Team playing well under Pochettino: MYTH

Glasgow_Saint

Nothing extreme about this view mate. After Wigan and Newcastle (despite major inner anger) I bottled my frustration and let him off the hook. Now though I've had enough as he's clearly been found out by other managers, is proving to be a one-trick pony, and the City game after I got over the euphoria was actually a major fluke. This guy is inept. We may well stay up this season, but he's not the man to take us forward and I hope to God that Nicola has another rabbit to pull out of the hat in the summer.

You did start this classic after one of Pinocchios defeats http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?42962-Pochettino-Tactical-Genius&highlight=Tactical+genius

FFS we lost at home to the whipping boys and bottom team of the division. If that won't make you turn against the manager what will?!?!?!?!

FFS we just won at home to the champions. If that wont get you behind the manager what will!?!?!?!?!

They don't want to be behind the manager, they won't get attention then.

err, I was one of MP's biggest proponents in the first few weeks of his reign. Suddenly now I get this craving for attention??? Wake up and smell the coffee Dibden, our manager is clueless.

And I could do without the attention, just can't do with seeing my beloved team given footballing lessons by mediocre sides week in week out.

And I could do without the attention, just can't do with seeing my beloved team given footballing lessons by mediocre sides week in week out.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it. Which mediocre sides have given us a lesson other than qpr since mp took over? The only others I can think of this season were under NA. Just saying ...

And just to point out if you don't like watching your team lose to mediocre sides frequently, you made a bad choice with saints. I've had years of it.

What we've gained in workrate and pressing we've lost in incisiveness and latterly under Adkins Prem reign, organisation. It's long been my fear that this would happen BUT it's only six games in under MP so it's too early to judge. FWIW, I'm seeing more positives than negatives at the moment, but only just. I don't remember Adkins' teams running out of ideas that much - we always had chances in games.

That QPR result was a bl00dy stinker, though. Completely unacceptable.

Well if you read my posts again a bit more thoroughly you will see that I have already answered his questions, some of them several times but the same semantic kept coming back, why should I bother to repeat myself all the time?

About your question. In one post I said that I believe we are staying up, that would answer your question if I think we will get the points in the right time frame....dont you think??

Searched through. No sign of your answer to Turkish.

As for me, so "in the long run" if we keep having lots of shots, we will be safe this season? Never mind if any are on target, if they remotely trouble the keeper, or we keep defending like under 11s. FWIW I am in the points are the best measure of how well we are playing camp, not shots statistics, but don't let me stop you. I will not be leaping for joy if we remain in trouble in 6 games time but have had a ton of attempts at goal

err, I was one of MP's biggest proponents in the first few weeks of his reign. Suddenly now I get this craving for attention??? Wake up and smell the coffee Dibden, our manager is clueless.

Sorry, you supported him when most people didn't and were still outraged at Adkins departure. And now the support has turned towards MP you now want him out?

You sir are a dissenter and not a supporter, bit we all knew that anyway.

We are playing far better now than in Adkins first 6 games this season, that's for sure.

Course we are. The Man City and Man U 3-2 games were real zzzz fests, just like the Aston 4-1 win -whereas QPR and Newcaslte were sparkling displays and a much sterner challenge.

Footballing lessons?

Let's not get what happened on Saturday twisted. We bossed possession, but didn't do an awful lot with it.

They lumped it long twice, and scored two goals.

Footballing lessons?

Let's not get what happened on Saturday twisted. We bossed possession, but didn't do an awful lot with it.

Don't waste the strain on your fingers replying to him. He's a clever WUM.

Footballing lessons?

Some might call it a great away performance, soaked up the pressure, minismised our threat causing us to resort to long humps forward which were mopped up by Samba and caught us on the break twice.

Some might call it a great away performance, soaked up the pressure, minismised our threat causing us to resort to long humps forward which were mopped up by Samba and caught us on the break twice.

I agree with this, but even still.......we're really not consistently being outplayed by "mediocre" teams week in week out.

It was a decent performance granted, I would stop short of calling it great, or a 'footballing lesson'.

Yeh but they would be QPR fans.

They had a pass sucess rate in that game of just 59%, even at 1-1 in a game they needed to win they showed little ambition. They routinely lost the ball and basically hoped for a f*ck up to get them a goal. They were timewasting as early as the first half.

We were sh*t in the final third and made a couple of errors, which with a slice of luck they punished us. It happens, same happened to Chelsea against QPR a few weeks ago.

