Lowe and Porto fallout ??

Delmary

Posted on The Ugly Inside forum

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=84048&piece=topic84048&id_categ=37

posted by patred on: 07:34 - 07/12/2008

I am getting very worried about some of the things coming out of our club in the last 3 weeks.

I have sat on this for a couple of weeks but yesterday some comments were made that could start a major crisis at our club.

This is not an anti Lowe tirade, believe me. I am genuinly concerned our club is about to implode.

3 weeks ago it was rumoured that Porto was going to be replaced by Wotte, and at that time this club did 'aquire' another coach from Stoke. He was bought in to act as Wottes assistant, so the rumour would have it.

At the 11th hour Lowe was supposed to have been persuaded by those close to him, to relent, giving Porto until Christmas to turn things round.

I took this all with a pinch of salt, that was until I heard about the sheningans of yesterdays pre match get together. I heard about this after the game, and seen this in print..

There were a a few 'selected' pressmen at the get together.

copied and pasted........................

Amazing fall out from the media gathering at Staplewood for the pre-chat regarding Sheff Wed. Off mic Jan Poortvliet confessed that he has recently considered quitting. He cited the ongoing interference of Rupert Lowe mainly but also being decieved with player sales.

Poortvliet apparently was very angry from not being told that both Surman and Lallana were going to be sold until after the deals where done. He said that Lowe told him in September that no more players need to be sold/let go and you can build the team with the remaining players. But he faces losing more than half of the team by next summer. Kelvin Davis, Wright-Phillips, Rudi Skacel, Lallana, Surman, Shneiderlin will all have gone.

As you all know I have always thought that this Porto/Lowe thing was ill conceived, and at best was touch and go as to whether we would survive this seasons championship.

But if it's true these two have fallen out, and mistrust each other, even that outside chance of survival is threatened. Changing direction mid season has never been a good thing, as we all know to our cost. But this club very survival is at threat should we have to get another man on the rudder. We have gone too far down this road to change now.

Whether we like it not, Porto and Lowe must get on, and they must be able to trust one another.

We, literally, cannot afford anymore in fighting, hiring and firing as we have done in the past decade.

http://www.clubfanzine.com/southampton/v2.forum.topic.bythread.php?id_t=84048&piece=topic84048&id_categ=37

I am getting very worried about some of the things coming out of our club in the last 3 weeks.

I have sat on this for a couple of weeks but yesterday some comments were made that could start a major crisis at our club.

This is not an anti Lowe tirade, believe me. I am genuinly concerned our club is about to implode.

3 weeks ago it was rumoured that Porto was going to be replaced by Wotte, and at that time this club did 'aquire' another coach from Stoke. He was bought in to act as Wottes assistant, so the rumour would have it.

At the 11th hour Lowe was supposed to have been persuaded by those close to him, to relent, giving Porto until Christmas to turn things round.

I took this all with a pinch of salt, that was until I heard about the sheningans of yesterdays pre match get together. I heard about this after the game, and seen this in print..

Amazing fall out from the media gathering at Staplewood for the pre-chat regarding Sheff Wed. Off mic Jan Poortvliet confessed that he has recently considered quitting. He cited the ongoing interference of Rupert Lowe mainly but also being decieved with player sales.

Poortvliet apparently was very angry from not being told that both Surman and Lallana were going to be sold until after the deals where done. He said that Lowe told him in September that no more players need to be sold/let go and you can build the team with the remaining players. But he faces losing more than half of the team by next summer. Kelvin Davis, Wright-Phillips, Rudi Skacel, Lallana, Surman, Shneiderlin will all have gone.

As you all know I have always thought that this Porto/Lowe thing was ill conceived, and at best was touch and go as to whether we would survive this seasons championship.

But if it's true these two have fallen out, and mistrust each other, even that outside chance of survival is threatened. Changing direction mid season has never been a good thing, as we all know to our cost. But this club very survival is at threat should we have to get another man on the rudder. We have gone too far down this road to change now.

