Team playing well under Pochettino: MYTH

Glasgow_Saint

If we go to Norwich, set up like QPR and win I guarantee you won't be dissapointed, and I guarantee you wouldn't call it a lucky win.

You would probably call it a tactical masterclass from our genius manager.

We won't, and if we did we would loose. We simply can't set up like that because our players aren't good enough at that sort of defending. Our defenders aren't good enough to defend under pressure for 90 minutes.

So QPR absolutely did not set up to make it difficult for us to break them down and didn't set up to defend and play on the break, it's just an absolutely coincidence that we couldn't weave our way through the gaping holes in their defence because we couldn't pass the ball 10 yards to each other so resorted to pumping it 50 yards instead. They abolutely didn't do their homework and realise we were vunerable from long diagonal balls between to full back and centre back. It was just coincidence that they attempted to do that. We are the only club in the world with a manager who plays any form of tactics whatsoever. Glad we cleared that up.

Oh and BTW i'd take a win against Sunderland, Reading and Norwich however it means setting up, even if it means doing away with our wonderful free flowing, unstoppable Saints to grind out a few wins which we need to make the champions league, oh no wait, to keep us up.

Yawn, typical rubbish from you as usual, you seriously have trouble reading, did I say they didn't set up tactically to stop us? No. All I said was that it wasn't a 'great away performance' as you put it.

Yes of course they set up like that and to hit us on the break. Did they execute it that well? No, did they have to play that well to get the win? no. That really clever game plan of long diaganol balls, so genius that they attempted it once. :rolleyes:

Had Saints played anything close to what they have done this season they would have won. As the above has posted we gave the ball away under no pressure at all. Only a handful of the QPR players actually bothered closing down during the game. Our decision making in the final third was generally woeful and we made it very easy for QPR to defend. Pucnheon and Lambert both slowed down play far too much, Lambert looked like he was trying to trap a beach ball. The result had far more to with Saint's inept passing and defending than it did to QPRs 'great' bus parking.

We won't go to Sunderland, Norwich or Reading and try to grind out results. We didn't go to Old Trafford and do it against a superior team and we nearly beat them, so why would we do it against teams that are similar levels to us? Our defenders make too many mistakes for us to try and set up to defend for 90 minutes. To get the 3 points at those palces we need to go there and try and win.

Edited by tajjuk

What a difference a day makes. In the space of a bad result against QPR suddenly we've got a team that can't play the system. Such a bunch of bedwetters, I only hope the team have got more spine.

QPR have a good team on paper and Samba was immense on Saturday. That alone snubbed out Lambert who is our single most important player in terms of creativity and goals. They counteracted us well - but that doesn't mean others will be able to do likewise.

Most worrying isn't our performance, it's whether this is a sign that QPR will kick on. If they do survive it is one more relegation spot to worry about (plus Redknapp will be a smug git).

Don't get me wrong, we are in a relegation fight, but we haven't become rubbish overnight. Bad performance: move on.

Remind me the win/draw/loss stats please.

OK, 6 games is not enough to draw firm conclusions, but it is enough to look for trends. i don't like the trend i am seeing. play "well" but don't score enough. Defend poorly and let goals in. OK, "possession", the most meaningless of all statistics (there was a game a couple of years ago when chelsea won away i think 5-0 in total control and comfort with less than 40% of the possession) might look good but realistically it is goals that count.

6 more games and the statistical evidence will be pretty compelling - wonder where we will be then...

What a difference a day makes. In the space of a bad result against QPR suddenly we've got a team that can't play the system. Such a bunch of bedwetters, I only hope the team have got more spine.

QPR have a good team on paper and Samba was immense on Saturday. That alone snubbed out Lambert who is our single most important player in terms of creativity and goals. They counteracted us well - but that doesn't mean others will be able to do likewise.

Most worrying isn't our performance, it's whether this is a sign that QPR will kick on. If they do survive it is one more relegation spot to worry about (plus Redknapp will be a smug git).

