Virgin broadband in Southampton

Minty

Afternoon all,

About to move house again, and need to get broadband connection sorted.

Always used BE in the past and always been very happy with service, but don't actually need a landline, so considering going with Virgin to get 30 or 60mb cable (will be on Shirley exchange, so fibre is not yet available), and save money on the line rental.

Anyone else with Virgin in SO15 3 postcode area, or nearby? I know there were some problems in Dec/Jan with Virgin service locally, and that they're not known for their speed of resolution to such issues, but what do any of you who use them think of the service?

Ta.

I'm on the 30 (now 60) meg package and after a year with them I think the speeds are FINALLY pretty stable. There were indeed load of issues a while back with Southampton exchange congestion\over subscription which was only resolvable by switching to a different exchange by replacing the hardware. Which leads me to the quickly frankly shocking superdud router. Its slow and not up to the task according to techies who have analysed the hardware onboard. The Interface is slightly better now after a recent update but still pretty cack.

If you can get a good deal out of them then its properly an ok time to join now that they have made some improvements. If you go for the largest package though you might want to wait for them to change the supplied superdud

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Afternoon all,

About to move house again, and need to get broadband connection sorted.

Always used BE in the past and always been very happy with service, but don't actually need a landline, so considering going with Virgin to get 30 or 60mb cable (will be on Shirley exchange, so fibre is not yet available), and save money on the line rental.

Anyone else with Virgin in SO15 3 postcode area, or nearby? I know there were some problems in Dec/Jan with Virgin service locally, and that they're not known for their speed of resolution to such issues, but what do any of you who use them think of the service?

Ta.

Don't know about S015, but I've got a 50Mb connection going into an SO16 house. I only get the occasional complaint about it.

Thanks all - Liquidshokk especially, that's exactly what I had heard, including about the superdud! Suggestions seem to be to use it only as a modem, and to then use an additional router for the wired/wireless distribution around the house.

If the line is relatively stable I can overlook the poor customer service, because I shouldn't need them, and I could do with the speed...

BTW, TopGun, whilst I will obviously need the cable connection into the house, I don't actually need a 'telephone line' to get the cable broadband connection. Virgin do the the 30mb line for £22.50/m without a phone line, or £14.50/m with a £14.99/m line. Although with offers they have on at the mo, it is actually cheaper to get the phone line too for the first year (30mb broadband is free for 6 months that way.)

Just out of interest, what speeds do you guys get (i.e. using http://www.speedtest.net)?

Thanks all - Liquidshokk especially, that's exactly what I had heard, including about the superdud! Suggestions seem to be to use it only as a modem, and to then use an additional router for the wired/wireless distribution around the house.

If the line is relatively stable I can overlook the poor customer service, because I shouldn't need them, and I could do with the speed...

BTW, TopGun, whilst I will obviously need the cable connection into the house, I don't actually need a 'telephone line' to get the cable broadband connection. Virgin do the the 30mb line for £22.50/m without a phone line, or £14.50/m with a £14.99/m line. Although with offers they have on at the mo, it is actually cheaper to get the phone line too for the first year (30mb broadband is free for 6 months that way.)

Just out of interest, what speeds do you guys get (i.e. using www.speedtest.net)?

No worries...

Until recently my speeds fluctuated massively but speedtest.net reports 60meg pretty much everytime now. Just be careful if you have a ps3, because that will often report much lower speeds (often under 10meg) but I think that is a bug with PS3s and superduds. I dont find it affects gameplay though unless the connection drops when virgin are having issues.

I did try modem only mode on my superhub, and it did improve things when the speeds were fluctuating but now I'm consistently getting my maximum speed I have no need to use this mode and it saves you having to have yet another device using power or potentially developing a fault.

Agree with most of what Liquidshokk says. Although the question of modem-only use is worth considering. I've got a lot of LAN traffic going on, with several wireless devices and a nas to stream media, as well as network printers. Performance definitely suffers, so worth considering a separate quality router.

Agree with most of what Liquidshokk says. Although the question of modem-only use is worth considering. I've got a lot of LAN traffic going on, with several wireless devices and a nas to stream media, as well as network printers. Performance definitely suffers, so worth considering a separate quality router.