Whether we like it not, Porto and Lowe must get on, and they must be able to trust one another.

We, literally, cannot afford anymore in fighting, hiring and firing as we have done in the past decade.

Some interesting reading that,particularly the bit highlighted above as this has been brought up several times before....

If Portvliet is going to able to work under Lowe he must:

a) Accept Lowes interfering.

b) Accept that Lowes ego means he must take all the limelight.

Anyone at SFC that doesn't know their place under the Lowe dictatorship will soon find themselves surplus to requirements.

Not at all surprising is it?

Whilst we have a cretin runninig the club who believes he could run the country, the world, never ever made a managerial mistake in his life - of course this will continue whoever is coach/manager.

No decent Manager will ever work with Lowe now. Until he is gone for good accept it, SFC is no more - hail Lowe Disunited!

This was on 606 forum last week.

if this is true then things are strained. I would like to point out that Patred is a great friend of Malcolm Webster who at about the time we are talking was allegedly put on gardening leave

Another example of control freak Lowe.

I'm really saddened by the depths to which our once proud family club has sunk under Lowe.:(

Saints is just not a nice club anymore and it's such a great shame.

Another example of control freak Lowe.

I'm really saddened by the depths to which our once proud family club has sunk under Lowe.:(

Saints is just not a nice club anymore and it's such a great shame.

I dont know why and so it is hard to say.I think the club would rather not have his wages.

I dont have the nice cosy opinion of Saints being a nice friendly club.It wasnt when i was a kid, the club was far from embracing the young fans then.

I dont know why and so it is hard to say.I think the club would rather not have his wages.

I dont have the nice cosy opinion of Saints being a nice friendly club.It wasnt when i was a kid, the club was far from embracing the young fans then.

Maybe you're right, but to me the club is just broken under Lowe. His presence just casts a dark cloud over the whole club. He's had his chance and over 10 years we've all got a good idea of what he's all about. His constant blaming of everyone bar himself, his greed, his arrogance, the sneering coments about fans who disagree with him, his ego, his poor managerial judgement, his vengeance. Basically he's such a divisive negative presence that he's a liability.

Maybe you're right, but to me the club is just broken under Lowe. His presence just casts a dark cloud over the whole club. He's had his chance and over 10 years we've all got a good idea of what he's all about. His constant blaming of everyone bar himself, his greed, his arrogance, the sneering coments about fans who disagree with him, his ego, his poor managerial judgement, his vengeance. Basically he's such a divisive negative presence that he's a liability.
without a doubt he causes divisions. To me he is the best bet for keeping us out of administration at the moment.I would love to win the lottery and get rid of the whole lot and let the club grow but I can see the way we are going may be ther best longterm.

The fans saying about winning at hime are 100% right.I would be happy for us to win ugly, but that is only short term.A team that knows how to play in an entertaining way that also also finds out how you win in the long term will be good.

I myself have yet to defend jan because i am not sure of his ability.I do know that he is a nicew bloke but I worry he is naive and instead of shutting up shop he leaves us open.

I have just seen Sheff weds goal and it was a soft goal. Did he bring on Wooton to close the game down or play it attacking right to the end?

I wonder if he was bullied as a kid

I wonder if he was bullied as a kid

Rupert Lowe was Andrew Cowens Fag Master at Radley. One can only assume Rupert was a kind and gentle Fag Master, but who knows how Rupert was treated by his own Fag Master when he was in short trousers.

Their first move, however, is likely to be to oust acting chief executive Lee Hoos and replace him with Andrew Cowan, once Lowe's fag at public school Radley College, and managing director under his previous regime

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-565444/On-The-Line--Souness-sights-Southampton-bid.html

if this is true then things are strained. I would like to point out that Patred is a great friend of Malcolm Webster who at about the time we are talking was allegedly put on gardening leave

Without a doubt there have been times when you can clearly see the strain getting to Jan, but that is totally natural when you consider what he has had to contend with. The shifting sands of our finances since his arrival has removed options that he would have liked to use, but has just had to get on with what is left. When you look at how the financial picture has compounded over the season it is hardly a surprise. First we can't sell on our high earners, then we can't even get them out on loan quick enough to reduce the wage bill, others are injured just holing the finances. Added to that gate receipts going down and we have the possibility of being lumbered with the high player salaries coming back in January. This clearly shows the worsening financial position of the club and something will have to be done to address the problem, otherwise the bank will pull the plug. If Surman and Lallana do leave, it will not be to increase profits, but to reduce our mountain of debt.

