Red Dwarf X

Crazy Diamond

A definite improvement on Back To Earth, with the return to the original live-audience format, but it still felt a little too contrived and over-executed compared to the heyday.

I quite enjoyed it, but Dave dropped a b*llock by screening all the earlier series as part of the buildup. Makes you remember just how good they were, last nights was ok in comparison but no more than ok.

A definite improvement on Back To Earth, with the return to the original live-audience format, but it still felt a little too contrived and over-executed compared to the heyday.

Not exactly difficult though. Series eight was a load of ****e as well.

I thought it was okay but nothing more. The moose thing was laboured at times but not a bad gag. I dislike the lack of buildup and emotion in key areas. Rimmer finds his brother and there's nothing. 'Okay see you in 15 hours.' But hey it's not as if he's not seen his brother in a long, long time... Say three million years... Oh.

Again, 'we've found a ship' and then they're on there. No build up. At all. What was that ******** about how the Trojan was powered as well?

Howard dies. Oh well that's a shame. Nothing.

Cat is no longer cool and effortlessly funny. Everything seems overacted. Kryten looks like ****e. Lister isn't too bad given Craig Charles is nearly 50 now.

People are saying it's like the Red Dwarf of old but to me it's a mixture of the old and new. Anyway, I was encouraged enough to want to watch next week.

• 2 weeks later...
Well after a so-so first couple, last night's episode (Lemons) was, IMO, the best Red Dwarf has been since series 6. It totally felt like RD of old. I really hope the rest of the series continues to be as good as this one.

Dear me. Couldn't agree less. I thought 'Pree' was great. Last night wasn't that good at all.

Last nights was terrible, it reminded me of all those terrible BBC sitcoms of the past few years. The first one doesn't really count as it was introducing characters to non dwarfers but the middle one was good and was very much like the RD of old.

The preview of next weeks looks good so hopefully more of EP2

So far I have enjoyed watching Red Dwarf X but Lemons is the first of the new series that has made me laugh out loud. I thought Lemons had great production value. The India set looked brilliant and it was nice to see the crew get out in the fresh air and stretch their space legs. All of the main cast were on good form and it felt like they were really back in the skins of their characters properly for the first time since Red Dwarf X began. I think this was the best episode of Red Dwarf X so far. For me I'd say its the funniest Red Dwarf has been in a while.

Personally I'd give this episode 4.5/5 pretty close to perfect.

One of my favorite moments was the operation on a very sensitive certain area of Jesus to remove his kidney stone.

Kryten:"Mr Lister sir can you hold this."

Lister: "I'm not holding it, I barely know him!"

Rimmer:"Pass the barbecue tongs,this is the high point of my entire career!" :D

Edited by Saint J 77

Although most of the ingredients that made the (early) Red Dwarf such a success are still present to a degree, I've found watching 'Series X' to be a pretty joyless experience in the main. The plots seem less inventive and more contrived than they were in this series heyday, but perhaps the biggest problem is there's just nothing new left to say about these characters after all this time. I must say I find the familiar personality flaws Lister and his crew mates continue to exhibit more depressing, rather than amusing, as they progress from youth into middle age.

'Never go back' the saying has it - good advice.

The thing I've come to conclude is that Red Dwarf's hardcore fans are very spoilt and cannot accept that the series may have to end.

Television programmes have a shelf life, and really RD's ended in about 1996/7. Series eight was made and the realisation should have been that it wasn't very good and should have ended there and then.

But no, it HAD to come back, even if it was nine years later. 'Back to Earth' wasn't very good but no, it HAD to warrant a new series. I would not complain if RD had ended after series six. The only reason for the two comebacks is its very loyal fans, who just can't accept that it might have had its day. An episode like 'Lemons' or 'Trojan' for me should be the warning signs that no, it cannot carry on forever and it may be finally time to just give it up once and for all.

I dislike the lack of buildup and emotion in key areas. Rimmer finds his brother and there's nothing. 'Okay see you in 15 hours.' But hey it's not as if he's not seen his brother in a long, long time... Say three million years... Oh.

Again, 'we've found a ship' and then they're on there. No build up. At all. What was that ******** about how the Trojan was powered as well?

Howard dies. Oh well that's a shame. Nothing.

I think you're remembering a different programme. The underlying 'storyline' element of Red Dwarf was always pretty ropey but it didn't really matter because the comedy was so good.

I think you're remembering a different programme. The underlying 'storyline' element of Red Dwarf was always pretty ropey but it didn't really matter because the comedy was so good.

Trojan and Holoship are very similar episodes in terms of plot, but the scripts and acting couldn't be further apart.

Caught this at Son In Law's pad on Sky +

It was like finding an old friend and curling up in the corner of the pub with a pint of real Ale and having a good chin-wag.

Was it ground breaking? No

Was it as good as the best of the early years? No

Are the actors more rounded and set in the roles? Yes

Was the whole find the last woman in the universe who wants to **** Rimmer and "Elf & Safety" get in the way totally cliched and gash? Yes

Did we laugh at it? Yes

Tbh it was a zillion times more funny than Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughan's latest million dollar + to make movie flop The Watch, and I actually laughed more in the 30 mins of the show than I did to Ice Age 4 (excepting the bits with Scrat in them)

I'll be getting it downloaded/on DVD and will enjoy it for what it is. 30 minutes of not worrying about the outside world or what some muppet has posted on the main board

Caught this at Son In Law's pad on Sky +

It was like finding an old friend and curling up in the corner of the pub with a pint of real Ale and having a good chin-wag.

Was it ground breaking? No

Was it as good as the best of the early years? No

Are the actors more rounded and set in the roles? Yes

Was the whole find the last woman in the universe who wants to **** Rimmer and "Elf & Safety" get in the way totally cliched and gash? Yes

Did we laugh at it? Yes

Tbh it was a zillion times more funny than Ben Stiller/Vince Vaughan's latest million dollar + to make movie flop The Watch, and I actually laughed more in the 30 mins of the show than I did to Ice Age 4 (excepting the bits with Scrat in them)

I'll be getting it downloaded/on DVD and will enjoy it for what it is. 30 minutes of not worrying about the outside world or what some muppet has posted on the main board

Well if you enjoyed this one Phil then you should definitely get hold of the rest when they become available. I thought it was by far the weakest episode of the new series so far and very short on laughs compared to a couple of the previous ones.