representation of where we will finish after 10 games. We have been dealt a pretty hard start, could well be played 5 lost 5 - but even then I wouldn't panic too much. How many points did Wigan pick up last season after their first 10 games - not many I would wager - but they stayed up comfortably.

So long as the lads heads don't drop because of the poor start (which is only to be expected) - we could well be ok - but the first 10 games are not really going to be the markers.

There was/is always a chance that we would get relegated, but what kept me going was the thought that IMHO we would score goals. Absolutely we would concede loads, but on the evidence of 2 seasons we would create chances & have a go at teams.

In one pre-season Adkins has changed that & taken away what we were good at because of fear. He goes on about being brave & is simply not living by his own words.

How many times did we see Frazer or Butterfield bomb on & cross the ball in. Yep we were exposed, but at least we were having a go. Yesterday & at Citeh we were far too deep. Scared of what the opposition could do to us.

We are 1-0 down at home & everyone, but their keeper is in our half. It makes no sense. I was listening to the radio one night. Graham Taylor, Glenn Hoddle & the old Spanish Liverpool manager were on about how they simply dont understand why managers do it as all it does is allow the opposition to put more players in our box & does not give you an outlet.

More fear from Adkins.

Jay Rod on the wing..................what is that all about.

I certainly dont want to see him sacked, but he needs to live by the sword not wimp out........................

For christ sake, lets lose trying to win not just dropping deep & hoofing it.

We scored 2 at city who only let in 12 all last yr. Im confused.

But why is a yo-yo strategy more sustainable? How many clubs have genuinely been able to plan relegation-promotion-relegation-promotion while picking up parachute payments with clock-work efficiency.

No matter how much you invest in the team, there are f**k all guarantees about relegation -hence the abysmally low percentage of teams that bounce straight back up.

The reality is that most relegated teams are forced to rebuild as they struggle to keep their best players (see Wolves) and, in return, can only attract championship-level players, confronting them with the same quality problems (should they get promoted) they experienced when they went up the first time.

In short, it's a ridiculous strategy that nobody consciously plans for and much, much worse than simply investing in quality and aiming to consolidate in the prem.

Your assertion sounds very valid, except for WBA who did adopt a 'yoyo' strategy and have been successful. Of course, the management would be absolutely delighted if we stayed up this year, but I cannot see them putting the club at financial risk with over inflated transfers and wages.

Take heed of that lot down the road and the mess they got themselves into.

Nice to see another 'realistic' fan speaking sense. Too many people on here live in the clouds. Ignore the people who will slag you off for being realistic. All this talk about European football is laughable. Saints are totally underprepared for life in the prem. Not one of our strikes looks like they'll be able to hack it in the prem. why pay £7m for J-Rod? That's a shocking bit of business as is Clyne & Davies. Average championship players at best. We have a perfectly good right back who must be wondering what the hell he's done wrong to lose his place to Clyne.

If the management have got anything about them they'll go out and buy some experience. Even if We only get one season out of them. It's all about survival. I'd make Michael Owen a priority. He'll always score goals and others can learn a lot from a player with his experience.

hahhaa funniest thing I have read on here all day! Clyne is quality!

We won't go down only two games played well have about three new players by this week I'm sure or we are in trouble

In 2005 we went down and probably none of the current squad would have got in that team so I think it is going to be very hard to stay up

In 2005 we went down and probably none of the current squad would have got in that team so I think it is going to be very hard to stay up

I think none is a bit harsh. The most ominous comparison with 2005 is that we lacked quality and numbers in defence and particularly central defence. Lets hope it gets sorted anyway.

If Norwich, Swansea and QPR can stay up then so can Saints. We only need to stay up by goal differance so until the last game we are still in it. I expect saints to be in bottom 6/7 all season as we are not likley to get any major experienced and or goal scorers in either transfer window.

What most on here are saying is that we are close to having a side that can compete yet we haven't addressed that despite every man and Saints dog seeing it. Thats not bedwetting thats is a fact.

I've read 11 posts of this thread and been reminded why I don't post on the main board much, and only come over for a look every few days. I can't remember anyone saying we needed to sign an entire new squad before the season started - or even after the Man City game. So that comment above (sorry to pick on yours GITR, but it was the last I could be bothered to read) is a reaction from one home game... that is bedwetting whether you like or not.

Even though i think it's going to be fu.cking tough and am seriously worried about our defence i personally think Clyne could prove to be the best player at our club at the end of the season - yup even better than Lallana - the nipper is immense and easily premiership quality.

My Christ.

