Why are we not running at defences like we used to?

Crispypie

Agree we have some times been getting behind Hull, but it just doesnt feel like games in the first half of the season when Shaw and Clyne were constantly running down the lines, Clyne on Saturday rarely ran forward. I just wondered if others felt the same, I know we need to mix it up, it just seems a little unbalanced towards try9ing to knock it over the top too early. Maybe its just me.

I understand what the op is saying to an extent. Although we are fantastic to watch in possession, we do tend to stop and pass backwards or sideways which is very frustrating. It's all well and good having most of the possession but it's goals that win games. The way we can dictate play and our passing ability should mean us battering sides. Rather than just keeping possession we should drive forward more and get a hell of a lot more balls in to the box. A lot of the time we are not threatening sides enough and they are happy to sit back and watch us pass it around. Although it has been a joy this season, we really could and should have won so many more games. Having said that this is by far the best possession team we have had in a long long time.

I understand what the op is saying to an extent. Although we are fantastic to watch in possession, we do tend to stop and pass backwards or sideways which is very frustrating. It's all well and good having most of the possession but it's goals that win games. The way we can dictate play and our passing ability should mean us battering sides. Rather than just keeping possession we should drive forward more and get a hell of a lot more balls in to the box. A lot of the time we are nceot threatening sides enough and they are happy to sit back and watch us pass it around. Although it has been a joy this season, we really could and should have won so many more games. Having said that this is by far the best possession team we have had in a long long time.

Possession is the first line of defense. While we have the ball our opponent can't score.....If our opponent can't score we can't lose. While we have the ball, we can create more chances. If our opponent cant score we only need to make one chance stick. If we have the ball more, our players get to take a breather between the hard pressing when we don't.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Possession is the first line of defense. While we have the ball our opponent can't score.....If our opponent can't score we can't lose. While we have the ball, we can create more chances. If our opponent cant score we only need to make one chance stick. If we have the ball more, our players get to take a breather between the hard pressing when we don't.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Bloody loon! Far to logical for this place. ;-)

I agree that possession greatly increases our chances of winning but there have been numerous times when we could and should have played the brave pass in the final third rather than the safe sideways or backwards pass. We could so easily have won so many more games when we have dominated possession.