England National Anthem

9-3

Why is it ridiculous? We don't live in a 100% democratic country if you can by fluke of birth (and not ability) become head of state. The principle behind that is a key argument against. Yes, they do benefit the country financially more than they cost, but the principle behind the idea that taxpayers should fund the lifestyle of a family and they then hold positions of influence through birth right is unfair.

By having a Christian God in the national anthem the state is taking sides. I'm saying there should be a separation of church and state. That isn't pretentious on my part, neatrality and a secular government system is fair to all. It is you that is trying to justify an unjust state of affairs that favours some of the population over others, not me.

The state should offer freedom from all religions and remain neutral. You are confused if you think I'm attempting to as you claim " throw my thoughts on the subject down somebodies throat". A state does that when they have a national religion as Britain does with the Church of England having power and/or influence within politics.

I actually agree with your argument but you're even starting to turn me off it with your boring, over the top, autistic claims. I might not like nor want GSTQ as a national anthem, and i might not like the monarchy nor believe in god, but i'm not so arrogant as to patronise people with lines like "taking sides".

Seriously mush wind your neck in, you're making a bit of a din of yourself!

Was that the same war where a member of the royal family had to be put out to pasture because he was openly supporting Hitler?

The Duke of Windsor was not alone in this country in rightly think that the Communists were the real danger and seeing Hitler as a way of sorting them out.

It really annoys me that God Save the Queen is played for England. It's the National Anthem of the United Kingdom and should only be used when teams/individuals are representing Great Britain (eg Olympics). You don't hear the Scots or Welsh using it as their anthem so why England? Give me Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem any day.

You do hear the Northern Irish using it though.

I doubt if many catholics join in - though by the same token the Ulster contingent of the Irish Rugby team are rarely observed singing The Soldier's Song. Both sports in Ireland need a neutral anthem acceptable to both sides. On a broader point it is my opinion that GSTQ should be regarded as the Royal Anthem sung at times when the Monarch is present or represented and that each constituent country have its own anthem sung as well (I am disregarding the Republic v Royalist debate and dealing with the situation as is and likely to remain for the foreseeable future)

Yes we still use it for the football but, as the photo earlier in the thread clearly showed (with nationalist players with bowed heads and bent knees), it has its problems. I've never had a problem with it as it's my national anthem but its the UK anthem and many would prefer that the Irish FA go with a NI specific anthem. Unlike you boys with Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory etc we've no ready made alternative. Londonderry Air/Danny Boy is simply awful!

Maybe we could keep the tune and change the words. After all, most have problems past the first verse. I reckon we just belt out this a couple of times.

We are inferior

We are inferior

We're fúcking shít

We are inferior

The Queen is superior

We are inferior

The Queen is the shít.

Maybe we could keep the tune and change the words. After all, most have problems past the first verse. I reckon we just belt out this a couple of times.

We are inferior

We are inferior

We're fúcking shít

We are inferior

The Queen is superior

We are inferior

The Queen is the shít.

we could. but we wont

We are inferior

We are inferior

We're fúcking shít

We are inferior

The Queen is superior

We are inferior

The Queen is the shít.

Small amendment to the proposed.

We are inferior

We are inferior

We're fúcking shít

We are inferior

The Queen is superior

We kiss her posterior

The Queen is the shít.

I don't feel we had enough arse-kissing in the last version. This is now addressed.

Perhaps they are all republican atheists.

I don't like the national anthem for that very reason. Its about a God I don't believe in "saving" (whatever that is meant to mean) a head of state I don't think should be head of state as they are unelected and by fluke of birth born into the position.

I don't sing it, but that doesn't mean I don't like our country. Its just a very poor choice of song.

Ditto for me - as far as I can see it's singing about a work of medieval fiction "saving" our Queen. Not quite sure what that's supposed to mean, but hey.

Rule Britannia for me. Or the Dambusters theme, though that might not work so well :lol:

Yes we still use it for the football but, as the photo earlier in the thread clearly showed (with nationalist players with bowed heads and bent knees), it has its problems. I've never had a problem with it as it's my national anthem but its the UK anthem and many would prefer that the Irish FA go with a NI specific anthem. Unlike you boys with Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory etc we've no ready made alternative. Londonderry Air/Danny Boy is simply awful!

As a National Anthem I absolutely agree - a beautiful air but definitely not Anthemic. I loved the way the Scots took the Corries' "Flower of Scotland" and turned it into a de facto National Anthem. I cannot think that we have anything similar that we could do the same with.

I doubt if many catholics join in - though by the same token the Ulster contingent of the Irish Rugby team are rarely observed singing The Soldier's Song. Both sports in Ireland need a neutral anthem acceptable to both sides. On a broader point it is my opinion that GSTQ should be regarded as the Royal Anthem sung at times when the Monarch is present or represented and that each constituent country have its own anthem sung as well (I am disregarding the Republic v Royalist debate and dealing with the situation as is and likely to remain for the foreseeable future)

The Irish rugby team sings Ireland's Call after the Irish NA.

Queen will still be head of state if Scots vote for independence. Is Salmond any worse than having an Old Etonian in charge?

Absolutely yes, I've met him and found him to be aloof, arrogant, opinionated and thoroughly obnoxious !

Give me the Queen any day, at least she is polite and respectful !

Ps. and Cameron too !