In my everyday life people tell me I'm prone to being pessimistic and hysterical. Perhaps that is true, but coming on here makes me question whether I have just missed something and this is actually a looney bin? How half the people on here claim to be Southampton supporters baffles me, I swear half of you hate Saints. All you do is b!tch and moan about the club, players, management and every single trivial decision/policy.

Two games in, neither have we been battered. I know this isn't how football works and I'm not a huge fan of this attitude, But, on another day Al-Habsi wouldn't have made those saves, jos wouldn't have hit the bar and things would be looking different.

On the matter of transfers, attn the tards with zero memory Vitesse said we did nothing, NOTHING, wrong in our dealings with them over Buttner. Sometimes things just don't work out. Ramirez is not an average player, and you morons that say so will be proved wrong in the not too distant future.

We have bought in Clyne, who looks to be a class act and future star, and Rodriguez definitely has quality. I'm convinced Davis will be a good acquisition, for a good fee whose settling period has been disrupted by injury and the rangers affair.

Clearly somethings haven't worked out, but the usual doom mongers won't consider being sensible or thinking about the football world holistically, but to write saints, or anyone for that matter, off after two games is just pathetic.

Man up, and grow up. Of course there have been cb targets, and I am sure NA and NC just as disappointed about this as everyone on here. And yes we have 0 from 2 thus far, welcome to the premier league b1tches, this is what we have worked so hard for (saints as a club, not us ignorant idiots typing on an Internet forum - myself firmly included in this). To think the it was going to be easy in the best league in the country, and one of the best in the world, is just stupidly naive.

Things will happen before the window closes, players will come in. We will lose more games, we will get hammered a few times and we will some games. Just chill out and enjoy the ride kids.

I've read 11 posts of this thread and been reminded why I don't post on the main board much, and only come over for a look every few days. I can't remember anyone saying we needed to sign an entire new squad before the season started - or even after the Man City game. So that comment above (sorry to pick on yours GITR, but it was the last I could be bothered to read) is a reaction from one home game... that is bedwetting whether you like or not.

Sorry that is not a reaction to one home game...its been apparent to me since we got promoted that our defence and lack of pace would see us struggle and so far it has. The fact we haven't addressed that is not bed wetting its a fact.

We have 5 days left to address that and now we are being linked with some defenders and hopefully finally can add a bit of quality will see us fine.

At times on Saturday we looked decent up to where it mattered that gives me hope if we can recruit the above.

If that does make me all happy and clappy then I can live with that.

90 minutes against Man City didn't make us Premier League certainties and 90 minutes against Wigan doesn't make us relegation certainties. To post a thread like this - particularly with the title it has - after only two games is quite frankly shameful and somewhat ridiculous. If a rival club reacted like this we'd be ****ing ourselves laughing at them. For ****'s sake give it 10 games or take up badminton and lawn bowls.

Of course it is early days yet but there is a major concern over the defence. Man City could have been out of sight with better finishing last week and we look like a side that will conceded 2 to 3 goals a week. WE are naive at the back. We got away with it most of the time last season but we won't this season. That is where we need to stengthen urgently.

I was very pleased with the defensive improvement this week. By all accounts we restricted Wigan to far fewer chances than Man City got and conceding only 2 goals rather than 3 is a real achievement of which the defensive unit can be rightly proud. I bet they're buzzing!

My Christ.

In my everyday life people tell me I'm prone to being pessimistic and hysterical. Perhaps that is true, but coming on here makes me question whether I have just missed something and this is actually a looney bin? How half the people on here claim to be Southampton supporters baffles me, I swear half of you hate Saints. All you do is b!tch and moan about the club, players, management and every single trivial decision/policy.

Two games in, neither have we been battered. I know this isn't how football works and I'm not a huge fan of this attitude, But, on another day Al-Habsi wouldn't have made those saves, jos wouldn't have hit the bar and things would be looking different.

On the matter of transfers, attn the tards with zero memory Vitesse said we did nothing, NOTHING, wrong in our dealings with them over Buttner. Sometimes things just don't work out. Ramirez is not an average player, and you morons that say so will be proved wrong in the not too distant future.

We have bought in Clyne, who looks to be a class act and future star, and Rodriguez definitely has quality. I'm convinced Davis will be a good acquisition, for a good fee whose settling period has been disrupted by injury and the rangers affair.

Clearly somethings haven't worked out, but the usual doom mongers won't consider being sensible or thinking about the football world holistically, but to write saints, or anyone for that matter, off after two games is just pathetic.

