Hampshire CCC Season 2013

Weston Saint

that's it then total collapse, we went from about 170/5 to 199 all out, a lead of 142. In 4 sessions Essex will be able to knock those off with a stick of floppy celery (Boycott quote).

33-6 that stick of celery is looking a bit too floppy :-)

33-6 that stick of celery is looking a bit too floppy :-)

but Napier has the right stuff..........again.

Same old same old again then, had them on the ropes twice and couldn't finish them off. I despair of our bowling. Never anything new, just the same old hacks ploughing down the same balls all of the time.

Edited by Window Cleaner

but Napier has the right stuff..........again.

Same old same old again then, had them on the ropes twice and couldn't finish them off. I despair of our bowling. Never anything new, just the same old hacks ploughing down the same balls all of the time.

Not really 'same old'... last two games the whole team has played well. We dominated those two games. Yes, poor today (and even then only after we got 6 wickets down), but I would say 'despair' is a bit dramatic when considering all 3 games so far.

Not really 'same old'... last two games the whole team has played well. We dominated those two games. Yes, poor today (and even then only after we got 6 wickets down), but I would say 'despair' is a bit dramatic when considering all 3 games so far.

but it's not just this season, last season and the one before we had sides on the ropes and couldn't finish them off. Now I just see the same bowlers with the same problem. We need a paceman who can get wickets when there are none to be had...you know Andy Roberts or Malcolm Marshall type bowlers, blokes who send down unplayable balls on a regular basis. All in the IPL I suppose.

but it's not just this season, last season and the one before we had sides on the ropes and couldn't finish them off. Now I just see the same bowlers with the same problem. We need a paceman who can get wickets when there are none to be had...you know Andy Roberts or Malcolm Marshall type bowlers, blokes who send down unplayable balls on a regular basis. All in the IPL I suppose.

Ha ha Those two would be in most peoples top ten fast bowlers of all time! I think in these times of central contracts and IPL

Commitments the days of Hampshire having aworld class fast bowlers is probably over. I agree our bowling may be a touch light, but as was said above, it's only rain that stopped us having mav points after two games. We'll go up this year trust me.

Haven't seen a ball bowled yet but I'd like to know how the wktkeeper that replaced Bates is getting on, I've seen his batting scores which are reasonable but how is his wicket keeping compared with our own youngster, because that can make a big difference to the bowlers

Haven't seen a ball bowled yet but I'd like to know how the wktkeeper that replaced Bates is getting on, I've seen his batting scores which are reasonable but how is his wicket keeping compared with our own youngster, because that can make a big difference to the bowlers
Batting ok. Did well on Sunday. WK fair. Good stumping on Friday but also missed one. Has dropped at least one reasonable catch. Not a patch on Bates but ok. Batting is superior to Bates but the latter scored an unbeaten 179 for the seconds last week. He is pressing his claim to return

To be honest yes. You can't judge a whole season on 5 hrs of cricket..well you can..but you know what I mean! The only thing they may stop us is our bowling, but i'm confident.

And once again our woeful bowling is being spanked all over the place, it is truly abysmal. Should get a draw though thanks to rain

yesterday.

And once again our woeful bowling is being spanked all over the place, it is truly abysmal. Should get a draw though thanks to rain

yesterday.

Yeah fair to say this hasn't been our finest hour. Bit worried about Chris Woods. Thought he could have real potential. Seems to have fallen off this season.

Just watched that brilliant knock from Carberry on sky - why was there such a low crowd in?

TV county games are always poorly attended at the Rose Bowl. I think they need to revisit their pricing policy for day/night games, to be honest.

TV county games are always poorly attended at the Rose Bowl. I think they need to revisit their pricing policy for day/night games, to be honest.
Agreed, I find one off days at county cricket too high. Some counties charge £20 on the gate for a day of County Cricket, a lot of money all things considered.

Just watched that brilliant knock from Carberry on sky - why was there such a low crowd in?

that was his second good knock in successive 40 over games, got a very good 96 the other day as well (chasing 242). Trouble was

at the end he needed 4 for his 100 but we only needed 1 to win, went for a big hit at a ball that just needed dabbing down to 3rd man and got out.

that was his second good knock in successive 40 over games, got a very good 96 the other day as well (chasing 242). Trouble was

at the end he needed 4 for his 100 but we only needed 1 to win, went for a big hit at a ball that just needed dabbing down to 3rd man and got out.

Similar scenario last night, scores were level but he needed 6 to get to 150 (or 2 to pass his List A record score), this time he did manage to clear the rope though.

oh dear, our Championship woes seem to continue. Lancs tail wagged well again and they've made 295 after being 182/8.

In reply we've not scored in the first 23 balls and Adams is out. Hope Carberry can do his stuff again.

Unless the ball is seaming around a lot, and judging by the tail end resistence by Lancs it doesn't seem to be excessively, Hants ought to be scoring at 4 or 5 an over against that attack unless it's hooping around corners. Chappell was a good seamer 10 years ago but miles past his sell by date and Hogg is also very slow albiet that he gets a bit of bounce from about 76mph. Once the shine goes off the new ball, get on the front foot and if the pitch has any carry in it go forward and hit them down the ground, they haven't any pace to force you back. Riskier to play across the line against the lack of pace if the pitch a bit soft. Their spinners might make the ball sit in the pitch a bit but not a huge amount of turn to negotiate. Can't remember the last time Lancs had such a poor bowling attack, Balcombe and co would wipe the floor with them.