You make a good point! In fact so much so that I'm intrigued to try modem only mode again as recently connected NAS, and TV to superhub so might get better speeds with my D-link modem used previously. I have DD-WRT on it, which might handle everything better?!

Thanks all - think I may plump for Virgin then and see how it goes for a year. 60mb vs 16mb for about the same monthly cost - if the speeds are good and contention is low now, i think it's a bit of a no brainer. Might've been a harder decision if I had BT fibre available to me, but not til late 2013 for the Shirley exchange apparently.

I've got a d-link as well - dir655. Good kit, fast wireless, gigabit Ethernet, rock solid and dual band as well. Doesn't drop out like the super hub. Doesn't support dd-wrt, but very fast, so not sure it needs it.

Ah right. I have the DIR-615. Think i'll set that back up tonight. Also got a d-link 8 port switch that I got recently for 23 quid from Scan, which I may connect up but I'm almost going to need a cab with all that kit connected :)

Thanks all - think I may plump for Virgin then and see how it goes for a year. 60mb vs 16mb for about the same monthly cost - if the speeds are good and contention is low now, i think it's a bit of a no brainer. Might've been a harder decision if I had BT fibre available to me, but not til late 2013 for the Shirley exchange apparently.

Heard plenty of bad reviews of the BT kit so doubt there would be much difference ;)

Don't know about S015, but I've got a 50Mb connection going into an SO16 house. I only get the occasional complaint about it.

I'm also on Virgin in SO16 and have just been doubled to 60Mb. Haven't done a test since I've been on 60 but when I was on 30Mb, it was usually 25+.

I find that it slows down a bit at peak times but generally pretty good and very reliable.

Customer service can vary greatly depending on who you happen to speak to. Some of them are very knowledgeable but others appear to be just reading from a script.

When it works well, it works well. But when it plays up, it can play up for weeks and weeks and you can forget getting any support.

I did used to have BE, but could only get a max of 7mb (I go to the Shirley exchange as well) - so until Fibre is here, I've had to move back to Virgin to give me my speed fix!

They've recently upgraded my connection to 130Mb down, 15mb up. £34 p/m which I think is pretty reasonable tbh. And it has improved a lot since then, so I think it's safe to assume that a few problems I've had in the last few weeks have been down to the area upgrades.

Another note - use the Supurhub as a modem only. Ditch the router/wifi side of it as it's next to useless. I've got my ''superhub'' in bridged mode, and it goes through my own personal wifi/router and all works ok.

2488967561.png

Edited by S-Clarke

Does the virgin superhub have usb so I could plug in a hard drive for sharing? Cheers.

Nope. Although given the reports of how it copes with simple networking and wireless, I'm not sure i'd trust it with anything else...

All three of Asus' RT-Nxx routers seem to have had good reviews, and they look quite nice too.

I'm using an N16. Excellent router, but 2.4MHz radio only. It is solid as a rock, and lots of features. Also plug-in USB HDDs for network storage. I ran it on DD-WRT for a few months after I bought it, but it's on ASUS firmware now. I've got D-Link, Belkin and varous freebie telecom-supplied routers, but the ASUS is miles better.

Nope. Although given the reports of how it copes with simple networking and wireless, I'm not sure i'd trust it with anything else...

Not had any problems with mine running 2 wireless connections.

Also ran an ethernet cable from the router to my TV and used DNLA software to use my PC as a media server.

Does the virgin superhub have usb so I could plug in a hard drive for sharing? Cheers.

I REALLY wouldn't bother with the superhub, it is complete cr*p. I've still got the original modem/router combo and sent my superhub back. It looks nice, but it's bloody rubbish. Also, I don't understand the need for broadband bandwidth to be honest - I've still got the 10meg package and even though they've upgraded to 30 now, I don't notice any difference, but I guess I wouldn't - all I do is work from home, browse the web and that's it.

Just cancelled Virgin. Was paying for 60MG and got less than 1MG most of the time. Put up with it for 5 weeks with promises it would be fixed.

I live in SO15

Weird that you would cancel. They have had problems in Southampton for the last few weeks. I also live in SO15 and have had decent speeds.

Weird that you would cancel. They have had problems in Southampton for the last few weeks. I also live in SO15 and have had decent speeds.

