Hampshire CCC Season 2013

Weston Saint

I've got to say I dont think it was that bad a decision 411 in 5 sessions. With Glos holding the upper hand I think it's only fair a target was set where they had a slightly better chance of winning, you cam't expect a team who has just svored 400, to then say,'ok lets make this an even contest' beggars can't be choosers. Bottom line is we are ****!

I've got to say I dont think it was that bad a decision 411 in 5 sessions. With Glos holding the upper hand I think it's only fair a target was set where they had a slightly better chance of winning, you cam't expect a team who has just svored 400, to then say,'ok lets make this an even contest' beggars can't be choosers. Bottom line is we are ****!

No target over 350 is the subject of a good decision. We need changes throughout the set up. Starting with Adams and whoever calls himself Director of Cricket these days. Recruitment is rubbish and coaching seems to be in the same vein. The first priority after last season's Championship campaign was bowlers,bowlers,bowlers but we didn't get any.

No target over 350 is the subject of a good decision. We need changes throughout the set up. Starting with Adams and whoever calls himself Director of Cricket these days. Recruitment is rubbish and coaching seems to be in the same vein. The first priority after last season's Championship campaign was bowlers,bowlers,bowlers but we didn't get any.

Yeah, but on the balance of the game we were getting dicked. Gloucester wete killing us, you cant expect them to let us score 100, declare, they then forfeit an innings and set us 300..that would be complete madness on their part Bottom line is we had a weakhand and took what we could get, other than playing for a draw. You can't expect a team to give us a sporting chance just because we are ****! We've got to become good enough to chase thse totals, rather than hope teams feel sorry for us.

Cough.......... MONEY!!!!!!!

Yeah, but on the balance of the game we were getting dicked. Gloucester wete killing us, you cant expect them to let us score 100, declare, they then forfeit an innings and set us 300..that would be complete madness on their part Bottom line is we had a weakhand and took what we could get, other than playing for a draw. You can't expect a team to give us a sporting chance just because we are ****! We've got to become good enough to chase thse totals, rather than hope teams feel sorry for us.

What we did was complete madness! There was never any realistic chance of getting 411. We would have done better to bat the first innings, get a couple of batting points and then allow them to set us a target in the final couple of session tomorrow. The fact that we couldn't win the last game was bad enough but this was much worse. Simply dreadful.

What we did was complete madness! There was never any realistic chance of getting 411. We would have done better to bat the first innings, get a couple of batting points and then allow them to set us a target in the final couple of session tomorrow. The fact that we couldn't win the last game was bad enough but this was much worse. Simply dreadful.

Mate its my last post but we are going to have to agree to disagree. On the basis that both teams want a result, if Adams goes up to the Glos captain and says 'allright mate you've kicked our arse all match, but how about we concoct a finish where you have just two sessions to bowl us out' the Glos captian is going to **** himself and tell Adams to **** off. The game then would have just limped to a draw. The important thing is Glos already had 400 on the board we were negotiating from a weak position, we took the best we could get without Glos telling us to do one, or simply deciding to bat out a draw. We are not a charity case...we are ****...there is a difference!

Simply do not understand some of the comments on here. Both teams wanted a win with one day wiped out by rain.

Gloucester batted for 3 and half sessions on a wicket that was drying out nicely. They scored over 400. This was effectively a second day wicket and you would have expected Hampshire to score 400 on it. They have done so this season on more than one occasion.

There was no pressure on Hampshire. They had more than enough time. They just batted poorly although Gloucestershire bowled better than we did!

So what was the alternative! Hampshire bat to get 250 to get a couple of batting points and avoid the follow on target...then declare(that would likely to be the end of the day 150 behind then let Gloucester score 150 in one and half sessions and set us 300 in about 50 overs!!!! That then depended if they thought they could bowl us out in 50 overs.

The decision by Adams was good for the game in play, gave us the best chance we might have and was supported by most I spoke to at the ground.

This was not a 4th day wicket, this was the second day and we have every right to think Hampshire could get there with their batting line up. They just played it badly with Adams convinced he did not get a touch. This guy is our top scorer this season.

I see that having bowled Essex out for 20 in 14.2 overs, Chapple & Hogg then in their next match bowled Northants out unchanged for 62 in 29.5 overs in the first innings and had them at 22-3 in the second innings - not sure how many overs they've bowled unchanged in the County Championship but the BBC website reported it as close to 60. Must be some kind of record?

Northants Chief Executive David Smith non to happy with the pitch

I think there is a problem with the pitch. 18 wickets fell yesterday, they've continued to fall today. Was this a good cricket wicket? No, it wasnt'. Was it a fair contest between bat and ball? No, it wasn't. This should've been a showcase Division Two game between the top two teams and it was not allowed to be. Was it the type of wicket I'd have expected to see at a Test ground? No, it wasn't./QUOTE]

Didn't Hampshire get a points deduction in the last couple of seasons for a pitch that gave up less wicket in a day than that?

I watched it on Sky - really poor bowling by us except for Tanvir. Poor Briggs looked very ordinary.

he probably is very ordinary, built him up into some sort of future Shane Warne but unfortunately it probably just all went to his head. When I read of a young lad barely out of nappies missing tournaments to get married I usually fear the worst and am not often wrong. Plenty of time to get married when you're 20 or 21 don't need to take time off cricket to do it. Then again that's just my opinion :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Window Cleaner

Dont want to curse it, but after a poor opening bowling spell, we pulled it back very well and now are chasing down their total very nicely. Decent weather, great setting, healthy crowd.

Off to the Oval to see England tomorrow. And then back there to watch Surrey v Hants T20 in a couple of weeks.

...oh crap, Carberry just gone. Doh

• 2 weeks later...
Extraordinary result - goodness knows what the pitch was like towards the end as Glamorgan just seemed to collapse. Anyway it's a second win!

Listening to Solent over the 4 days, it appears to be the usual "dead dog" of a track that Cardiff have produced for years. Like the current test strip but times worse. It continues to amaze me that it got Test status when ECB took the dirty Welsh Parliament pound, over the game in general.