Hampshire CCC Season 2013

Weston Saint

No one on the horizon. Very worrying as our present lot, other than Tomlinson, are struggling in the championship.

Not good news, this is probably the least effective Hampshire bowling line-up i've seen since the mid nineties. Briggs could make such a difference, but he just doesnt seem to be able to make the next step. My thoughts are that in the 4 day stuff he just doesn't give it enough loop. I think he's a genuine talent, but we are in a strange position where Wood & Briggs have been crucial in our 20/20 success ( where I imagine we make quite a lot of cash) but pretty innefective in the championship.

Hampshire are now 5 runs ahead and we are heading for a draw. Poor season in the CC.

match abandonned after a bit of rain, Hants were in no danger so I guess everybody agreed to call it a day. Poor season ? Very much as predicted. We willl get nowhere in 4 day cricket until we get at least 1 decent paceman (or a demon spinner). Then again I told you that at the very start of the season. What happened to that Bailey bloke ? was he just junk ?

Wow first time I've ever been able to watch Hants on TV over here. What a GREAT game of cricket. What a day to give up glue sniffing etc.

Hell, even Mrs DP was biting her nails and screaming at the telly for the last couple of overs (#omgthepolishareunderstandingcricket)

Bloody schedulers tho. Emirates had a sale that ended yesterday, yesterday a ticket to Brum was affordable, today it's over 900 quid. Sod that will watch in the pub with the dubaisaints either side of our game

Carberry, Vince and Briggs all called up to play ODI's against Bangladesh A (who our 2nd team beat on Tuesday) and will miss the YB40 game at Lancashire. :x:mcinnes:

http://ht.ly/nJRYF

Beat Essex today in a low scoring match. Second in their group, with a match in hand. But only 4 teams qualify from the 3 groups, so the game against Lancashire could be vital. :mcinnes:

Good win today. Club are looking to bring in a loan to cover for Carberry, Vince & Briggs for Lancs game. Watch this space as I am not permitted to say who but he is an experienced Englishman with a good 40 over record who is playing for a county who will not be qualifying for CB40 semi's. Early days yet and it may not happen!

Dimi Retiring at the end of the year. Really sad about this , I thought he had another two years in him, but his achilles has won in the end. Hampshire legend, probably second most decorated Hampshire player ( i think Ervine has

probably won the most medals) interestingly I checked Cricinfo & Dimi has taken 100 more first class wickts than Flintoff, at a lower average!

Dimi will be going home to Aussie at the end of the season and likely to seek some form of non playing cricket appointment out there.

With Durham losing heavily to Essex on Tuesday, it means that Lancashire game could almost be a dead rubber for us if we beat Surrey tonight, depending on how other results go, with everyone except Essex in action this evening.

A win puts us onto 16 points with two to play (Lancashire and Derbyshire, both away). Essex, Durham and Lancashire (16, 16.75 and 17pts theoretical maximum each, but they can't all get to those figures as Essex play Lancashire on the 26th) can all catch us, but would require us to balls up at least two of our remaining three games. Lancashire's a possible defeat because of our absentees, but no reason why we shouldn't win the other two.

Part one done and Surrey beaten thank to a great knock by Ervine.Unfortunately Lancs won as well (so they should against Scotland). Now praying for rain Tuesday in Manchester as one point will be enough with a game to spare.

Yeah, was expecting them to beat Scotland pretty easily. Durham losing to Derbyshire was something of a surprise so it's now between us and Lancashire, but even if we ended up losing both games I reckon 16 points might get us the best runners-up spot.

Yeah, was expecting them to beat Scotland pretty easily. Durham losing to Derbyshire was something of a surprise so it's now between us and Lancashire, but even if we ended up losing both games I reckon 16 points might get us the best runners-up spot.

Essex too: they can finish on 16 points with a higher net rr. Groups A and C have teams that could finish second on 16 points or higher. So a loss against Lancs could make the last match (against Derbyshire) a must-win. The bottom line it's ridiculous that England can choose players for a Mickey Mouse friendly from any of the 8 teams having a competitive match the same day.

Fortunately today Hants practiced winning without Carberry and Vince batting. :)

Well even if we win that was a pretty poor batting display by nearly everyone except Ervine. What on earth was Dimi thinking? But the damage was done before that. Poor decision against Mckenzie. We will do well to pull this one out of the fire - but it can be done with some real discipline.

We threw 3 wickets away with poor shots, what were Dawson and Wheater doing trying to play reverse sweeps when we had lost 4 wickets cheaply? Ervine was going well give him the strike but oh no they had to try and play stupid shots.

Dimi running out Woods was the end of us really.

How can an international bowler bowl soooo many wides...Tanvir was awful.

Wheater is a shocking wicketkeeper!

We need a main strike bowler next season and a decent overseas player not just a chance but proven overhere.

