View from West Ham..

Saint Garrett

Pal of mine asked me to do a Q+A for WestHamOnline.net. Will put a link up once it's been put up there.

EDIT: Article here: http://westhamonline.net/article.php?7233072||1||

Thought I'd do the same...why not? Could even make it a weekly feature as I quite like getting other fans views...

Thanks to my mate Woody for his answers - you can find him at https://twitter.com/woodstockiron if you want to give him some abuse!

1. What do you think of West Ham’s season so far?

It has been awful really. Every time we got a good win and thought it would kick start our season we go on a losing streak. Both wins against Spurs was awesome but apart from that we have been dire. It hasn’t helped that we have had loads of injuries though. We have now got most of the players back and starting to get on a little run. Hopefully we will stay clear of a relegation dog fight and have a good end to the season.

2. Your view on your playing style? Should Allardyce leave?

Our style isn’t great to watch and sometimes I cringe when Collins does one of his hoofs when there is an easy pass on. West Ham fans love to get entertained and under Fat Sam we very rarely do. Having said all that, while he has been in charge we have beaten all our arch rivals which hasn’t happened a great over the years (Spurs away, Chelsea and Millwall). I would love to see Downing and Jarvis both playing swinging balls into the box for Carroll to nod it home. Unfortunately for us they never seem to all be fit.

Trouble is that it’s so important we are in the premiership when we move into the new ground I think the owners are scared to get anyone else in. I would like him to leave at the end of the season and for us to get an exciting manager in. If we are going to sell out the new ground we need to see exciting football and I don’t think Fat Sam is the man to lead us out there.

3. What has happened to the famed ‘Academy of Football’?

There are still loads of players to come out of our academy. At the moment though they just don’t seem good enough for the 1st team our youth teams always seem to be doing very well. I also don’t think Fat Sam will risk a younger player in the 1st team. A new manager may well do though.

Noble and Tomkins are our best players and both out of the academy.

4. What do you think of your move to the Olympic Stadium? Would you rather stay at Upton Park?

I’m still not sure to be honest. I just wish we could move into a proper football stadium, I am so worried the view is going to crap and there will be empty seats. I do wish we could just replace the East Stand and make it 43 thousand as I think that’s enough for us but by what the owners say that’s isn’t an option.

There is no doubt the train’s links to the ground will be fantastic and deal for the ground (seems) a bargain. Fingers crossed it’s as good as the owners say and takes us to the next level.

5. What have you made of Southampton’s season?

Been an excellent season for you lot, with the amount you spent you would expect to be where you are. I just don’t understand the cup game last week? Why on earth does he play a weakened team when that has to be the biggest game of the season. In my opinion you had a massive chance to get to Wembley. If that was us I would be furious.

6. Opinion on Southampton FC as a whole? Likes and dislikes?

The youth at Southampton seems really good at the moment loads of young players in the 1st team which must be good to see. I thought it was a well run club until the owner/chairman left and some fat bird actually runs the club? All a bit odd if you ask me.

Dislikes – You fans seem to think you play like Brazil? Whenever I seen you play, you pass it around a bit but always look for a lump up to Lambert. Apart from that it always rains when we play you lot but a decent club deserve to be in the prem.

7. How many players from both clubs do you think should be on the plane to Brazil for England? If any, who?

Lallana is a good player from what I have seen so I think he should be in the squad – Would love Carroll to go, although your fans think he is a donkey I think he is a great striker. He works so hard for the team and always a massive threat. Needs a run of games though and if it wasn’t for that cheat Chico he would be on his way by now.

8. Do you think any of the teams outside of the “top 6” (Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton) will ever be able to compete for a Champions League place? If yes, how would they do this?

If another team gets taken over and spend **** loads of cash someone might. I can’t see anyone doing it though.

I know you have some dosh these days but players aren’t going to pick Southampton over Liverpool or Everton or even those ******s Spurs.

9. Which players from the Southampton squad would get a start in the West Ham side?

I would have Shaw and I quite wanted Lambert when we were after him. Would love to see him and Carroll up top together that would be chaos.

10. Score prediction for Saturday?

IF you have a full strength team I reckon a high scoring draw, If like the cup game I reckon we could nick it.

Good luck

Edited by Saint Garrett

Christ Lambert and Carroll up front together. Long ball anyone? Sturridge and Rooney sat bemused on the bench.

There's only room for one slow striker who is good in the air, and Lambert has the added advantage of technique, passing, set pieces and a cool head.

A cool head from one yard out? Lol Carroll missed a similar chance the other week from what I remember.

Every striker has missed that chance at some point, not going to judge someone on one game. Think Lambert had been very good before that, and no coincidence he looked frustrated and off form in a much weakened side. He probably saw it as his best and potentially last chance of a cup final.

If Carroll scores a couple of goals before the end of the season he'll probably go to the World Cup instead, but it'll be disappointing.

It was hardly Lamberts first poor performance this season TBH

Every striker has missed that chance at some point, not going to judge someone on one game. Think Lambert had been very good before that, and no coincidence he looked frustrated and off form in a much weakened side. He probably saw it as his best and potentially last chance of a cup final.

If Carroll scores a couple of goals before the end of the season he'll probably go to the World Cup instead, but it'll be disappointing.

Apart from the 2nd half against Fulham, he has largely struggled -he's not as poor as he was around Xmas (he's not as slow to the ball) but he's still not firing either.

