Should we rename St Mary's to The Liebherr Arena?

The Fat Controller

Now I haven't posted on here for a long time but continue to follow threads as a massive saints fan.i just can't hold back anymore and just have to say this forum is now riddled with complete t***ers who continue to mock and ruin any perfectly reasonable questions. It's just become a complete joke. For the record, Markus deserves every accolade he gets and deserves a statue or stand or stadium named after him.We wouldn't even have anything to talk about on here if it wasn't for him.Also can everyone get behind Katharina in the same way we did Markus.If it wasn't for her this chapter we have just experienced would also not have happened. I LOVE SAINTS and just wish a few more would show the same without stupid immature postings to get attention

+1 - well said - don't hold your breath though. Trouble is, some posters have learnt that the only way to get a reaction on here is to make a contentious statement and then it's a troll feeding frenzy.

But it's nowhere near where the Dell was. It's not the new Dell, it's a new stadium in a different location.

I know what you're saying, at the time I also thought it should be called the New Dell, but with the benefit of hindsight it wouldn't have been appropriate and St Mary's is the perfect name for our stadium considering its location and our history.

The Dell was called The Dell because it was in a dell: ie a small wooded valley with a stream running through it. The stream was exposed when a bomb fell on the Milton Road goal area during the war. The stream runs from the Common parallel with Hill Lane and into Southampton Water.

The Dell was called The Dell because it was in a dell: ie a small wooded valley with a stream running through it. The stream was exposed when a bomb fell on the Milton Road goal area during the war. The stream runs from the Common parallel with Hill Lane and into Southampton Water.

v.interesting tks. I didn't know any of that bout dell being wooded valleys + milton road goal being bombed (was it during match??). I am both educated + entertained by ur posts!

I guess the answer must be that perhaps the opportunity has gone by. Maybe if/when the stadium is upgraded as per the published glossy pics then maybe that would be the right thing to do. Right now I'd call for the Itchen to be renamed The Marcus Liebherr Stand - in fact they should have down it long ago.

I don't think it is the Liebherr way to have stadiums or parts of stadium named after them or even a well intended statue just doesn't seem to fit with the private people they are. If they suggest naming the training ground in memory of Markus then I would support it.

No.

Do our fans have no interest in our history? St Mary's ties in with the area as much as the roots of the club.

Exactly. What is wrong with these people? St. Mary's Stadium has been called St. Mary's Stadium since way back in 2001. We owe to the people who built the stadium to honour the name they gave it, may they all rest in peace. My great great grandad used to tell me the story about how he went along to the first game at the St. Mary's Stadium and how they all used to drink a thing called Bovril and eat KitKats - before they were chunky (unbelievable that back in the early days of St. Mary's, way back in history, KitKats were tiny little things! Amazing what they had to put up with back in historical times). People need to get a grip about this - we can't change 13 years of history and change the name of the stadium. It'd be mental to do that.

Was thinking a more realistic one not using that pathetic mess we had for the first bates one....

So where's the proper statue mock up then? I thought one of the more IT skilled on here would have produced something by now? At worst I would have thought using the ted bates statue template could have been used?