Hampshire CCC Season 2014

Weston Saint

345 for 7 at tea.

We actually made some inroads with the new ball (I presume), got 5 wickets fairly cheaply but now we're being slogged about by their late middle order again. Same old same old,staid, poor bowling will get us nowhere again this season. We could even lose this one if we don't bat well from the start.

Run a ball century for Vince – carry on like this and he’ll be batting his way into the England team.

Good knock, we clearly needed to accelerate and Vince has done that for us this morning, pity we lost Adams when he tried to push on though, still Smith isn't so bad when we need quick runs. Need to get as many as possible by tea and then have a bowl at them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, among all the doom and gloom for sfc, Hants are currently tearing Leicester apart on the final day. Leics were set 360 odd to win, and at lunch have limped to 71-6. Great work from all of the strike bowlers this match so far. Hope the rain keeps off

Update: 74-8

Edited by Bucks Saint

This win was without Carberry or Dawson, two of our key batsmen, as well. Even Joe Gatting got some runs! :uhoh:

The way Vince is batting I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose him to the England team pretty soon – he’d be a big miss. Does anyone know how long Dawson is likely to be out?

• 2 weeks later...

Away from the trials and tribulations at SMS for a moment. I see that Hants are having another good game, 388 in the first innings, Derbys just avoided the follow on and Hants made a few quick runs to set them 340 odd. Thought we might be deprived of a result by the rain this morning, however all seems to be going swimmingly now as we have them at 51/6 with about 2 hours play left (barring rain/bad light). With Worcs-Surrey held up by the weather we might get some clear water at the top of Div 2 if we can get those 4 wickets.

Good to see us delivering some good performances in the Championship... as much as our one day success has been good to see (and hopefully continuing this season), I want to see us back in Div 1. 96-8 currently, looking promising.

Yep, disappointing after such a good effort to bowl them out second dig that the rain came back. Good news is that neither Worcestershire nor Essex and Glamorgan in 3rd and 4th were able to force a positive result either.

If anyone's interested (and not going) tonight's T20 game with Kent is live on Sky.

He can now he hasn't been picked for the 1st test.

Sadly, I suspect that’s the end of Carberry’s England career; I feel desperately disappointed for him. Having waited so long for his chance it seemed to me that he tightened up with nerves: some of his dropped catches and even some of his ground fielding was way below his normal high standards.

To be fair, his batting against the Australians was no worse – indeed, a lot better – than some of the usual suspects, and outside of the tests he produced some very decent knocks. It’s just a shame he couldn’t have turned one of his good starts in the tests into a big score in order to reduce the pressure he was under. Also, I think the article he did criticising the England management – justified or not – only served to increase that pressure.

Bit surprised that Vince wasn’t picked for the latest England squad; although, for Hampshire’s sake I’m not disappointed. To be honest, considering all that’s going on with Saints at the moment, I’ve given up wanting our players to get picked for England.

Was a decent performance against an average Kent side - apart from Key they didn't look much and only Bollinger looked to have any fizz.

Our batting looks good but again worry we don't have a cutting edge to take crucial wickets which was the problem last year as well

certainly at finals day at Edgbaston last year.

Disappointing crowd and think the bump up to £25 after 48 hours before a game is shooting themselves in the foot.

Many times I know people that have waited on the weather before going and another £5 seems a bit too much.

Right i'm completely confused. Bowlers like Abbott are like golddust at the moment, and our batting has hardly been struggling this year ( plus Carbs is back) so why rest Abbot & play Maxwell? I'm not saying Maxwell isn't geat, but this seems an odd move? Is Abbott injured?

Right i'm completely confused. Bowlers like Abbott are like golddust at the moment, and our batting has hardly been struggling this year ( plus Carbs is back) so why rest Abbot & play Maxwell? I'm not saying Maxwell isn't geat, but this seems an odd move? Is Abbott injured?

Probably due to agreement with South Africa to limit his appearances. We want him back in August after the 2 tests in Sri Lanka, so no point in falling out with them.

Worcester is a fast bowlers graveyard due to the winter flooding, so it makes sense to miss this one.

Probably due to agreement with South Africa to limit his appearances. We want him back in August after the 2 tests in Sri Lanka, so no point in falling out with them.

Worcester is a fast bowlers graveyard due to the winter flooding, so it makes sense to miss this one.

Oh fair enough, Cheers for clearing that up.

Abbott has been rested because he has played every game since he came. The thoughts were that Worcester would prepare a wicket to compliment their spin attack so we wanted to strengthen our batting and at the same time give us a spin option.

Abbott, although our overseas star, is low maintenance in the club and highly respected.

I spoke to his father on Thursday and although he has been called up by SA they are allowing him to stay a few days longer and will miss the first couple of days of the training camp prior to the test matches.

Dawson said he is progressing well and about 3 weeks away from recovery.

I spoke to Dawson's mum a few weeks ago over what I thought was an overlook as Vice Captain this season but she said when it was talked about he ruled himself out immediately as he wants to concentrate on his own game.

Controversial I know but I would have picked Wheater over Maxwell. Identical batting averages, but Wheater is here for the long term. I think how Hampshire manage the Wheater, Bates situation is crucial this year. I just don't think Wheater will be happy just being a batsmen in 4 day cricket, but I may be wrong. Maybye someone on here has some insight on this one?

Controversial I know but I would have picked Wheater over Maxwell. Identical batting averages, but Wheater is here for the long term. I think how Hampshire manage the Wheater, Bates situation is crucial this year. I just don't think Wheater will be happy just being a batsmen in 4 day cricket, but I may be wrong. Maybye someone on here has some insight on this one?
Wheater has already said he does not want to be a batsman but a wicket keeper who can bat a bit. He has done well and can count himself unfortunate but Bates holds the gloves at present but needs to keep scoring runs to hold on. Maxwell is in for his spin and lets remember he is an Australian Test Cricketer. You do not just walk into that side.

Wheater unwell (according to Kevan James on commentary).