were you at the Dell

OldNick

LOL - benjii - can you tell us a bit more about the Speedie incident? I don't remember that one!

Sure...!

Haven't got a clue which match it was.

I presume it must've been during Branfoot, but to be honest I can't even tell you that 100%?!

Anyway, someone ran onto the pitch and sat down in the middle as a protest and David Speedie went ape and dragged him off by his neck.

Was very funny! Someone else must remember it?

It was home to QPR in 92/3 and yes, it was a protest about branfoot. I think one of the blokes may be reasonably well known these days amongst Fair Oak Saints fans (or anyone within 50 yards of him at a match), but I only heard it was this chap years later so don't know for sure. The fan went & sat in the centre cirle during the match. Speedie did not like it and grabbed him by the scruff of the neck. Which was about the only thing he ever did for us.

Duncan Holley has again emailed me back and has sent a copy of my request to Gary Chalk and he may be able to tell us more.

This is really starting to bug me so appreciate your efforts to find out.

My first game I saw was Aston Villa in 1975 (start of cup run) but I have no idea how long after this date the said incident took place.

I'll happily forget the wager of forfeit. The bragging rights will be more rewarding. :D

I remember the incident & seem to think it was about 78 not definite on that though. It was a real LOL moment.

Reminds me of the first game at the dell when they sponsored the League cup aka the Milk cup they put that huge milk bottle in the middle of the pitch, then unigate went around handing pints of milk in the cardboard cartons out. Then a copper walked behind the Milton goal & just as he got behind the goal there was a hush then almost as one the cartons were opened & he got pelted with open milk cartons & got soaked in milk now that was Funny as F**k. Needles to say they handed no more milk out again.

I remember the incident & seem to think it was about 78 not definite on that though. It was a real LOL moment.

Reminds me of the first game at the dell when they sponsored the League cup aka the Milk cup they put that huge milk bottle in the middle of the pitch, then unigate went around handing pints of milk in the cardboard cartons out. Then a copper walked behind the Milton goal & just as he got behind the goal there was a hush then almost as one the cartons were opened & he got pelted with open milk cartons & got soaked in milk now that was Funny as F**k. Needles to say they handed no more milk out again.

no it cant be as late as that.God if it was Ive got some humble pire to eat......there again if it isnt boy will you boys be on the end of a superior smile

Guest Hacienda
no it cant be as late as that.God if it was Ive got some humble pire to eat......there again if it isnt boy will you boys be on the end of a superior smile

I'm sure it was late 70s but the years sort of blur into one another when I try to remember back that far!

I'm trying to work out what's going on in the picture - it looks like Saints have a free kick on the edge of the area. But there's no sign of the opposition keeper?

Any idea Gecko?

I'm trying to work out what has happened to the roof of the Milton....!!! Like where is it ?

PS I was there too....

I'm trying to work out what has happened to the roof of the Milton....!!! Like where is it ?

PS I was there too....

there never was a roof on the Milton....oh yes there was...oh no there wasn't. Its doing my head in, if there was it was very late in the day.

I reckon the picture has been doctored. There definately was a roof on the Milton at the end. If you look, you can't see any of the seats....come on some one must know.

Nah. This was taken when they had it as a double decker type terrace with the family centre on the top level, before they changed it to all seater.

The Archers was made all seater before The Milton.

I have already said it, but will give it another go. Archers went all seater in Summer 93. Milton in Summer 94. Therefore, this must have been 93-4. Ground is packed, which means it would have been post Branfoot in that season as crowds were down till ball/Le Tiss took hold. Last home game we stuffed Villa 4-1 and I think the crowd was about 19000, and it was the last day of standing at The Dell, so many went to the Milton. And that away team could be wearing claret & blue (West Ham was a night match)

Also, though I don't think it is this incident, Villa had their keeper sent off and a player (Cox?) went in goal for them. think we only scored one past him, and that was Madda, who scored and was then chased by Batman who ran out of the away fans in Archers Rd to chase him.

And even sadder, that is from memory!

Can't guarantee that is the game, but it does fit in! If a pic was taken an hour or so later could be sure cos the Archers Rd goal would have a broken cross bar.

Nah. This was taken when they had it as a double decker type terrace with the family centre on the top level, before they changed it to all seater.

The Archers was made all seater before The Milton.

Blimey you are quite right, amazing how things get forgotten..

Sure...!

Haven't got a clue which match it was.

I presume it must've been during Branfoot, but to be honest I can't even tell you that 100%?!

Anyway, someone ran onto the pitch and sat down in the middle as a protest and David Speedie went ape and dragged him off by his neck.

Was very funny! Someone else must remember it?

His name was Steve, last game of that season he dropped down from the old family centre above The Milton to join the pitch invasion. I dont recall who we were playing either, but I was defintely there for both incidents.

For all thise who are still fretting about the event, I have the event on an attachment forwarded by Gary Chalk from Tim Manns. I couldnt open it up as my MicrosoftWord??? is not up to date. I can tell you that The RAF DOG TEAM did a display at the Dell against Birmingham at the Dell in 1973.

I will be back to you with the answer as soon as possible

For all thise who are still fretting about the event, I have the event on an attachment forwarded by Gary Chalk from Tim Manns. I couldnt open it up as my MicrosoftWord??? is not up to date. I can tell you that The RAF DOG TEAM did a display at the Dell against Birmingham at the Dell in 1973.

I will be back to you with the answer as soon as possible

Was definitely later than that, my first game was Channons testimonial in 76. Think the game was 77/78, and I thought was v Chelsea?