Certainly was very far from a footballing lesson. No team has given us a footballing lesson. We've outplayed Utd, City and Everton under MP. We got undone by some poor defending at set pieces at Wigan (plus poor finishing) and some poor defending again plus generous refereeing at Newcastle.

this reuslt and performance was pretty similar to the loss at home to Sunderland. Neither game were we outplayed we just struggled to break down a very defensive team that got a bit of luck here and there.

Yeh but they would be QPR fans.

They had a pass sucess rate in that game of just 59%, even at 1-1 in a game they needed to win they showed little ambition. They routinely lost the ball and basically hoped for a f*ck up to get them a goal. They were timewasting as early as the first half.

We were sh*t in the final third and made a couple of errors, which with a slice of luck they punished us. It happens, same happened to Chelsea against QPR a few weeks ago.

Certainly was very far from a footballing lesson. No team has given us a footballing lesson. We've outplayed Utd, City and Everton under MP. We got undone by some poor defending at set pieces at Wigan (plus poor finishing) and some poor defending again plus generous refereeing at Newcastle.

this reuslt and performance was pretty similar to the loss at home to Sunderland. Neither game were we outplayed we just struggled to break down a very defensive team that got a bit of luck here and there.

I didn't say it we got a football lesson, i said it was a good away performance. Do you not agree then? They defended well, ensured that they were difficult to break down, never let us settle into a passing game really so we were resorted to playing into their hands by humping it long to Lambert who was dominated by Samba who is very good in the air. They were then ruthless and efficent on the counter attack and scored 2 goals. They played to their strengths and forced us to play to our weaknesses and into their hands. I dont see what else you can expect from an away performance by a struggling team.

It was a decent performance granted, I would stop short of calling it great, or a 'footballing lesson'.

I didn't say it was a football lesson, it was a great away performance from a struggling team. Certainly if we'd defended like they did people would be hailing the performance for our game plan and resiliance and dominante display from the centre halves.

I didn't say it was a football lesson, it was a great away performance from a struggling team. Certainly if we'd defended like they did people would be hailing the performance for our game plan and resiliance and dominante display from the centre halves.

I didn't say you did sir. It was reply to another post, that said we were getting footballing lessons week in week out.

Course we are. The Man City and Man U 3-2 games were real zzzz fests, just like the Aston 4-1 win -whereas QPR and Newcaslte were sparkling displays and a much sterner challenge.

We should have conceded 8 againts City, 6 against United, Villa we were **** poor first half, worse than against QPR last weekend. Whereas this time round we deservedly beat City, should have beaten United.

Similar to what we did against City opening day...

Not really, for one we lost and were in someways author of our own misfortune and could easily have condeded more, secondly how many saves did their keeper make? I can only recall one or two decent ones, in truth despite having lots of the ball we threatened little.

Really not too worried in comparisons. Adkins has gone. MP is here. Team is pretty much the same and playing pretty much the same way. When they are on fire they look awesome but too often we look lethergic and lacking in imaginations. People complained under Adkins that they were unfit and NA had no plan B. Under MP they look tired and people complain MP has no plan B. I love that phrase. People have latched on to it whenever we lose thinking they are tactical geniuses. In reality we see shape and tactics changing regularly through the game to try and find a way to break them down - occassionally even changing overall formation. If people can't see that then they probably need to follow a different sport.

MP is introducing a new traiing regime and some new ideas which will take time to settle. I'm as ****ed off as most about Saturday but we need to move on. for most of us. 17th place was quite OK this year. Still feel personally we will finish a lot higher than that.

Not really, for one we lost and were in someways author of our own misfortune and could easily have condeded more, secondly how many saves did their keeper make? I can only recall one or two decent ones, in truth despite having lots of the ball we threatened little.

But the theory of how were playing was the same. Sit behind the ball, soak up pressure, break and try to catch them unaware. The fact that City are more creative than us is by the by.

In reply to OP - NO, don't think there has been any 'major' improvement since MP came in.

Does that mean I think MP is a bad manager - NO

Think he is in same position now as NA was at start of season, he is learning about the PLeague and the players. In his favour is fact that the players were also learning at the start of the season but now they have a bit more experience as they were definitely improving under NA.

When season started NA didn't know his best starting XI and formation, and it took him a while to figure it out. MP was limited selection wise due to injuries but got good performances from SDavis & JRod when Lallana & Ramirez were out injured. Now he has almost a full squad to choose from, MP has tinkered a little and think sluggish performance against QPR was noticeable (subs were also a bit questionable)

Thats why I found it very hard to understand why the managerial change needed to happen.

Other than that - pretty much agree with assesment from Mowgli

But the theory of how were playing was the same. Sit behind the ball, soak up pressure, break and try to catch them unaware. The fact that City are more creative than us is by the by.

