Chambers v Shaw - am I deluding myself...

Legod Second Coming

I think part of his problem was that he struggled to keep Chambers out of the team. I think he would have had a better chance if he was starting every week. Woy mentioned he was on the radar last September when Jay Rickie & Lallana got called up.

I know Milner wasn't a starter at City, but he has plenty of international experience (and to be fair, he has also been a member of 2 Premier League winning squads). I really don't think Milner is as bad as the kicking he gets, you know you're always going to get a decent shift out of him and he really isn't a fb.

If he was to leave City, and was willing to take a wage cut, I'd happily have him at Saints.

Glad you would be happy - easily pleased are we?

Chambers is excellent. One of the good things about our academy is how we can turn out such physically mature yet able footballers. Shaw, Chambers, Gallagher. All within a short period. That Chambers could keep out Clyne is an absolute achievement.

He has been linked to Arsenal for a reason, another season should see him flourish further and leave Clyne behind. Should he go though Clyne is a more then able premier league level right back. Comparing him to Shaw is wrong though, Shaw is a revelation, Chambers is not in the same league.

madness, a classic case of our best player is off so let's make out that one of our average players is actually better. You'll be telling us that Gallagher is better than Lambert next, Grow up.

Thank you. Remind me to register with the thought police who govern what a poster really means...

I would be disappointed to lose Shaw, just happen to think the gap between our full backs is not as vast as some clearly do.

I'd love to see the analysis on which side has conceded most goals this year, for example? I've no idea personally.

Of players we can afford to lose, though, Shaw would be a shame but not terminal. Any of Boruc, Lovren, Wanyama, Morgan would be disastrous.

Our success this year was built on the first 12/13 games when we had the best defensive record in Europe (bar one club).

Losing Lovren, Victor and Boruc cost us a European place, in my view.

Lallana gets the headlines, but our defensive success was more impressive at the start and then end of the season.

Shaw's the best of the three though needs to work on his final ball, which very rarely amounts to anything, and he's been caught out of position (rather than just upfield) a few times, but he's improving with that.

Clyne is very good going forward and gives cover at LB too, and tends to get foward without being caught out of position on the counter - but despite being the most athletic and probably quickest, is also the worst of the 3 positionally and most likely to make a control or clearance error.

Chambers is a better defender than Clyne but not as quick in terms of pace or recovery, and is less attacking generally, and seems to work better in matches where we're not looking to overlap or attack as much.

It's great to have the choice of all 3.

Shaw is amazing in direct duels with the opposing winger. His trademark move seems to be forcing/inviting the winger into making a move and then beating him for pace shielding the ball. Usually the winger barges into his back and gives a free kick. He is really concentrated in those crucial moments where he is the difference between a dangerous cross and a promising counter.

This is the impression I have from the tv games but feel free to correct me if I'm off the mark with young Luke...

The good thing about this discussion is, they're both excellent so we're benefiting either way.

I think Chambers has the potential to be top draw, as already mentioned by Marino, Chambers will eventually make the move to Center Back... that I am sure of.

He reads the game better than Shaw IMHO & with his height & aerial presence he'd slot in well at the back.

Although he'd being asked to play right back at the moment, so you can compare them from a full back perspective, I think both their attributes are quiet different

That's interesting, I've never thought of that. I see him as fairly well rounded defensively and attacking wise, I think he's in the right position.

madness, a classic case of our best player is off so let's make out that one of our average players is actually better. You'll be telling us that Gallagher is better than Lambert next, Grow up.

I don't think Chambers is in any way average.