Why are we doing so well?

Asaint4ever

I know you're joking, but if anyone does think it's luck, I assume they'll be fine with the bad luck excuse when we lose a few?

Personally while there's a bit of luck, like if you or the opposition hit the woodwork rather than score, I think overall if you take your chances you deserve to get the points. Last season we dominated lots and didn't win, not through bad luck, just not being clinical enough. So if teams don't take their chances against us, it doesn't suddenly become about luck, it's them not being clinical enough and hence not deserving the points.

Overall, I thought 18 months ago we should be 8th minimum last season given the quality here. Now having seen our new signings, we have more depth, so while I'd say 8th minimum again, there's more chance of doing a little better. Being 2nd at this stage is very much on merit, but you'd expect Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, City and perhaps Spurs to stop being quite as dodgy over the next few months.

To ignore luck, is to actually do injustice to the things that are planned... We could not be sitting where we are right now despite the succession plan and 'southampton way' being introduced over 5 years ago.... Without luck, and as you say we could be unlucky in future and It Would NOT be the fault of the 'Way'

The Souhampton Way includes a serious succession plan - we decided on a way we wanted to play and a philosophy to give youth a chance... Which means we reduce the elements left to chance by not just seeking managers and players who are just available, but finding those (and being prepared to let them go) that are here to a job within the parameters we set. It means harsh decisions at time (nige - victim of his own success) when one part of the plan is completed early, but it is the major reason why we have not fallen by the way side.... We do not bring in managers who try and enforce their own style and philosophy- we build on and evolve the one that is already here, tweaking, improving, yes, but not revolution.

Players are recruited who fit our system, not purely on who they are. But luck does play it's part - because even with the best succession plan, and the detail scrutinised to find those that fit the plan and can slot right in, these players still have to fit in, gell and do so rapidly in an unforgiving league. Yes we "give players a chance" but the league does not. The fixture list has also given us a start that has meant wins early and that breeds confidence - we could easily be on 10 points had we had a Chelsea, City and one of the over tradition big boys in these last 9 games .... Luck does play a part. When 6-7 core players leave, you still need some luck that the targeted players are available, willing to come and that complex financials can be worked out... And then they have to settle

i was very critical of Kruger when he arrived - I was concerned that in their efforts to be different from what Cortese had brought to the club, and That he and Reed had developed under the 'Southampton Way' would be chucked out with excessive spoons... That the style and philosophy that underpinned our continuity , and the succession planning that underpinned it would be gone and we would end up like most other clubs, hiring a manger available who comes in and tries to do it all his own way.... KL and Kruger did not convince as they seemed to be struggling and even When Reed was put on camera, it looked awkward and contrived... The sales did not help.

But hats off to both KL and Kreuger who showed the strength of character to recognise, that not all that had gone before was in need of radical change... And that the most important part to our progress is still in place.

So huge kudos to teh 'Southampton Way', huge kudos to KL and Ralph for recogniziing it's value. Huge kudos to Reed for his part in building and implementing it, and huge Kudos to the Players and Ronald K for working so well and hard within it. And be thankful for the 'luck' that has given it a chance to flourish - no shame in admitting that it's played a big part to... We just have in place a philosophy that reduces it's influence.

No one with eyes in their head could possibly deny that SFC has done exceptionally well this season. We play a immensely entertaining form of attacking pass and move football that is a joy to watch and the envy of much of the division I suspect. I give credit to all at our club who have played their part in this achievement from the owner on down to the support staff - but especially to Ronald Koeman who shows all the signs of becoming as good a manager as he was a player.

Having said that you have to look back at who we have played so far this season to put this success story into its proper context. Leaving to one side Arsenal in the League Cup, the record shows that when we have played what are traditionally 'big' Premier League clubs - Liverpool and Spurs - we have (narrowly) lost on both occasions. For what it's worth I think we're easily good enough to give anybody in this division a game on our day, but perhaps only when we played more of the big boys will we know just how good we really are.

On the question of the role that 'luck' has played in our season, I suppose you might say that we have made our own luck, or even that 'fortune favours the brave' if you want to delve deeper into cliche. But let's face it there are no guarantees when it comes to signing players and had Graziano Pelle turned out to be another Ricky van Wolfswinkel ... well then we'd now be somewhere midtable looking down, rather that top two and dreaming of Europe.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

One of the reasons we are doing so well is we did not have an exhausting pre-season, we travelled the fewest miles of all the Premier League clubs for pre-season games I seem to recall.

Another reason is the players are now primed to hit peak physical condition on match day under Ronald Koeman whereas under Poch previously they could be exhausted by all the hard training on the Friday before the game.

Tim Sherwood, in his article, has hit the nail on the head and sums up exactly why we're doing so well. It's because we have IDENTITY"

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/tim-sherwood-column-southampton-are-succeeding-because-they-have-an-identity-9832243.html

...and good, honest observations from one of the most egotistical managerial voices I've heard in many a year. I wonder.....if he applied for the Saints job after MP " jumped ship? "

I have to admit to lurking on a few forums for other PL teams what I've concluded from this is we aren't actually doing very well but have a combination of the following

1) we're jammy

2) we haven't actually played anyone good yet

3) it's all going to go tits up because our players aren't that good

4) the refs are all on our side

5) when we play other teams they have an off week

I have to admit to lurking on a few forums for other PL teams what I've concluded from this is we aren't actually doing very well but have a combination of the following

1) we're jammy

2) we haven't actually played anyone good yet

3) it's all going to go tits up because our players aren't that good

4) the refs are all on our side

5) when we play other teams they have an off week

Good, let them continue.