Price of Football

ThorpG

The point is lower prices are on offer for lower opponent games, yet we don't sell those out...but the higher price games we do. Go figure.

Because for many going to a game is now an infrequent and expensive treat, so you might as well pay a few quid more and see a good team, or Portsmouth in a cup.. If the price difference is bigger you'll get a good crowd, as the decent crowd for the pre-season friendly show, and the away allocation at Arsenal (which sold out). 30.5 for QPR isn't bad either; no one is going to scrabble around trying to get an expensive ticket for that.

People go on about not needing a bigger ground, and the economics are certainly dodgy, but it's an undoubted fact that people are voting with their feet regarding high prices, as even this thread illustrates. That's why we're not selling out.

My mate still buys a programme at every game. I have to say they are very well put together with some decent artices, especially the ones about old games and players. I don't bother getting one myself though as I'm happy to just read his.

If you consider that the price of them is the same as a godawful pint of beer in the ground they seem quite good value.

Whats my opinion? That those in-charge of Premier League pricing know more about what they're doing than you in the main?

None of us 'know' much about any of this, all subjective. But hey, if we only posted what we 'know' this forum would be pretty quiet. In reality, I know absolutely nothing about the inner workings of Southampton Football Club, other than what is published in the accounts and what the club states on the website. But I like having an opinion anyway... :).

Because for many going to a game is now an infrequent and expensive treat, so you might as well pay a few quid more and see a good team, or Portsmouth in a cup.. If the price difference is bigger you'll get a good crowd, as the decent crowd for the pre-season friendly show, and the away allocation at Arsenal (which sold out). 30.5 for QPR isn't bad either; no one is going to scrabble around trying to get an expensive ticket for that.

People go on about not needing a bigger ground, and the economics are certainly dodgy, but it's an undoubted fact that people are voting with their feet regarding high prices, as even this thread illustrates. That's why we're not selling out.

But our most expensive tickets for home games are the ones that sell quickest for any game. It is only the cheapest tickets in the corners that are the slowest to sell.

Tickets can be bought as an adult for £25 for Stoke at home, I assume this offer has sold out?

My mate still buys a programme at every game. I have to say they are very well put together with some decent artices, especially the ones about old games and players. I don't bother getting one myself though as I'm happy to just read his.

If you consider that the price of them is the same as a godawful pint of beer in the ground they seem quite good value.

Magners is the only solution

How are they voting with their feet? Our average attendance is 29260 - without playing anyone decent. That is only 1000 down on last season and we've played Newcastle, QPR and West Brom at home. This will undoubtedly increase as we post larger attendances throughout the season.

First off I'm not sure where this myth has come from that southampton is an affluent area. The surrounding areas are like most big cities. Southampton itself is very much a working class city.

Secondly Regardless of if you like it or not or if people think it's over priced or not the fact that for most games the ground is at least 90% full. Which suggests that from a business perspective the price us bang on. The only way prices will come down is if people on mass stop paying them.

Thirdly it's Funny how MLG has shut up about his 50000 stadium now after banging on for years about how we'd be selling out easily every week if we had a good team with internationals in the the top half of he table.

Edited by Turkish

This of course another one of this infamous BBC non-stories that they love to use to liven up their otherwise boring front pages, one guaranteed to up the ante and getting the masses charged up. There is absolutely sod all the government can or will do about it, in reality it is nothing to do with them. The (private company) PL will keep screwing (private consumers) fans until they cry stop, simples!

Everyone will huff and puff for a few days as they do; take their eyes off whatever ball the BBC wanted us to take our eyes off - probably Yentob's outrageous salary and fees - and then back to normal when most will have long forgotten. That's how it works.

This of course another one of this infamous BBC non-stories that they love to use to liven up their otherwise boring front pages, one guaranteed to up the ante and getting the masses charged up. There is absolutely sod all the government can or will do about it, in reality it is nothing to do with them. The (private company) PL will keep screwing (private consumers) fans until they cry stop, simples!