Luckily our tail wagged a bit too and the last two wickets added nearly 100 - but we still finished 40 odd behind them. Poor batting especially by the middle order. Now they're 27 for 3 - maybe we can get them all out for 150 leaving us to get 200 or less tomorrow.

Luckily our tail wagged a bit too and the last two wickets added nearly 100 - but we still finished 40 odd behind them. Poor batting especially by the middle order. Now they're 27 for 3 - maybe we can get them all out for 150 leaving us to get 200 or less tomorrow.

38 ahead on the first innings actually. For 4 day cricket I shall be more confident once McKenzie gets here, can't be too long now.

Poor performance in this match - we need to buck up our ideas if we are going to get promoted this year.

don't think we'll get promoted this season, our bowling is really too poor to dismiss sides twice. One day success is probably though because we're basically a one day side.

Actually quite confused by Lancs tactics today. I would have declared when 280 ahead. Would have had about 50 overs to try & skittle us.Pretty unlikely with no fielding restrictions we would have chased them down. It's not like they can collect extra batting points. Seemed odd to me.

Probably the best reason.

Nah, we would never have chased down more than 6 an over. They could have put 5 fielders on the boundary, 1 bouncer an over is ok, and there would have been no limits on overs per bowler. Leg-side balls are fine. Lancs missed a trick today. Even Carberry took the **** today..he was so hacked off he was doing impressions of other bowlers run-ups when he was bowling. They bottled it.

Actually quite confused by Lancs tactics today. I would have declared when 280 ahead. Would have had about 50 overs to try & skittle us.Pretty unlikely with no fielding restrictions we would have chased them down. It's not like they can collect extra batting points. Seemed odd to me.

It did not make any sense at all - they could have set some sort of unlikely target and might have won. The chances of us winning were very remote. I thought Lancs approach was very poor and hardly likely to bring the crowds through the gates.

It did not make any sense at all - they could have set some sort of unlikely target and might have won. The chances of us winning were very remote. I thought Lancs approach was very poor and hardly likely to bring the crowds through the gates.

Totally agree, I gurantee that Adams would have declared with about 3 hours to go. Mark Nicholas was the master of the late evening declaration, although to be fair he did have Malcolm Marshall. I once watched Marshall bowl Glamorgan out at Bournemouth on the last afternoon in about 30 overs.

Nah, we would never have chased down more than 6 an over. They could have put 5 fielders on the boundary, 1 bouncer an over is ok, and there would have been no limits on overs per bowler. Leg-side balls are fine. Lancs missed a trick today. Even Carberry took the **** today..he was so hacked off he was doing impressions of other bowlers run-ups when he was bowling. They bottled it.

All very probable. But the fact that we had d!cked them on Wednesday night stopped them from offering us any sort of target.

Totally agree, I gurantee that Adams would have declared with about 3 hours to go. Mark Nicholas was the master of the late evening declaration, although to be fair he did have Malcolm Marshall. I once watched Marshall bowl Glamorgan out at Bournemouth on the last afternoon in about 30 overs.

but there you're talking about a real bowler, one who could even get wickets on a feather bed pitch and if the batsmen were batting with barn doors. Our current side has no real bowlers, put all our faith into Briggs and now he just gets hammered about by tail enders.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/22690155

The England and Wales Cricket Board have suspended Hampshire's Glenn Querl and Gloucestershire's Jack Taylor because of illegal bowling actions.

Querl and Taylor have both been reported on two separate occasions within a 12-month period and have undergone independent analysis.

They displayed elbow extensions in excess of the permitted 15 degrees.

The pair are suspended in county cricket until it is proved they have remedied their actions.

The ban begins with immediate effect.

Querl's only first-team appearance for Hampshire this season was against Loughborough MCCU when he finished with figures of 1-20 off 10 overs.

Taylor, 21, has made four first-class appearances for Gloucester this season taking six wickets.

What has gone wrong with Jimmy Adams?

We are now on 129 for 4 - and Wheater seems to be having a go.

had a good start to the season I think but now our problem seems to be one day mentality in the top order. Although today we needed quick runs because of yesterday's washout.

The forecast for Friday and Saturday is good. I am showing my ignorance I know but who is Michael Roberts, currently 2 not out?

Had a decent season in the Seconds last year, scored a few runs, came from Minor Counties cricket before that, guess we're short on batsman because Bailey is with Australia for some competiton or other and McKenzie isn't here as yet.

They're 146 for 5 - it's heading for a draw unless something dramatic happens.

Yeah the only chance is we bowl them out tonight,the captains agree to let us score about 200 before lunch and then we give them two sessions to score 200 on a bowler friendly wicket.

Yeah the only chance is we bowl them out tonight,the captains agree to let us score about 200 before lunch and then we give them two sessions to score 200 on a bowler friendly wicket.

Northants have a comfortable lead in the division so i can't see that happening.