Appalling show of commitment from our players

Unbelievable Jeff

No, we relegate this to them on the basis that those rumours or allegations are true. If they are false then of couse that's not an issue. However, personally I believe these are true, sadly.

So you would side with the press rumours and consider the player guilty until proven innocent? That doesn't seem very loyal to me.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, as loyal as those players are to SFC.

Why does everyone keep banging on about loyalty?

Players aren't fans, they are employees.

If I was offered another job with better prospects and a considerable increase in salary, I'd very likely take it.

Mick Channon said about football clubs "they'll use you until they can get someone better, then they'll get rid of you".

Why should players be any different?

If I was offered another job with better prospects and a considerable increase in salary, I'd very likely take it.

Mick Channon said about football clubs "they'll use you until they can get someone better, then they'll get rid of you".

Because when someone carries out their job, be it a social worker or shop assistant for example, you don't have 30,000 people wearing your name on the back of a shirt, applauding you to your desk, or singing that you make the star salesman look sh ite.

Do you still think the board are more to blame? Lallana has acted like a proper nob.

I think the board have set a poor precedent. Any half decent player we have can expect to walk away from saints as long as it's to a bigger club. We really haven't shown any sign of acknowledgement that we simply can't afford to let 4-5 of your best players all leave in one window, especially went we had weaknesses to deal with regardless.

Because when someone carries out their job, be it a social worker or shop assistant for example, you don't have 30,000 people wearing your name on the back of a shirt, applauding you to your desk, or singing that you make the star salesman look sh ite.

Being popular is not a reason to stay if there are better prospects elsewhere.

Those same people will slag you off if you suffer a loss of form and have a few bad games.

Yep, as loyal as those players are to SFC.

My comment still stands: you chose to believe in rumours from the press and turn against the players. The rumours turned out to be true, yes, but that's beside the point...

I don't demand or expect loyalty. I fully expected Lallana to go and don't begrudge a man a career and more money etc.

But Lallana has handled this very poorly and now looks like a total pri ck.

Not because he has left, but how it has all been done.

Anyway, we now have a newspaper advertisement to read tomorrow. How exciting.

Can't disagree with any of that. I wonder whether the PFA might also voice their concerns about players shafting clubs, or do they only speak up when clubs shaft players? (rhetorical).

As said previously, disgraceful behaviour from our players, but what do we expect when half the people on this thread are more than happy to see it happen.

Yes, no doubt our want-away players behaviour is being influenced by those that aren't arsed about it, on this very forum!

Lovren is only going on strike because he saw Saint Charlie saying he expects him to leave. :lol:

Shouldn't this thread be titled

"Appalling Show Of Reversal Of Committment by Saints Owner and Board " lead to the Mass Exodus of Manager Pochettino, and Players Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Schneiderlin (plus Ramirez and Osvaldo ) ???

Still, absolutely NOTHING is wrong, according to many on here

Shouldn't this thread be titled

"Appalling Show Of Reversal Of Committment by Saints Owner and Board " lead to the Mass Exodus of Manager Pochettino, and Players Shaw, Lallana, Lovren, Schneiderlin (plus Ramirez and Osvaldo ) ???

Still, absolutely NOTHING is wrong, according to many on here

You're such a detached from reality ****. Saints are a provincial club who cant sell out their modest 32,400 capacity stadium. We have half the gate income and one third the commercial income of the CL regulars. We haven't won anything of note since 1976 and were in league 1 four years ago . Now all of a sudden is *****fest against the woman who bankrolled our rise to 8th in the PL. Ive stepped in more gracious turds than you.

Yes, no doubt our want-away players behaviour is being influenced by those that aren't arsed about it, on this very forum!

Lovren is only going on strike because he saw Saint Charlie saying he expects him to leave. :lol:

Well as you obviously don't understand what I'm getting it I'll explain it to you.

The apathy from yourself and others on this thread is a representation of the attitude that footballers now have in relation to not completing their contracts, hence making it easier for them to justify their behaviour to themselves, fans, clubs etc. You're an enabler.

But no, why don't you be a **** about it, that seems to be your raison d'être on this board.