Everyone will huff and puff for a few days as they do; take their eyes off whatever ball the BBC wanted us to take our eyes off - probably Yentob's outrageous salary and fees - and then back to normal when most will have long forgotten. That's how it works.

You are aware aren't you that the BBC are doing the same as everyone else and are reporting a story.

I agree with this, and it's why most clubs support is now drawn from outside the city centres and made up mainly of those living in the suburbs or neighbouring villages. It's also why atmospheres have dropped off in the Premier League because your 45 year old Bank Manager from Lymington isn't as likely to join in with songs as your 22 year old mechanic from Sholing.

We were discussing this at Spurs a couple of weeks back. How many people who live in and around their ground have a chance of affording match tickets?

BUt ultimately it comes down to revenue, and the clubs don't necessarily care where the match going fan comes from as long as they come.

which is a short sighted approach as we discovered a few years back when only the 15000 hardcore game, a 10% reduction in season ticket/match day tickets would cost £2.5m per season at most and may actually fill the 3000 empty seats at a lot of games thus raising another £1m over the season, making a loss of £1.5m which with a bit more effort in selling to the corporates could be made up

No. If you had kids that had crossed the threshold from U11s you'd understand.

And that's fine, so it's not the price increases, it's purely the non-provision of u17 rates, which they do.

The cheapest ticket to Stoke v West Brom for under 14's is £14. To go see Saints V Leicester:

Tickets for Saints’ Barclays Premier League home game against Leicester City will go are now on general sale.

This game takes place at St Mary’s on Saturday 8th November with a 3pm kick-off time.

This is a Category C fixture with tickets priced from £32.00 for Adults, £22.00 for concessions, £16.00 for Under-17s and £12.00 for Under-11s.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-southampton-vs-leicester-city-08112014-2006419.aspx#4ZxTUsld4c8c2oFI.99

So you're quibbling over £2 per ticket?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

And that's fine, so it's not the price increases, it's purely the non-provision of u17 rates, which they do.

The cheapest ticket to Stoke v West Brom for under 14's is £14. To go see Saints V Leicester:

Tickets for Saints’ Barclays Premier League home game against Leicester City will go are now on general sale.

This game takes place at St Mary’s on Saturday 8th November with a 3pm kick-off time.

This is a Category C fixture with tickets priced from £32.00 for Adults, £22.00 for concessions, £16.00 for Under-17s and £12.00 for Under-11s.

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/tickets-southampton-vs-leicester-city-08112014-2006419.aspx#4ZxTUsld4c8c2oFI.99

And any home games I attend would be the lowest category games.

Now go and find the prices of the top cat games, there's a good chap.

which is a short sighted approach as we discovered a few years back when only the 15000 hardcore game' date=' a 10% reduction in season ticket/match day tickets would cost £2.5m per season at most and may actually fill the 3000 empty seats at a lot of games thus raising another £1m over the season, making a loss of £1.5m which with a bit more effort in selling to the corporates could be made up[/quote'] Nice one, might be worth a quick call to the club to let them know they should just write off £2.5m and you know an easy way of recouping an additional £1.5m of corporate money that they haven't thought about yet.

£16 for an under 17 for a Premier League game in 2014 aint too bad at all really.

And any home games I attend would be the lowest category games.

Now go and find the prices of the top cat games, there's a good chap.

For a top category game at Stoke, in the family stand it is an adult at £40 and an under 17 at £23.

At Saints for a top Category game in the family area, it is £39 for an adult and £19 for a concession.

So a fiver cheaper at Saints than Stoke from what I can see?

For a top category game at Stoke, in the family stand it is an adult at £40 and an under 17 at £23.

At Saints for a top Category game in the family area, it is £39 for an adult and £19 for a concession.

So a fiver cheaper at Saints than Stoke from what I can see?

Wonder what the excuse will be now. Embarrassing doesn't even start to cover it.

Wonder what the excuse will be now. Embarrassing doesn't even start to cover it.

I'm sorry are you really getting on the back of a fellow fan who feels it's now to expensive for him to go to games and take his two sons!? Or do you seriously think that current ticket pricing is in anyway sane, fair or reflective of a lot of the people that support our club?