As far as chances go, he really should have buried his first against Hull the other night.

It was hardly Lamberts first poor performance this season TBH

He hasn't been as bad as most on here are making out lately. Been a sturdy increase in misplaced passes from him, sure, but he pops up all over the pitch during a match and more importantly pops up with a moment of magic every now and again. Brilliant work ethic and commitment to winning the ball and always trying to do something productive with it.

He hasn't been as bad as most on here are making out lately. Been a sturdy increase in misplaced passes from him, sure, but he pops up all over the pitch during a match and more importantly pops up with a moment of magic every now and again. Brilliant work ethic and commitment to winning the ball and always trying to do something productive with it.

Not slagging the man off, nor his workrate

He just isnt as effective, or certainly hasnt been under MoPos stewardship. For me an issue with the system

Not slagging the man off, nor his workrate

He just isnt as effective, or certainly hasnt been under MoPos stewardship. For me an issue with the system

I probably should have worded that less defensively! Wasn't really aimed at you per sé, your comment was just what got me thinking.

I agree he hasn't been as "effective" under MP, but think that is relative to his role in the the squad, which I think has changed in the last year.

On their mongboard they ask the posters what they'd like to ask the opposition fans and then they chose the best ones so some are serious, some not. I did ours for the game at SMS last season. Garrett, you should have opened it up to us. I'd have liked to have asked

Does west ham notorious firm, which claims to be undefeated in 30 years still have an American student as its top boy?

You used to have a reputation for producing great footballers, these days you have a reputation for producing utter dinlows as fans, how do you feel most of football now dubs you the academy of c*nts?

Which is more embarrassing the bubble machine or Alfie moon being a fan?

Edited by Turkish

Noble is a good player and is West ham through and through. I hope he stays there long after Sam tries too ruin him. He is like Lallana is to us. I like players who put the effort in and love playing for their club. It shines through whether you are a fan of the club or not.

Noble is a good player and is West ham through and through. I hope he stays there long after Sam tries too ruin him. He is like Lallana is to us. I like players who put the effort in and love playing for their club. It shines through whether you are a fan of the club or not.

Good player.

He's hardly the Cockney Pirlo or whatever those divs call him. And he's not better than Lallana as many of their lot claim.

Yup when he moved back into the midfield he looked good against the worst opposition this year.

Not a singke assist and only 1 goal against any of the top 10 teams is telling.

our record against the top teams is pretty poor. only 2 wins against the top 12 sides. We're good at seeing off the weaker sides, not so good at getting results against the better teams. I'm sure i'll be accused of cherry picking but that's how it is.

our record against the top teams is pretty poor. only 2 wins against the top 12 sides. We're good at seeing off the weaker sides, not so good at getting results against the better teams. I'm sure i'll be accused of cherry picking but that's how it is.

As long as we keep seeing off the weaker sides then we'll be ok. We can still pull off the odd shock result and maintain our premier status.

Only you could think we can still get relegated!

I don't think we will get relegated, but I don't like to tempt fate. In other words, I will wait until we are over the 40 point line before I open the 'special' Tanglefoot. I know what you say makes sense, 'we are safe' etc but as I said, I will wait until we are over the 40 point mark.

I don't think we will get relegated, but I don't like to tempt fate. In other words, I will wait until we are over the 40 point line before I open the 'special' Tanglefoot. I know what you say makes sense, 'we are safe' etc but as I said, I will wait until we are over the 40 point mark.

You can go down on more than 40 pts -what makes you think 42 will eve be safety?

I really dont think its most at all. Lambert has remained the hub of all the good things that we do going forward. In the game at Fulham he got good support for all the work he does but HE played exactly the same in that game as he always does. Some people just don't rate players who dont race about at breakneck speed. They've got 'pace' like Johno Quick.

Out of interest, how did you work that one out? Is there a specific equation?

Took average points per game of Sunderland(in final relegation spot) and multiplied by 38(games in season.) Calculated that mathematically Sunderland will have 36.48 points by the end of the season(rounded to 36) and mathematically would also be the last team relegated. Any team would need to mathematically have 37 points to escape relegation.

Took average points per game of Sunderland(in final relegation spot) and multiplied by 38(games in season.) Calculated that mathematically Sunderland will have 36.48 points by the end of the season(rounded to 36) and mathematically would also be the last team relegated. Any team would need to mathematically have 37 points to escape relegation.

Oh, ok. I just wondered if you had used some sort of equation involving all remaining fixtures and all possible outcomes given the sides that had to play each other, resulting in a mathematically safe points total. That seems fiendishly complicated, and I couldn't find anything along those lines, but I suppose it ought to be possible. Your Sunderland example assumes that they will continue on their previous form this season, which may not turn out to be the case? I mean, they could suddenly increase their win ratio?

That is not really mathmatically safe in the accepted sense - ie impossible, mathmatically - but who cares.

We've been safe since New Years day.

That is not really mathmatically safe in the accepted sense - ie impossible, mathmatically - but who cares.

We've been safe since New Years day.

Agree entirely, but it's an interesting point. There must be some way of feeding all remaining fixtures into an equation, with all possible outcomes, and ending with a final minimum points figure which would guarantee safety regardless of what else happens. I'm hopeless at maths, maybe we should ask Bletch ;)