Ronald Koeman on Artur Boruc's future at Saints

Saint-Armstrong

If he is still here after the transfer window ends he could be loaned out until January with the right to recall him in an emergency.

We'd either have to loan him out for a fixed period (e.g. a month/two months) with a recall clause (and be subject to the various limitations on how many times a player can be loaned in a season / how many loaned players the loaning club can receive, etc), or a season-long loan from which the only recall allowed is during the January transfer window.

When we played West Ham at home last season Jaaskeleinen put in one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen - could never imagine Gazza keeping out the shots he did, a spectacular save from Morgan's volley in particular...

And Jaaskelainen has been spectacularly gash with jellied eels for wrists for about 3 years now, including losing his place to Adrian at West Ham - which just proves anyone can have a good day - just like Gazzaniga did at Cardiff on Boxing Day (though the official stats show he didn't make any saves - he made one superb stop from a defensive clearance/deflection).

And Jaaskelainen has been spectacularly gash with jellied eels for wrists for about 3 years now, including losing his place to Adrian at West Ham - which just proves anyone can have a good day - just like Gazzaniga did at Cardiff on Boxing Day (though the official stats show he didn't make any saves - he made one superb stop from a defensive clearance/deflection).

So spectacularly gash that in 2012/13 he was runner up to Winston Reid for West Ham player of the year. Carry on. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hello! Polish fan here. I've been following this forum since AB signed for Southampton. I must say I'm a fan of him, however probably not as enthusiastic as irene. I understand your frustration about Boruc's latest actions but can't get all the hate on here.

Also I don't believe that FF is a better goalkeeper. He's got time on his side and with Boruc being 34 in in a couple of years he'll be better than Artur. But IMO he'll never get anywhere near AB from his top years.

Just to let you know - Boruc has got a history on winning the competition with really good goalkeepers (IMO better than FF). When he signed for Celtic from Legia, Celtic's first choice was a highly rated keeper called... David Marshall. Didn't take a long time for Artur to get better of him. Then he went to Fiorentina where Sebastien Frey was the number one. Even with little knowledge of Italian football one must know that Frei did have a very strong position there. Artur won the competition again. I think Boruc wants to leave now because he reckons that the competition with FF would not be on level terms. After all Forster is England's international keeper and has just been signed on a multi-million deal and Artur is 34 yo Polish goalkeeper.

You had a goalkeeper that on his day was still up there with the very best. Ok, he's got the bad side of his game (kicking, stupid error once in a while), but I think he deserves a bit of credit for his seasons with you.

No bad feelings and really hope that you do well this season. Hope for Wolves vs Southampton meeting in the top flight next year.

Hello! Polish fan here. I've been following this forum since AB signed for Southampton. I must say I'm a fan of him, however probably not as enthusiastic as irene. I understand your frustration about Boruc's latest actions but can't get all the hate on here.

Also I don't believe that FF is a better goalkeeper. He's got time on his side and with Boruc being 34 in in a couple of years he'll be better than Artur. But IMO he'll never get anywhere near AB from his top years.

Just to let you know - Boruc has got a history on winning the competition with really good goalkeepers (IMO better than FF). When he signed for Celtic from Legia, Celtic's first choice was a highly rated keeper called... David Marshall. Didn't take a long time for Artur to get better of him. Then he went to Fiorentina where Sebastien Frey was the number one. Even with little knowledge of Italian football one must know that Frei did have a very strong position there. Artur won the competition again. I think Boruc wants to leave now because he reckons that the competition with FF would not be on level terms. After all Forster is England's international keeper and has just been signed on a multi-million deal and Artur is 34 yo Polish goalkeeper.

You had a goalkeeper that on his day was still up there with the very best. Ok, he's got the bad side of his game (kicking, stupid error once in a while), but I think he deserves a bit of credit for his seasons with you.

No bad feelings and really hope that you do well this season. Hope for Wolves vs Southampton meeting in the top flight next year.

Artur attracts the best posters :lol:

We do not hate Boruc, most of us are quite fond of him and recognise he is a very good keeper, we just don't like him airing his laundry in public via instagram. (Irene hasn't helped).

Edited by farawaysaint

I think this is a fair post. There's no doubting Boruc is and has been a very talented keeper. He may not be expressing his frustration in the right way, but it's understandable at this stage of his career if he wants to move on when Koeman has indicated he views him as very much second choice now.

Time will tell whether the club and Koeman have made the right choice in spending big on Forster and sidelining a keeper who could have continued to do a good job for us (as he did last year) for another few seasons.

I think a lot of the fans are quite fond of Boruc, and personally I don't begrudge him his wish to move to another club. He should shut down his Instagram though ;)

That's right they were a top half side :lol:

In terms of playing style, not performances. West Ham fans would have voted for anyone over any of Allardyce's mob.

