Lack of signings

washsaint

Not picking on you in particular, but just saw this and hits a pet hate for meaningless posts.

The use of the word "need" in relation to signings when you mean want.

We will find 11 players for first game, and probably good enough for comfortable upper mid table even without further signings.

What did you mean by "need"? To be higher than last season?

Last season's squad with good enough for 8th. If Pelle joins or similar, even if Schneiderlin and Lovren leave we have;

Boruc

Clyne / Chambers / Targett as fullbacks.

Fonte / Yoshida/

Tadic,wanyama, Davies, Ramirez,

Pelle, JayRod

Plus JWP - think a lot expected

Cork

Reid

Rowe

Gallagher

Etc

Top half side? Don't need players but I would like keeper, CB, forward

That is not a top half side.

We will let in so many goals

You don't take out 5 of the best outfield players (half) well, more if you include Rodriguez out too and expect to be top half

Just will not happen. Yeah yeah, I know, man on the moon and all that

Not picking on you in particular, but just saw this and hits a pet hate for meaningless posts.

The use of the word "need" in relation to signings when you mean want.

We will find 11 players for first game, and probably good enough for comfortable upper mid table even without further signings.

What did you mean by "need"? To be higher than last season?

Last season's squad with good enough for 8th. If Pelle joins or similar, even if Schneiderlin and Lovren leave we have;

Boruc

Clyne / Chambers / Targett as fullbacks.

Fonte / Yoshida/

Tadic,wanyama, Davies, Ramirez,

Pelle, JayRod

Plus JWP - think a lot expected

Cork

Reid

Rowe

Gallagher

Etc

Top half side? Don't need players but I would like keeper, CB, forward

are you actually being serious about being upper mid table? Have you watched much football?

Yoshida lets In goals and Sam can't score them = tough season, 17th would be an achievement with that side.

are you actually being serious about being upper mid table? Have you watched much football?

Yoshida lets In goals and Sam can't score them = tough season, 17th would be an achievement with that side.

He is being serious.

We finished 8th and the we have about £100m+ worth of players that will now have left/not be available

I am excited about tadic but he will have to go some to replicate some sort of form form last season and fill the hole Lallana left

He is also saying we won't NEED to replace the other who have left.

Madness

He is being serious.

We finished 8th and the we have about £100m+ worth of players that will now have left/not be available

I am excited about tadic but he will have to go some to replicate some sort of form form last season and fill the hole Lallana left

Madness

Don't worry, NickG is very good at saying stuff, unequivocal and clear as day but even when it is directly quoted back at him will still point blank deny he ever said it.

He is being serious.

Madness

Where you are going wrong is getting carried away with the value of players - confusing the commercial value v footballing value.

You seem to panic over loss of £100m players. Their footballing value, now, is no where near that.

Shaw was not a £30m player last season. He was that price due to his potential & being English. Of course he is very good.

Lallana £25m? Hopefully Tadic will soon overtake his product for ⅓ of the price.

You have said (I believe, apologies if wasn't you) Cork should play defensive midfield for England, when Wanyama plays the CBs take the day off!

Academic anyway as I am sure more players to come. But have watched most of those players many times you can be assured, if Koeman is half decent, its not a relegation team.

My main point was people posting these long want lists and describing them as need lists without quantifying need to achieve what.

We will need to replace Lambert with a good forward to match last season, and think we will. (Actually think we may add 2 ).

Lallana has been replaced. I'm happy to go with clubs view on Targett or Clyne or new signing at left back. There is no need to bed wet, we have a lot of good players, a few areas clearly weaker than others - but a have feeling club would have noticed!

I want more depth in goalkeepers, - but last year, with injuries our current keepers were what was needed to finish 8th - so hard to argue we "need" a new keeper to stay up, facts show otherwise.

Will be different views but don't confuse greedy panic / bedwetting want with need! ;)

We had all those players lasts season (except tadic) and with 6 first team starter who won't be there come start of the season, we finished 2 places in the top half

And you think we will do it again with just a 1 addition to those 6.

Sorry mate, no amount of pontificating will make that happen

We had all those players lasts season (except tadic) and with 6 first team starter who won't be there come start of the season, we finished 2 places in the top half

The utter mentalness has started TDD.

I like the new regime, I'm confident we will make decent signings but it is pretty clear next season will be transitional and we are very likely to be weaker than last season. That's a fine thing to think.

Don't think the world needs the likes of NickG making out a ragbag of Saints reserves is already a top half team.

I think he still thinks we finished in "realistic" 6th place last season....

Don't worry, NickG is very good at saying stuff, unequivocal and clear as day but even when it is directly quoted back at him will still point blank deny he ever said it.

I am just relieved he is not our manager. You always know he has realised his post is nonsense with his subsequent introduction of the word "bed-wetter".

I would be delighted to escape relegation next season and would regard that as a good season after the turmoil of this close season.

There is no reason to think that we will not be one of the top also rans in the PL this season I can see Tadic being more effective than Lallana and although Shaw went for £30m he was not an out and out match winner.

We are going to get in other Quality players to enhance the Squad and things will look a lot better by the end of the month.

I think Koeman/Tadic better than Poch/Lallana

Upper mid table a bit of throw away comment - mi mean not in relegation group, nor amongst worse of rest but comfortable.

Biggest unknown, as is for any club, is change of manager. However good he looks, and we hope/feel we do - a new manager is unlikely to achieve exactly the same with exactly the same group of players, I don't know whether last years squad would have moved on with Koeman or dropped, so with changes in playing staff there are a lot of unknowns.

My initial post didn't say without replacements - said with Tadic for Lallana and Pelle or similar for Lambert (wouldn't be surprised if we get Ings and Pelle for Lambert).

Clearly the panic of fire sale, not being ambitious, KL wanting out etc was wrong - yet again - as can be seen by attracting Koeman x 2, Watson, Lee as management team and Tadic (as I read on here how bad the board are losing him to Everton so must have done something right to get him ;) ).

Changes, many we wouldn't have chosen, but reasons to be excited and look forward rather than panic, IMHO (which is normally about right ;) )

There is no reason to think that we will not be one of the top also rans in the PL this season I can see Tadic being more effective than Lallana and although Shaw went for £30m he was not an out and out match winner.

We are going to get in other Quality players to enhance the Squad and things will look a lot better by the end of the month.

I think Koeman/Tadic better than Poch/Lallana

I see your point but tadic will have to have a hell of a season (his first in England, let alone the prem) to better Lallana, who was in the premier league team of the season.

I see your point but tadic will have to have a hell of a season (his first in England, let alone the prem) to better Lallana, who was in the premier league team of the season.

You maybe right but on the other hand you may be wrong

I just think Tadic and Koeman fwill be more effective for the whole ninety mins I got the feeling that we did not score many goals in the last 15 mins last season but only time will tell

Having a really good second GK will also help I just think you have to accept we have lost players and may lose some more but look on the brightside unless you are a Brazilian.

The club has money a great Academy loads of good players so the future is bright we may not finish 8th but unlike SFC under Strachan we dont have an ageing team