A nice story - Marian Pahars

georgeweahscousin

The 'bit part heroes' thread prompted this....

A colleague of mine is Latvian, we got talking a while a go, and amazingly he had never heard of Marian Pahars. I told him all about him and he was intrigued. A few days later he said he had spoken to his friend back in Riga who works for the Latvian FA (in what capacity I'm not sure, administrative by the sound of it), he said if I ever wanted to speak to Marian just let him know and he would arrange an interview....

...anyway....

....said colleague went on his annual three week holiday back to his home country. He told me to give him something to sign as he will visit his friend at the Latvian FA and he can pass it on. I made a montage picture of the build up to, his goal, and celebreation against Pompey (so I can frame it).

When he arrived at the Latvian FA HQ his friend said that Marian was on a day's holiday but he could leave the picture and he would get him to sign it. At this point Pahars' secretary interrupted and said I'll call him. She phoned Marian, who promptly said he would come in especially to sign it. My colleague spoke to him and apparently he spoke of Saints and his goal v Pompey with a clear glee. He also made it very clear that I could contact him through the Latvian FA any time if I wanted to speak to him for the website etc.

There is nothing really to this story, other than it can be filed in the small but cherished 'Not all footballers are selfish, arrogant ****s' folder. Can't wait to get the picture (which the Latvian FA have couriered so it didn't get damaged).

The 'bit part heroes' thread prompted this....

A colleague of mine is Latvian, we got talking a while a go, and amazingly he had never heard of Marian Pahars. I told him all about him and he was intrigued. A few days later he said he had spoken to his friend back in Riga who works for the Latvian FA (in what capacity I'm not sure, administrative by the sound of it), he said if I ever wanted to speak to Marian just let him know and he would arrange an interview....

...anyway....

....said colleague went on his annual three week holiday back to his home country. He told me to give him something to sign as he will visit his friend at the Latvian FA and he can pass it on. I made a montage picture of the build up to, his goal, and celebreation against Pompey (so I can frame it).

When he arrived at the Latvian FA HQ his friend said that Marian was on a day's holiday but he could leave the picture and he would get him to sign it. At this point Pahars' secretary interrupted and said I'll call him. She phoned Marian, who promptly said he would come in especially to sign it. My colleague spoke to him and apparently he spoke of Saints and his goal v Pompey with a clear glee. He also made it very clear that I could contact him through the Latvian FA any time if I wanted to speak to him for the website etc.

There is nothing really to this story, other than it can be filed in the small but cherished 'Not all footballers are selfish, arrogant ****s' folder. Can't wait to get the picture (which the Latvian FA have couriered so it didn't get damaged).

Amazed that your mate had never heard of him, I had a chat with a barmaid at one of my locals (IoW) and when I discovered that she was Latvian I naturally mentioned ' Super Marian's', her eyes lit up and she declared that he was a national hero !

I spoke to her quite a bit after that and thank Marians for the opportunity !

Ps.

Just for the benefit of Bearsy, yes she was also very impressive up front :)

Not worthy to be in the same thread as Pahars.

'I have a yoghurt in my fridge that is about to go off that I care about more '

The Fundación Agustín Delgado was set up in 2002 and provides hundreds of children with schooling, medical care, and, of course, a state-of-the-art sports centre. Originally it was intended to cater only for Juncal but it has grown to serve neighbouring villages too.

The loudest atmosphere at a match I can remember. Had my walkman radio on to get the scores from the other matches, turned up full, and couldn't hear it due to the noise of the crowd. Amazing.

Also, arguably the most important game in our recent history - if we'd gone down, the chances are we wouldn't have SMS.

As a kid, he probably was my favourite player. When I was about 10, my neighbour in our street in Netley sold him a car and Marian Pahars went round their house for some reason.

The neighbours asked if it would be alright if I came round for a bit as well so I could meet him, and he was more than happy. I went round there and very shyly had a chat with him and had a photo and that, he was genuinely a nice chap and it's not hard to see why we Saints fans hold him in such high regard.

Good memories.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

The most distinct memory from my childhood supporting saints. I knew the result from earlier, just sat up to watch motd - the cries of the commentator as he headed home Beattie's cross was drowned out by my tears of joy watching that go in.

An absolute legend if ever there was one. I was gutted to miss him when he visited Belfast with Latvia as coach a few years ago because he's about the only former player I'd actively make the effort to thank him for his memories.

i think he should be on the legend bar above,if kk can be on it so can marian

All the talk of Lallana getting on the Legends banner last season seems all very silly now. Marian though I think warrants a place. The second he joined us he lived and breathed the club and was a legend on the pitch.

Every time I see his two goals (the second against Everton and the on against Skates) it gives me goosebumps.

Great player, great guy (from what I can establish) and IMO a legend.

Amazed that your mate had never heard of him, I had a chat with a barmaid at one of my locals (IoW) and when I discovered that she was Latvian I naturally mentioned ' Super Marian's', her eyes lit up and she declared that he was a national hero !

I spoke to her quite a bit after that and thank Marians for the opportunity !

Ps.

Just for the benefit of Bearsy, yes she was also very impressive up front :)

Yeah I found it bizarre too, though he insists that Ice Hockey is way more popular than football there. Which pub on the Island?

Yeah I found it bizarre too, though he insists that Ice Hockey is way more popular than football there. Which pub on the Island?

I know quite a few Latvians and only one of them has any interest in football. However they were all going mental on Facebook during the Olympics whenever the ice golf was on. It's like a religion over there.