After various phone calls with them promising it would be fixed by various dates the being let down, I had to cancel. It was stopping me working which I can't afford. Now I'm getting exactly what I'm paying for from BT.

• 2 weeks later...

Really useful thread, just wanted to quickly bump it as I've been looking to switch over, but I've been seriously put off having read some forums online. Anyone thats signed up recently got good / bad stories? I guess it would be the Eastleigh exchange as I'm in the hedge end / west end area.

i had virgin for 5 years (but not in southampton)

TV is not as value for money as sky

broadband was top notch...bar a few periods of down time

one thing I thought was utterly horrific with virgin was the customer service...you will be lucky not to get put through to delhi and having to spell words out and the other end having no idea what you are on about if they have to deviate from some sort of script.

Really useful thread, just wanted to quickly bump it as I've been looking to switch over, but I've been seriously put off having read some forums online. Anyone thats signed up recently got good / bad stories? I guess it would be the Eastleigh exchange as I'm in the hedge end / west end area.

I'm in Hedge End as well. Really solid performance on broadband, phone and TV. Not as much HD as Sky and can't get Sky Atlantic, but the On Demand service is much better. Some of the overseas customer service can be bad, but when I've dealt with the Scottish call centre it's been fine.

Oh, and ESPN is included.

I'm in Hedge End as well. Really solid performance on broadband, phone and TV. Not as much HD as Sky and can't get Sky Atlantic, but the On Demand service is much better. Some of the overseas customer service can be bad, but when I've dealt with the Scottish call centre it's been fine.

Oh, and ESPN is included.

if you get the biggest TV package with sports...right..?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, sadly all is not going smoothly - signed up in February and booked the install for moving day, 1st March. The day before I got a message to say it was being postponed until March 12th due to technical reasons.

Then got another message on Thu 7th March to say it was being postponed again due to them needing to get an area manager to look at the cabling in my street, because it is congested... estimated date for install therefore is now up to the end of APRIL.

Now, if there is a problem that needs sorting, fair enough. It's inconvenient, but needs to be done. BUT, why did it take until Mar 7th to tell me this, when I booked it nearly a month earlier?! That's not on, in my book.

So, not a happy bunny right now - may just have to make do with a mobile dongle for now, as the only other option is to cancel and sign up with someone else which might take at least a few weeks anyway because I'd need a new BT line before I can place an order with another 'conventional' broadband provider, and BT Openreach waiting times can be quite long too.

This line speed better be worth the wait!

Well, sadly all is not going smoothly - signed up in February and booked the install for moving day, 1st March. The day before I got a message to say it was being postponed until March 12th due to technical reasons.

Then got another message on Thu 7th March to say it was being postponed again due to them needing to get an area manager to look at the cabling in my street, because it is congested... estimated date for install therefore is now up to the end of APRIL.

Now, if there is a problem that needs sorting, fair enough. It's inconvenient, but needs to be done. BUT, why did it take until Mar 7th to tell me this, when I booked it nearly a month earlier?! That's not on, in my book.

So, not a happy bunny right now - may just have to make do with a mobile dongle for now, as the only other option is to cancel and sign up with someone else which might take at least a few weeks anyway because I'd need a new BT line before I can place an order with another 'conventional' broadband provider, and BT Openreach waiting times can be quite long too.

This line speed better be worth the wait!

They gave me all them bananas when I got broadband installed in my mum's place. If they give you any more boll0cks, just tell them if it ain't done in time, you'll go somewhere else.

It's amazing how much impossible stuff becomes possible. They tried to jip me on the 2nd installation date at my mums. I put my foot down. It got installed then.

Just speculating, but if they're anything like any other large business, they're probably a mess internally, are oversubscribed and don't want to pay overtime.

Put your foot down :)

I live in SO15 5 and have got virgin for broadband and phone. Not too tech savvy so don't know about routers, superhubs, etc. But after initial problems with the installation we now get regular 30 megs download at primetime evening use on a basic package. This appears to cope easily with 2 sky boxes, 2 TV's, 2 laptops, 3 phones and 2 tablets (don't know if that matters at all). Best advice I can give is get the mobile number of the Engineer that is called out to you as the Virgin support line is bobbins. We just gave the fella a buzz with any issues and he was there quickly. Been super reliable for about 12 months now. Good luck.