The Saint who Sinned

Fitzhugh Fella

I found much to interest and amuse in that article duncan, but if you don't mind me saying i sometimes got a bit lost amongst all the stuff about his extended family, of whom i care little.

I particularly liked these aspects!

On October 23, 1906, an ex-Southampton footballer walked into Cumnock Police station in Ayrshire and quietly informed the on-duty sergeant that he had just cut his wife’s throat. He had always been prone to rash behaviour, including sticking his hand into a fire, jumping through the local constable’s front window and having unprotected sex in gosport.

The marriage produced four sons; Alexander, born in Kent in 1900 (by then, his father was playing for Dartford), identical twins, Gerald and Terence, born in Southampton in 1902, and finally Adrian, who arrived two years later (November 23)

two of them still post on here I expect

I found much to interest and amuse in that article duncan, but if you don't mind me saying i sometimes got a bit lost amongst all the stuff about his extended family, of whom i care little.

I particularly liked these aspects!

On October 23, 1906, an ex-Southampton footballer walked into Cumnock Police station in Ayrshire and quietly informed the on-duty sergeant that he had just cut his wife’s throat. He had always been prone to rash behaviour, including sticking his hand into a fire, jumping through the local constable’s front window and having unprotected sex in gosport.

That is an infinitely better opening line but I wrote the article in conjunction with his great grand daughter and not sure she would have approved :)

Gotcha, tough to write these tabloid exposés with the family lawyer sitting on ur shoulder. You did get a few good ones past the censor though i thought.

This would also explain the morbid fascination with the exact names and addresses of the guy's second cousins or whatever. I dare say GGD got a kick seeing her extended family connections writ big.

was that the house with the door you weren't allowed to enter, and when you did it was sex-dungeon or something?

Edit: This is from my notes on the subject:

um pahars rented a house and they was like whatever you do don't go in the locked room. So he didn't go in there cos he is good as word. Then they kept ringing up every two weeks, "You ain't been in the locked room have you?" and he was like nah, but then he got curious. Anyways one day he went and picked the lock and the door creaked open and um pahars was faced with a whole sex dungeon of old men in gimp masks brandishing dildos etc. Um pahars hesitated and crossed himself, before stepping inside + gently closing the door behind him. He never posted again.
Edited by Bearsy

um pahars rented a house and they was like whatever you do don't go in the locked room. So he didn't go in there cos he is good as word. Then they kept ringing up every two weeks, "You ain't been in the locked room have you?" and he was like nah, but then he got curious. Anyways one day he went and picked the lock and the door creaked open and um pahars was faced with a whole sex dungeon of old men in gimp masks brandishing dildos etc. Um pahars hesitated and crossed himself, before stepping inside + gently closing the door behind him. He never posted again.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

just a shame that something like this attracts the reaction it does.

Just wanted to post something some people (not everyone I accept) might find vaguely interesting.

I found out this story about 2 weeks after "All the Saints" was published. (Cue more digs).

Very frustrating but tonight I found out about another ex-Saint who appeared on the stage with Charlie Chaplin in 1911.

just a shame that something like this attracts the reaction it does.

Just wanted to post something some people (not everyone I accept) might find vaguely interesting.

I found out this story about 2 weeks after "All the Saints" was published. (Cue more digs).

Very frustrating but tonight I found out about another ex-Saint who appeared on the stage with Charlie Chaplin in 1911.

Its not your fault of course, and the digs are futile at best. But you must admit that calling a Daily Echo "waffle" is an opinion rather than an abusive, infraction worthy attack?

Anyway, who appeared with Chazzer?

For those interested in the club's history or for those who just like a gruesome murder.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11028175.Sinning_Saint_who_escaped_gallows/

Thanks for posting this Duncan. I was in touch with Lisa a few times just before your article was pulled together so I knew some of the details. I have absolutely no connection with the family at all, just trying to help someone with their research and got involved because of the Saints connection. It remains somewhat frustrating that no-one is able to discover what happened to John after his time inside. Would he have been able to visit the USA with his criminal record? I know it can be a problem these days, not so sure about that in the 1920s though.

Its a shame that some on here, the usual suspects, have to ruin anything that is posted, whether of interest to them or not. Still I guess that's what they think helps them with their little ego trips, when in fact it just makes them look stupid time and again.

Surely the harshest infraction in SWF history. Plenty of posts are called waffle. Its quite bizarre.
No infraction can best the legendary "stamping on people's dreams" handed down by Jimmy D to the Turk. Not so much harsh as utterly sad and desperate, to be fair, but it's top of the pops for M-board fractions IMO.

Its not your fault of course, and the digs are futile at best. But you must admit that calling a Daily Echo "waffle" is an opinion rather than an abusive, infraction worthy attack?

Anyway, who appeared with Chazzer?

Saint Charlie - I have no idea what is this infraction you speak off but the player who was matey with Chas was John Fitchett (1902-03) or page 69 of the book