Morgan Schneiderlin comments in 'France Football' magazine

Saint-Armstrong

Clear then, that this is a one-season hiatus and Morgan is off next summer.

I'll live with it. He stayed for a year and worked hard to help steady the ship. He'll go with my blessing, so long as it is not to Spurs or Scousehampton.

Unless we get Champions League (which we won't).

Agree with not having a problem with it.

On the very, very slight off chance of us qualifying for the CL, would he stick around for another season just to complete the journey? Anyways, when he inevitably leaves hopefully it won't be to the likes of Arsenal or Spurs, he's genuinely even above their level

and certainly not Liverpool, way above their level……...

but it does show that the club was in turmoil and that made them act in stopping the move.

NOT fans on Saintsweb or forums but fans phoning the club and making their views known. Whether the club monitors peoples opinions on the internet I dont know but there is a chance they might.

MS was in the middle of it and he confirms that he was to go until the #hit hit the fan. It does not mean that some can now say they were right and make threads about it. Some will dress it up as false and try and shout people down with their scorn, and call them childish schoolyard names, but the main readers on here who are bright enough to see the balance of the debate, may well agree that MS was going to be sold until the club was bombarded with complaint. it was going to be a massive own goal.

Personally i dont care what caused the backtrack but thankfully it came to pass and we have MS for somewhile yet.

It doesn't show anything of the sort.

Morgan didn't want to leave because the club was in turmoil, he wanted to leave because he wanted to go to Tottenham.

And Morgan's supposed perception that the club was in turmoil doesn't mean it actually was.

The fact that Spurs only offered £10m is a far more significant variable than either a) fan unrest or b) supposed turmoil in keeping Morgan here.

Nice try.

I find it refreshingly honest that a player of ours should come out publicly and explain what went on 'behind closed doors' with such candour. He wanted to go but we held him to his contract, so he stayed and applied himself to the business of earning his pay like the true professional he obviously is. I rated Schneiderlin as a man and a player every since he first arrived here many years ago - but never more so than I do today.

Those who continuously opine that clubs are 'powerless' when it comes to contracted players who want to leave might do well to remember this business because (unless a release-clause is in effect) as long as they hold a players registration then a club is actually in a negotiating position of some strength.

Of course a lesser player than Morgan might have decided to go on 'strike' in order to get his own way - a action that would probably prove to be as damaging to themselves as it was to the club.

Morgan didn't want to leave because the club was in turmoil, he wanted to leave because he wanted to go to Tottenham.

And Morgan's supposed perception that the club was in turmoil doesn't mean it actually was.

The fact that Spurs only offered £10m is a far more significant variable than either a) fan unrest or b) supposed turmoil in keeping Morgan here.

Nice try.

Absolutely, if the figure of £10m is accurate then, with the possible exception of Lambert, it is very low in comparison to the value gained for all the other outgoings in the Summer. All players have a price!!

Nice try.

Yep, nailed it.

The 10M becomes a red herring when Morgan talks about the club not selling him for any price. In addition, he talks about interest from two other clubs and we have no idea what they would be willing to pay.

Of course though, we should disregard all of what Morgan says about the situation as he is just trying to appease the fans and was only ever interested in the money and the perceived direction of the club had nothing to do with anything. CB Fry told us so.

The worst thing the Board can do after this past summer is believe that they can get away with a similar approach in future summers.

We were in turmoil, we have come out of it well. But June and July were largely dark days for Saints because the Board did not handle the period immediately after the end of the season very well.

Nice try.

MS has stated that his transfer was pulled due to the fans being very unhappy. The 10m was derisory i do agree, but isnt the first offer always low or do you go in with your top price straight away? i think Liverpool tried the same with AL and Lovren

MS has stated that his transfer was pulled due to the fans being very unhappy. The 10m was derisory i do agree, but isnt the first offer always low or do you go in with your top price straight away? i think Liverpool tried the same with AL and Lovren

Morgan has given that as his view of the matter, it's not a statement of outright fact - read what he's said again. As far as anyone knows who wasn't actually present at the meeting, he was simply told that he was staying. The bits about fan unrest, stadium burning and so forth are purely Morgan's thoughts, not quotes from anyone at the club. Personally, I very much doubt that he was told that they had been about to allow him to leave, but had changed their minds after some fans said some unpleasant things.

Except, of course, he doesn't "state that" at all.

I wonder who tried to convince him to go on strike. Lallana, Lovren & Pochettino would be my guesses.

Ah, it's not like it would have been a completely original idea.

Other players have tried to go on strike, but let's face it, this isn't a worthy struggle against corporate oppression and better rights for workers. It's ludicrously well remunerated athletes getting paid to do something we all did as kids for fun, moaning about how green the grass is at other grounds.

They get away with it too. Kenwyne Jones' career hasn't really suffered. We might be the only people that bang on about it, and even we're not that arsed.

Ultimately, I think pragmatism lies at the heart of Morgan's decision. The board had no financial reason to sell him and his position is covered, with funds to cover again if necessary. I reckon private assurances have been made that this'll be his last season as a Saints player.

I can live with that if we can re-invest on current form. If he'd gone last window, the largely-dormant sense of hysteria would have erupted. Fair play to him for his decision to stay and for his performances since.

Edited by pap