When you look at everything that the coach has to contend with and what lies ahead, I don't think many could stand up to that emotional buffering and not come out of it unaffected.

Lowe is instigating this without a doubt, but that is what he should be doing to try and save our club. The only reason it will be done is to avoid us going into administration. There will be no profit made from this, just a reduction in what we owe. If Crouch loved the club so much he could even go it alone rather than waiting for someone else to hold his hand. But as we know, that love comes with a price even if the club were to fold as a result.

I would take all this with a pinch of salt.

If there was a rift it would have found its way into the media.

This story has come from someone on BBC 606 forum. I have yet to see anything said on there about the club being true.

None of my contacts have made mention of it. I have been told the reason for MW being on garden leave but it would serve no purpose posting it here (no PM's please) as it might compromise the person who told me.

As for player sales, no one really knows who will have to be sacrificed. Certainly Lallana and Surman hope to stay, both have publically said they are happy. Davis likewise.

It is rumoured that Skacel is very contented at present and his attitude seems to be spot on at present.

Those at risk have to be Rasiak (on loan for the duration) John, Saganowski, Thomas (but he has a long term injury) and Euell. If we can offload some of those then our short term financial prospects will be a lot brighter.

Without a doubt there have been times when you can clearly see the strain getting to Jan, but that is totally natural when you consider what he has had to contend with. The shifting sands of our finances since his arrival has removed options that he would have liked to use, but has just had to get on with what is left. When you look at how the financial picture has compounded over the season it is hardly a surprise. First we can't sell on our high earners, then we can't even get them out on loan quick enough to reduce the wage bill, others are injured just holing the finances. Added to that gate receipts going down and we have the possibility of being lumbered with the high player salaries coming back in January. This clearly shows the worsening financial position of the club and something will have to be done to address the problem, otherwise the bank will pull the plug. If Surman and Lallana do leave, it will not be to increase profits, but to reduce our mountain of debt.

When you look at everything that the coach has to contend with and what lies ahead, I don't think many could stand up to that emotional buffering and not come out of it unaffected.

Lowe is instigating this without a doubt, but that is what he should be doing to try and save our club. The only reason it will be done is to avoid us going into administration. There will be no profit made from this, just a reduction in what we owe. If Crouch loved the club so much he could even go it alone rather than waiting for someone else to hold his hand. But as we know, that love comes with a price even if the club were to fold as a result.

I dont argue with that. Administration will cost us more than a highly paid scorer would gain IMO

That's one of the most ridiculous statements you've ever written.

Are you suggesting that a highly paid striker would cost us more than the total sum of administration :rolleyes:

No Weston it is the way I put it badlt. I meant as in points gained or lost not in financial terms.Sorry for the badly worded post

No Weston it is the way I put it badlt. I meant as in points gained or lost not in financial terms.Sorry for the badly worded post

We've had over 200 shots on goal this season, so it's not that we aren't creating the chances.

I would suggest that if a decent striker were employed who could have scored, say, ten goals so far, then we could easily have gained an extra ten points - and still had half the season left to gain an additional ten points.

We've had over 200 shots on goal this season, so it's not that we aren't creating the chances.

I would suggest that if a decent striker were employed who could have scored, say, ten goals so far, then we could easily have gained an extra ten points - and still had half the season left to gain an additional ten points.

That is pertinent.I would from my standpoint like to see Jason played up front to help the young lads up there.It would be the most cost effective and simple way of beefing up the frontline without taking on more costs.