Don't get me wrong, we are in a relegation fight, but we haven't become rubbish overnight. Bad performance: move on.

...is the correct answer.

Remind me the win/draw/loss stats please.

OK, 6 games is not enough to draw firm conclusions, but it is enough to look for trends. i don't like the trend i am seeing. play "well" but don't score enough. Defend poorly and let goals in. OK, "possession", the most meaningless of all statistics (there was a game a couple of years ago when chelsea won away i think 5-0 in total control and comfort with less than 40% of the possession) might look good but realistically it is goals that count.

6 more games and the statistical evidence will be pretty compelling - wonder where we will be then...

Seems to be very similar to the start of the season. Playing well but not getting resutls.

The six games under Pochettino has only taught me that we can win against anyone, and we can loose against anyone. 5 points in 6 games is relegation form, but luckily the teams around us isn't that much better at the moment.

He's a genius and we are lucky to have him.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/hEl6nTPzxkuz0nQ8oIbFPw/Show/

The fact that he was b.loody useless in a league system that he understood well is supposed to cheer us up? As the quarter finals of the European League demonstrates that EPL is no longer the best league in Europe, it seems Pochettino may be a League 1 manager at best?

The fact that he was b.loody useless in a league system that he understood well is supposed to cheer us up? As the quarter finals of the European League demonstrates that EPL is no longer the best league in Europe, it seems Pochettino may be a League 1 manager at best?

This makes no sense.

He's a genius and we are lucky to have him.

http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/hEl6nTPzxkuz0nQ8oIbFPw/Show/

Pochettino managed Espanyol very successfully for 3 seasons and had them puching well above their weight and regularly caused problems for La Ligas big hitters despite constantly selling their better players.

There are many reasons behind the teams poor start to the season under him, it's not really to do with his style of football.

Espanyol fans love him and he's a very highly rated manager.

Of course you could just compare bare statistics from a very small sample size to make stupid point.

A stupid that I'm sure all the over-reactionaries on here will accept blindly whilst crying into their pillow.

Pochettino managed Espanyol very successfully for 3 seasons and had them puching well above their weight and regularly caused problems for La Ligas big hitters despite constantly selling their better players.

There are many reasons behind the teams poor start to the season under him, it's not really to do with his style of football.

Espanyol fans love him and he's a very highly rated manager.

Of course you could just compare bare statistics from a very small sample size to make stupid point.

A stupid that I'm sure all the over-reactionaries on here will accept blindly whilst crying into their pillow.

Too true I´m afraid. And being Manager of the year in front of Mourinho and Guardiola counts for nothing of course....

Glad to see those statistics prove me right... ever since the Wigan game (http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?43049-Sick-of-Possession-and-Pretty-Football) I could tell this guy is out of his depth and his playing style would land us in hot water sooner or later (sooner as it turned out).

Those statistics? Prove you right?

One poor spell after 3 success seasons? Get a clue.

Yeah, they came fifth that year. Sounds like he deserved that, as did MP.

And he was fairly successful at us during a horrible time IMO.

Spending massively on 11 new players to scrape into 6th with a squad that already contained Gareth Bale, Kenwyne Jones, Baird, Craine, Rasiak, Surman & Best. All of which would go on or already had played premier league football you mean? manager of the year one year doesn't guarentee success.

Edited by Turkish

Spending massively on 11 new players to scrape into 6th with a squad that already contained Gareth Bale, Kenwyne Jones, Baird, Craine, Rasiak, Surman & Best. All of which would go on or already had played premier league football you mean?

You are talking about....??

Bale, a 16 year old in his first year at the level.

Jones, talent but who needed much polishing in the game (and still do)

Baird, well for that level a good player (for PL not so much, helped us away against Fulham though this year)

Cranie, the one that never got anywhere

Rasiak, over the top going downhills career wise

Surman, good for that level

Best, good every 10th game

Lots of players go on to premier league, doesn´t mean they are any stars on championship level. And everyone of those but Bale is/were more squad players at PL level.

