When is enough enough?

Turkish

Engine management light came on again today when I was on the M1 near Leicester, started juddering again and couldn't get over 60 MPH, no acceleration at all. This is now the 7TH fault in 3 months and i've spent over £2k on it in that time. After the 4th fault i started thinking ill keep it as surely nothing else can go wrong for a while but every two or three weeks something does. The first 30k i did in it had no problems at all but the last 7K or so it's just been one problem after another. Is it time to get rid of it? The biggest problem is i still owe on the finance.

It depends on whether you think losing the money is worth it to you. I don't know your financial situ, but throwing good money after bad gripes anyone I guess.

it does!!! Ive been looking around this morning and doing some research, i can trade in the car and whatever they give me on it i can use the equity as a deposit on a new finance agreement. I balleds up getting a Saab to be honest, looked at similar cars like A4's, 3 series etc and the Saab was much cheaper for the year and mileage, it's been a false economy though as i've probably spent more in repair bills than i would have for getting a more reliable brand and paying a bit more. It's what to get next that is now the question.......

I do about 30,000. My last two cars have been BMW's as the business buy's them, and the tax situation leads to the BMW emissions being preferential. They are great cars. I've had 4 Ford's, a Vauxhall, 4 Peugeot's, a VW, and more recently an A4, all for about 2 to 3 years. Obviously cars have tended to improve over time. The 320D M sport estate was entirely trouble free. Obviously more fun as well. I would avoid the M Sport if being practical. They are fun to drive 10% of the time, but are more difficult to live with, more expensive, and you may get tired of the wife scuffing the alloys on kerbs with the low profile tyres. I think most of the reviews say an SE is much better value. My current car is an X3 which is my first automatic, (getting old). With the current BMW auto transmission you don't seem to lose out on economy or performance which came as a bit of a revelation to me. If you are doing 30,000 a year and a day job, the auto box and auto hand brake make heavy traffic much less annoying.

Buying BMW, Audi or Merc doesnt guarantee more reliability........ Just more expense when it does go wrong!

I had the Audi A4 cabriolet and had a similar domino of issues, spent over £3k on 7-8 different issues over 10 months!

Once you get sick of the car........ Sell it.

I would look at a new Focus or Mondeo diesel if i were you?

Buying BMW, Audi or Merc doesnt guarantee more reliability........ Just more expense when it does go wrong!

I had the Audi A4 cabriolet and had a similar domino of issues, spent over £3k on 7-8 different issues over 10 months!

Once you get sick of the car........ Sell it.

I would look at a new Focus or Mondeo diesel if i were you?

I had some issues with my A4 as well. Turbo manifold of some description and something else that I can't remember.

On your general point, I am sure you're right. We go up to Blackbush on Thursdays, which is brilliant if you have the knowledge to see what you are looking at, and we buy ex lease fleet Fiesta diesel vans with less than 30k on them. We might pay just over £5k including VAT and fees for one. If we sell it privately after two years with 80k on it, it has nearly been as cheap as running a bicycle. However if you really really want a prestige saloon I would look for an ex fleet 320 or 319D SE with 60 to 90k, and if your fussed, an automatic gearbox.

You might want to check out the cost of tyres on the 1-series, my mate had his work change a rear pair recently and it was over £500! They were runflats and i don't know if certain wheels can only use regular or runflat tyres?

Especially true of the M Sport's I think. Damaged 1 run flat on my X3 on a site, and it was ££££

You might want to check out the cost of tyres on the 1-series, my mate had his work change a rear pair recently and it was over £500! They were runflats and i don't know if certain wheels can only use regular or runflat tyres?

I think you can opt out of run flats. I chose not to have them on my Cooper S

Good to know, but i'm still not sure if you can put regular and runflats on the same wheel, or if you need specific wheels. Some research is in order!

Either is fine. Runflats are horrible and ruin the ride. Just ditched them on my wifes mini. Half the price and twice the ride. Put the savings to a can of tyreweld and the jobs a good un.