If you want to talk about embarrassing how about taking a look at yourself, because i'd be seriously ****ing embarrassed if i mocked even a single fan that felt they'd been priced out of the game.

I'm sorry are you really getting on the back of a fellow fan who feels it's now to expensive for him to go to games and take his two sons!? Or do you seriously think that current ticket pricing is in anyway sane, fair or reflective of a lot of the people that support our club?

If you want to talk about embarrassing how about taking a look at yourself, because i'd be seriously ****ing embarrassed if i mocked even a single fan that felt they'd been priced out of the game.

You obviously haven't read the thread where he has castigated Saints for no longer catering for his kids now they've turned 12 and that his local clubs do. I am just showing that we do, and cater better for them. I hate people slagging off the club, the club I am proud of, before checking their facts.

So before getting involved in a debate that doesn't concern you, I suggest you wind your neck in, read the thread and shut the **** up, alright dickhead?

I do think the debate has gone from lively and argumentative to just getting at people. There is clearly a pricing issue in English football, insofar as large amounts of people think prices are too high. Disagreeing is one thing, but dismissing seems odd.

Are Saints ticket prices for Cat C games insane, unfair or do not reflect the people that support our club?

I do think the debate has gone from lively and argumentative to just getting at people. There is clearly a pricing issue in English football, insofar as large amounts of people think prices are too high. Disagreeing is one thing, but dismissing seems odd.

There is, but the issue stems from clubs running costs, ie wages. If people want a decline in ticket prices, then there will invariably be a decline in quality. You can't have it both ways.

You obviously haven't read the thread where he hascstared heat Saints no longer cater for his kids now they've turned 12 and that his local clubs do. I am just showing that we do, and cater better for them. I hate people slagging off the club, the club I am proud of, before checking their facts.

So before getting involved in a debate that doesn't concern you, I suggest you wind your neck in, read the thread and shut the **** up, alright dickhead?

To be honest with you i couldn't give a flying **** about his attitude or whether you believe him or not. What you are doing is the football equivalent of the vichy government. Positively reinforcing a position (absurdly high ticket prices in modern football) that is damaging to almost every fan in the country, ruining atmospheres and turning our game into a leisure time of the elite.

Personally i think every single one of us should be backing the position that it's too damn expensive, showing solidarity for all people who feel they're priced out, and not mocking or belittling our own to win an internet argument.

Because if we don't do that then a whole swathe of people who are priced out will just be made to feel worthless, because in some people's eyes it's obviously affordable because we can compare our prices to others who's are equally expensive (which means it's not bad right?).

But yeah i'll wind my neck in, because i can afford the season ticket i've had for 20+ years, and i can afford the train travel i do for every game, because i'm alright jack.

You obviously haven't read the thread where he has castigated Saints for no longer catering for his kids now they've turned 12 and that his local clubs do. I am just showing that we do, and cater better for them. I hate people slagging off the club, the club I am proud of, before checking their facts.

I've read the entire thread and wow.....what an utter c*nt you've made yourself look.

To be honest with you i couldn't give a flying **** about his attitude or whether you believe him or not. What you are doing is the football equivalent of the vichy government. Positively reinforcing a position (absurdly high ticket prices in modern football) that is damaging to almost every fan in the country, ruining atmospheres and turning our game into a leisure time of the elite.

Personally i think every single one of us should be backing the position that it's too damn expensive, showing solidarity for all people who feel they're priced out, and not mocking or belittling our own to win an internet argument.

Because if we don't do that then a whole swathe of people who are priced out will just be made to feel worthless, because in some people's eyes it's obviously affordable because we can compare our prices to others who's are equally expensive (which means it's not bad right?).

But yeah i'll wind my neck in, because i can afford the season ticket i've had for 20+ years, and i can afford the train travel i do for every game, because i'm alright jack.

Wow, comparing ticket prices being high to the Vichy government, that is classy. For your next trick why don't you compare the low minimum wage to slavery?

If you have read the thread I haven't once said they should be high, more that I can explain the reason they are.

