Oh Dear

TijuanaTim

Oh dear, why do we always seem to turn ourselves into a laughing stock?

Oh be fair Billy, most of the laughing was being done by us. Still makes me giggle to think of people checking it before the unveiling. "Yep, that's a fitting tribute to Ted. I always thought he bore an uncanny resemblance to Jimmy Krankie."

Whatever happened to the umpteen page thread? Did it get lost somewhere in the transition between servers?

A main 'soccer' site over here that lots of us use is the ESPN soccernet, this week's article of interest makes painful reading.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=597014&sec=england&root=england&cc=5739

Take it on the chin Tim. You know as well as i do loving this football club comes with all the emotions. Unfortunately lately the mood always seems to be low. Mind you it has to be said, the thread on dear old Ted Bate's statue was comedy genius, and i am sure Ted would have seen the funny side.

I am amazed no-one has published a book, using all the quotes, as it was easily the funniest thing i have ever read.

You absolutely couldnt make it up, could you!! Still makes me laugh. I just love the fact that Brennan continued to defend it and say how much time and effort he put in...if it were me I would say I knocked it up in a few minutes to try and save credibility, but hey!

I think we should get Brennan to do the Le Tis statue in a few years time. I'd willingly chip in.

:D:D:D

like someone else said...how on earth did it even get to the stage where it was on public display....surely someone had to 'sign it off'...hahahahaha

Indeed. It has always been my thought that someone should have stood up, before the unveiling, and shouted STOP..! Perhaps they thought they were too insignificant to halt the train of events. I still find it hard to believe that nobody, from the Saints Trust, who might have had even the slightest artistic merit about them, couldn't see that there was something amiss. Although, I understand, that they never saw the whole statue put together. And apparently, even the sculptor himself didn't see the complete statue until very close to the unveiling. But surely an odd face, very odd angled football-holding hand, very short legs and small feet, were enough giveaways, even in isolation..?

Indeed. It has always been my thought that someone should have stood up, before the unveiling, and shouted STOP..! Perhaps they thought they were too insignificant to halt the train of events. I still find it hard to believe that nobody, from the Saints Trust, who might have had even the slightest artistic merit about them, couldn't see that there was something amiss. Although, I understand, that they never saw the whole statue put together. And apparently, even the sculptor himself didn't see the complete statue until very close to the unveiling. But surely an odd face, very odd angled football-holding hand, very short legs and small feet, were enough giveaways, even in isolation..?

I always thought the "statue" was more a reflection on the uselessness of the Trust than the club.....

Who constituted the "statue trust committee" then?

The sculptor looks exactly like Biff Tannen

Edited by Window Cleaner

Worst still was that if its face resembled anyone it was Milan Mandaric, former owner of none other than Portsmouth, Southampton's bitter rivals. And that comparison was a genuine insult to Mandaric.

Why is that a genuine insult to Mandaric as opposed to Bates?