Les Reed

Dig Dig

Why the vitrol on here about Les Reed at times?

He's helped to continue the development of our academy and along with Man Utd, both our U18's and U21's have made it to the elite stages.

He's also put a decent coaching team together at academy levels and helped expand the scouting network throughout Europe.

Yes, he was a terrible manager at Charlton over his 7 game stint, but as he's not employeed as our manager, I can't see the relevance to the job he does now.

His role isn't to coach, it's to develop our infrastructure and organisation and he seems to be at the forefront of what's required at a modern football club.

As I said, I don't really understand the stick he gets on here quite regularly from people who seemingly don't really know what it is he does.

Anyone care to explain?

from people who seemingly don't really know what it is he does

For me this is the problem. Because he is on the transfer committee, he seems to get a lot of flack! Suddenly he is signing players and has no idea what he's talking about. Or at least that's the impression I get from people.

for the job he does he seems to have a pretty good CV?

For me this is the problem. Because he is on the transfer committee, he seems to get a lot of flack! Suddenly he is signing players and has no idea what he's talking about. Or at least that's the impression I get from people.

for the job he does he seems to have a pretty good CV?

Who signs the players at Southampton FC, thats all we want to know.

Agree with the OP. He is clearly doing a good job against Cortese's acceptance criteria otherwise he wouldn't still be here.

The facts you present about the U18 & U21s are testament to the coaching structure put in place (Reed was instrumental in bringing Martin Hunter to the Club) and Adkins has often referred to the beefed up scouting, which certainly seems to be the case.

It is simply that people seek a scapegoat, don't understand what Reed actually is there to do and then lazily look at that short spell at Charlton. He hasn't been recruited to coach players.

It would be like criticising Adkins for not doing much as a player - totally irrelevant.

I am 99% sure we are better off with Reed here than without him.

Barry have you been drinking? This sentence makes no sense. I suspect even Les Reed writes a good sentence.

If you read the Gerrard quotes he basically says he has no respect for Reed and another coach because they didn't mollycoddle him on his first trip away with the Eng squad.

Zero to do with new training ground and coaching setups. More an indictment of the modern footballer.

If you read the Gerrard quotes he basically says he has no respect for Reed and another coach because they didn't mollycoddle him on his first trip away with the Eng squad.

Zero to do with new training ground and coaching setups. More an indictment of the modern footballer.

Yes I have no time for mollycoddling the modern footballer, but I do have time for a young lad away from home and being worried about playing well for England, thats simply crap coaching and a lack of empathy, in short crap modern people skills.

FFS! Being on the committee does not mean signing players! He has been working with the academy and u21 and u18 teams. If we are signing youth players why should he not get a say? There is no proof about how much say he has in anything?!

FFS! Being on the committee does not mean signing players! He has been working with the academy and u21 and u18 teams. If we are signing youth players why should he not get a say? There is no proof about how much say he has in anything?!

Who signs the players at Southampton and how many people are on this committee?

Yes I have no time for mollycoddling the modern footballer, but I do have time for a young lad away from home and being worried about playing well for England, tahts simply crap coaching and a lack of empathy, in short crap modern peole skills.

Ok - fair enough. Lets hear the opinions of some different people now that we know yours.

So what has Les Reed done in football?

Only held some of the highest coaching positions in this Country.

- FA development officer,

- FA Regional Director of Coaching,

- Director of Technical Development at the FA

- England Coach at 3 world cups.

- FA's Technical Director.

His CV seems pretty suitable for the role he has at Saints - Head of Football Development and Support

Yes I have no time for mollycoddling the modern footballer, but I do have time for a young lad away from home and being worried about playing well for England, tahts simply crap coaching and a lack of empathy, in short crap modern peole skills.

Ahhh poor little Gerrard having to go on a plane and sleep in a hotel without an ickle cuddle wuddle from Les Reed.

Who signs the players at Southampton and how many people are on this committee?

I'm not 100% as as far as I know, other than Adkins, Reed, Cortese, hunter, and the scouting team I'm don't know who else is consulted. I mean the doctor will have a say when doing the medical, doesn't mean he finds targets!

Do you know who has what say for sure?

Only held some of the highest coaching positions in this Country.

- FA development officer,

- FA Regional Director of Coaching,

- Director of Technical Development at the FA

- England Coach at 3 world cups.

- FA's Technical Director.

His CV seems pretty suitable for the role he has at Saints - Head of Football Development and Support

During his second spell at the FA he authored the FA's official coaching manual, The Official FA Guide to Basic Team Coaching

Certainly qualified for the role he does - I am quite sure that none of his detractors know Cortese's acceptance criteria for Reed?

Ahhh poor little Gerrard having to go on a plane and sleep in a hotel without an ickle cuddle wuddle from Les Reed.

Its called empathy and understanding, also you may get them to actaully play better? I understand Reed is respected in World football and Gerrard is not, hold on..................

During his second spell at the FA he authored the FA's official coaching manual, The Official FA Guide to Basic Team Coaching

Certainly qualified for the role he does - I am quite sure that none of his detractors know Cortese's acceptance criteria for Reed?

So this is the reason our National game is in such good shape....................

Its called empathy and understanding, also you may get them to actaully play better? I understand Reed is respected in World football and Gerrard is not, hold on..................

Do you not think that the Gerrard comments showed what a little pussy he was at the time? What if he had been called up to fight on the front line as many brave youngsters have done in their millions in the past?

And what does it have to do with Reeds ability to develop our infrastructure? He's not in contact with the players so it matters not what Gerrard thought of him.

Aside from what Gerrard said, what else don't you like?

Do you not think that the Gerrard comments showed what a little pussy he was at the time? What if he had been called up to fight on the front line as many brave youngsters have done in their millions in the past?

And what does it have to do with Reeds ability to develop our infrastructure? He's not in contact with the players so it matters not what Gerrard thought of him.

Gerrard has a very high opinion of himself anyway probably just a clash of personalities and maybe a bit of an excuse for Gerrard.

And as you say Reed is not in a coaching role.

You can not compare being called up into War and being selected for your Country for a sport.

The Charlton episode and the fact he appears to have influence on our purchases and yet has no experience at any level of buying players.

I for one am delighted to have him here. He is an experienced footballing man and will undoubtedly have learnt from his mistakes in the past which can only be a good thing. He's clearly a guy who knows what he's doing as the fA gave holm responsibility to write their coaching manual once. I would say on balance his involvement here can only be a good thing.

I for one am delighted to have him here. He is an experienced footballing man and will undoubtedly have learnt from his mistakes in the past which can only be a good thing. He's clearly a guy who knows what he's doing as the fA gave holm responsibility to write their coaching manual once. I would say on balance his involvement here can only be a good thing.

Are you saying that you believe the FA employ the best candidates for the relevant position?

It doesn't matter what we all think, the important thing is that we all judge him without really knowing much about how well he's doing the job he's been asked to do, then sneer at anyone else who has come to a different decision based on no real knowledge. It's the SWF way.

Some people do know more about what we does than others. People seem to get upset about Reed because of his time at Charlton which is largely irrelevant IMO .

Some people do know more about what we does than others. People seem to get upset about Reed because of his time at Charlton which is largely irrelevant IMO .

And the fact that he is on the transfer committee, even though no-one seems to know how much say he has in anything!

Some people ought to remember where we have come from in the last 3 years, to me it means that the system has been working and the club as a whole are gradually finding its feet in the top league, a much changed PL than when we left it.

He isnt here to sign players or get involved in the footballing side, if he was I would be very worried, but in short he isnt. Yes he is on the committee, along with other members, this doesnt mean that he himself is finding targets himself or even having a big say on them. Im all for a group opinion btw, it stops situations such as QPR or Liverpool under king kenny.

From the academy, U21s and U18s point of view I cant see the arguement, he has spearheaded a great project here, and has been tasked with finding ideas from excellence centres elsewhere, having seen some plans etc the new academy is going to be fantastic, added to this our class one status.

Him interfering with the team is utter utter tripe btw

As for the national teams abject failure, that is more a widespread thing than anyone in the FA can sort, a slow reaction to changing coaching ideas and a preference to cheaper foriegn products added to any young talent being bought and stagnating on top four benches has more to do with our slump than anything else. The FA bigwigs insistance that we should play big money spinners instead of giving experience to young hungry prospects has stiffled things. Id also like to see the same rules that apply to full internationals apply to youth tournaments, in the respect that if you are picked you turn up and if not should be banned from playing until the said tournament ends.

Some people ought to remember where we have come from in the last 3 years, to me it means that the system has been working and the club as a whole are gradually finding its feet in the top league, a much changed PL than when we left it.

Apparantly two years ago either today or yesterday we beat Oldham 6-0 away.

People who criticise Reed really must be pathological moaners, we've got a training set up which is admired everywhere, we've got a young set as good as any as their results show, we are building youngsters who actually want to continue with us (eg Shaw) what is there to moan about, the guy deserves a medal btw who cares what happened at Charlton years ago?

The transfer commitee consists of Nicola Cortese, Les Reed, Paul Mitchell (head of recruitment) and Nigel Adkins. Les Reed's job is to make sure that each level of the club is integrated and that the long-term plan is adhered to. It's in his interest for us to sign players who will have a future here and to avoid troublemakers who might disturb the way we do things. His role in specific transfers is probably quite minimal as he is neither a coach nor a scout with a great deal of authority on what we need or what's out there. Specifically who we sign is decided by Nigel Adkins and Paul Mitchell who represents the scouting team.

So there are four on the buying committee now, an accountant, a person with little experience in buying players (Paul Mitchell), Les Reed who has failed as a football manager and one who one of our most decorated footballers has no respect for and our Nige.

I sorry I dont have much faith in them purchasing good deals, prospects and bargains.

So there are four on the buying committee now, an accountant, a person with little experience in buying players (Paul Mitchell), Les Reed who has failed as a football manager and one who one of our most decorated footballers has no respect for and our Nige.

I sorry I dont have much faith in them purchasing good deals, prospects and bargains.

Right or another way of putting it...

The Chairman - you know the guy who runs the club, does the deals, and has all the money

The head of recruitment and scouting - you know the guy who is in charge of all the scouts and scouting network

The head of development - The one who is in charge the over seeing the clubs philosophy from u8's right through to first team

The manager - Yep that guy who runs the team

hmmmm, you have an interesting view sometimes!

But I am not a professional footballer, hold I still could get on the committee, what does Cortese know exactly of the game?

So you would prefer a him not to be on the committee and not have anything to do with our transfers. Do you not think it's his job to say - actually guys we can't afford him?