Before you completely combust, can you answer if you genuinely believe that Saints ticket prices for Cat C games insane, unfair or do not reflect the people that support our club?

Why? Let's break it down so I can prove you wrong as well.

'Right' and 'wrong' not really relevant here, no 'right' answer here, totally subjective. Sorry to be all boring and moderate, but all the abuse and aggro is a bit OTT... Good debate, getting derailed...

It seems to me people want to take any opportunity to criticise the club they purport to love. That's what i dislike more than anything, and why I get short with people who do without any evidence of it.

Not at all. Love Saints, happy to be constructively critical. Would love sell outs every game, happy fan base etc. etc.

So instead of a club making a 6m loss, you propose they make a 10 or 12m loss to make sure we fill the stadiums. There is NO way an overdraft facilitator would allow that.

Not sure how some selective or targeted discounts would amount to a £4 to £6m loss. Maths not your forte it seems. More sensitive pricing could be achieved without compromising the ability of the club to compete in the dire, ludicrously exaggerated terms you present. Conservatively, I'd experiment with increasing the differential between category A and C games, one subsidising the other, a move that could actually be cost/revenue-neutral. Otherwise modest redistribution (i.e. consumer surplus) would make scant difference in the big picture. Every little helps.

Edited by shurlock

Not sure how some selective or targeted discounts would amount to a £4 to £6m loss. Maths not your forte it seems. More sensitive pricing could be achieved without compromising the ability of the club to compete in the dire, ludicrously exaggerated terms you present. Conservatively, I'd experiment with increasing the differential between category A and C games, one subsidising the other, a move that could actually be cost/revenue-neutral. Otherwise modest redistribution (i.e. consumer surplus) would make scant difference in the big picture. Every little helps.

So you'd make our most expensive tickets more expensive, but our cheapest tickets cheaper (at category level). People don't want cheaper tickets to the cheap games though, they want cheaper tickets to the Cat A games. This can be seen from VFTT's posts earlier.

So how do you propose we get round this without decreasing revenues?

I know you don't like it, but in general the demand for football tickets is price inelastic, and is far more linked to the quality of the football that is on show rather than the price. A £1 reduction in the price of a ticket is not going to result in am increase in attendance of 1000 people (which it would need to do to cover lost revenues).

:lol: What do you do for a living?

Wow, go you! If you don't understand it's ok to say so.

When your income is £150m+ then the £2-3m is easily absorbed. Which demonstrates cheaper tickets are possible and doesn't make as big an impact as the OP suggested and I haven't stated they should be cheaper.

But when a company is making a loss and borrowing money you have to justify that loss - the banks won't lend money just because they want to fill the stadium.

Plus you can't guarantee that would even fill the stadium for games against Stoke, QPR and the like.

There are better ways to cut costs than relying on ticket prices increases to bridge the gap. I would expect the average PL transfer is more than a 10% increase in ticket price. However, I would argue that some clubs do not wish to be run in a sustainable way considering the PL having to introduce FFP rules. Some clubs will spend regardless up to the limit, either by having an owner injecting some cash or suffer the consequences.

Some people want all the trappings that BPL brings but at L2 prices. Poopey charge £20 - would people be happier with that? Sure, compare to Spain or Germany if you want, but look at how much profit clubs make and then see whether ticket prices are too high. Having said that, I thought with the new TV deal, prices could have stayed static rather than go up in line with inflation + c2%

When your income is £150m+ then the £2-3m is easily absorbed. Which demonstrates cheaper tickets are possible and doesn't make as big an impact as the OP suggested and I haven't stated they should be cheaper.

There are better ways to cut costs than relying on ticket prices increases to bridge the gap. I would expect the average PL transfer is more than a 10% increase in ticket price. However, I would argue that some clubs do not wish to be run in a sustainable way considering the PL having to introduce FFP rules. Some clubs will spend regardless up to the limit, either by having an owner injecting some cash or suffer the consequences.

Yes, the clubs could spend less on transfers and wages, but then you are potentially diminishing the quality, which can also have negative effects on the purchase of tickets.

