Koeman Loving the PL

Saint Charlie

Interesting to see how poorly Feyenoord have been doing since he (and Pelle) left in the summer - I know they've had a bit of a summer sale (hey, who hasn't!) but they've gone downhill very quickly from finishing 2nd under him last season.

5th bottom of the league after 5 games, out of the CL and currently 2-0 down at half-time in the Europa. Maybe a sign of the effect Koeman had there and the great job he did with them.

oh no :(

oh google translate.

Haha basically he said: From the first moment everything was perfect, we have a good and balanced coaching staff and we can work perfect together.

If there is anyone who doesn't understand the google translate translation ask me.

I also love the Premier League, I don't say it's the strongest league in the world but it has something special.

Haha basically he said: From the first moment everything was perfect, we have a good and balanced coaching staff and we can work perfect together.

If there is anyone who doesn't understand the google translate translation ask me.

I also love the Premier League, I don't say it's the strongest league in the world but it has something special.

Cheeky monkey. Of course its the strongest league in the world, as players come to play here. English players are not the best in the world, I grant you, but the league is top of the pops.

Cheeky monkey. Of course its the strongest league in the world, as players come to play here. English players are not the best in the world, I grant you, but the league is top of the pops.

I also do think it's the strongest league in the world if you look at the whole league. But if you look at the topteams this midweek, Dortmund won against Arsenal, Bayern won against City and Schalke played 1-1 at the Bridge.

I know that doesn't say everything but the German and Spanish topclubs are currently better than the English topclubs I think but it can be totally different in may 2015.

And even when the Premier League is not the best league, it's still the most beautiful league, I enjoy every game, no matter what game.

How do you people think about it?

I agree that at the moment the top Spanish and German clubs are better than the top English clubs, but I think to a certain extent this is cyclical and in a few years English clubs are likely to be winning Champions Leagues again.

The main reason why the Premier League is best league in the world is it has so much more depth. I don't know much about the Bundesliga, but there was a game in La Liga on Monday night at Eibar that had an attendance of 4,452 (in a stadium with capacity 5,250). In England there are numerous big clubs (Leeds, Notts Forest, etc.) that can't even make it into the top tier. You have to go a really long way down the English league structure before you start seeing attendances as low as that. I know attendances aren't everything but it does give some idea of the gulf in class between the top and bottom of La Liga. The fact that Barcelona's B team is one of the consistently best performing teams in Segunda is pretty damning as well.

Well I can get the general idea of everything but I was intrigued by the following: "He has scored three goals in four games, the people are very satisfied. Without myself knocking on the chest I had even foreseen."

And also what exactly does he mean by "That comes in the afternoon to me, politely gives a hand and then with my shoes away neatly brushed back." ?

Well I can get the general idea of everything but I was intrigued by the following: "He has scored three goals in four games, the people are very satisfied. Without myself knocking on the chest I had even foreseen."

And also what exactly does he mean by "That comes in the afternoon to me, politely gives a hand and then with my shoes away neatly brushed back." ?

Koeman knocks himself on his chest, he is a gorilla, at Barça they called him Floquet de Neu (the albino gorilla).

Haha in all seriousness, what he meant was that he expected Pellè to start good in the Premier League and to score some goals.

'Without myself knocking on the chest' means that he doesn't want to sound arrogant or as someone who knows everything.

There is a boy from the Saints U18 squad who comes to Koeman to clean his shoes, Koeman told he is impressed by it, a good way to creates respect for eachother inside a club. It doesn't happen in the Netherlands.

Well, that always used to be the tradition - where an apprentice (16/17 yr old) got treated like shiite and cleaned a senior players boots, but saw it as a big opportunity to learn. I wonder if Rooney (maybe?) or Shaw (probably not) did this stuff. That 18 year old could be England manager in 30 years! Just in time for the the three quarter centenary of not winning anything.

it was really those two sentences following each other that confused me. I thought there must have been a mistranslation in the first.

having run it through bing and babelfish it does really seem as though he did say that things were coming unstuck from the beginning but then quckly onto how the new coaching setup clicked.

very abrupt but it doesn't seem as though the translation was really misleading the way I suspected.

Interesting to see how poorly Feyenoord have been doing since he (and Pelle) left in the summer - I know they've had a bit of a summer sale (hey, who hasn't!) but they've gone downhill very quickly from finishing 2nd under him last season.

5th bottom of the league after 5 games, out of the CL and currently 2-0 down at half-time in the Europa. Maybe a sign of the effect Koeman had there and the great job he did with them.

Koeman did a great job at Feyenoord but the trouble we're in at this moment has to do with the fact that we don't have a successor for Pelle. Pelle was our main man who could keep the ball in possession and made decisive goals. For now we have to do with a couple of young kids (Mitchell Te Vrede and Elvis Manu) who lack experience and lose the ball too often which results in poor play and to many chances for our opponents at counterattack. We also got an English Turk called Kazim Richards who hasn't played for 6 months. Hopefully Kazim will surprise us the same way Pelle did but he's taking his time... Last week he stated that he's not fit for 90 minutes and prefers to play 30 minutes the coming weeks. But he made a good impression when he made his debut and who knows: maybe we can sell him to Saints next year for 5 or 6 million when you lose Pelle to that idiot Rodgers! ;) But to be honest: in contradiction with most Feyenoord fans I believe we have an even better coach now with Fred Rutten, in the past he has proven with Twente that he's able to get a team to play better football while Koeman failed to make this happen in his three years with us.

