The "Bubble" Has Burst

Gemmel

Bought fu,cking time someone challenged it properly. Bubble games are a disgrace as they basically treat all fans as criminals. Would love to see the back of them and for my money it ruined some of the fun of the last away game against the skates.

Bought fu,cking time someone challenged it properly. Bubble games are a disgrace as they basically treat all fans as criminals. Would love to see the back of them and for my money it ruined some of the fun of the last away game against the skates.

When you see hundreds tearing up the city centre in Sunderland or where ever, you can see why they do this

I thought the police has to sign off the stadium safety certificate for each game? If thats the case and they dig their heels in then the game won't be allowed to go ahead.

Nope, pretty sure the safety certificate is a matter solely for the relevant department of the local council.

Difficult one this. I'm no fan of the bubble but you simply can't argue that it cuts out trouble. Granted, it is also a real infringement on the rights of fans to travel to a game but I'd suggest that if football fans in such large numbers can't behave themselves then the bubble is a justified inconvenience. The Newcastle horse-punching fella just shows what sort of numbskulls the bubble was brought in to protect against. I don't like it, but I also don't see a better option for certain games. In this case it would seem that Northumbria Police have gone beyond that and refused to police games that are 3pm kick off and beyond, even despite the bubble. So I can see why the clubs are protesting.

The Newcastle horse-punching fella just shows what sort of numbskulls the bubble was brought in to protect against.

Except that according to the police the majority arrested outside of St James Park during those disturbances didn't actually go to the game, the same thing that happened at the skates when they had their riot after playing us, so it doesn't actually make that much of a difference.

Except that according to the police the majority arrested outside of St James Park during those disturbances didn't actually go to the game, the same thing that happened at the skates when they had their riot after playing us, so it doesn't actually make that much of a difference.

Well, it does

I bet if a bubble happens, the trouble drops dramatically. Regardless who goes

Sorry, but I believe it does. If there's that much trouble after the game with home fans only, what would be the effect with away fans chucked into the mix? Like I said, I don't agree with the principle of the bubble but I can completely understand why it was brought in, its simply much safer, especially for the away fans.

Northumbria police really have made themselves look like a bunch of muppets, claiming to have no influence on kick off times or the use of the bubble etc when clearly they have been forcing these things on the clubs. I don't see how they can object to future Tyne-Weir derbies kicking off at 3 or later as they have left themselves no wriggle room.

Could you bubble a game in london? No that would be stupid, but the only time I saw trouble first hand was between spurs and chelsea supporters.

They tried it for West Ham v Millwall in the League Cup a year or two ago - I think rather than force people onto coaches, though, fans were instructed to meet at a given tube station. Logistical nightmare for all concerned, and didn't really prevent it kicking off.

They tried it for West Ham v Millwall in the League Cup a year or two ago - I think rather than force people onto coaches, though, fans were instructed to meet at a given tube station. Logistical nightmare for all concerned, and didn't really prevent it kicking off.

Carnage IIRC, stabbings too from memory. Nice bunch!

Just been having a chat with a mate who is a copper about it. Hants constabulary can and do dictate kick off times, so assuming the rules are the same oop north then Northumbria have dropped a bit of a bollock there. However, ref the bubble trips, the police can also insist on that and if the clubs refuse they can just stop the match going ahead. So probably a bit silly of the clubs to come out with that statement.

Dissappointing, the bubble kept me safe down in portsea island 2 seasons ago, thought it worked well.

I guess those who'll be the happiest are the proper geezers who like a good tear up and Saints fans who live in Portsmouth or would usually travel by train/car to a game…

For regular football watching folk like me that like to stay out of trouble it's a bit dissappointing that it has been scrapped.

Dissappointing, the bubble kept me safe down in portsea island 2 seasons ago, thought it worked well.

I guess those who'll be the happiest are the proper geezers who like a good tear up and Saints fans who live in Portsmouth or would usually travel by train/car to a game…

For regular football watching folk like me that like to stay out of trouble it's a bit dissappointing that it has been scrapped.

You do realise should we ever play the blue few again (something which in itself isn't massively likely) you can go down by club coach right? Also in the many, many times i've been down by train i've never been involved in trouble.

What this does mean - i hope - is that people can choose their own transport to the game instead of being treated like criminals. And personally i love going down there by train since it's part of the day out.

You do realise should we ever play the blue few again (something which in itself isn't massively likely) you can go down by club coach right? Also in the many, many times i've been down by train i've never been involved in trouble.

What this does mean - i hope - is that people can choose their own transport to the game instead of being treated like criminals. And personally i love going down there by train since it's part of the day out.

Hmm except in the 80s they were lobbing bricks at the train. Not that I support the bubble or anything but it will be more risky and harder to police.

I know, I use the bingo bus for most away games…admittedly I've usually felt safe on the coach, but that doesn't guarantee safety, Leicester away in the cup in 2006 there were bricks thrown at the travel coaches.

I know, I use the bingo bus for most away games…admittedly I've usually felt safe on the coach, but that doesn't guarantee safety, Leicester away in the cup in 2006 there were bricks thrown at the travel coaches.

You aren't going to Basra mate. Sometimes I wonder how people ever leave their front door.

Hmm except in the 80s they were lobbing bricks at the train. Not that I support the bubble or anything but it will be more risky and harder to police.

Yeah that is true, but i really dislike the idea that because you don't want to go by bus you're either a holli or wannabe dead hard. For me at least i enjoy the drink, the laugh and the freedom of going down by train. It adds to the day.

Also i really don't like being told by the police were i'm allowed to go or not just because i want to watch a game of football. That's a police state if you ask me.

I know, I use the bingo bus for most away games…admittedly I've usually felt safe on the coach, but that doesn't guarantee safety, Leicester away in the cup in 2006 there were bricks thrown at the travel coaches…I'm sure there would be various missiles thrown by the blue few if we ever have to go down that sh!t-hole again to play them in the next few years.

Of course you should feel safe going to whichever game you want but it sounds to me like you're adding your own fear to the situation rather than the reality.

The honest truth is you can get a kicking going to your local pub as much as going to a game of football and i'd hate to think people lived in fear, to the extent they'd give up their freedom of movement,

• 1 month later...
Just found this article in the New Statesman. It is rather long, however it's a good read and lists many blatant instances of police heavy handed behaviour, even downright lies. http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/02/everyones-equal-eyes-law-unless-you-are-football-fan?

That is an excellent article that's well worth the read.

Yes, I've just read it too. Extremely disturbing but I suspect that you would struggle to find anybody outside football who cares about it.

Sadly that's the truth. The bit about "risk" fans does my head. You show me anyone who's been going regularly home and away who hasn't drunk with "risk" fans. Doesn't mean we want to get into a row though.

Yes, I've just read it too. Extremely disturbing but I suspect that you would struggle to find anybody outside football who cares about it.

I am loathe to side with Pompey fans, but the bit about a few hundred Skates being forced into an empty night club and kept there for two hours with no access to food or drink is absolutely disgusting - and based on nothing.