Prehaps, but they did it much better than us. Didn't see City resorting to long balls, playing into the hands of our giant centre half or have their left back head the ball straight to their striker inside the penalty area.

We're still on for 10th though.

10th? Such a Dell sized mentality. We finished 8th under Lowe and this was when we had no investment, we should be aiming for a top 6 finish. We only need to go on a run a bit better than Wigan did last season to acheive this as well. FFS

I don't remember Adkins' teams running out of ideas that much - we always had chances in games.

That QPR result was a bl00dy stinker, though. Completely unacceptable.

Wigan at home under Adkins was a very similar game to QPR at home under MP. A team we "expected" to beat at home, started brightly, but quickly ran out of ideas and defensive mistakes that killed us.

10th? Such a Dell sized mentality. We finished 8th under Lowe and this was when we had no investment, we should be aiming for a top 6 finish. We only need to go on a run a bit better than Wigan did last season to acheive this as well. FFS

Well you certainly told me.

When are we signing Del Piero?

We are playing far better now than in Adkins first 6 games this season, that's for sure.

A pointless comparison. May as well say we are playing better than we did in 2009-10.

The OP was referring to when MP took over it was because he was better than NA. For him, the players are no longer finding their feet in the PL, there are not any new players bedding in with their team mates or in a new country, and they are not struggling (as much) with a new language. All they are dealing with is a new (apparently better) management team, with new (better) ideas, new (better) formations, and new (better) tactics. oh, and limited English.

Wigan at home under Adkins was a very similar game to QPR at home under MP. A team we "expected" to beat at home, started brightly, but quickly ran out of ideas and defensive mistakes that killed us.

Sunderland was just as bad -and that was when we were supposedly on the up.

A pointless comparison. May as well say we are playing better than we did in 2009-10.

The OP was referring to when MP took over it was because he was better than NA. For him, the players are no longer finding their feet in the PL, there are not any new players bedding in with their team mates or in a new country, and they are not struggling (as much) with a new language. All they are dealing with is a new (apparently better) management team, with new (better) ideas, new (better) formations, and new (better) tactics. oh, and limited English.

If you think the OP is making a valid point then more fool you.

Two disappointing results in that mix

Were 2 of the games that Fox started

Assuming that many are arguing City did not turn up = having Fox was not an issue.

Answer to OP.

Judgement reserved until I have seen a fit Shaw & Fonte play a full 90 mins with Clyne & Yoshida

This happened earlier in the season and we conceeded 8 in 10 games if I'm not mistaken, and an unfit Boruc still wasn't our no.1 so if a couple of Kelvin and Gazza's errors had been avoided we would've had an impressive defensive record (of course not difficult after our start to the season). In fact at some stage I recall Clyne was a better option at LB and if it wasn't for Richardson's injury Fox would probably never have started any more games for us after Villa at home in the first place (where he was subbed at half-time in a 4-1 comeback win).

Speaking of QPR's goal I still don't understand why Fox went running to the goal line even before Boruc had committed. He could've easily put some pressure on Remy who had barely controlled the ball and took a lifetime to get a shot.

Surprising the short-termism of most of our Championship preseason signings. Apart from Cork none of them have really been up for it this season...

I didn't say it we got a football lesson, i said it was a good away performance. Do you not agree then? They defended well, ensured that they were difficult to break down, never let us settle into a passing game really so we were resorted to playing into their hands by humping it long to Lambert who was dominated by Samba who is very good in the air. They were then ruthless and efficent on the counter attack and scored 2 goals. They played to their strengths and forced us to play to our weaknesses and into their hands. I dont see what else you can expect from an away performance by a struggling team.

I didn't say you did, I was refering to the comment further up.

I wouldn't call it a great away performance. We settled into our passing game pretty easily and regained possession from them pretty easily. Our final ball was crap and our movement up front was poor but that had little to do with QPR. They defended ok, they set out to park the bus and hoped for something on the counter, which thanks to some poor defending they got.

If we had defended properly despite the poor performance we would have won the game, a simple ball over the top should have been defended better and Yoshida whilst a tad unlucky should have got the ball from Park.

Would you not be dissapointed if we went to Norwich, Sunderland, Reading etc and set up like that? No ambition, ten men behind the ball. I can understand them going to Chelsea or Man Utd and doing that but they needed wins and we are a fellow struggling team. It's fine to call it a good display in hindsight after they pick up a lucky win but they are unlikely to score 2 goals from 2 chances each week. Play the same way against other teams I can't see them picking up points.