Those statistics? Prove you right?

One poor spell after 3 success seasons? Get a clue.

another myth! Espanyol didnt have 3 "succesful seasons" they had 3 seasons of relegations fights and defeats

You will not doubt counter this with "because he had to sell some of his player boo hoo"

another myth! Espanyol didnt have 3 "succesful seasons" they had 3 seasons of relegations fights and defeats

You will not doubt counter this with "because he had to sell some of his player boo hoo"

La Liga must be the toughest league if 8th spot is relegation fight.

Given where they were when he took over, and their off the field troubles (finances etc), surviving relegation battles was seen as successful though?

He was also challenging for Europe at one point, which is A) not a relegation battle, and B) quite successful.

If you are going to attempt to put words in my mouth, at least spell them right.

You are talking about....??

Bale, a 16 year old in his first year at the level.

Jones, talent but who needed much polishing in the game (and still do)

Baird, well for that level a good player (for PL not so much, helped us away against Fulham though this year)

Cranie, the one that never got anywhere

Rasiak, over the top going downhills career wise

Surman, good for that level

Best, good every 10th game

Lots of players go on to premier league, doesn´t mean they are any stars on championship level. And everyone of those but Bale is/were more squad players at PL level.

Short memory. Bale, Baird and Jones got big money premier league moves after that season, must have done something right, not quite the promising youngsters and okay for that level player you are making them out to be. Craine was highly rated at the time and also got a premier league move, he was kept out the side by the quite brilliant Pedro Pele, a £1m burnley signing last seen at Hayes and Yeading, not really sure why his career never took off. Rasiak scored 17 goals by January and was then bizarrely dropped, 17 goals in about 30 games, hardly a struggling player. Best was 4th choice striker then but also went to the premier league. I also forgot about Claus who played much of that season who had played for us in the premier league for almost 10 years add to that the £7m he spent on other players and you have a side that should be doing much better than scraping into 6th.

Edited by Turkish

Short memory. Bale, Baird and Jones both got big money premier league moves after that season, must have done something right, not quite the promising youngsters and okay for that level player you are making them out to be. Craine was highly rated at the time and also got a premier league move, he was kept out the side by the quite brilliant Pedro Pele, not really sure why his career never took off. Rasiak scored 17 goals by January and was then bizarrely dropped, 17 goals in about 30 games, hardly a struggling player. Best was 4th choice striker then but also went to the premier league. I also forgot about Claus who played much of that season who had played for us in the premier league for almost 10 years.

Getting a big money move doesn't exactly mean you are a great player though.

That said, I do think for all the money GB spent, he did underachieve.

Getting a big money move doesn't exactly mean you are a great player though.

That said, I do think for all the money GB spent, he did underachieve.

well two of them have gone onto prove themselves adequate in the premier league since they left and one is now a world class player so they were clearly good enough for the championship at least were they not?

Spending massively on 11 new players to scrape into 6th with a squad that already contained Gareth Bale, Kenwyne Jones, Baird, Craine, Rasiak, Surman & Best. All of which would go on or already had played premier league football you mean? manager of the year one year doesn't guarentee success.

To be fair, given his questionable sobriety, it's not a bad achievement... Other than that, yes, £6m spent and scraping a play-off place wasn't great.

well two of them have gone onto prove themselves adequate in the premier league since they left and one is now a world class player so they were clearly good enough for the championship at least were they not?

I really don't think Jones is any good. I thought 7m and john was good then, still do. we''ll have to agreed to disagree on that one old sport.

Besides, I was actually agreeing with you on the whole.

one day Turks, we will bezzas, I'm persistent, I told you.

Your end sentence says it all, when was the last time you saw a quality team in the bottom five at this stage of the season?

You have not so we are a team thats not brilliant, great or even average for this league, we have the money so why did we not spend it? West Ham are doing ok, Reading and Wigan have spent less than us and as have Swansea who have won a cup and are comfortable in the League.

