Lack of signings

washsaint

How you can make an accusation of 'bed wetting' when you could conversely be accused of complacency. We have lost our chairman with another one gone AWOL , manager, youth team coaches, three key players with at least another 3 key players possibly wanting to leave! These are facts, not just conjecture. We have signed a new manager but no players. We are into pre season training. We possibly have players on strike and say what you like but if this isn't a club in turmoil and with water still coming in faster than is being pumped out then I don't know what is........

We have sleep walked into a new season before now without making signings, people are concerned we will do it again... That's not bed wetting, however you appear to be complacent and the evidence of the last six months says the board may well be too....This is a concern would you not agree?

Can't disagree with any of that until this board matches words with actions the events unravelling at the moment and summarised so succinctly above will continue to cause concern to a lot of supporters. My concern is that the board doesn't really mean the words it is uttering and that they would be better off telling us the truth rather than continuing to claim we do not need to sell players and this this whole current mess is somehow a transition phase towards improving the team and kicking on!

Isn't this a discussion board where people express their opinions. Are you saying that you a. Dont have an opinion and so have nothing to discuss or contribute ? b. Don't see there is any point in discussing opinions c. Don't agree with people expressing their opinions.

What is your problem ?

That you're a tedious c**t most likely.

I'd say Osvaldo and ramirez were players we had been chasing all summer and the only reason they were late signings was because they wanted to see if there were better offers. The fact that Osvaldo took a pay cut to go on loan suggests money was not an issue for him signing for us and I don't think it was for Ramirez too. I think we offered clubs enough money to buy them from too. i just don't think they were that keen on joining us. I do think if players stall so long to see if there are better offers then we should definitely not buy them as they are clearly not interested in Saints.

As for Mayuka and Yoshida, I don't think they were first choice picks but only came through because other deals fell down. In an ideal world all our business would be done early but unfortunately life is not like that. I'm sure we are doing all we can to sign players and as long as we don't adopt the Tottenham way then i'm happy.

Your examples of good late players holding out or last minute gap fillers are exactly why I am concerned all of the above have hardly been either successful or fully committed to the cause and they all joined an already successful settled team! If we were to bring in a bunch of similar players to the above and add them to what we have left minus Morgan and Dejan and possibly others we would surely struggle!

I await our deluge of good committed players who will take us to the next level with great anticipation!

Surely deserving an infraction. I am more interested to know whether you have an opinion I have already seen that you can be obnoxious at the most base level.

Do a Hoddle joke to cheer us all up. They are so funny.

Your examples of good late players holding out or last minute gap fillers are exactly why I am concerned all of the above have hardly been either successful or fully committed to the cause and they all joined an already successful settled team! If we were to bring in a bunch of similar players to the above and add them to what we have left minus Morgan and Dejan and possibly others we would surely struggle!

I await our deluge of good committed players who will take us to the next level with great anticipation!

It could be and I am serious about this that we have to drop a level to attract players who have a point to prove and who are hungry to journey with us to the top echelons. The sad thing is that they will be off once they get the plaudits and so the cycle begins. I have been villified for saying it before, but we could become a 'yoyo' team, carefully managed financially, building, rising through the leagues, dropping down again and then starting a new cycle.

Isn't this a discussion board where people express their opinions. Are you saying that you a. Dont have an opinion and so have nothing to discuss or contribute ? b. Don't see there is any point in discussing opinions c. Don't agree with people expressing their opinions.

What is your problem ?

Yes it is a discussion board not a trolling board how you get away with it for so long beats me that's my opinion. You are not a tedious cnt they are useful whereas you are just a troll who thinks posting the same sh1te for years is fun. Are you really a teacher?

We need 7 currently (3 replacements, GK, CB, 2 strikers) and 9 if Lovren and Morgan really go. Im assuming for benefit of discussion that Cork and Fonte get contracts and stay.

Would say thats pretty much spot on, although could possibly get away with Pelle as a Lambert replacement and just one other striker. We would then have those two plus Gallagher and also Jay Rod to come back. Maybe even Mayuka as an option.

Certainly need 8 though if Lovren and Morgan go and 6 even if they somehow don't.

We need 7 currently (3 replacements, GK, CB, 2 strikers) and 9 if Lovren and Morgan really go. Im assuming for benefit of discussion that Cork and Fonte get contracts and stay.

Exactly, which is quite a tall order. So, unless we get a shift on we could well find ourselves in deep trouble. Let us hope the Board are not burying their heads in the sand because if we get this wrong we will be punished hard in the unforgiving world of the Premier League.

I am pretty sure that of dalek's 6000+ posts, at least 50% have been on "lack of signing" type threads. The balance being hoddle related.

The Hoddle debacle only comes up now and then, I will admit though, I have not been impressed with our summer signing inaction in the past. I stand by that. Did we strengthen key positions like GK last year during the summer ?

My opinion is that you are a tedious c**t not worthy if engaging in decent debate. Clear enough.

With a reaction like that, I would only be too happy for you to disengage from any debate, not that you have tried very hard anyway.

It could be and I am serious about this that we have to drop a level to attract players who have a point to prove and who are hungry to journey with us to the top echelons. The sad thing is that they will be off once they get the plaudits and so the cycle begins. I have been villified for saying it before, but we could become a 'yoyo' team, carefully managed financially, building, rising through the leagues, dropping down again and then starting a new cycle.

I agree with the first part of the post entirely and that exactly why we shouldn't be panicking about lack of activity. Last season the management team was secure and knew exactly what we were looking for. This season we have a new manager who will naturally want to access the team himself and work out strengths and weaknesses, despite what any transfer committee might do. On top of that, finding the lower level hungry young players with the right attitude takes more time than just plucking out top name signings that might join us. no doubt last year, work was already in place before the end of the 2012-13 season to prepare for the 2013-14 season. This season we haven't been as fortunate and i would prefer to see time taken to get the right players.

Mind you if we haven't signed anyone just before transfer deadline day then i might be worried.

How you can make an accusation of 'bed wetting' when you could conversely be accused of complacency. We have lost our chairman with another one gone AWOL , manager, youth team coaches, three key players with at least another 3 key players possibly wanting to leave! These are facts, not just conjecture. We have signed a new manager but no players. We are into pre season training. We possibly have players on strike and say what you like but if this isn't a club in turmoil and with water still coming in faster than is being pumped out then I don't know what is........

We have sleep walked into a new season before now without making signings, people are concerned we will do it again... That's not bed wetting, however you appear to be complacent and the evidence of the last six months says the board may well be too....This is a concern would you not agree?

We haven't 'lost' 'our' Chairman, but have replaced the Chairman with a more accountable board. I think I prefer the latter.

We haven't 'lost' a manager as the one we had has been replaced by (arguably) a much more experienced one with connections throughout Europe.

We haven't 'lost' our youth team coaches, they were sacked .. for reasons that we can only speculate on.

We haven't 'lost' 3 key players, we have sold them for a huge sum of cash.

The new manager's only been in place for a week, the transfer window has only been open a week so it is not too much of a surprise that we haven't yet signed anyone. If you read the posts from people who really are ITK, you'll have understood that there are plenty of negotiations going on to bring high calibre players to the team. If we'd gone and paid over the odds for these people without properly negotiating for the best deal, I'm sure they would have been here by now but I have no doubt you and your type would have been the first to slag off the board for spending too much money on them.

For me, this isn't a club in turmoil but a club going through a transition, that is not of it's making, unless you include being too successful as being their fault.

Stop panicking until there is something to panic about.

Edited by TwoPints

We haven't 'lost' 'our' Chairman, the Chairman but have replaced him with a more accountable board. I think I prefer the latter.

We haven't 'lost' a manager as the one we had has been replaced by (arguably) a much more experienced one with connections throughout Europe.

We haven't 'lost' our youth team coaches, they were sacked .. for reasons that we can only speculate on.

The new manager's only been in place for a week, the transfer window has only been open a week so it is not too much of a surprise that we haven't yet signed anyone. If you read the posts from people who really are ITK, you'll have understood that there are plenty of negotiations going on to bring high calibre players to the team. If we'd gone and paid over the odds for these people without properly negotiating for the best deal, I'm sure they would have been here by now but I have no doubt you and your type would have been the first to slag off the board for spending too much money on them.

For me, this isn't a club in turmoil but a club going through a transition, that is not of it's making, unless you include being too successful as being their fault.

Perspective

We haven't 'lost' 'our' Chairman, but have replaced the Chairman with a more accountable board. I think I prefer the latter.

Great post.

In his interview, Les Reed implied there were a string of players who wanted to come here. Some of those may not be of the required standard but others surely are. It is a little odd odd that we are only linked with two so far, and both of those being from the Eredisivie, which suggests they may have only come into the picture through Koeman. That still leaves Les Reed's list of potential transfers identified by the scouting network that he spoke about. Surely the club must be close to recruiting others beyond Pelle and Tudic.

In his interview, Les Reed implied there were a string of players who wanted to come here. Some of those may not be of the required standard but others surely are. It is a little odd odd that we are only linked with two so far, and both of those being from the Eredisivie, which suggests they may have only come into the picture through Koeman. That still leaves Les Reed's list of potential transfers identified by the scouting network that he spoke about. Surely the club must be close to recruiting others beyond Pelle and Tudic.

Maybe Koeman dosent think much of Reeds and the scouting teams list?

This^^^

It is a worry to see the heart ripped out of what was arguably the best ever Saints team. There was real potential there for that team to push on. Sadly we seem to be in free-fall at the moment and our usual summer dilly-dallying away in the transfer market means this season is going to be primarily about survival. Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if we had made more of an effort at Sunderland in the FA Cup and somehow managed to get to the final or win it, whether so many rats would have been so quick to desert the proverbial sinking ship.

It is a worry to see the heart ripped out of what was arguably the best ever Saints team. There was real potential there for that team to push on. Sadly we seem to be in free-fall at the moment and our usual summer dilly-dallying away in the transfer market means this season is going to be primarily about survival. Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if we had made more of an effort at Sunderland in the FA Cup and somehow managed to get to the final or win it, whether so many rats would have been so quick to desert the proverbial sinking ship.

Sorry a team that had 5 England captains was so much better. Keegan era was best team I have seen. Last years saw some great football though

We always 'dilly dally' when it comes to essential summer signings. Must be a club policy or something, perhaps everyone is on holiday. Whatever, it has cost us in the past and this year it could cost us our premier status.

Good grief, some of you carry on as if buying a player is as simple as popping down asda and buying a pound of apples. Deals take time especially when the product being sold has a mind of its own.

Every transfer at this level inevitably involves relocation, so if the player has family, that's another factor to consider.

Also The World Cup was always going to inhibit transfer activity with national coaches insisting on a bit of peace and quiet whilst their teams were still in the tournament.

Good grief, some of you carry on as if buying a player is as simple as popping down asda and buying a pound of apples. Deals take time especially when the product being sold has a mind of its own.

Every transfer at this level inevitably involves relocation, so if the player has family, that's another factor to consider.

Also The World Cup was always going to inhibit transfer activity with national coaches insisting on a bit of peace and quiet whilst their teams were still in the tournament.

You seem to be remarkably complacent about this situation that worries so many. Surely we deserve a board that is proactive rather than reactive, laissez-faire or serendipitous it is past the time when we can afford "to let events take their natural course" as you may be implying. If we intend to do what we say we wish to do then some people upstairs need a bloody good kick up the backside to get a some action fast otherwise it will be more than egg on our faces in a few weeks time when the transfer window has closed, we've signed nobody and the Saints are propping up the PL.

You seem to be remarkably complacent about this situation that worries so many. Surely we deserve a board that is proactive rather than reactive, laissez-faire or serendipitous it is past the time when we can afford "to let events take their natural course" as you may be implying. If we intend to do what we say we wish to do then some people upstairs need a bloody good kick up the backside to get a some action fast otherwise it will be more than egg on our faces in a few weeks time when the transfer window has closed, we've signed nobody and the Saints are propping up the PL.

:lol:

A dangerous assumption. Cork and Fonte have been treated very poorly. It says a lot about Les Reeds emotional intelligence that probably the two most loyal decent players in the squad are seriously ****ed off by the club dicking them about and ignoring their requests over the last year or so. Watch this space and all of our own making.............

I wouldn't class myself as a 'bedwetter' but am getting increasingly concerned that we have not made any signings yet.

We are going to need 6-7 new players to replace departees and improve squad depth but we have made none yet. Other clubs like West ham, Liverpool, Man U, Hull, Swansea are getting deals done early doors and I truly hope we are not left behind. I'm sure the club have signings lined up (or at least hope so) but would truly love 3-4 signings over the next week or so to settle things down.

Hopefully RK can persuade Morgan to give us one more season and, if we don't hit targets this season, allow him to leave with our blessing next summer. Lovren can p**s off after we helped resurrect his career. Here's hoping for some good news over the next week or so.....we are due some for sure.

Academy alone will not be enough to bolster the squad but maybe the likes of Reed, Stephens and McQueen will be like new signings for us.

I won't be as rude as some others who've responded to the OP already ....BUT I find myself reading this type of post almost every year - sometimes even before the season has ended.

Alan Pardew took a bit of stick - especially after buying that Rickie "whatisname " from Bristol Rovers when people complained that we had bought a fat, old " journeyman " instead of a younger striker.

Nigel Adkins, too was criticised for missing the best of the early signings, but I don't recall any of those he was supposed to have missed having set the world alight afterwards - but we still got promoted.

Pochettino (yeah, yeah) " Osvaldo," would become so great, but I've written for several years back that " big money signings " should come with a " consumer warning " as so it proved - yet again.:scared:

Now Ronald Koeman is getting the same treatment from some quarters. The truth is we don't know that there aren't signings in the offing, just because SFC hasn't broadcast it in advance and sms'd you.

Once thing that has survived the " Cortese Era " is the secrecy blanket over all discussions, and Les Reed seems to have taken that one to heart, and is good at keeping things under wraps.

I was interested to listen to a Sky Radio interview that included a respected football agent (evidently some do exist).. who said often transfers take months between the first enquiry and the player eventually hanging his boots up in the dressing room, with a myriad different aspects (not least the fee and the salary), AND in some cases clubs may have targetted a player during the previous season before making an approach in the first place, something LR revealed recently in that video interview about transfers.

I'm really not too concerned at present, my own pencilled list of "so-called interested enquiries" that Saints are supposed to have made is upto 15, although I'm certain to have missed some.

Even with £60 million (and a bit more to come), we are hardly likely to sign half of them, and perhaps not even the majority of the " transfer kitty " in so doing. Common sense says save some for January.

I don't think anyone has suggested that we will start the season with a team composed of Academy lads - have they?... but I do expect to see one or two new names from there getting established.

There are thousands of top level footballers in Europe alone, and many clubs have Academies and new players appearing all the time. If our scouting system is functioning as it should - we'll find theem, and some of them may come to SFC. Looking at last season, you win some..(Wanyama) and lose some (Courtinho). Making " big money signings" has nearly always been a burden rather than a blessing.

Liverpool must have thought they had a real winner for life with Luis Suarez (!), now they will be glad to get their money back..and a bit more. At the time of writing.we still have Dani Osvaldo. :scared:

IF RK is half the manager we are led to believe, he won't make too many " amateur " mistakes with expensive signings. Time will tell, and I for one have learned some patience...around this time every year.

The word is calm, not complacent. You have absolutely no idea what the board has been doing, and just because they haven't seen fit to fill you in every step of the way, you have made an assumption that they have done nothing. Your last sentence is just hand wringing hysteria.

judge them at them end of the summer. It they haven't delivered, I will be the first to criticise them.

Not picking on you in particular, but just saw this and hits a pet hate for meaningless posts.

The use of the word "need" in relation to signings when you mean want.

We will find 11 players for first game, and probably good enough for comfortable upper mid table even without further signings.

What did you mean by "need"? To be higher than last season?

Last season's squad with good enough for 8th. If Pelle joins or similar, even if Schneiderlin and Lovren leave we have;

Boruc

Clyne / Chambers / Targett as fullbacks.

Fonte / Yoshida/

Tadic,wanyama, Davies, Ramirez,

Pelle, JayRod

Plus JWP - think a lot expected

Cork

Reid

Rowe

Gallagher

Etc

Top half side? Don't need players but I would like keeper, CB, forward