I doubt that SJ would have scored 10 goals yet the same as the other 2 out on loan.In fact we only needed a goalscorer to have scored 5 to have got 5 or 6 more points, and so both routes could be correct.The safest way is to definately avoid administration and so not have the points penalty

Originally Posted by nickh viewpost.gif

I dont argue with that. Administration will cost us more than a highly paid scorer would gain IMO

That's one of the most ridiculous statements you've ever written.

Are you suggesting that a highly paid striker would cost us more than the total sum of administration :rolleyes:

Let's just explain how things work in the real world. If we lose the confidence of the bank, that is the end of the matter an in comes administration.

If we try and keep an expensive striker when it is possible to get his wages off the bill the bank will not support us. They will not be considering whether we are relegated, they will see a club out of control with little regard for controlling costs. So if we insist on keeping that striker the bank puts us into administration before he has a chance of kicking a ball, let alone scoring. Do you really think that would help?

Any other plc would have been placed into administration ages ago. I don't know what it is with the reluctance of banks to pull the plug on football clubs, but in nigh on any other industry it would be academic now.

Let's just explain how things work in the real world. If we lose the confidence of the bank, that is the end of the matter an in comes administration.

If we try and keep an expensive striker when it is possible to get his wages off the bill the bank will not support us. They will not be considering whether we are relegated, they will see a club out of control with little regard for controlling costs. So if we insist on keeping that striker the bank puts us into administration before he has a chance of kicking a ball, let alone scoring. Do you really think that would help?

Any other plc would have been placed into administration ages ago. I don't know what it is with the reluctance of banks to pull the plug on football clubs, but in nigh on any other industry it would be academic now.

Not true.

Norwich Union, the major secured creditor are still being paid what they are owed. No point them trying to wind us up.

Barclays - are they even a secured creditor? Even if they are they will have a subordinated priority position. No point them demanding repayment of the overdraft.

The most likely people to place the club into administration are not the banks, they are the directors.

Not true.

Norwich Union, the major secured creditor are still being paid what they are owed. No point them trying to wind us up.

Barclays - are they even a secured creditor? Even if they are they will have a subordinated priority position. No point them demanding repayment of the overdraft.

The most likely people to place the club into administration are not the banks, they are the directors.

surely if the bank call in or reduce our overdraft then the directors will be forced to put us into administration.

Don't buy it due to this line, as I have heard nothing to confirm that deal have been done, in fact I have heard the contrary.

Unless this should read "Poortvliet apparently was very angry from not being told that both Surman and Lallana were going to be sold in January", then I'm not sure there's anything in it.

surely if the bank call in or reduce our overdraft then the directors will be forced to put us into administration.

Yes, exactly.

But there would be nothing in it for Barclays if that happened.

Better to work with us (as they are doing) whilst imposing a cap.

I just wanted to make the point that it is not accurate to portray the bank as having its finger on the "administration" button as though it some sort of easily exercisable, nothing-to-lose option for it. It would be a last resort to force us into administration for practical business reasons, irrepsective of whether there are additional PR considerations by virtue of the borrower being a well-known local institution.

Yes, exactly.

But there would be nothing in it for Barclays if that happened.

Better to work with us (as they are doing) whilst imposing a cap.

I just wanted to make the point that it is not accurate to portray the bank as having its finger on the "administration" button as though it some sort of easily exercisable, nothing-to-lose option for it. It would be a last resort to force us into administration.

as long as we are up to date with cusoms and revenue we should be ok, at present I get the impression we are

Of course, none of this comes as any surprise to those of us who have grimaced at Lowe's activities since that sad day he turned up on the back of that f**king motorbike.

Poortvillet had an impossible job to do. And when he failed it was obvious Lowe would hang him out to dry as a scapegoat when the ridiculous yoof/shop-window policy failed AGAIN.

Feel sorry for JP, and sad that any of our fans think that allowing that arsehole Lowe back into our club will solve anything.

The post-match press conference was interesting yesterday.