What I find strange is that everyone is criticising, yet no-one has come up with a workable solution as to bringing down ticket prices. If the owners were banking the money then fair enough, but in the majority of cases they are trying to make up for a shortfall in revenue.

Some people want all the trappings that BPL brings but at L2 prices. Poopey charge £20 - would people be happier with that? Sure, compare to Spain or Germany if you want, but look at how much profit clubs make and then see whether ticket prices are too high. Having said that, I thought with the new TV deal, prices could have stayed static rather than go up in line with inflation + c2%

I don't think this is the case - I think the issue here is that price increases are outstripping wage inflation, i.e. in real terms tickets are becoming more expensive for the same product. I don't expect football to be cheap, particularly given the quality and level of the Premier League. I do think that clubs should try and avoid above inflation price increases.

£20 to watch the skates - mental...

A £2-3m hit isn't easily absorbed. Try suggesting that to any commercial organisation.

Yes, the clubs could spend less on transfers and wages, but then you are potentially diminishing the quality, which can also have negative effects on the purchase of tickets.

What I find strange is that everyone is criticising, yet no-one has come up with a workable solution as to bringing down ticket prices. If the owners were banking the money then fair enough, but in the majority of cases they are trying to make up for a shortfall in revenue.

I would think a more balanced price architecture with better concessions to under 18s etc. along with prices for programmes, food etc. at least coming into line with the other 19 clubs, not being higher. Doesn't have to be major cuts, just moderate the prices back - I think filling up the last couple of thousand seats and driving more transactions (food sales, shirt sales, programme sales) would net off. Price is not the only way to increase sales.

Also, given the materiality of the TV income (circa £80m) and given the phenomenal amount of transfer receipts we made (somewhere near £100m), shouldn't we able to balance the books without above inflation increases this season?

I don't think this is the case - I think the issue here is that price increases are outstripping wage inflation, i.e. in real terms tickets are becoming more expensive for the same product. I don't expect football to be cheap, particularly given the quality and level of the Premier League. I do think that clubs should try and avoid above inflation price increases.

£20 to watch the skates - mental...

Don't disagree with this.

I would think a more balanced price architecture with better concessions to under 18s etc. along with prices for programmes, food etc. at least coming into line with the other 19 clubs, not being higher. Doesn't have to be major cuts, just moderate the prices back - I think filling up the last couple of thousand seats and driving more transactions (food sales, shirt sales, programme sales) would net off. Price is not the only way to increase sales.

Also, given the materiality of the TV income (circa £80m) and given the phenomenal amount of transfer receipts we made (somewhere near £100m), shouldn't we able to balance the books without above inflation increases this season?

Concessions to U18's are pretty good. As was shown earlier, VFTT was saying that Stoke do excellent deals for U18's, whereas ours are actually as good.

The thing is, and i will continue to say this, if you are making a loss it's not really a case of absorbing that loss - the priority for most companies is to not make a loss nd as such if efficiency savings can be made to reduce that, the company will do this in addition to price rises. Once the club is self-sustainable then they can look at reducing prices to support the fans.

But we are in-line with other Premier League clubs and in many cases cheaper.

Outstripping wage inflation - whose?? Not trying to be (too) facetious, and is a pertinent question. While it might outstrip supporters', it certainly isn't outstripping players' wages and that is where the money is going to. I know that this does not address the affordability issue.

I do think some of the wages are ridiculous at clubs. Take United. While they have massive income streams (so maybe not the best example), they pay Rooney and Falcao, say, £700k a week (after NIC). £36.4m a year. Then taking just their BPL games, they have 19 with 75k crowds (a total of say 1.5m tickets). So the wages of just these 2 players is the equivalent of £24 per ticket. Where do you draw the line? Do you offer cheaper tickets to your customers but not employ someone on £300k a week? I wonder how many supporters at United would accept a £12 a game discount if it meant not having either one of Rooney or Falcao, or a £24 discount if it meant neither were there? I realise that this is overly simplistic, but I hope the point is made.