We threw 3 wickets away with poor shots, what were Dawson and Wheater doing trying to play reverse sweeps when we had lost 4 wickets cheaply? Ervine was going well give him the strike but oh no they had to try and play stupid shots.

Dimi running out Woods was the end of us really.

How can an international bowler bowl soooo many wides...Tanvir was awful.

Wheater is a shocking wicketkeeper!

We need a main strike bowler next season and a decent overseas player not just a chance but proven overhere.

Yeah got to agree with all those points. If Wheater is only going to average 20 with the bat, then it's a false economy to have him behind the stumps. Bates is possibly the best wicketkeeper in the country, get him back for f#cks sake. So what if he scores 10 less runs an innings.

He doesn't score ten less an innings, the distance in their average when we signed Wheater was only three! What a contrast in attitude to youngsters..Saints play three 18 year olds from the academy and Bransgrove ditches our young star. Why? Then he says he backs Pompey because of their greater respect for the past..it's the future we should build

First to call our performance abject is unfair. Yes they were disappointing but with about three overs to go we were still in the game. Our record in this competition is second to none. However it is a short game and difficult to pull back. We are the Manchester United of the T20 without expensive stars. even MU slip up at times.

I agree we need a top class bowler and the club have been trying but there is dearth of talent available. Tanvir, who I agree was disappointing in parts was the best available! Even he has left now to join the Pakistan squad.

Wheater is not in the same class as Bates but he is a decent wicket keeper. He is in for his ability to bat but so far has failed to impress. I would prefer Bates back in.

As for the comment of not playing the Academy players I think to poster needs to look at our side of late. Dawson, Vince, Woods & Briggs play regularly. Bates should make 5 out of 11!

Without Bransgrove we would not have a team able to compete in first class cricket at any form of the game and he is passionate about us competing in 4 day cricket. Money has to play a part, of course, but he still sees winning Div 1 of the Championship, his main ambition as Chairman.

The comment regarding Portsmouth was unfortunate and taken out of context. He is very good friends with Le Tissier, Benali and McMenemy. He is also friends with Mike Richards a former Director of Saints. He still loves Saints and has asked me to point out his band, Strapped For Cash has the initials SFC. He admires the idea of a football club being owned by the fans and as they are in the Hampshire catchment area he has always strived to be inclusive with them but that proved difficult in the past. He is uncomfortable with Cortese's way of doing things. He is delighted at Saints success to date.

Ok abject was a bit stong. The whole day set me back about £200.00 so i was letting off a bit of steam. Agree with the above post...except That Wheater is a decent wicket keeper. On the evidence i've seen he isn't. Hard to take when you got an amazing keeper kicking his heels. I actually hope Bates leaves...might make Hampsjire consider their strategy a bit. We are an amazing team. I doubt that any team in world cricket has done what we have done in 20/20 in last 4 years. Bransgrove is a legend, god knows how much money he's lost in the last 15 years.

Bransgrove is obsessed with foreign stars, even to naming a stand after Warne, completely forgetting our own history; remember some guy coming in for the one day final at Lords against Durham and getting 0-80 (never played again)while Udal was left out, Tanvir was as bad. As for Bransgrove being interested in the four day game, where's the evidence?

One stand named after Ingleby-MacKenzie, probably our greatest captain in the present era. Within that stand is a large dining suite called the Shaun Udal suite. The members bar is called the Derek Shackleton suite, one of our greatest bowlers. The nursery pavilion is called the Arthur Holt Pavilion. Arthur was a player for Hampshire & Saints but is remembers most for his behind the scenes coaching at Hampshire. Then there is the Robin Smith suite. All prominent areas of the club. Then there are the Barry Richards and Gordon Greenidge suites at the rear of the pavilion.

Warne originally had the restaurant named after him but our sponsors, Ageas, wanted that so in recognition of the fantastic years of Warne as captain the stand bore his name instead. He still comes to the Ageas bowl. He has been at least twice this season. I spoke to him after the Lancaster game.

Bransgrove is not obsessed with overseas players. He is obsessed with bringing in the best. He is very respectful of our history. Walk around the pavilion and Robin Smith suite.

As for his being interested in the four day game, I speak to him regularly. He is very pained by our present 4 day showing.

Carberry named in England T20 squad. Well deserved Michael

Worrying that his form has dipped at the wrong time though, should of been in ages ago.

He was the difference on Saturday - had he stayed even 5-6 overs we would of won.

Losing Carberry, Vince, Adams and McKenzie for very little was rare and cost us - Dimi

also had a shocker.

I agree to some extent about youth and academy but Griffiths has bowled twice as well as Tanvir and fielded

far better...well my dead grannie could of as well as she is faster than him.

Think Griffiths will be off in the summer - shame as he has promise.

Is the problem with overseas money? Losing Cork and Afridi should of set alarm bells and looking earlier as to me it was obvious we were 1 quality bowler short.