Well as you obviously don't understand what I'm getting it I'll explain it to you.

The apathy from yourself and others on this thread is a representation of the attitude that footballers now have in relation to not completing their contracts, hence making it easier for them to justify their behaviour to themselves, fans, clubs etc. You're an enabler.

But no, why don't you be a **** about it, that seems to be your raison d'être on this board.

An enabler? **** me Jeffrey, but that is a little hysterical. I'm not apathetic about it. I dislike the imbalance of power that now exists between players and clubs, and the narcissism of certain players who think they can hold the very people paying their wages to ransom by going on 'strike', while conveniently ignoring all that that said club has provided for them.

However, footballers don't care what I think, or you for that matter. Most seem to live in a hyperreality where agents take care of their every need, fuel ego and ambition, and negotiate their next move often without the player ever needing to explain his reasons for wanting out. Some remain grounded, but as Lallana's 14 word farewell letter demonstrates, there is a certain detachment from the fan-base that chant their names at every match and that is probably only going to get worse.

How do we change the attitudes of players? By making angry threads on a forum? I doubt it. We need structural changes in the game that limit the power of agents (especially for those under 21), enforces wage caps to ensure a more competitive and financially prudent league, and maybe stronger measures to prohibit players from threatening 'strike' action in the first place. Is that likely to happen while the big clubs continue to benefit, the Premier League suck up even more money from television rights, and the status-quo remains unchallenged? Again, massively doubt it.

For now, there is a certain pragmatism in accepting that if a player wants to leave our club then he will most probably do so. And if he is to leave then lets get the best deal we possibly can for the club and move on. While it might frustrate you, to single out certain people as 'enabling' the behaviour of players is a bit strange. We all support the laissez-faire hyper-capitalism of the Premier League by attending matches, paying for Sky, buying merchandise, etc., and it is the money on offer (and especially the concentration of it among the higher clubs) that is changing the way players behave - not the posts of a few people on a web forum. In that sense, we could all be viewed as 'enablers'.

But just maybe you are the man for revolution, Jeff...

Edited by Toon Saint

An enabler? **** me Jeffrey, but that is a little hysterical. I'm not apathetic about it. I dislike the imbalance of power that now exists between players and clubs, and the narcissism of certain players who think they can hold the very people paying their wages to ransom by going on 'strike', while conveniently ignoring all that that said club has provided for them.

However, footballers don't care what I think, or you for that matter. Most seem to live in a hyperreality where agents take care of their every need, fuel ego and ambition, and negotiate their next move often without the player ever needing to explain his reasons for wanting out. Some remain grounded, but as Lallana's 14 word farewell letter demonstrates, there is a certain detachment from the fan-base that chant their names at every match and that is probably only going to get worse.

How do we change the attitudes of players? By making angry threads on a forum? I doubt it. We need structural changes in the game that limit the power of agents (especially for those under 21), enforces wage caps to ensure a more competitive and financially prudent league, and maybe stronger measures to prohibit players from threatening 'strike' action in the first place. Is that likely to happen while the big clubs continue to benefit, the Premier League suck up even more money from television rights, and the status-quo remains unchallenged? Again, massively doubt it.

For now, there is a certain pragmatism in accepting that if a player wants to leave our club then he will most probably do so. And if he is to leave then lets get the best deal we possibly can for the club and move on. While it might frustrate you, to single out certain people as 'enabling' the behaviour of players is a bit strange. We all support the laissez-faire hyper-capitalism of the Premier League by attending matches, paying for Sky, buying merchandise, etc., and it is the money on offer (and especially the concentration of it among the higher clubs) that is changing the way players behave - not the posts of a few people on a web forum. In that sense, we could all be viewed as 'enablers'.

But just maybe you are the man for revolution, Jeff...

I really don't have the time to read all of that, but if it agrees with the fact that this is endemic in society and unfortunately due to this apathy it now makes it easier for players to behave like this then cool, if not I presume you haven't understood the point again.

I really don't have the time to read all of that, but if it agrees with the fact that this is endemic in society and unfortunately due to this apathy it now makes it easier for players to behave like this then cool, if not I presume you haven't understood the point again.

Or you did read it but had no proper answer.