The Hobbit

mightysaints

Managed to find a cinema within a 30-mile radius of me playing it twice-a-week in English.

Saw it this morning. Its an older independent cinema, so I am pretty sure it was only 24fps. But the 3D worked well, unlike the last film I tried 3D on at a cinema, Pirates of the Carribbean 4.

As for the film ? F**king brilliant. Better than I expected from critic reviews (they are clearly suffering from Phantom Menace-level knocking-off-of-pedestal agendas), and as good as I hoped.

Not too long, not too slow, plot development just right (loved the change-over of Bilbo from just before his hundred-eleventieth birthday party to 60 years before) and breathtaking action scenes.

And ow, that Middle-Earth(NZ) scenery makes my balls and heart ache....

Edited by alpine_saint

went & watched it this afternoon on the Imax screen at Leisure World, the place was packed!

i have been a fanboy of the book since i was a nipper so was a bit anxious about the changes to the original story but needn't of worried. i was brilliant!

as Alps said above the pacing of the story & plot was spot on & if it wasn't for my poor aching knees i wouldn't have noticed how long the film had been on.

on the Imax screen it looked amazing and i was pleased the 3D wasn't the be all & end all as it is in most modern films.

roll on the next 2 films in the triology.

ps instead of normal trailers we were shown a 10 min clip of the next Star Trek film ! looked amazing & another film to ad to list to watch next year

Yep, agree with everyone so far - thought it was brilliant.

Saw it in plain old 2D (because the 3D screens give my girlfriend a headache) and found it immensely enjoyable. It had all the grandeur of the LOTR films without any of the sickeningly sentimental stuff that blighted those films. I thought Martin Freeman was excellent as Bilbo, as he is in everything, and managed to get Ian Holm's mannerisms spot on to make him totally convincing as a younger version of him. Really looking forward to the next two now.

I have not read any of Tolkien's work, but am I correct in thinking that stretching one book through 9 hours of screen time is pushing it a bit?

I saw the Hobbit the other day and whilst I liked it a lot (and look forward to the others), was not blown away as I was with the Fellowship. Seemed a bit flat, and I don't know if that's a combination of the material or whether Jackson's heart is not into it as much as the other three.

I read the first one of the Lord of the Ring when the film was out, and it's fair to say they could have made 10 films out of that one book alone if they hadn't cut out all the terrible long boring pages on pages when the characters all stop what the're doing to sing a dumb song or whatever.

Here is the lyrics to my song! All 5 pages of them! Enjoy reading them homes! Kind Regards, J.R.R.TOLKEINS

Managed to find a cinema within a 30-mile radius of me playing it twice-a-week in English.

Saw it this morning. Its an older independent cinema, so I am pretty sure it was only 24fps. But the 3D worked well, unlike the last film I tried 3D on at a cinema, Pirates of the Carribbean 4.

As for the film ? F**king brilliant. Better than I expected from critic reviews (they are clearly suffering from Phantom Menace-level knocking-off-of-pedestal agendas), and as good as I hoped.

Not too long, not too slow, plot development just right (loved the change-over of Bilbo from just before his hundred-eleventieth birthday party to 60 years before) and breathtaking action scenes.

And ow, that Middle-Earth(NZ) scenery makes my balls and heart ache....

Interesting review.

Finally saw it today in 3D high frame rate. After 15 minutes I was not sure at all either with the strange look of HFR or the film itself. However it grew on me and the 3 hours flew by. Some of the scenery was stunning, the ending left me yearning for more. Good to see some of the old characters and Martin Freeman as Bilbo was excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from watching this myself. Loved it. I'm left with no doubts about the overall quality of the trilogy. Too long? Please. I was ready for more by the end of it. Besides, I knew I was going to watch a three hour film. If my expectation was to be in and out in 90 minutes, then yeah; fair dos. Personally, I found it a pleasure to watch a film with the room to breathe.

Not as serious as LOTR, but then, was never going to be. Freeman is excellent and as far as I can make out, doing Bilbo Baggins instead of Tim from the Office. Can't wait for the next ones.

I seen it. I went with bird and as we went in they was handing out 3D glasses and this guy in front waved them aside like he didn't want none. He seemed foreign. He was sat a few rows in front of us so I kept an eye on him and he was quite enjoying himself eating his popcorn till the movie started and then he was looking round as if kind of confused wondering why everyone was suddenly putting on glasses. He sat and watched the movie for bout 15 minutes, kind of squinting at the screen and rubbing his eyes. Then he walked out. He never come back. Obviously not a fan!

Spoilers!

Nothing happens for the first hour or so. Then they have some trouble with trolls and gandalf saves them. Then they have some trouble with dorks and gandalf saves them.

Then nothing happens for another hour or so. Bird is asleep by this point. I know where she's coming from, I could of had a sleep too but i know a lot of people on here has been waiting for my review so i was trying to stay conscious and professional!

Then they have some trouble with goblings and gandalf saves them. This is pretty noisy. Bird wakes up and stretches like a cat, "Let's get outta here," she says. I'm like "No i have to do a review for the internets." She looks at me with big eyes, "I'll make it worth your while!"

I didn't see no more. It was probably pretty good after that! I imagine they had some trouble with dragons and gandalf saved them. If you go watch it and as you walk in someone tries to hand you a pair of glasses you should probably take them tho. That would be my recommendation!

I seen it. I went with bird and as we went in they was handing out 3D glasses and this guy in front waved them aside like he didn't want none. He seemed foreign. He was sat a few rows in front of us so I kept an eye on him and he was quite enjoying himself eating his popcorn till the movie started and then he was looking round as if kind of confused wondering why everyone was suddenly putting on glasses. He sat and watched the movie for bout 15 minutes, kind of squinting at the screen and rubbing his eyes. Then he walked out. He never come back. Obviously not a fan!

Spoilers!

Nothing happens for the first hour or so. Then they have some trouble with trolls and gandalf saves them. Then they have some trouble with dorks and gandalf saves them.

Then nothing happens for another hour or so. Bird is asleep by this point. I know where she's coming from, I could of had a sleep too but i know a lot of people on here has been waiting for my review so i was trying to stay conscious and professional!

Then they have some trouble with goblings and gandalf saves them. This is pretty noisy. Bird wakes up and stretches like a cat, "Let's get outta here," she says. I'm like "No i have to do a review for the internets." She looks at me with big eyes, "I'll make it worth your while!"

I didn't see no more. It was probably pretty good after that! I imagine they had some trouble with dragons and gandalf saved them. If you go watch it and as you walk in someone tries to hand you a pair of glasses you should probably take them tho. That would be my recommendation!

Was there a happy ending Bear?

I saw The Hobbit over the Xmas period too and thoroughly enjoyed it. My wife stayed awake, as did the friends we went with.

As others have said, the nearly three hours went by in a blink. I'm pleased that Jackson chose to lavish time and effects on each part of the story. Stretching out the story into three films seemed crazy to me before I saw it, but I now think it will make three beautiful films.

I didn't see it in 3D or the high frame rate version.

Spoilers!

So you left early and had gobbling trouble with the bird instead of with Gandalf and Bilbo ?

Classic Bearsy post - good stuff.