Ok, I'll downgrade to "he was shi0te enough to get dropped for a sub keeper at West Ham for the second half of last season AND was also replaced by Adam Bogdan and sat on the bench for the second half of Bolton's relegation season in 2011/12" then.

In terms of Boruc, what I want is for him to shut up and sit on the bench until Forster makes a mistake and be there in case we need him. i.e. do his job.

To be honest I've had a gutsful of players just sodding off, or mouthing off publicly, and their sense of entitlement despite contracts already, and if we do ship him out it should be a part of a part-ex for someone good enough to goalkeep in the Prem who is fine with some bench-sitting so we're not weakened.

I honestly couldn't care less about his personal opinion of his worth, nor what he thinks of the likelihood of Forster getting dropped or him getting the chance to compete. Not sure my opinion of players generally could get much lower, but at least we knew this one was a headcase when we got him and I'm not deluded enough to think any of them are role models to begin with. He's been a good keeper for us, but as with so many others, their desire to leave when they don't get exactly what they want is more important to them than anything we care about, so let's keep it purely professional, eh?

What I don't quite understand is the club's "we'll wait for the transfer window to close and see where it goes from there" approach - it could leave us with a big gap in goal in the event of an injury, which was the problem in the first place. Though reading between the lines that comes down to maintaining the no more sales position. "We are not selling you, you're a loon so we're not risking you near the team, and when the chance of leaving has gone, you'll do as we say or we'll be fining you".

A lot of the 'hate' is not directly towards Boruc, but after the summer Saints have had understandable. It's an outburst of cumulative frustration towards players being unprofessional in how they go about pushing for a move. I think Boruc is a great character to have at the club and would be a very big loss, but not if he is being disruptive.

If Boruc feels he is better than FF (I'm personally of the opinion that he isn't having been to a number Celtic games and watched FF play) he should be proving that to RK, not airing his troubles in public. If he feels he can't win that argument (and I can certainly see why he feels this) then he should either accept his fate for the next year and leave on a free or find a club who want to buy him, but not by moaning like a love-sick teenager on instagram.

Common denominator in those situations. Boruc joined a club and took the number 1 spot having been brought in with a view to achieving that. Has he ever lost his spot and reclaimed it?

Marshall was 19 when boruc came in and 21 when he left celtic though so that was a bit of a mismatch in all fairness. Boruc replaced Douglas who had left the club.

Frey knackered his knee and Boruc took advantage. Fair play, he held on to the position and Frey moved on for first team football.

I think Artur is an excellent keeper, but FF is the long-term option. He's clearly not happy to be 2nd choice which is understandable when he's clearly good enough to be 1st choice, but that's the role that the club has in mind for him. It would be a shame to see him go, but it's going that way so better to get it sorted sooner rather than later.

People saying Forster has only played in a mickey mouse league (bit disrespectful of SPL) and will struggle may or may not be right. But looking at the respective keepers' time at Celtic

AB played 189 conceded 172 clean sheets 74 = 0.91 goals per game and 39% clean sheets

FF played 197 conceded 159 clean sheets 100 = 0.81 goals per game and 51% clean sheets

Time will tell whether the right decision has been made.

People saying Forster has only played in a mickey mouse league (bit disrespectful of SPL) and will struggle may or may not be right. But looking at the respective keepers' time at Celtic

AB played 189 conceded 172 clean sheets 74 = 0.91 goals per game and 39% clean sheets

FF played 197 conceded 159 clean sheets 100 = 0.81 goals per game and 51% clean sheets

Time will tell whether the right decision has been made.

If you factor in Forster not facing Rangers for a couple of seasons it would look closer.

I was out with some Celtic fans last night and they felt the Same. They said Boruc was a good keeper and a legend for Celtic (mainly because he wound up the Rangers fans), but he became complacent, and let his fitness suffer. They said they would not want him back. They were however full of praise for Forster, who by all account behaves far more professionally and has made many very important saves for them.

They still talk about Wanyama also, and what a beast he is. Obviously I agreed. They said he scored a few for them, hope to see that side of his game this year for us.

Common denominator in those situations. Boruc joined a club and took the number 1 spot having been brought in with a view to achieving that. Has he ever lost his spot and reclaimed it?

Marshall was 19 when boruc came in and 21 when he left celtic though so that was a bit of a mismatch in all fairness. Boruc replaced Douglas who had left the club.

Frey knackered his knee and Boruc took advantage. Fair play, he held on to the position and Frey moved on for first team football.

No way he was brought in to be the number one in both cases. If so, then he would have started as number one from the beginning. In both cases he was brought in at most as an equal competitor for the 1st keeper. As I said, both Marshall and Frey had really strong position in their respective leagues.