Hampshire CCC Season 2013

Weston Saint

Carberry named in England T20 squad. Well deserved Michael

Worrying that his form has dipped at the wrong time though, should of been in ages ago.

He was the difference on Saturday - had he stayed even 5-6 overs we would of won.

Losing Carberry, Vince, Adams and McKenzie for very little was rare and cost us - Dimi

also had a shocker.

I agree to some extent about youth and academy but Griffiths has bowled twice as well as Tanvir and fielded

far better...well my dead grannie could of as well as she is faster than him.

Think Griffiths will be off in the summer - shame as he has promise.

Is the problem with overseas money? Losing Cork and Afridi should of set alarm bells and looking earlier as to me it was obvious we were 1 quality bowler short.

Agree we were always one quality bowler short. I have not spoken to Giles White about it but I think they were expecting more from Balcombe. He has just not fired. Tomlinson has had a decent season but Griffiths, part due to niggling injuries, has not have enough time on the field bowling. Riazuddin is a decent bowler but as the extra bowler who needed to score runs as well. He really has not had the chances and as his contract is up in September he is considering his position. If it is not renewed I think he will move into different employment. In my opinion Woods will take the No 8 spot now Dimi has retired.

Nigel Gray told me the wickets were prepared a little differently this season to give Briggs more game time without losing decent bowling surface for the quickies. He has done ok and with Dawson's occasional spin we are ok in that position.

One of Giles Whites main problems is finding the right overseas player. He has got close to many in the last few years only to find their country finds another tour. Tanvir was all that was available! Money is also a problem....we don't appear to have any!

Next season I see the strongest line up as this

Adams

Carberry

Dawson

open

Vince

Ervine

WK hopefully Bates but likely to be Wheater for his batting

Wood

Briggs

Tomlinson

open - overseas bowler!!!

I spoke to Neil MacKenzie and although no decision has yet been made he has family commitments and if he did come back it would likely be no more than a month.

Edited by Weston Saint

One of Giles Whites main problems is finding the right overseas player. He has got close to many in the last few years only to find their country finds another tour. Tanvir was all that was available! Money is also a problem....we don't appear to have any!

Presumably because all of the county's (i.e. Bransgrove's) money is tied up in the various expansion projects despite the county appearing to have to offer all sorts of discounts to get anywhere near a sell-out for the handful of international games we get given.

All I can say is that the club put a business plan together in the close season which was approved by all parties involved in the development and Hampshire Cricket going forward.

Gates for the T20 were up this season partly due to the weather I am sure.

The crowd for the NZ ODI was about what was expected. The Aussie T20 is close to a 19,000 sell out and now that Carberry might be involved that will help.

Last I heard, about a month ago the Aussie ODI had sold over 8,000 and the club expect that to rise substantially.

Next years Test against India will be the real test. The Hotel will be finished and capacity about 22,000.

Such an important game and ECB see fit to pick three of our players for Lions against a team that ranks along side University teams! All three have featured in Lions games before. could understand it it was Wood. Rod Bransgrove is not a happy bunny. He was looking to strengthen the side with a loan, someone like Darren Maddy but that obviously did not occur

Brad Tylor has just taken a wicket in his first over :)

Glamorgan and Essex both won in YB 40 today, and Essex now have a higher net rr. So a loss against Derbyshire means we will finish second in group B (unless Essex v. Lancs is a washout). If we finish second, we can only qualify if Glamorgan in group C lose their last match AND one of Notts and Northants in group A lose their last matches (all of these 3 matches are against eliminated teams). All of this would probably be moot if we hadn't lost 3 key players against Lancs. :x

Current table:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/series/592757.html?view=pointstable

Glamorgan and Essex both won in YB 40 today, and Essex now have a higher net rr. So a loss against Derbyshire means we will finish second in group B (unless Essex v. Lancs is a washout). If we finish second, we can only qualify if Glamorgan in group C lose their last match AND one of Notts and Northants in group A lose their last matches (all of these 3 matches are against eliminated teams). All of this would probably be moot if we hadn't lost 3 key players against Lancs. :x

Current table:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/series/592757.html?view=pointstable

On the plus side Derbyshire are ptetty average so we shouldn't have too many problems. Fingers crossed