Later today we play our everlasting rivals Ajax and I expect a win but some positive thinking from you lads might help!

I agree that at the moment the top Spanish and German clubs are better than the top English clubs, but I think to a certain extent this is cyclical and in a few years English clubs are likely to be winning Champions Leagues again.

You're probably right but I do have some hope that the big clubs in England (and Spain) will fall apart with all their debts like Rangers did, they are killing football and the mo*ons in the EU and Fifa and Uefa do nothing against it. Oh well, as long as there are some filthy rich Arabs, Russians and Asians who like to show off with their toys it won't happen, but one can dream right? I just don't understand that fans of ManCity or Chelsea or one of the other clubs can be proud of their team while the only reason for their success depends on the money of the owner. Where's the tradition? How can you identify yourself with all the ****s on the pitches whose most important problem is what kind of Bentley to buy next month? What to think about the idiot at Cardiff who decided to change the colours of the shirt because he didn't like them? Aren't there any boardmembers at the English FA who are worried about the national team? With all the foreigners coming in there's less and less chance for homegrown talent and the result of this can be seen every two years at the European Cup or World Cup... The PL is nowadays nothing more than a product which has to be sold to consumers, how low can you go... Let's hope things will change in the next decade, to begin with Saints beating the big 6 and Koeman not leaving the club after (hopefully) a great year!

van H, totally agree with your sentiments about the elite clubs (as they seem to be referred to). I now hope the English sides all lose in CL, but that doesn't help. It just means that they will spend even more money to try and compete. A wage cap is the only way things will change and integrity return to the various competitions. No one but some/most supporters will agree but no player needs to earn £3000000 a week. A tenth of that is more than enough in the real world, but the real world and football aren't synonymous these days.

I would love to see clubs like ours working together in some way that helps both clubs. But unfortunately I can't see it - being in PL, Saints have the buying power so might not be keen to do this. Maybe start off with the academies having an exchange programme and see where it goes from there. That is an area where our clubs can excel, while the elites are happy to take shortcuts by buying in all that they need. For example, I think Liverpool's only player from their academy in the squad is Gerrard.

van H, totally agree with your sentiments about the elite clubs (as they seem to be referred to). I now hope the English sides all lose in CL, but that doesn't help. It just means that they will spend even more money to try and compete. A wage cap is the only way things will change and integrity return to the various competitions. No one but some/most supporters will agree but no player needs to earn £3000000 a week. A tenth of that is more than enough in the real world, but the real world and football aren't synonymous these days.

I would love to see clubs like ours working together in some way that helps both clubs. But unfortunately I can't see it - being in PL, Saints have the buying power so might not be keen to do this. Maybe start off with the academies having an exchange programme and see where it goes from there. That is an area where our clubs can excel, while the elites are happy to take shortcuts by buying in all that they need. For example, I think Liverpool's only player from their academy in the squad is Gerrard.

I am pretty sure no one is earning 3000000 pounds a week.

More importantly, we already have a BPL wage cap. It is just rigged in favor of the teams that have more money and are spending it now. But so long as there are cup competitions, European football, and relegation there can be no fair wage cap because the costs of failure are so high. Teams competing in Europe need to spend more on wages because they need a bigger squad. Anyway, no big team would ever agree to a fair wage cap or anything that might cause them to risk relegation.

Quite. Beautiful use of English that shames us natives, and interesting analysis. What's not to like?

Thanks for the compliments guys, it's difficult to express my thoughts as English is not my native language but I'm trying... Especially the translation of specific football terms like "circulatievoetbal" (circulation football?) or "spelen met ruimte in je rug" (playing with a lot of space behind the defense) are troublesome. I'm learning also, when I read on this forum that Koeman is able to "gel" the team I was thinking that Koeman had a problem with the haircuts of his players and used the stuff Pelle puts in his hair... :lol:

@Redslo

I Agree, a wagecap isn't going to work. The best thing that could work is to limit the amount of foreigners at three or five players per club as it used to be in the past in Holland (in the UK also?) but that's not going to happen with the stupid politicians in the EU who believe a football player has to be treated as a regular employee at a factory. Just another reason to get out of this stupifying union... What to make of this: Real Madrid has a debt of 600 million euros and yet they buy each year new players for disgusting amounts of money. This is made possible by Spanish banks who are in trouble themselves and are subsidised by the EU. And where gets the EU it's fundings? Yep, your and my taxmoney... It's sickening. As more and more clubs in the UK become dependable of some idiot owner, the time will come that an owner will decide to move his toy to another town or city because he sees more potential or status over there, or just because he (or she) doesn't like the place in which the club is founded. Yes, American bull*hit indeed but it's coming as the situation in the PL is getting out of hand... Don't get me wrong, I still love the atmosphere around English clubs. Being a little kid in the sixtees I collected cards of European footballclubs and looking at weird names (for a Dutch kid that is...) like Chrystal Palace, Tottenham Hotspur or Wolverhampton Wanderers gave some kind of magic feeling. I still like to read the stories about these clubs and their club culture. It would be a shame when their culture is destroyed by idiots with too much money. Like we say in Holland: football belongs to the fans. I'm wondering if this is still the case in the PL...

@Angelman

You're right, Saints and Feyenoord are both famous for their academies and maybe they could learn from each other to get even better results. it wouldn't surprise me when Koeman starts a discussion on this subject. A friendly game in the pre season campaign would be nice also! :o