Edited by tajjuk

I wouldn't call it a great away performance. We settled into our passing game pretty easily and regained possession from them pretty easily. Our final ball was crap and our movement up front was poor but that had little to do with QPR. They defended ok, they set out to park the bus and hoped for something on the counter, which thanks to some poor defending they got.

If we had defended properly despite the poor performance we would have won the game, a simple ball over the top should have been defended better and Yoshida whilst a tad unlucky should have got the ball from Park.

Would you not be dissapointed if we went to Norwich, Sunderland, Reading etc and set up like that? No ambition, ten men behind the ball. I can understand them going to Chelsea or Man Utd and doing that but they needed wins and we are a fellow struggling team. It's fine to call it a good display in hindsight after they pick up a lucky win but they are unlikely to score 2 goals from 2 chances each week. Play the same way against other teams I can't see them picking up points.

If we go to Norwich, set up like QPR and win I guarantee you won't be dissapointed, and I guarantee you wouldn't call it a lucky win.

You would probably call it a tactical masterclass from our genius manager.

So QPR absolutely did not set up to make it difficult for us to break them down and didn't set up to defend and play on the break, it's just an absolutely coincidence that we couldn't weave our way through the gaping holes in their defence because we couldn't pass the ball 10 yards to each other so resorted to pumping it 50 yards instead. They abolutely didn't do their homework and realise we were vunerable from long diagonal balls between to full back and centre back. It was just coincidence that they attempted to do that. We are the only club in the world with a manager who plays any form of tactics whatsoever. Glad we cleared that up.

Oh and BTW i'd take a win against Sunderland, Reading and Norwich however it means setting up, even if it means doing away with our wonderful free flowing, unstoppable Saints to grind out a few wins which we need to make the champions league, oh no wait, to keep us up.

So QPR absolutely did not set up to make it difficult for us to break them down and didn't set up to defend and play on the break, it's just an absolutely coincidence that we couldn't weave our way through the gaping holes in their defence because we couldn't pass the ball 10 yards to each other so resorted to pumping it 50 yards instead. They abolutely didn't do their homework and realise we were vunerable from long diagonal balls between to full back and centre back. It was just coincidence that they attempted to do that. We are the only club in the world with a manager who plays any form of tactics whatsoever. Glad we cleared that up.

Oh and BTW i'd take a win against Sunderland, Reading and Norwich however it means setting up, even if it means doing away with our wonderful free flowing, unstoppable Saints to grind out a few wins which we need to make the champions league, oh no wait, to keep us up.

Our passing was woeful last Saturday, very much out of character and under no pressure at all.

I can see a lot of changes in the summer so he can get in players which will work to his system, i reckon a new striker to replace lambert ( he cant play that spanish type of football, he has no pace) 2 new wingers and a right and left back (more for cover). Where we lack is quality in the final 3rd. We don't really have anyone who gets the ball and runs at the defence, that always causes problems. lambo has on many occasions had the ball clear with only 1 defender left but he has no pace to take him on, instead he waits for ppl to support him and by that time they have more defenders and move breaks down. I'm not saying that we get rid of Lambo, Punch and Lallana, we just need better players who can do something they don't and having them as options on the bench or replacements for injuries would be a lot better than what we have atm.

On a side note JRod has looked a lot better under MP. I think we should go 433 having 3 standard CM's, no playmaker types that would protect the defence a bit more, Cork Morgan Jwp would be my choice atm since i don't really get S.Davis but i would like a quality CM come in to play alongside Cork and Morgan. Oh and make Morgan captain.

On a side note JRod has looked a lot better under MP. I think we should go 433 having 3 standard CM's, no playmaker types that would protect the defence a bit more, Cork Morgan Jwp would be my choice atm since i don't really get S.Davis but i would like a quality CM come in to play alongside Cork and Morgan. Oh and make Morgan captain.

I think JRod was improving quickly under Adkins and that has simply continued. Massively improved player since the start of the season. I think he will become a fantastic player.

I can see a lot of changes in the summer so he can get in players which will work to his system, i reckon a new striker to replace lambert ( he cant play that spanish type of football, he has no pace) 2 new wingers and a right and left back (more for cover). Where we lack is quality in the final 3rd. We don't really have anyone who gets the ball and runs at the defence, that always causes problems. lambo has on many occasions had the ball clear with only 1 defender left but he has no pace to take him on, instead he waits for ppl to support him and by that time they have more defenders and move breaks down. I'm not saying that we get rid of Lambo, Punch and Lallana, we just need better players who can do something they don't and having them as options on the bench or replacements for injuries would be a lot better than what we have atm.

I agree with what you are saying but it shows what a stupid decision it was to bring in MP in January with a squad not able to play his system