Without prompting, and in answer to a question, Jan said how important Surman and Lallana are to the team, how the team is better with them, how he wants to build a team for the future around them, and how he would not want to lose them.

Jan was then asked how he felt about the financial situation leaving him facing the prospect of losing them in January.

At which point, the accompanying SFC press toady jumped in, and said: "He's not answering that, questions about the financial situation have been fully dealt with elsewhere, if you want information on that, it has all been explained on the club website."

The journo stood his ground, and said: "I asked Jan the question of how he felt about possibly losing players, if he chooses not to answer the question, fine, but I want to know whether he will answer the question."

It apparently threatened to blow up, at which point Jan gestured to the press flunky to chill, asked the journo: "Sorry, I forgot what the question was, can you repeat it."

He did, and Jan answered it, much to the annoyance of the press guy.

It was patently obvious to everyone there, that the press guy had been given orders to babysit Jan, and make sure he didn't say anything out of turn when asked potentially awkward questions. It's one of Rupert's oldest devices, to try and control the media agenda.

In fairness to JP, he doesn't dodge questions, but no doubt this was all reported back.

The press guy will probably get it in the neck for failing to do his job and prevent Jan from answering questions, and it appears that Jan will not be gagged when it comes to answering.

It's as sure a collision course as the Titanic and a big lump of ice.

Without prompting, and in answer to a question, Jan said how important Surman and Lallana are to the team, how the team is better with them, how he wants to build a team for the future around them, and how he would not want to lose them.

Jan was then asked how he felt about the financial situation leaving him facing the prospect of losing them in January.

At which point, the accompanying SFC press toady jumped in, and said: "He's not answering that, questions about the financial situation have been fully dealt with elsewhere, if you want information on that, it has all been explained on the club website."

The journo stood his ground, and said: "I asked Jan the question of how he felt about possibly losing players, if he chooses not to answer the question, fine, but I want to know whether he will answer the question."

It apparently threatened to blow up, at which point Jan gestured to the press flunky to chill, asked the journo: "Sorry, I forgot what the question was, can you repeat it."

It was patently obvious to everyone there, that the press guy had been given orders to babysit Jan, and make sure he didn't say anything out of turn when asked potentially awkward questions. It's one of Rupert's oldest devices, to try and control the media agenda.

In fairness to JP, he doesn't dodge questions, but no doubt this was all reported back.

The press guy will probably get it in the neck for failing to do his job and prevent Jan from answering questions, and it appears that Jan will not be gagged when it comes to answering.

More proof of Lowe the dictator....

Everyone who cares about Saints and uses this forum should read this post and then read it again. It will tell you everything about where we are as a club and who we have running it.

Thank you Florida Marlin - in one post you have summed up life at SMS under Rupert Lowe.

Rearrange these words

Kettle pot calling black.

No second thoughts I don't think you are intelligent enough. Still waiting for a post from you that has more than 30 words in it.

Manky is one of Rupert Lowes original rat pack, don't expect anything different.;)

I think this is very worrying.

Many of us had and still have misgivings about Jan Poortvliet's suitability to manage in this league but whatever your opinion of him he comes across as an honest man and very determined to make a good fist of a difficult situation.

I expect there to be a number of departures during January mainly because the players concerned have said they want to stay at SFC and Lowe has stated that players will only go IF they want which is a euphemism for the fact the deals have already been agreed at least in principle.

Where this leaves Jan is more difficult to predict. If we are in the bottom three then Lowe will sack him as the guilty party but if we are not, which appears to be more likely at the moment, will Jan quit when the players he was promised would stay in fact disappear. I think he will go in the realisation that it is not possible to have any form of relationship with Lowe as Lowe just cannot be trusted or believed. Regrettably we have been here before with rather a large number of previous managers.

I am working on the basis that we will not be in administration in January due to the income from the player sales. In terms of a replacement manager it would be Wotte as this is always Lowe's pattern of operating and he will not have a game plan for a replacement in case it becomes public before he or Jan does the deed.

What a dreadful state to be in.