I really don't think Jones is any good. I thought 7m and john was good then, still do. we''ll have to agreed to disagree on that one old sport.

Besides, I was actually agreeing with you on the whole.

one day Turks, we will bezzas, I'm persistent, I told you.

He's commanded fees north of £5m twice in 6 years and played near on 200 premier league games. He might not be the best player to every play in the divison but he's far from the worst and an established player there.

He's commanded fees north of £5m twice in 6 years and played near on 200 premier league games. He might not be the best player to every play in the divison but he's far from the worst and an established player there.

was surprised by both fees, but I'd imagine Roy Keane & Tony Pulis probably know more than me.

also, 200?!

really?! wow! surprised by that. maybe the premier is getting poor after all.

also, 200?!

really?! wow! surprised by that. maybe the premier is getting poor after all.

was surprised by both fees, but I'd imagine Roy Keane & Tony Pulis probably know more than me.

Or maybe he's just better than you think he is,

Shows that our transfer activity really wasn't that bad. And people saying they would take 6m for Lambert and wouldn't cost that much to replace him.

Fact is players are f*cking expensive to buy these days.

Your end sentence says it all, when was the last time you saw a quality team in the bottom five at this stage of the season?

You have not so we are a team thats not brilliant, great or even average for this league, we have the money so why did we not spend it? West Ham are doing ok, Reading and Wigan have spent less than us and as have Swansea who have won a cup and are comfortable in the League.

QPR, Villa, Stoke, Sunderland and Newcastle say hello to your Swansea.

All have spent more than Swansea and are doing a lot worse. All also have had more premier league seasons than us to build a squad.

I also love how manager of the year is downgraded (a whole season), but clearly Pochettino is rubbish fon the basis of 13 games compared to another 13 games under a different manager. :rolleyes:

Edited by tajjuk

QPR, Villa, Stoke, Sunderland and Newcastle say hello to your Swansea.

All have spent more than Swansea and are doing a lot worse. All also have had more premier league seasons than us to build a squad.

I also love how manager of the year is downgraded (a whole season), but clearly Pochettino is rubbish fon the basis of 13 games compared to another 13 games under a different manager. :rolleyes:

Over his glorious three years at Espanyol he had a win rate of 32.9%. To put than in context its slightly better than Stuart Gray had for us but not quite as good as Dave Basset and Dennis Wise. Oh and btw winning an award from a fans magzine can be done by anybody.

Over his glorious three years at Espanyol he had a win rate of 32.9%. To put than in context its slightly better than Stuart Gray had for us but not quite as good as Dave Basset and Dennis Wise. Oh and btw winning an award from a fans magzine can be done by anybody.

At the end of the season, Steve McClaren was awarded the Rinus Michels Award for Dutch manager of the season!!

Love him or hate him, the writing's on the wall for this man. It's painfully obvious our next three games will be three losses and his position will come under heavy scrutiny. He should consider himself lucky if we somehow manage to stay up. I for one seriously doubt he'll be in charge next season, whichever division we're in.

Love him or hate him, the writing's on the wall for this man. It's painfully obvious our next three games will be three losses and his position will come under heavy scrutiny. He should consider himself lucky if we somehow manage to stay up. I for one seriously doubt he'll be in charge next season, whichever division we're in.

So if we go down he is inept (actually sounds like you have decided this anyway), if we stay up he is lucky?

The guy can't really please you can he? Can't say that's overly surprising.

only here till the summer regardless according to journalists on SSN last weekend. explains the refusal /delay in speaking English and his underwhelming approach to important games!! what a mess! :(

only here till the summer regardless according to journalists on SSN last weekend. explains the refusal /delay in speaking English and his underwhelming approach to important games!! what a mess! :(

So what language has he been giving the substitutes instructions in? Or perhaps JWP etc. have learnt Argentinean Spanish?