Man up, and grow up. Of course there have been cb targets, and I am sure NA and NC just as disappointed about this as everyone on here. And yes we have 0 from 2 thus far, welcome to the premier league b1tches, this is what we have worked so hard for (saints as a club, not us ignorant idiots typing on an Internet forum - myself firmly included in this). To think the it was going to be easy in the best league in the country, and one of the best in the world, is just stupidly naive.

Things will happen before the window closes, players will come in. We will lose more games, we will get hammered a few times and we will some games. Just chill out and enjoy the ride kids.

Excellent post, and a no brainer, staggering all this needs pointing out to some people.

My Christ.

Great reposte to the bedwetters ! Excellent post .

Of course it is early days yet but there is a major concern over the defence. Man City could have been out of sight with better finishing last week and we look like a side that will conceded 2 to 3 goals a week. WE are naive at the back. We got away with it most of the time last season but we won't this season. That is where we need to stengthen urgently.

Any more naive than Liverpool were yesterday?

Shut up!!!!!

Of course we will go down. We've played two games in which we have lost both, although it's not the end of the transfer window, and we have another in Janaray, we aint got no chance. so that's the season over and here comes the championship again.

Yeyyyy

Staggering thread. So if we beat Man U (which I think we have a good chance of doing), can guarantee that a lot of the people who have been predicting our demise will suddenly think we are bound for mid-table.. Also, lets not forget Wigan have one of the best managers outside of top 4, build up a decent team over several years in the prem and were one of the form teams at the end of last season.

This has to be the worst post this season - may I assume Sid that you have not seen any games based on your location. Michael Owen :lol:

We came 12th in 2003/04 with a squad like this... :D

A1TuwkCCAAALP2m.jpg:large

Just shows that things have moved on in this division... But also what belief and confidence that you are a proper Premier League team can do. Some of those players went on to drop out of the league, but at the time they believed they were good enough and so they were. Confidence is such a massive thing in football.

Our current Saints team lacking in confidence vs our current Saints team brimming with confidence would be a rout.

Are u for real or was that a wind up? I get that this thread will attract a certain mindset of fans but I can't believe u think 1.8m for a future England RB is bad business? Do u really think that...??? Davis also looked good against Wigan and city, cots us 800k has experience and is exactly the type of experienced player u call for. Also Owen? We lack pace as it is without a crippled 30+ year old.

I agree we need more class and I think we lack depth but I can't say that are transfer business has been abysmal. Especially once Gaston signs.

That is my 2 sense. I hope nu were on a wind up. If not then don't panic!

watching the PL so far I see that there are quite a few teams who will be in the relegation mix. For me we played Wigan too early before we had got our feet in this league.

If we strengthen in the next coupe of days, that will give the club a massive lift, especially if we add some much needed pace up front/wings. We need a player who can run away from a defence not slower than the centre backs.

I expect us to be in the dogfight at the end and hope after 4 games we are not too far away from the pack.

We're not going to get relegated. I appreciate that "nil points" is not a great return on the two games we've played, but that hardly signals Premier League oblivion. Everton are currently confounding pundits by not having a totally crap start to the season. Wigan couldn't buy points at the start of last season. In our previous stints in the top tier, we've suffered defeat week after week and still survived.

So here's why I don't think we'll get relegated. First, I think we'll strengthen before the end of the window. The Ramirez deal is edging closer and there are some encouraging reports surrounding other potential targets. NA and NC know we need more in defence. They can't not. If we make it to the end of the window without acquisitions I'll be completely wrong, but hey, neck stuck out.

Next, there's such a thing called form. Teams go on runs, beat teams they shouldn't, while others collapse.

Finally, consider our relegation rivals. QPR are a timebomb - never rated Sparky as a manager; the shopping spree, etc. Cannot believe he keeps getting top flight jobs. People will point to West Ham's "difficult to beatness", but I suspect that is a reputation they will quickly lose under better opposition. Honestly don't think Swansea will struggle, and I rate Hughton - but keeping Norwich up might be difficult this year. We'll also see other relegation candidates emerge during the season ( chickens at Blackburn of last year, etc).

Whatever, it's the start of the season. I may revise my opinion if we hit the deadline with no new players, but I think we'll be alright. We are going to be thoroughly depressed at points, anxious at others and occasionally, bloody elated. Welcome to the big league, boys and girls. (We'll be alright).

• 8 months later...

I'd like to see a thread from after we lost to WBA - I wouldn't blame the doome and gloom merchants on that one - very hard to see from that point that we could stay up - but we have, and in style.