On the plus side Derbyshire are ptetty average so we shouldn't have too many problems. Fingers crossed

we seem to have made a serious start, 58/1 off 8.5 isn't so dusty. Carberry the man out for 20. Vince going well, Adams holding his end up as per usual.

edit Snail Adams now slowing scoring rate drastically, we've only made about 5 off of 3 overs.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Defending 219, could go either way. Essex are surely going to beat Lancashire, having posted 297/4, so if we lose, Essex would leapfrog us and top the group, and we'd almost certainly be out as Northants will beat Warwickshire (having posted 324 :lol: ) and Notts should chase down 196 at Kent, which would leave Northants as the best runner-up on 17 points.

Defending 219, could go either way. Essex are surely going to beat Lancashire, having posted 297/4, so if we lose, Essex would leapfrog us and top the group, and we'd almost certainly be out as Northants will beat Warwickshire (having posted 324 :lol: ) and Notts should chase down 196 at Kent, which would leave Northants as the best runner-up on 17 points.

if we can't get this Hughes fella out our season will come to a grinding halt, probably one of the most disappointing for a few years.

Although it may cause the management to reflect on the positive aspects of having decent bowlers. Griffiths what a knob, 9 ball over just gone for 14

Edited by Window Cleaner

We did not score enough runs. we have to bowl them out imo. Doing a good job so far with 6 wickets down. They might require over 7 an over now but they still have their 4 over power play!! Ah 7 down now as I key this. Carberry again

8 down now, PPs aren't much use when you're all out. Fortunately we got Hughes when we did, otherwise it was curtains for us.

Can't be any worse than Kerrigan tbf

:lol:

Poor lad even looked out of place in the celebrations

I actually thought Sky had secretly filmed my last two overs for Coombe Bissett CC a few years back.

Then I realised they couldn't have. My 24kph Moon Balls out of the setting sun took two (embarrassing) wickets.

One bloke apparently still has Back problems after swinging & missing 3 times as the ball came down with Ice on it. Rest of the lads went for tea during my 2nd ball........

:lol:

Poor lad even looked out of place in the celebrations

I actually thought Sky had secretly filmed my last two overs for Coombe Bissett CC a few years back.

Then I realised they couldn't have. My 24kph Moon Balls out of the setting sun took two (embarrassing) wickets.

One bloke apparently still has Back problems after swinging & missing 3 times as the ball came down with Ice on it. Rest of the lads went for tea during my 2nd ball........

Home to Glamorgan.....good chance of another final but don't think we have much chance against Notts who look very very good this year.

Can't believe we picked Kerrigan above Briggs....but glad in a way keep him away from Cooks captaincy!

Edited by Give it to Ron
wrong team!

Home to Glamorgan.....good chance of another final but don't think we have much chance against Notts who look very very good this year.

Can't believe we picked Kerrigan above Briggs....but glad in a way keep him away from Cooks captaincy!

Heard them talk about that on the Commentary. Briggs hasn't actually pushed for inclusion - only taken 23 wickets this season I recall them saying. But at least Briggs had been involved in one day squads before so wouldn't have done the rabbit in headlights thing

HAs anyone suggested what the logic behind that is? Why not the Fri or Sat?

They're trying to cram the entire tour into such a small period of time.

Full itinerary:

Tour match v Leicestershire - June 26-28, Leicester

Tour match v Derbyshire - July 1-3, Derby

1st Test - July 9-13, Trent Bridge

2nd Test - July 17-21, Lord's

3rd Test - July 27-31, Ageas Bowl

4th Test - August 7-11, Old Trafford

5th Test - August 15-19, The Oval

50-over match v Middlesex - August 22, Lord's

1st ODI - August 25, Bristol

2nd ODI - August 27, Sophia Gardens

3rd ODI - August 30, Trent Bridge

4th ODI - September 2, Edgbaston

5th ODI - September 5, Headingley

Only T20I - September 7, Edgbaston

So there's 3 days rest between the first and second Tests, 5 between second and third, 6 between third and fourth, and 3 between fourth and fifth. After two back-to-back Tests, they'd usually have a 9 or 10-day break. They're all going to be absolutely ****ed after the Oval Test :uhoh: