Lack of signings

washsaint

don't kid yourself that if they were going to get less £££££,s they would be in such a headlong rush to leave and their agents even less keen. The chance of CL and titles is an added bonus

What?

Everyone in football thinks we are going to be sitting on a transfer war chest of 100m + this summer.

Its hardly surprising that every club and player we wish to do business with is going to hold out for every single damn cent they can get.

And as this thread suggests, fans and club alike are going to get ever more desperate so the club will be agreeing to the other clubs valuation more and more often.

As a few people have said on here, its far better to hold on to the quality players you have exactly because their quality is known....

As Spurs showed last season, money in the bank means jack sh*t...

Everyone in football thinks we are going to be sitting on a transfer war chest of 100m + this summer.

Its hardly surprising that every club and player we wish to do business with is going to hold out for every single damn cent they can get.

And as this thread suggests, fans and club alike are going to get ever more desperate so the club will be agreeing to the other clubs valuation more and more often.

As a few people have said on here, its far better to hold on to the quality players you have exactly because their quality is known....

So, signing loads of players isn't the way to go?

MASSIVE BIG CHUNKY + 1.

Where's that graphic posted a couple of weeks back of headless chickens running around? Does anyone have a decent image of people sleepwalking to relegation?

388044_heroa.jpg

399294_heroa.jpg

Review-of-the-Match-Norwich-City-FC-vs-Chelsea-FC-Barclays-Premier-league-2013-14-692.jpg

Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-Cardiff-City_3135263.jpg?20140503171155

Review-of-the-Match-Chelsea-FC-2-0-Fulham-FC-Barclays-Premier-League-2013-14-572.jpg

david%20silva%20celeb.ashx?h=450&w=800

1120801082.jpg

PROP131109-040-Liverpool_Fulham.jpg

Tan_2841101b.jpg

Edited by The9

All this thread has done for me is made me consider whether circling sharks or vultures are more of a concern.

I'm going for sharks, because they might actually attack you when you were ok, if the vultures are involved you've already had it. Though if you survive the sharks and then the vultures have a pop, well, that's unlucky, and you can't blame Les Reed for that. Though maybe buying your drinking water and/or shark tank when the prices were cheaper and before everyone knew you really needed them might have been an idea?

Or something.

All this thread has done for me is made me consider whether circling sharks or vultures are more of a concern.

I'm going for sharks, because they might actually attack you when you were ok, if the vultures are involved you've already had it. Though if you survive the sharks and then the vultures have a pop, well, that's unlucky, and you can't blame Les Reed for that. Though maybe buying your drinking water and/or shark tank when the prices were cheaper and before everyone knew you really needed them might have been an idea?

Or something.

The sharks of course are circling and the vultures are waiting near the rocks for when the sharks finish. You have to consider that we might be washed against the rocks or marooned on a deep dark blue sea. Whatever way you look at it we could be up a creek without a paddle.

We are always complacent in the summer and leave things too late. Increasingly feel that we are going to get relegated.

Yep we should have done a Norwich and done our business early ..................oh whoops

What is frustrating is that it seem when teams come in for our player they seem to sign over night. Club bids, accepted, medical, personal terms, boom done 48 hours... We always seem to take forever to wrap up these deals and fall short of our needs.. In my opinion of corse

What is frustrating is that it seem when teams come in for our player they seem to sign over night. Club bids, accepted, medical, personal terms, boom done 48 hours... We always seem to take forever to wrap up these deals and fall short of our needs.. In my opinion of corse

Really?? How long did the Lallana and Shaw deals take Liverpool and ManUre to tie up?

If we refuse to pay over the odds for, say, Tadic, and ends up at a different club, you will greet that as good news and evidence of the club doing the right thing, yes?

If we refuse to pay over the odds for, say, Tadic, and ends up at a different club, you will greet that as good news and evidence of the club doing the right thing, yes?

Depends on what is 'over the odds' ? Quality players cost good money and you have to look at that compared with the cost of not having quality players for the season and the distinct possibility of relegation.

I think your snipe at Alpine is just an ill thought out out comment.

Depends on what is 'over the odds' ? Quality players cost good money and you have to look at that compared with the cost of not having quality players for the season and the distinct possibility of relegation.

I think your snipe at Alpine is just an ill thought out out comment.

Do your stuff about finishing 17th. It's so funny, it really is.

So you'd want us to put out a 1st 11 that has 5 players who don't want to play for saints and are agitating for a move bringing the rest of the team down with them I can imagine how toxic that dressing room would be.

Well, we are certainly doing a great job with that aren't we ??

Do your stuff about finishing 17th. It's so funny, it really is.

Repetition, you are obsessed with my posts CB FRY. Not that I should be bothered as your credibility was shot ages ago. Having said that, no point putting you putting you on the ignore list as you are basically harmless.

According to Wiki this is when we signed players last summer:

14 June Dejan Lovren

11 July Victor Wanyama

18 August Dani Osvaldo

and the year before

1 July Jay Rodriguez

6 July Steven Davis

19 July Nathaniel Clyne

20 July Paulo Gazzaniga

28 August Emmanuel Mayuka

30 August Maya Yoshida

31 August Gastón Ramírez

So, going on that, I don't think we should expect to have all our dealings done in any way but it would be nice to have 1 by now to get get excited about.

14 June Dejan Lovren

11 July Victor Wanyama

18 August Dani Osvaldo

and the year before

1 July Jay Rodriguez

6 July Steven Davis

19 July Nathaniel Clyne

20 July Paulo Gazzaniga

30 August Maya Yoshida

31 August Gastón Ramírez

So, going on that, I don't think we should expect to have all our dealings done in any way but it would be nice to have 1 by now to get get excited about.

Which proves my point that we sign too late if you look at how some of those late signings have turned out. The thing is, sometimes you have to pay good money for good players and griping about things is a false economy if it disrupts planning and stops playeers having time to 'gel' together pre-season.

Repetition, you are obsessed with my posts CB FRY. Not that I should be bothered as your credibility was shot ages ago. Having said that, no point putting you putting you on the ignore list as you are basically harmless.

Do your stuff about Hoddle. It's so funny, it really is.

The sharks of course are circling and the vultures are waiting near the rocks for when the sharks finish. You have to consider that we might be washed against the rocks or marooned on a deep dark blue sea. Whatever way you look at it we could be up a creek without a paddle.

And that albatross would have already dragged YOU down to the depths.

14 June Dejan Lovren

11 July Victor Wanyama

18 August Dani Osvaldo

and the year before

1 July Jay Rodriguez

6 July Steven Davis

19 July Nathaniel Clyne

20 July Paulo Gazzaniga

30 August Maya Yoshida

31 August Gastón Ramírez

Though in the last two seasons we had a manager in place and no world cup. Having to go out and find a new manager and coaching staff would have had to be the 1st priority over players I would have thought so that has probably put the timetable, re player signings, at the club back a couple of weeks I reckon.

Oh dear, there's going to be a few people coming down to Earth with a big bump come August kick off. There's only one way to replace 5 + years of team spirit and it's not signing lot's of lower quality players at inflated prices or relying wholly on untested youth. I said months ago that the summer would be a massive test of the Boards competence and we're now at the sharp end. At the moment the signs appear not too positive, but there is still time to make the right buying decisions.

#itsnothappeningyet

One of the only PL teams now not to sign anyone, the only team to have lost three top players; and our first two signings it seems will be replacements for outgoings rather than an addition of quality vs last season.

We need on average one signing a week now until the end of the window assuming Morgan and Lovren go.

I think we will end up making the replacements but won't tackle some of the other areas. For example if Lovren goes we will obviously bring in a centre back. But we needed one anyway to replace the hapless Hooiveld. So will we go and get two?

At the moment the signs appear not too positive.

#itsnothappeningyet

Seems slightly over the top to me

We have a new manager who is more experienced than the Previous one a very good coaching team and have put in bids for Lambert and Lallana replacements

Shaw at the moment appears to be going to be replaced by Target

We will be playing in stripes and no doubt work is being done to bring in other players I am sure y the end of the month things will look very different

We have a new manager who is more experienced than the Previous one a very good coaching team and have put in bids for Lambert and Lallana replacements

We will be playing in stripes and no doubt work is being done to bring in other players I am sure y the end of the month things will look very different

True

But had everyone stayed we would need a new goalie, CB and striker

Now we need those and a replacement for every player that leaves/has left

Which I just can't see happening

True

But had everyone stayed we would need a new goalie, CB and striker

Now we need those in addition to a left back and a replacement for every player that leaves

Which I just can't see happening

This. We don't have the depth that Hull or QPR do for example. We have one PL keeper, 1 LB with no pro apps, one rookie striker, a manager who likes wide players and we have basically Isgrove who couldnt get into Peterborough's team, and thats about it in that area.

This. We don't have the depth that Hull or QPR do for example. We have one PL keeper, 1 LB with no pro apps, one rookie striker, a manager who likes wide players and we have basically Isgrove who couldnt get into Peterborough's team, and thats about it in that area.

Hull are building a decent squad.

Saying that, they have the Europa league to deal with

How dare they want to leave for UCL football, titles, cups and lots and lots of ££.

Should have stayed at Saints FFS.

Most teams have good players who could grace the CL and not many are leaving and if they are no more than one or two per team at best! Yet ours are said to be wanting to leave in droves! This clearly shows there is far more to this situation than just naked player ambitions!

The end of the month does not leave much time for integration and forming a team. A team that struggles in the first few months rarely gets out of the mire Crystal Palace being a rare exception. The board must have known Mopo and many players would leave well before the end of last season and yet seem to have been extremely slow to react whilst still talking about improving the squad and kicking on!

So far the evidence of shoring up the boat never mind going on to kick on is still absent hence the many concerns!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Most teams have good players who could grace the CL and not many are leaving and if they are no more than one or two per team at best! Yet ours are said to be wanting to leave in droves! This clearly shows there is far more to this situation than just naked player ambitions!

Exactly. I also love the idea of us being miles away from those above us last season, yet half of our team are off to join them.

Over the top? Mmm, not really...I don't think we've seen any real signs yet that the substantive squad adjustment to push on from last year is taking place or will take place. For example, if we had made a decent bid for Lukaku we would have perhaps considered that to be a serious sign of intent. That certainly doesn't appear to be the way the Board is taking us transfer-wise. The strategy seems to be sell high, buy cheap (which turns out not so cheap because everyone knows we're minted).

Put me down as one those not getting too excited at a return to 'go faster stripes' lol. Yes, it's a nice gesture, but it's not going to improve the squad is it?

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

Over the top? Mmm, not really...I don't think we've seen any real signs yet that the substantive squad adjustment to push on from last year is taking place or will take place. For example, if we had made a decent bid for Lukaku we would have perhaps considered that to be a serious sign of intent. That certainly doesn't appear to be the way the Board is taking us transfer-wise. The strategy seems to be sell high, buy cheap (which turns out not so cheap because everyone knows we're minted).

Put me down as one those not getting too excited at a return to 'go faster stripes' lol. Yes, it's a nice gesture, but it's not going to improve the squad is it?

The only conclusion to draw on the facts and evidence to date!

So true yet we are being told we don't have to sell!

I would prefer real honesty from the board about our plans and ambitions rather than to be treated like a child. I am old enough and wise enough to accept that as a small provincial City our finances mean we can never be more than a Stoke Crystal Palace, Leicester or a Norwich with the limited but realistic ambitions of a lower mid table finish and survival rather than trying to mix it with the money bags.

Reading this thread, apart from CBFRY who has a different agenda and whose opinions can be dismissed with a pinch of salt, the consensus is that unless we get some quality signings in soon we are going to struggle. I would add 'struggle' as in a 'relegation fight' from August through to May. So, despite the swipes made against my predictions from the usual suspects, many people agree with my point assertion.

Reading this thread, apart from CBFRY who has a different agenda and whose opinions can be dismissed with a pinch of salt, the consensus is that unless we get some quality signings in soon we are going to struggle. I would add 'struggle' as in a 'relegation fight' from August through to May. So, despite the swipes made against my predictions from the usual suspects, many people agree with my point assertion.

Only among the nappy wearing bed wetters.

I would rather wait, take time and sign hte right player than buy quick just to appease a few nut cases in the fanbase.

I, on the other hand, would definitely class you as a bedwetter! We've had a manager for what, a couple of weeks? We're four days into July, for goodness' sake, and we've got ITK knowledge that we'll have a signing by Tuesday. We've also signed up 9 academy players and given two academy graduates new contracts too. What more were you expecting?

How you can make an accusation of 'bed wetting' when you could conversely be accused of complacency. We have lost our chairman with another one gone AWOL , manager, youth team coaches, three key players with at least another 3 key players possibly wanting to leave! These are facts, not just conjecture. We have signed a new manager but no players. We are into pre season training. We possibly have players on strike and say what you like but if this isn't a club in turmoil and with water still coming in faster than is being pumped out then I don't know what is........

We have sleep walked into a new season before now without making signings, people are concerned we will do it again... That's not bed wetting, however you appear to be complacent and the evidence of the last six months says the board may well be too....This is a concern would you not agree?

I wouldn't class myself as a 'bedwetter' but am getting increasingly concerned that we have not made any signings yet.

We are going to need 6-7 new players to replace departees and improve squad depth but we have made none yet. Other clubs like West ham, Liverpool, Man U, Hull, Swansea are getting deals done early doors and I truly hope we are not left behind. I'm sure the club have signings lined up (or at least hope so) but would truly love 3-4 signings over the next week or so to settle things down.

Hopefully RK can persuade Morgan to give us one more season and, if we don't hit targets this season, allow him to leave with our blessing next summer. Lovren can p**s off after we helped resurrect his career.

Here's hoping for some good news over the next week or so.....we are due some for sure.

Academy alone will not be enough to bolster the squad but maybe the likes of Reed, Stephens and McQueen will be like new signings for us.

I must say I do agree with this. We needed a new CB and keeper before all the recent upheavals and now we also need at least one good striker, and a pacey midfielder. Now it increasingly looks like Lovren and/or Schneiderlin will be going so they need replacing. The current Saints set-up does come over as rather complacent and inactive. All a bit worrying.

I'd say Osvaldo and ramirez were players we had been chasing all summer and the only reason they were late signings was because they wanted to see if there were better offers. The fact that Osvaldo took a pay cut to go on loan suggests money was not an issue for him signing for us and I don't think it was for Ramirez too. I think we offered clubs enough money to buy them from too. i just don't think they were that keen on joining us. I do think if players stall so long to see if there are better offers then we should definitely not buy them as they are clearly not interested in Saints.

As for Mayuka and Yoshida, I don't think they were first choice picks but only came through because other deals fell down. In an ideal world all our business would be done early but unfortunately life is not like that. I'm sure we are doing all we can to sign players and as long as we don't adopt the Tottenham way then i'm happy.

How you can make an accusation of 'bed wetting' when you could conversely be accused of complacency. We have lost our chairman with another one gone AWOL , manager, youth team coaches, three key players with at least another 3 key players possibly wanting to leave! These are facts, not just conjecture. We have signed a new manager but no players. We are into pre season training. We possibly have players on strike and say what you like but if this isn't a club in turmoil and with water still coming in faster than is being pumped out then I don't know what is........

We have sleep walked into a new season before now without making signings, people are concerned we will do it again... That's not bed wetting, however you appear to be complacent and the evidence of the last six months says the board may well be too....This is a concern would you not agree?

Although I agree with the sentiment, I'm just a but calmer about it. I'm not sure for instance that it's a FACT that a chairman is Absent WithOut Leave. I'm also less inclined to use the term FACT when prefixing it with "possibly".

The facts are:

we had a good season last year finishing 8th. That's now gone.

We have sold three key players, 2 of which came from League 1 with us, one whom has had one season.

We have lost our manager who some fans questioned but most were happy with. We have replaced him with a manager who some fans have questioned but most are happy with.

We've added a reputable goalkeeping coach and coach

We have around 7 weeks until the start of the season.

The following is opinion, spot the difference:

The saints board and management team will be aware of how unsettled things are and that if they want to make a fist of next season we need 4-8 good signings. To get that sort of success rate is unlikely.

Koeman probably knew this situation and may have even sanctioned the moves for Shaw and lallana. I'm hoping we stick firm with Lovren and Morgan, losing them would be a massive problem at this moment in time.

I'm confident we are looking to sign players in the best interests of the club and as quickly as we can. Some of these will be to replace the guys who have left, some additions. I'm also relatively happy with our transfer dealings over the past few years and consider them good when compared with other clubs.

My feeling is of worry about the discontent, nervous excitement about the new season and next 7 week, happy to see Koeman in charge and what he will do with it, determination to enjoy it no matter what.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Fantastic post, but don't expect a reply from those with sand in their ears and eyes.

There's a long way to go in this window, which on one hand is lucky given our problems but also long enough to lose Lovren and Schneiderlin for certain. Furthermore, the departures can only make us less attractive to quality incoming replacements who will generally hold out for more ambitious clubs and keep us as a fall back position for late in the window if that doesn't work out. This means we are likely get the more mediocre players who are coming here late on, feeling somewhat disappointed and with their egos bruised. Not a great basis for the new season.

So what exactly are you doing then

apart from trolling this me

ssage board like you have done for years? When is the march?

Isn't this a discussion board where people express their opinions. Are you saying that you a. Dont have an opinion and so have nothing to discuss or contribute ? b. Don't see there is any point in discussing opinions c. Don't agree with people expressing their opinions.

What is your problem ?